Whiplash

So, he was right in the end, wasn't he?

He was never wrong at any point in the movie.

Wow, a sports movie about drums but since it isn't a sports movie people pretend it is high brow

At some points it just seemed like he was just being a bully, picking on the student because he himself could never be great

Thanks ending kinda proves that wrong though

No, he set up the end to destroy Neiman and had given up on him.

Pretty forgettable movie. It was alright but it left me with no desire to ever watch it again. Protag is one of the most unlikable characters I've ever seen in a movie.

>gets into an argument with his chad cousin about stupid football bullshit
>dumps qt because muh dedication
>aggressive toward his peers because he can't handle the stress the teacher is putting on him
>tries to brush off a nasty car crash
>jazz snob

Is there anything to like about this fucking kid? Would have been a lot better if he keeled over and died right at the end while playing his drum solo.

perfectly put

But neiman still didn't get discouraged

That's what he wants looking for

Four words: you will never hear from the NFL.

>He has to like the protagonist to enjoy a film

>gets into an argument with his chad cousin about stupid football bullshit
Was there any reason he did this besides pettiness? I mean yes what his chad cousins did wasn't as impressive as what he did but there's no reason to be such an asshole about it.

How else would the director manage to shove his ideals about objectivity in art down your throat?

Dumb faggot.

Jealousy probably.

wow this made me think

Because his dad wouldn't recognize him, he was impressed by his meathead cousins but his success meant little to his dad. He should've lashed out at his dad, not his cousins

Is this a thinking man's movie or i shouldn't bother?

>Jealousy
No

You sound like you're butthurt because he was right

But everything he did up until that point was to get Neiman to be great and if he'd performed then, then Fletcher could take the credit and say he found his Charlie Parker.

The final bit of bullying was for the sole purpose of ruining him completely.

>Was there any reason he did this besides pettiness

No, and that's the point. The protagonist is a self absorbed asshole who secretly thinks he's better than everyone else because he's more 'dedicated' (obsessed) about his passion. However these are usually the types of people who do manage to succeed, especially creatively, because of those very qualities.

Only an asshole tries to make his own accomplishments seem better by belittling someone else's.

I don't get what he said

"Divided by 3"

Doesn't sound that mean but I don't understand what the fuck that means, can someone explain?

Jealous that everyone was giving his cousin attention and acting like he was doing such great things with his life while his drumming went unnoticed and no one gave a shit. The way he deflected his cousin's proposal with with humor proved how asshurt he was.

>you think you're so good? Come play with us

>4 words you will never hear from the NFL

Neiman gave up after he got into the accident and couldn't play. That's why Fletcher said he was through. And after Neiman stabbed him in the back, he was just out for blood.

But Neiman took to heart what he said in the bar, and he decided not to make the mistake of giving up again.

He said it was "Division 3". Meaning his cousin plays on a shitty team against shitty opponents. Which means his cousin isn't actually that good at what he does.

That was the whole point of the film. He gave up all that could make him likeable and just became a super drum autist because that is what was required for greatness

He wasn't doing that though, he was belittling them for patting themsleves on the back (saying "good job") for their petty achievements.

Division 1 is the best?

Because he was jealous of all the attention his cousin was getting.

He's falling apart so he snaps at the first thing that irritates him. He sees football as an easy solution whereas music is highbrow academia. He thinks other people are coasting through life and he's the only one with problems. How did you not get this

This was honestly one of the best movies I've seen in a good long while.

>Lol you're looking for a career in an unstable cutthroat environment, you're such an idiot
>He said, thinking about how he's going to make a career out of music
The only think funnier would've been if he was a painter

>leaves the scene of an accident
>doesn't get in trouble

>"not quite my temp-"
>YOU DON'T KNOW FREE JAZZ HAHAHA LISTEN TO BITCH'S BREW, BITCH

Apparently you autists couldn't recognize use that those family get together a were a constant dick sucking parade for his cousin's that were basically only held to show off how much better his uncle was at raising winners.
This kid was in basically the creme de la creme of music schools and just got picked up by what's basically god in his realm of life while his cousin's were going to play college football and have their lives free fall after that.

He had finally worked up enough self esteem to not have his family get together be another 3 hour jerk off session.

Yes. Division 1 is where are all the talented athletes play.

Yes the lower the division number the higher skill level, did you not play sports in highschool or anything?

I am Italian

Fair enough Mario, knowing is growing

He wanted to be a vindictive asshole because the family didn't pay enough attention to him instead because they're all slack jawed idiots. Who cares if some retarded family members didn't appreciate his accomplishments? They clearly weren't going to be impressed by anything he did so why go full fedora on them? The family was in the wrong for downplaying a great achievement in getting into an elite jazz band and he was in the wrong for not swallowing his pride and instead sperging out at people who measure their worth in touchdowns. Two sides of an argument can both be wrong

It's the same thing in Italy, both with numbers and with letters.
With a bunch of retarded-named mid-tiers

Never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

No it's serie A,b,c etc

dont

>is high brow
It's not the plot or premise the that makes a film high brow.