People are telling me 13 Reasons Why is "actually good". Looks Cyberbully tier to me. Is it worth a watch?

People are telling me 13 Reasons Why is "actually good". Looks Cyberbully tier to me. Is it worth a watch?

>young adult fiction

I'm thinking I'll skip this one.

I'm actually sympathetic to people that kill themselves. But this is a bad joke of a tv show that should have never been made

I want to know how many pallets of pink lipstick they went through during production.

I liked it but wouldn't rewatch it because it was pretty damn dark for a HS teen drama

Saw the first episode. It kind of hooks you

it being dark is the only reason im even considering watching it.

yeah, I'd recommend it. aside from some cringey dialogue at parts it had me hooked throughout

Watch 10 minutes of it. That's all it takes to realize how shitty it's going to be

Is it shit? From what I've seen, it sounds like shit. And liberals complaining, "OMG I FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE!!!".

I liked all the tattoos on the High School students

I'm a minute in. Is this entire thing about her blaming others for her own suicide? What fucking person says, "you didn't help me, so I killed myself"?

It's pretty engrossing but it kinda sorta justified the suicide with its shit writing towards the final episodes. Overall it's a 7.5/10

yes, 13 reasons why I blame everyone for me killing myself

The concept already sounds idiotic. Most people who are suicidal give clues to their closest friends, even if they may not outright tell them. They may actually explain this in the show, but I highly doubt it. What person blames those who didn't talk to you about your suicide if they didn't know?

In my early teens I was suicidal, though I was never raped or anything, but the decision was MINE, not others. A minute in and I'm already annoyed.

I watched it all in 2 days and I can very much recommend it. Ignore the "boo hoo she got bullied" comments who haven't seen it, it's much deeper than that.

I've really never watched a show that delved deep into depression and feeling completely alone quite like this show accomplished. There's a particular incident that happens to push her to actually do it, but all the preceding episodes build up to that incident that actually pushes her over. I'm trying to be vague so I can't fully get into it, but I found it fucking heartbreaking to watch.

Knowing this board, I'm going to be called a faggot but I don't think I've ever watched something that's affected me on this level. I don't know how or why I connected with it on the level I did, but I did and I've actually felt shaken the past couple days since finishing it.

There are some flow issues in the middle with a couple story threads feeling fairly insignificant but as a whole it makes sense. It's just believable enough to not feel cheesy and almost everyone is fantastic, especially the two leads and Kate Walsh.

Also, the suicide scene itself is fucking brutal along with another scene in episode 12 that I won't reveal.

Go in with an open mind, give it a chance like I did. I had the same reservations that it would be a shitty YA novel adaptation preaching "bullying is bad" but it's much deeper than that.

My only real complaint is that it sets the table for a season 2 which may or may not be fine, but I wish it'd been a completely self contained story. It does have finality with the Hannah story itself, so don't worry about being cheated there, but I could've gone without a couple things at the end.

tl;dr Watch it

I loved it. The last 3 episodes will likely crush you.

I always forgot how fake people are after a suicide pretending that they "loved" the person and sharing posts on social media for their own attention.

You'll see if you just watched. It gives you that impression at first but you'll see. It's more about feeling isolated and alone then realizing you really have nothing there for you when you need someone most. She's not blaming, more explaining why.

The recurring theme is "you never know what's going on in someone's head" and the whole show sets up she no longer has any close friends to really give a cry for help. And she does take the blame for some of it, mainly in regards to Clay.

Just watch it, the last 3 episodes in particular are devastating.

The whole show spent so much time on the characters getting their comeuppance for what they did to Hannah even though it should be the exact opposite. It should have been a learning experience where they all accept their fate and become better people as a result while still knowing that ultimately she was the one who pulled the trigger and turned seemingly small incidents to huge events to justify her own suicide. Everyone was in the wrong. Instead it's people like Clay going:

>OH MY GOD I KILLED HANNAH
>"Yes Clay, you did kill her. We all killed her."

And then Hannah on Clay's tape:

>"yeah you didn't really do anything this whole part was my fault"

I don't see the appeal of it at all. Saw a few episodes with gf and a friend and the characterization is just... poor. Her tapes show an analytical distance to everything she narrates, kinda like she was getting through therapy and understood the problems she was facing. Not at all the mindset of a suicidal person leaving a farewell note. It actually got to the point where we were asking if she was a sociopath.

World building also has some glaring flaws. The poor spic drives a fastback Mustang in such mint condition that it's worth more than the jocks' audi. The soundtrack makes no sense for the time period, why are teens only listening to 80s music? All in all, feels like a straight to TV movie (kinda like cyberbullying, actually)

Give it more than a minute, you're making a pretty quick judgment on a really good series with a lot of strong points.

Without spoiling everything, she does give a heap of clues that people ignore. She doesn't necessarily blame all of the thirteen people. After all, it was basically the cruelty of one person and the negligence of another that pushed her over the edge. Most of the reasons were just detailing how she slowly lost her faith and trust in others as a result of bullying, harassment and so on.

The show doesn't position her suicide as something decided by others. She very decisively does it of her own free will.

Keep going with it, user. It's worth it.

i read the book plot on wikipedia

this is pure YA teen melodrama shit, honestly don't waste your time

I disagree. The flow is pretty bad, so she never actually seems alone. Every episode has her getting close to someone new, she never actually feels ostracized like you say. The tapes are narrated in a too collected and analytical speech, not at all the mindset the series states she was in. And even the confrontations don't feel lasting. She is heartbroken with the protagonist when he mentions her upskirt picture, then is all smiles and giggles with him in the next episode.

As someone who still is being treated for depression and who have landed himself in the ER after a suicide attempt, this show never comes close to what it tries to portray. If you want good suicidal characters in movies, go watch scent of a woman. Hell, even the daughters suicide in American horror story is way better than this

S2 will be fine as long as they don't do some bullshit about Hannah making a second set of secret tapes or shit like that.

This series was really strong with a few weak points. One episode in particular, I think it was Zach's tape, was god awful. Every five minutes, Clay had some stupid hallucination where people said and did shit in his head that they weren't doing in real life. Apart from that, it was a solid series.

This is addressed in the last episode. The tapes were her own form of letting it all out and she considers not going through with it until the events of tape 13.

Also, I work with a Mexican guy who is dirt poor who drives the exact same car but in black. In the show, the guy and his dad are mechanics, can you not draw your own conclusions there?

As for the 80s music complaint, what the fuck?

And since I doubt you'll finish it, she gets raped and that's why she actually does it so it's much more than the bullying stuff throughout the show.

Almost everyone saw her as an easy slut and most of her friendships with basic at best. As far as I can remember, the series takes place over a reasonably long time, so it wouldn't really be sensible to have the minor confrontations drag out over episodes.

The reason for her collected and analytical speech is that she is resolved to kill herself and now is just curious as to how she reached that point in her life. It doesn't seem out of place considering her mindset and her motivation to carry out her plan. Not every suicidal person is going to act in the exact same way, and this show does require that you believe a suicidal person would create a bunch of tapes for those who fucked her over. That shit isn't exactly realistic.

Five minutes in and the single button needed to listen to the tape breaks. Jesus Christ.

Rape AND suicide, sounds like some grade-A entertainment!

Ya that's exactly what I'm hoping they don't do, but surely they wouldn't.

Zach's tape was the weakest, but I give Clay's hallucination stuff a slight pass given his past psychological issues and the overall situation.

I've had "The Night We Met" playing on repeat for the past few days after watching this. Fuck that song is heavy.

The exact same? That's a 67 fastback mate, that thing goes for over 25k on ebay auctions. I'll concede that I overshot with the audi thing though, you're right. The 80s stuff is minor, but it's just weird for a highschool. Made me feel the same temporal disorientation of It Follows sometimes.

But yeah, I know that spoiler

Holy fuck yeah. Pretending to know a person and pretending to mourn them just to fit in or to take away some of the attention for yourself. It's retarded.

World's Greatest Dad did this way better.

>why are teens only listening to 80s music?
was recently in highschool I can assure you this is a thing. there is a certain "clique" of hipsters that swear by the word of bands like Joy Division and New Order.

The absolute worst ones are the ex girlfriends who do this. Never seen a guy do it but I assume it's just as bad. Not suicide, but them dying in general is what I'm talking about.

"oh look at meeeeeeee"

Watching this right now. My gf watches all of this teen garbage (we are mid twenties). She left for work but I'm hooked and will watch this entire season in one sitting

I'm on episode 1 and annoyed as fuck already.

Some of those were pseudo-80s songs. Modern artists with that same sound. Like the other guy said, they're mostly hipsters who listen to them and me holy fuck I love that type of shit and I'm not at all hipster

also I don't know if it was just me but I noticed way more 00's indie music than 80s. Clay and Hannah had Arcade Fire and The Shins posters in their rooms, and Lord Huron was all over the soundtrack

First off, so close to them quints.

Second, if you can't get into it by 2 or 3 maybe it's just not for you.

I remember a person at my old high school hanged herself and saw on Facebook how everybody "missed" her, yet weren't there for her before she made that final decision.

In college, somebody I barely knew died and everybody was "devasted", yet stopped giving a shit a week later. I hate people.

I absolutely HATE "coincidences". The boombox breaking so he steals his friends. Yeah, I'm sure that won't be brought up later. Now there's "somebody" who knows everything that she trusts this entire plan?

I noticed that too

No one except Clay seemed to be doing that though? Everyone else on the tapes was trying to figure out how to cover themselves because they claimed she was lying and a bitch

That's pretty normal desu, the girl's rooms were actually some of the more realistic interpretations I've seen. That's the sort of things you'd seen in those hipster/trendster kids' rooms.

Do people actually notice this stuff and get bothered by it? Sometimes it is bad when the set designers/crew are clearly out of touch with modern teens but I had no issue with it in this show. And I loved the music throughout the show, it fit well.

In their school, a few people were on their phones going through posts online.

Yeah I didn't have a problem with the indie stuff at all, I was just saying how the 80s remark wasn't true at all

it could have worked better as an anime

Him stealing it is brought up by his friend later in that episode.

If you can't have some level of suspension of belief, youre gonna have a rough time. Along with most other movies/tv shows. But I can't quite tell if you're confusing coincidence with "setup and payoff" which everything that's well written does.

And the memorial at her locker and whatnot.
Her mom even references this when she says "if they really knew Hannah they'd know she thought roses were a cliche".

I meant coincidence as in, this is going to be a domino effect. It's an idiotic plot device that makes no rational sense, when you can have a much more realistic belief.

It's such an overused trope, that I consider it a cliche.

I can see what you mean -- if he didn't break the boombox he wouldn't have stolen the tape player. I personally didn't think it took away from the episode though

old guy comes in with a fucked up mustang to the mechanic and they mechanic offers to buy his pos, he then repares it and gives it to his son cause he's a good dad like that

no. its fucking annoying. he could easily just listen to all the tapes and figure out what his deal is, instead he fucks into other peoples lives trying right their wrongs for some dead chick.

and why does every in that fucking high school have multiple tattoos?

Did this show stir up a lot of personal shit for anyone else? Not even regarding suicide and all that, but in regards to isolation?

Something about it really drove home the feeling of losing someone you love and knowing you'll never get them back. Also knowing you have people around you who do care, like family, but you're still feeling alone for whatever given reason.

Anyway, I haven't seen something in a very long time that's left me this haunted and emotionally impacted. I think The Grey might be the last thing I can remember to do that.

I don't know where you went to high school, but that's really pretty normal nowadays.

And it's explicitly addressed why he can't/doesn't want to listen to all of them in one go. He lost the person he loved and you can't see why he'd want to blame and fuck up other people's lives for doing so?

For me personally, I would want the entire story. I would wait until the end to know the entire picture.

The entire point was to learn that he was involved somehow. Could have easily done that. They're best friend's, wouldn't you go to them after listening to it all? No? Fuck it.

Personal shit, sure. Not so much relating to isolation though. The way that American media portrays and romanticises high school leaves me feeling a strange nostalgia for a time that I never really experienced because real high school is totally different.

Tony's character really hit home for me even though it wasn't really sad. Just sort of interesting to see someone similar to me on screen.

>literal crybaby trash
if this was about a guy killing himself no one would give a fuck

Just finished episode 1. Did the photo actually show her vagina? It looks like just underwear. Much worse than that have gone around my school when I was in high school.

Pretty sure that it was explained that Hannah wanted the tapes to be heard in the order of people on the tapes. So the person on tape one hears it all, sends it on to the person on tape two who hears it all etc. Tony listened to them all despite not being in them and then followed Hannah's instructions for reasons that become clear later on.

I think you're being overly critical of a really minor detail. Characters in film and TV often don't act in a way that real people do, which is where suspension of disbelief comes into play. Most people would pass the tapes on to the police or would destroy them after hearing them. Most of the shit that happened in this series straight up would not happen in reality to the same degree.

If it's a show about seeing signs for suicide and helping people that go through it, why not make it realistic and have dialogue that people would actually have with one another.

>Characters in film and TV often don't act in a way that real people do.
>Most of the shit that happened in this series straight up would not happen in reality to the same degree.

Why are people loving this shit? It's fake. This girl is literally at the barrel-end of every possible negative thing that happens in the show, it's impossible for a person to have such shitty luck, unless some higher power wanted her to off herself. It's not a real portrayal of anything.

Hand to God, I had my friend tell me the other day he almost cried and had to stop watching this show because of its "realistic portrayal of mental health". Give me a break. What the hell is happening to people these days?

Oh look it's another maxed out thread on some random Netflix YA garbage.

When I was in high school, one girl tried to kill herself by slitting her wrists in the bathroom. It was so well hidden that very few people actually knew about it, and it didn't become a huge issue. Then another girl successfully killed herself a few years later, though not many people knew her very well. No one except the family and police knew how she did it and no one knew why. Try and make a show out of that and no one will fucking care because suicide in real life isn't a mystery that can be dragged across thirteen episodes.

This show, despite requiring suspension of disbelief as in practically all other fiction shows, still successfully indicates the signs to look out for when people are feeling suicidal. The narrative ensures that people won't fall asleep while watching it.

Guaranteed I've thought about this show a lot longer than I gave any thought to the two girls in high school who either almost or successfully suicided.

No its not

true, and nobody should either way

fuck u montgomery

I wouldn't say it's a realistic portrayal, but that it's a very emotional one that draws elements from reality and exaggerates them. This is basically what TV shows do though, so it's not as though this series is doing something wildly different and shitty that we should be criticising.

One thing I will say that I felt was captured realistically was the resolve that Hannah felt when she decided she needed to kill herself.

I like it a lot, but some of the dialogue can be really bad. I hate when shows get self-aware and act like injecting that into the dialogue is good writing.
The only other thing is the disconnect between Clay and the tapes. They aren't in sync so its hard to have an emotional connection through him. Zach tape came to mind specifically. We were still learning about it even though Clay already finished, but it didn't work as intended. The first episode did it best since you heard what he did at the same time

Actually a huge leap forward to the genre
Though there's some stupid bullshit here and there, mainly the fact that the grill who an hero'd is only missing a crown of thorns and was probably born from a virgin, the acting and character development are excellent

But Clay did have a big part in killing her, though

The Mexican guy is literally the stereotype of old-wise-minority-guy. His thing with the tapes and the car all represent that, instead of making him actually old

I think it's more of an implication. Even with all the shocking shit in this series, they would never show a 17 year old's pussy

But if the actress is over 18, it's legal and would show why it spread as much. If it's just underwear, most people wouldn't really care.

She was a sophomore when the picture was taken so presumably under 18

Oh look it's another shitty comment from someone who hasn't watched the show

I'm referring to the actual actress in the show. If the actress is 18, it would make much more sense to have her vagina showing, despite the character being underage.

This

Why are you so defensive? If the show is good it will stand on it's merits.

It was the first episode of the series. They probably wanted to keep people in instead of shocking them the fuck out right away.
Don't forget it's YA. The core public of young teen girls wouldn't be very comfortable in seeing someone representing them getting exposed that way right away, even though that's exactly what happens in real life

I thought it was okay, but I'm a sucker for teenage shows with good looking kids. Plus I wanted to bang Clay's mom

What I liked is that the show never really makes you pick sides. Other than Byrce, all the other stuff is typical HS drama, but it all added up eventually which was the problem.

I didn't get why she thought her parents wanted her gone though, they clearly loved her and they had a good relationship.

Why are you so defensive? If the show is good it will stand on it's merits.

I don't think she thought they wanted her gone.
It was more of a thing of seeing their financial problems, plus the bit where she loses their money, and thinking that she was a burden. Also I think it could be interpreted as she just making up a reason to sever her only real connection to the only people who loved her.

once you watch it you'll understand how gut wrenching it is, i dont think i can watch it again

It's Cyberbuly with a more engaging plot and better actors/characters.

Clay literally did nothing wrong.

why would you watch a thirteen episode show about a thing you already know how it ends? Literally 13 hours about a girl who you already know killed herself.

I'm not even going to tell you that this show is going to get renewed for 10 seasons, right? Because that's what netflix does. They'll keep renewing this show until the end of time. Do what you want, but then don't complain about wasting your time.

At what point am I supposed to "sympathize" with Hannah?

If watching a dumb whore be a dumb whore and her beta orbiter cry for 13 hours is your thing.

Not fucking her and claiming her cherry for the migthy beta cock before Bryce.
And that's exacly why he killed her

>GET THE FUCK OUT AND LEAVE
>he leaves
>wtf clay why did you leave you piece of shit

Watched episode 1. Is this literally part of the reason why it's Clay's "fault"? Hannah's a cunt.

Unfortunately that's the reality as girls test boys all the time. They have this system wanting something to happen but doing something exactly opposite. It's painfully true.

That's literally the entire reason. They start kissing and about to have sex at a party, but in the middle of it she thinks of all the previous bad experiences she's had with guys so she freaks out and starts crying, demanding he leave the room immediately. He's completely confused and walks out as she asked.

That's literally all he did.

>why would you watch any book adaptation if you've already read the book and know how it ends

Clay is a reason because of her crippling realization that she'll never be happy because she'll inevitably ruin Clay's life.

>Why would anyone watch Citizen Kane they know his final words and that he died wtf is the point