It's a David Yates film

>it's a David Yates film

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/azkaban/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Basically. he is the one who made this franchise the dullest, first 4 movies were watchable.

Harry Potter 1 & 2
>holy fucking shit, MAGIC
>that Dumbledore
>perfect casting everywhere
>dat score
>blowing my 10 year old mind

HP3-7
>blows chunks of shit out my ass

this
though everyone on here talks about how great the third one is as a movie, as in it is very well adapted to the medium of film and is a good film in its own right. I haven't seen it in years so maybe I'll give it a go sometime. Still the rest absolutely suck and are just urban fantasy shit

>bring on a completely bland and uninteresting tv director to helm half of one of the biggest movie franchises of all time

I don't understand why people hate on Yates' films in the franchise. They fit the tone of the books and they're shot well. He clearly built a rapport with the core cast and it shows in their performances. Though I do wish his color palate wasn't so washed out in 6/7/8.

Cuaron is still in a league of his own with the third one though, Columbus comes across as too paint by numbers, and the 4th one is just OK. Can't even recall who helmed that one desu.

The adaptation of 4 was the worst by far, dropped a fuckton of the content, just a bare bone slideshow left at the end. Wish they had just 2 minutes to show the Quidditch World Cup though

yea I was most bummed they changed aspects of the maze at the end. Graveyard scene was pretty good though.

Are you kidding me?

>1-2
>home alone-tier scenes
>annoying kids who scream a lot and can't act

>3
> pure Cuarón kino

>4-7
>angsty teenagers have angsty teenager problems
>literal garbage 3dark5u story

I think the decline of the film quality is probably related to the change in the writing. 1-3 worked so well because the stories were short, full of mystery and magic, strong characters though basic, uncontrived. Essentially they were perfect stories for a child to read. I think JK Rowling should have planned out 5 books instead of 7, kept it simpler and didn't have us dragging through repetitive teen angst drama for years and years, but then she's a hack piece of shit so whatever

>it's one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises

Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>pure Cuarón kino
le funny whomping willow

beat me to it

Because competence and fidelity are not as exciting as inspiration. David Yates was the guy they chose instead of having a director. Imagine what Guillermo del Toro would have done with one of those movies.

every book has a central mystery except 7 and a ton of magic. And you really think a series featuring young adults would avoid any teenage drama? Do you understand how people act in real life?

That was the most kino scene, user. Maybe you were too dull to understand the subtext.

Why does this tasteless pleb have such taste?
letterboxd.com/azkaban/

To be fair to that user, art reflects life. Harry Potter is genre shit, and genre shit is just meant to keep us chugging along happily. I don't give a tin shit about cardboard cut-outs' feelings.

They're fantasy books you mong

I don't understand how you can look at 5-8 and say they're bereft of inspiration. And yea GDT would have been cool probably, but we'll never know will we? What's the point?

The subtext is he's a hack director

Is there any more fedora opinion than shitting on the harry potter movies? They're not trying to be kino, they're just an enjoyable watch

no they're not

...your point?

>cardboard cut-out
I don't understand how you can draw that conclusion from characters developed over seven novels/eight films.

Did the other kids not invite you to the cinema when they saw them or something?

pretending they're enjoyable

point is you're a mong

Your way of saying the value of these films is mostly nostalgic? That makes a lot of sense actually.

A tumblr gif, appropriate.

"No!"

Luna was an angel

They're not bereft of all inspiration, but none of the inspiration that's there is directorial. They wanted a traffic cop and they got it.

The problem is, they aren't enjoyable. You watch the Yates films again only when you watch the whole lot and you've got to have the last films for completism's sake, none of them stands as a thing on its own to be watched for pleasure.

Because I read literature.

I like how JK Rowling is such a hack that she didn't plan Luna in advance so she appears out of nowhere in four

lol clearly, I could tell straight away from your thoughtful responses

disagree. There's a consistency to Yates' films and I credit him with that. Though iirc they used many of the same crew for all 8 films so I imagine they'd have their shit down by then.

>> pure Cuarón kino
>dropped them wearing robes

Cuarón is AAAAIDS

Colorpalette isn't a big problem. After the shortened as fuck Order of Phoenix the story of the Francis the fish was the last nail in the coffin.

Yeah, Quidditch and dropped line with Ludo was a miss.

What was the line with Ludo?

What a shit intro.

The whole series is like that. I refuse to believe that she had 7 books planned from the start since books 1-6 are basically the same story told over and over with more filler thrown in with each installment. There's no reason why it couldn't have been 5 books instead of 7

It's not even like British schools are from age 11-17
What was she thinking

That doesn't excuse how formulaic they all are, besides, who says we need one book per year?

1-3 were clearly written on the fly, 4-5 looked like they had a bit more coherence to them, but 6-7 were full of random plot mutations, and the deathly hallows are textbook Deus Ex Machinas.

Subplot where the judge of Triwizard Tournament indebted money to Weasley twins, but Harry gave them money he won as champion, so they could open their store.

4 was the only one that captured the eccentric nature of the books, 3 is intolerably non-British.

Terrible fucking intro, who are you quoting?

>intolerably non-British

You've never had your Aunt over for dinner

I want to inhale her anal scent

>everyone says The Prisoner of Azkaban and The Empire Strikes Back are the best movies of their respective franchises
>I find both the most boring