Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #Sunny Sunday

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese.

Previous thread: >> 81302139

Wake up and do your reps, お兄ちゃん!

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/BAEgzZHG
youtube.com/watch?v=tYzMYcUty6s
ja.wiktionary.org/wiki/たち
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Also for future reference this is DJT#1923.

Previous thread:
Watch it, OP

why are there 3 daily japanese threads on 3 different boards

DJT got kicked from Sup Forums for being off-topic or something
so there's only two, one here and the other one on /jp/

to make it short, different board cultures

Don't think of it in terms of the value of a single word. You might only see one particular word once a month. But learn 30 words like that, and now that bundle of words is coming in handy every day. Add up the frequency of the whole bundle and you'll see those words are indispensable.

>10 minutes or sufficient
>5 minutes or 5 percent or 50 percent
How is one supposed to learn a language with this level of vagueness

Please don't make fun of gaijin who read light novels for teenagers.

german has lots of words with double meaning as well
you just don't have to think about them because you're used to it

Aren’t you anons teenagers?!
I have presumed you all were so!

I guess so. I just can't wait for the click moment when everything falls together and I no longer have to think hard when reading. Maybe 2 more years?

Is there a good website for list of normal Japanese names? I'm considering having a Japanese name due to the fact I dislike how it sounds translated.

Yes, I'm a 24 year old teenager.

being a teenager ends at 30

>星をとる
Plucking the stars

>よるです。庭にこどもがいます。そらに星があります。たくさのあります。とてもきれいです。子どもはそらおみます。
「うわあ、きれいなほし!」子どもは星がほしいです。星がといたいです。棒でとります。長い棒です。「星がほしい! 星がとりたい!」
It's night. A child is in the garden. Stars are in the sky. There are many. They are very
pretty. The child looks at the sky. "Wah! Beautiful stars!" The child wants the stars.
He wants to pluck the stars. He takes a stick. The stick is long. "I want the stars!
I want to pluck the stars!"

>お父さんがきます。そして、言います。「だめだめ。その棒はながくない。短いよ。星は遠いよ。だから、だめだめ。そこはだめ。屋根の上がいいよ」
Father comes. And he says: "Useless. That stick is not long [enough]. It is [too] short, you know. The stars are far you know. That is why 'useless'. [Like] that is useless. It is [easier] on top of the roof."

>[Like] that is useless
そこ is a pronoun and it is meaning (the place you are standing on) here.
You might have already known that definition but “like that” sounds inappropriate for me. It could be because my knowledge of English is insufficient for this case.

Ah, you're right. I was thinking of それ. Thanks!

>pastebin.com/BAEgzZHG
is it just me or have those channels stopped working all together
I get nothing but errors now

じゃあアノン達、今日も日本語で何もかもぶちまけていくんだ。
誰も読みゃしねえよ。

Yup. I guess they got shut down as well. Whoever's doing DRM for Japan is good at their job.

I really wish japanese weren't such fucking cunts about this
germany already fucking sucks, but this is just ridiculous

いや普通に開かない?
ダウンロードできないって事?

I guess けっこう is being used as an adverbal in this situation but "forgetting something fairly" doesn't make any sense. Is something like "I often forget to water the plant" implied here?

I rather couldn’t come up with any situations where “けっこう” is used other than an adverb.
In this case “けっこう(結構)" is meaning “not seriously but a little bit often”. It could be translated “often”, but for that meaning “よく忘れる” should be most proper.
(And I couldn’t tell the difference between “fairly” and “often”, what’s that?)

And oh I have forgot 結構 has another meaning, “good“.

So I've actually started reading shit

>どこまでも続く真っ直ぐな海岸線。ノロノロと走る軽トラが一台。
>ハンドルを握るのは俺。隣にはあいつ。

Now I understand this snippet perfectly well, but I'm a bit confused by the style of the writing. I know that japanese can be very short and compact since you're able to leave a lot of stuff out, but is this text snippet still "regular" everyday narration, or would a japanese native also consider this kind of writing to be very brisk / pragmatic / compact?

I am familiar with the "good" and "No thank you" part but I have started seeing it in combination with negative verbs (like in this case it's forgetting something) and I would never really know what it means. I think your post cleared the issue for me a bit.

"Often" is used when an event happens many times. "Fairly" describes a relative high quantity of something.
For example in terms of frequency: Often < fairly often < very often < always
Btw I took the "fairly" from the WWWJDICs fourth definition for けっこう. It was the next best thing after what I have guessed.

Explanations often leave out the verbs and just end with the verb stem or a noun. This is at least what I have seen in games so far.

Does anyone understand the joke on the left side comic? What is she referring to when she says "こっち"?

>秋夫と春子は、二十年前に結婚しました。春子は二十年前、きれいでした。でも、今は若くないです。もう、きれいじゃありません。秋夫はもう、春子が好きじゃありません。

top kek. Try putting that in a children's story in the West and there'd be a lynch mob.

>tfw 29 year old teenager

チクタク

I suppose the story doesn't end here

the robot I think
I don't understand the joke

No, he tells her she's no longer pretty. She decides to go back to her mother's house and dresses up. He realizes she looks pretty again. Instead of apologizing to her directly and begging for her to forgive him, he asks her for money to bring her across the river (he's a ferryman) but of course, she doesn't have any, so they both go back home, and (at least he) is happy again.

Japanese as fuck.

Hey there, /djt/

I'm taking a college course, and while I'm definitely starting to "get" the language, I feel the class has been progressing faster than my absorption.

We're up to lesson 3 in Genki. Is there anything I can do to try to catch up a bit? I like the resources like Tae Kim's guide, but it presents the material in such a different order that it's hard to make use of it for studying. Any suggestions?

>it presents the material in such a different order that it's hard to make use of it for studying. Any suggestions?
yea, stop being a lazy cunt and just read the fucking thing

Don't let Genki hold you back. There's no reason you should stick to your classes pace or only study things they've covered (and if you do so you certainly won't learn Japanese, because classes are not enough).

If you're struggling with a Japanese class that already goes at a jokingly slow pace, you need to learn a different language. Genki I and II encompasses content that can be learned in two or three weeks of diligent learning.

If you're taking a language class, you should definitely move ahead of the class's pace. You might think "If I can't keep up with the class pace, how am I supposed to move ahead of it?", but the thing is, you are not going to understand half the grammar whether you finish Genki I and II with a college course, which I think is 4 semesters (maybe just 2), or whether you finish them or Tae Kim in a couple of months. The difference is that with the latter, you can start reading, which will actually improve your ability in the language.

So yes, you should move ahead of the class's pace, but just because you're struggling with the class's slow pace doesn't mean you can't learn the language.

I'd guess they're going so slow he's forgetting shit between lessons, and he'd do better if he just blazed through it. No one is so slow they actually need weeks to 'absorb' a few lessons of Genki.

She first points the target at the real girl instead of the robot and then says "oops, robo was this one" and turns the target to the robo

I want to "add more variety" to my studies so I've been thinking of watching more jap movies

any good japanese movies about WWII?

I've only seen 永遠のゼロ and 硫黄島からの手紙

or any other movie recomendation that isn't horror or romance/drama

The real problem he probably has is he only does Japanese in class and nothing outside of class. No shit it's hard to learn something when you only do it for a couple hours a week

in that order

The Taste of Tea
Linda Linda Linda
Why Don't You Play in Hell?
Still Walking
Our Little Sister
Woman in the Dunes
Confessions
Moteki (if you know the TV series)
Love Exposure
Fish Story
Kamikaze Girls
Survive Style 5

Thank you, the Japanese aren't very funny.

Why do you think my problem is the class progressing too slow? Quite the opposite. I feel we keep moving to new material before I really understand the previous section.

In that case up your independent study time. Those who aren't smart must work hard.

Maybe it's a joke related to something about the money but I don't get it.

Learning human languages doesn't come easy to me, but that's part of why I want to try anyway.

>I feel the class has been progressing faster than my absorption.
Try actually studying?

Also, I don't understand what「ロボリアって何」 is supposed to mean.

what is ロボリア or what does ロボリア mean
って basically is という and is quoting things with the intention of defining/describing them

I can't understand how that's supposed to be funny in any way, shape or form. But thanks for the explanation.

the problem with using 4 panel comics for study is that they're stupid and generally not funny
making the student think they did something wrong during the translation since the end result makes no sense

Or maybe you are just shit at the language so it takes you multiple minutes to figure out the joke when it's supposed to be something you think for a second, have a chuckle and move on

Here's a theory: she says "but what about the money" and the other girl brings up a target which is meant to make you think she's doing wordplay on "当たった" (being right on something/to hit) and that it costed a lot of money but then it turns out she just wanted to test the robot.

in this case it's not defining but it's pretty much the same meaning as は

if it's not funny in jap it's not funny in mongol too

I guess I wasn't clear enough for you. The joke is funny when you can actually read Japanese at a good pace, not when it takes you 5 minutes figuring everything out. The pacing when telling jokes is pretty important. Explaining jokes is also not funny which is basically what you are doing to yourself when you suck at Japanese

>EVERY JOKE IS A FUNNY JOKE!
ok go eat your mammi

Damn, saying you suck at Japanese triggered you that bad?
Maybe you should take it easy and watch some anime

Anime is a shit, it rots the brain, it's pulp-tier lowercase-c culture.

... Also recommend me some good ones.

From last season Made in Abyss, New Game, Tsurezure Children and Aho Girl were all good. Nobunaga no Shinobi is pretty fun too

I did not even open the comic to be honest since all 4 panel ones are stupid garbage

what I find annoying is that you don't understand what I said, which makes me doubt your comprehension skills in any language...

mt. stupid kids like you are the reason I left Sup Forumsdjt years ago
maybe one day you'll make it, I'm going back to アンドロイドは電気羊の夢を見るか...

Why would you read shitty translations of English literature?

Thanks! Nobunaga no Shinobi looks like fun indeed.

>implying I'm not far ahead of you
No need to get jelly

私たち
僕たち
俺たち
君たち
あなたたち

I understand the purpose of たち
However, I also see the following being used
僕ら
お前ら
彼ら

I'm assuming たち and ら pluralize the persons to turn I into we and so, but I don't see words like
私ら
君ら
俺ら
Or are those actual words that I don't see being used anywhere?

The last three are also used, you just haven't seen them yet.

I give up

I'm too dumb too learn Japanese.

I'm going to learn an easier language like Korean or Dutch

So is there really no difference between たち and ら?
I'm throwing a wild guess and say たち is polite.

>Korean
>similar grammatical structure
>blander culture

Okay well Dutch or Spanish

I'm just too retarded to learn Japanese

>説明するのは、少し骨が折れるから

What does this mean? Does it translate to "It would be too much of a pain in the ass to explain it"?

ら attaches to pronouns and refers to a group of people that qualify under that pronoun. たち attaches to a personal reference and refers to a group of people that contains the person referred to by that personal reference.

don't give up user
we believe in you
youtube.com/watch?v=tYzMYcUty6s

seems right

dutch sounds fucking disgusting and it's totally useless
I don't like spanish either 2bh but as a burger you might have an actual use for it

シジミがトゥルル
俺もトゥルルしてぇなぁ

Nice. I guessed right.

I really want a cute Japanese girlfriend...

Fuck...

たち doesn't make plurals; Japanese in general does not have plural forms except for certain pronouns. たち is more like saying "... and company" or "... and friends" or something similar. It's also never used for inanimate objects, unless you're trying to be really cutesy.

you can say stuff like 犬たち though, which makes it plural

it's not a plural
representing a number of multiple objects does not make something plural

>it's not a plural
>複数の人を表わす語

you're just splitting hairs, it's a pluralizing suffix

>It's also never used for inanimate objects
you can also use it for stuff like 星たち

After witnessing the life of my friends who have girlfriends, I no longer want one so much as before. They always have to do something with her, just for some fucks every week, and it's not like they're attractive enough to merit that level of dedication.

From what I've seem having a girlfriend is like playing an MMO for the first time: it seems awesome and a lot of fun at first, then after a few months you lose interest but you still grind and do the daily quests because you're hooked, wasting a lot of money and time.

>people have somehow gotten into an argument about some fucking comic joke in a Japanese thread

I'm not splitting hairs. There's an important distinction between たち and a true Indo-European plural, and you'll need to understand that, or you're going to end up using it wrong and look like a ばか.

you act like as if that was unusual

everyone's well aware that it's not literally the same, but it does have the function of pluralizing stuff
so there's no need to overcomplicate shit

ja.wiktionary.org/wiki/たち
>たち【達】
>名詞、代名詞などに付いて複数形を表す語。

>>people have somehow gotten into an argument
>somehow
People love being right and telling others that they're wrong.

I'd like to think that at least sometimes, it's because we want to teach people so they can improve themselves.

>Nice. I guessed right.
Trust your instincts

Did anyone ever figure out how to hook text on Windows 10? Or is it still fucked?

I installed Windows 7 and it worked, would recommend

I don't want to go back.

Doesn't Brazil have the highest amount of Japs outside of Japan? There's a good chance they'll speak Portuguese too.

nah they've all miscigenated at this point they're barely jap anymore. also asians tend to be turbo sjws despite never facing any real discrimination

>tend to be turbo sjws despite never facing any real discrimination
But that's the very definition of an SJW: being offended on behalf of other people

Are there any decent intermediate level light novels in the DJT library that are mystery/horror?