Why do people say we did a mistake by selling Louisiana to America?

Why do people say we did a mistake by selling Louisiana to America?

If we didn't do it, Americans would have taken by force with a war because they wanted to expend until the Pacific.

And you would have destroyed them in a war.

lebanese frenchaboo sighted. Is your name Pierre?

No
Americans didn't have an Ocean to cross to go to fight, their population was fastly growing and they were already become more powerful than us very soon.

wouldn't* because it didn't happen.

>Napoleon sails over with the greatest army the world had seen up until then and decisively destroys any american army that comes within 100km
>Eternal Anglo suddenly declares war on France midway and blockades North america trapping army
>To survive they have to roam around tearing apart the US to keep enough supplies
>British empire is the sole world superpower to this day

>your thread has caught my attention because I myself am from Louisiana and speak french
My ancestor :)

t. david johnson from oklahoma

even we beat France in a war, they had no chance

>we destroyed mexico in war to take their land
>mexico destroyed france in war

It wasn't a mistake to sell it to us, it was a mistake to sell it for dirt cheap.

While fighting all Europe at the same time would be hard

Lololol , beating us when we have no army

*тeлeпopтc бeхaйнд ты"

Ironically france is my least favorite country.

>French withdrawal
yea, great victory.

ha ha ha

sad!

Jefferson was a huge supporter of France. He didn't make the purchase to fuck France over.It would have been a mistake to decline an offer while being otherwise occupied, potentially turning a sympathetic faction against you when the people railed that his party had failed to achieve manifest destiny with his peaceful approach.

No. You were running out of money because of Napoleon's wars, and losing Haiti to slave revolts. You wouldn't have been able to hold on for long. You cut it off before it could drain you, while gaining resources.

>sad!
It's just an Arab. We don't like them either.

self hatred is bad mmkay

Plait-il ?

>France sends a small token force to put down an entire country
>put our candidate on the throne and ship ourselves back to France
>he can't rule for shit and ends up brewing revolution against himself
>"French defeat"
Bravo Pedro.

>block the ships going to/coming from New Orleans
>win the war
Yes, what a clever idea.

You could have made peace with us and we could've killed Americans for fun.

>You could have made peace with us
You broke the last peace we had at Amiens (~1798), so I don't know how exactly we'd trust you?

>block the ships going to/coming from New Orleans
>lose your entire fleet because it's minuscule compared to any major european navy during the 19th century
The entire US navy was 4 times smaller than the tiny UK's detachment in the Americas during the war of 1812.

test

>Why do people say we did a mistake by selling Louisiana to America?
WE made the mistake by buying everything that wasn't New Orleans. Before then Pacific irredentism was a pipe dream. Buying Louisiana set us on a course to become the kike-infested cultural shitheap we are today

The founding fathers and Napoleon have a rather peculiar connection; gotta look out for your lodge brothers I suppose...

?

France would still exist, it would just be in America.
The capital would be New Orleans.

Thee real mistake France made was dragging their feet in colonising Western Australia

>French being afraid of war
but yeah receiving money is best, fuck land

There are a lot more variables and circumstances to war so your logic is invalid but yeah, pretty much.

Even Africa has a more forgiving climate than WA.

the South West is fine

Albany is pretty cold

When is the last time France actually won a war?
I mean... Algeria, Vietnam, the world wars, wars against Prussia before that, and Napoleon completely fucking up before that. I'm actually amazed that France still exists as a country, considering their consistent failure at waging war.

When is canada going to gib back our clay

>Algeria
Hugest meme ever since we won there.

>the world wars,
Ah shouldn't have fallen for the bait. My bad.

Right. Is that why it's an independent country now?

France in WWII was a pathetic display. In WWI I guess you sort of managed to keep the Germans at bay with the help of Britain and the US. I wouldn't really attribute the German loss to France, though.

>with the help of Britain and the US.
Britain was there yes but they were much more instrumental in acting against the Germans on other theaters. In the West, we were almost alone, and the first time Brits acted en masse with us was the Somme which was a catastrophe. Even by 1917, they manned something like 15% of the front, and only pulled their weight in 1918.

>the US
Joke?

>Is that why it's an independent country now?
Because we gave it a referendum once we had destroyed the FLN and won the war? That was always the plan de Gaulle had.

>once we had destroyed the FLN and won the war
I always knew the French are delusional when it comes to the importance of their country and language, but you're really breaking new ground here. Do you think the Americans won in Vietnam, as well?

The war was on but it became too expensive to hold on to an Algeria in which we'd embittered the population against us.
But yes, the FLN was dead and in the ground from the fighting unlike the vietminhs in Vietnam.

>The French Army shifted its tactics at the end of 1958 from dependence on quadrillage to the use of mobile forces deployed on massive search-and-destroy missions against FLN strongholds. In 1959, Salan's successor, General Maurice Challe, appeared to have suppressed major rebel resistance. But political developments had already overtaken the French Army's successes.

Pre-emptive surrender, yes, France would defend this

At the outset of the schleiffen plan, the British numbered only a few divisions on the far left of the front, with their leader being uncooperative in holding the line and retreating faster than the line that (lanrezac?) was pulling back. The counter offensive that pushed the Germans away from the encirclement of the army was helped by the British, though. The French fought by themselves for the majority of WW1, and fought extremely bravely at that..

Ah, didn't mean it to sound like the British had been idle either, but yes the point to get across is that Britain was quite slow in instituting conscription, and even then a lot of the recruits were funelled to Suez or the Basra region (where they were also helping win the war) which meant that France had to man most of the Western front itself.

Thank you for clearing that up!

Happy to help.

>>French withdrawal
As usual

anyone that might say that doesn't actually understand how it came to be that france was in possession of the claim to the region, or why it was sold.