Manchester by the Sea

Today we discuss this movie.

best of 2016

ok, you start.

good film

>tfw you are literally the main character in this film

faggots

mumblecore

where do u live cunt ill show u what a fucking faggot looks like u piece of shit hope it was worth it u got like 2 days max left to live say goodbye to ur loved ones wont be able to talk to them once i destroy ur fucking face

>have we started the fire?

faggot

fuck you

At first I've thought that he is just a fucking sociopath and acting this way because wife dropped him or something like that. But, damn, after finding out about kids. How does his ex couldn't understand that he is dead inside? His heart and sould died with kids.

It's trash

but i haven't seen it yet

so's your mum didn't stop me from fucking her

fuck off reddit

that girl is really pretty

did he deserve the oscar?

Michelle something. She got fucked on screen twice in Blue Valentine. Go watch it you degenerate fuck. You see her butt too.

How did they grow so big?

faggot

she's the blonde girl from dawson's creek and the mother of Heath Ledgers' daughter

What a bitch.

how does this make me a degenerate? Maybe i dont want to see her "get fucked", maybe i want to walk around the lake and then get a latte and a cinnamon bun?

She DOES know. That's the fucking tragedy. She still loves him but she knows something inside both of them has died. And he's so terrified of feeling life again that he runs from her. Remember how he's baffled about the cops not punishing him? He feels like he needs to be crucified. But he's never punished. He just lives on. He doesn't have sex. He doesn't engage in conversation (despite us seeing him being surrounded by friends in one scene), the mothrrfucker doesn't even have ice cream with his nephew. He's punishing himself. He "can't beat it." His wife is the only tether he has to his soul. She says " you can't die, " and he denies her. Because he condemns himself. He's noble, but he's a solemn and repented sinner. There's no path ahead to salvation, and when given an opprtunity, he rejects it.

>tfw cant beat it
>didnt kill my kids
>nothing bad really happened
>still cant beat it

fuck u degenerate. kys!

It felt like the whole point of this scene was to foreground her massive jobblies. Like, Casey notices them and gives a look almost to the camera, Office-style, and the action of the scene is fucking menial, so why else would you shoot that. Like yea, ginger orphan boy just plowed this bitch and rest assured he popped hella newts all over those wonky mooeys.

>tfw did kill my kids
>can still beat it
>mfw

If she knows, why is she trying to make him live again?

she cant see him like that she still likes him but she cant live with him because she would be reminded of what he did

I don't think that she can't live with him because of that. She has forgave him. But he is not forgave himself.

that doesnt contradict to what i said

I almost never rewatch anything, but I already saw Manchester by the Sea three times now, notice new things everytime and love it even more with every viewing.

Best film of 2016 by far, ridiculously good writing and acting.
If it weren't for the occasional jarring cuts in editing and the Adagio in G minor in the police department scene, the film would be a literal 10/10.

So did anyone else think the movie was ruined by the fact that it portrayed a straight, white male in a sympathetic manner after he rejected the advances of a POC woman due to his privileged nature?

I deepy indentified with the post-tragedy character of Lee and found all of his maneurisms, traits and situational interactions totally relatable and familiar.
But the difference is that I've had a pretty easy life so far with nothing tragic happening whatsoever.

What's wrong with me?

Lonergan's movies are so sad and moving.

Any fans of this one should definitely check out his other movies

why do plebs always think that relating to a character is somehow meaningful or significant?

I really don't understand this view of art.

its possibly the most important thing in art

I hope you don't really believe that user

Where did I say it's anything meaningful or significant?

Yeah, a film can be absolutely atrocious and you can still relate to a character because of some of his traits and his performance.
I just wondered why would I relate to someone like that if I never experienced anything remotely similar

It should be of zero importance

Understanding those characters as human beings who move you is a much different thing than relating to characters. It is only ever plebs who talk about how closely they can identify with characters in art. Sad!

Because you have an ounce of compassion? Should we have zero empathy for people because they're so different from us? Rather odd question if you ask me.

you see the small picture
understanding the characters is relatability. you dont have to have superpowers to relate to superman

No, actually that isn't what relatability means.

Ok Kermode

i didnt say what it means i said what it is

Empathy is not the same thing as finding someone/something relatable.

I have empathy for that main guy in Apocalypto, but I do not relate to his character and his situation one bit because I never experienced anyting remotely similar.

You have an interesting brain.

This makes no sense. Are you even sure what you wanted to say about Lee in Manchester? It sounds like you're now just breaking down to the point that you think Lee's body language is "relatable" and that's about it. What do you even mean?

I saw the Kermode review too, but I don't have problem with the choice of soundtrack, it's the choice of having any score at all in that scene was completely unnecessary imo.
The scene itself delivers all the impact needed and the score just takes the viewer away from the reality of the moment and ruins the immersion.

Otherwise it's pure kino

If you watch movies like this you could never relate. But twist situations into emotions and you probably felt like him

if we can't empathise the character becomes flat and alien

pure sympathy only breeds intellectual distate or emotional spite

basically if we couldn't relate to his tragedy he would just look like another sadsac and become quite disgusting

the hospital scene was amazing, and the revisits to shots in his room were something otherworldy - they were perfectly timed through the progression

I'll repeat myself
>"I deepy indentified with the post-tragedy character of Lee and found all of his maneurisms, traits and situational interactions totally relatable and familiar."

So the way he interacts with people. The one worded answers. Hating on small talk. Passively pushing people away. Drinking alone everyday. Dealing with family only when you have to.
And yes, his body language too, hands always in pockets, never looking anyone straight in the eye etc
Maybe I'm just an autist I don't know.

Why dont you just give full sentences, small talk, not drink, have relaxed body language and love your family that loves you back?

like other anons describe there is a clear reason for his decisions - he hates himself and doesn't want to enjoy anything

he wants to fog over
if you avoid others from fear and hate you will end up the same

>tfw can't beat it

Should I check out Margaret or You Can Count on Me?
Or both?

kek

Sing Street has similar elements and is infinitely better.

sing street is actually really good

no pic no proof desu famalamareamadingdong

>. Remember how he's baffled about the cops not punishing him?
Yeah, so was I. He should have been executed on the spot, fucking drunkard piece of shit.

>Patrick's trauma is connected to frozen things
>Lee's trauma is connected to burning things

What does it mean
Actually is there a deeper meaning here? This has been bugging me for months

The same exact thing could've happened if he was sober.
But Lee agrees with so there you go

>The same exact thing could've happened if he was sober.
And he would have been just as at fault and just as guilty for the death of his children. He should have been charged for involuntary manslaughter, or, at the very least, negligence.

Involuntary manslaughter implies criminal negligence, key word is criminal.

>...

best movie of 2016

He's a criminal, and a sick person. Why are you defending him?

>...
>I drive
Anyone else expected him to blurt out something to that tone?

Explain how is he a "criminal and sick person" before the tragedy?

lel

Good movie

So edgy. Don't you have some upboats to farm, gentlesir?

>movie is boring
>oh shit we need to add something to spice this boring shit up, a death in the family and him having to adopt some little shit isn't enough drama
>uhhhh let's have his house catch on fire and have it be his fault and have his kids die
>wow that will make this amazing well get that Oscar for sure

hehe you sure disconstructed the whole narrative to the core bravo the production process went just like that, you must be a highly intellectual individual

There would be literally no depth to his character without that. It's the motivation behind everything he does in the movie

>There would be literally no depth to his character without that.
Even with that there's no depth to his character.

Nah, it was very comfy to watch.
The Grand Budapest Hotel was boring for example but not this one.