Why was the nostalgia factor so tasteful compared to TFA?

Why was the nostalgia factor so tasteful compared to TFA?

RO literally had all the Star War-isms needed to give it an OT feel without being gratuitous. I think the only scene that went into TFA territory was C3PO and R2, giving them an awkward close-up out of nowhere. I think they should have still been in it, but only in the background as ab easter egg. Maybe have 3po still say his line but it's all muffled.

But RO had it all, all the old ships, all the old designs, everything from the OT, and it still felt fresh. TFA was cheap imitation in every corner.

Because of Jew Jew. He can't direct for shit.

I liked it as well op. I don't know why they bother with the R2D2 C3PO cameo, I mean does anyone still get excited to see that? After 5 more movies they've been shoehorned into as fan service? But it was tolerable, it didn't screw up the movie like "R2 D2 has been sooooo depressed he won't wake up until the plot needs him to"

I thought they were both gratuitous and pathetic in different, but similar ways in this regard

It had fan service done right.

seeing donnie yen out of no where kinda took me out of it though

this movie is boring as fuck

These two showing up felt like lazy fanservice

Forgot damn image

It was an ok movie. Certainly better then TFA but not great.

why didn't he just force pull that datawhatever?

He probably didn't know the guy had it. He figured the dude was just shitting his pants asking for help.

>that moment at the end where he stabs him and sees the dude with it trip
Yeah you have a good point.

>AT AT's for no reason on a planet that doesn't make sense.
>Sudden C3PO and R2D2 for no reason.
>Terrible CGI cameos.

Rogue One wasn't as saturated with pandering as TFA, but when it appeared, it was extremely, extremely bad.

Was arguing with some gen x retard and he literally pulled muh nostalgia as defense of tfa

How'd they get off that planet in time?

i got round to watching this and after fucking hating tfa more than any other movie ever, this was a breath of fresh air. it wasnt as much of a cashgrab, more thought went into it, the space travel actually had depth and pace and wasnt over in a split second cutscene like in TFA. there wasnt shitty inserts of cheap nostalgia, it maintained some characteristics of old star wars without being cliche and over the top.
The MAIN thing is that there were more world designs and concepts, like the prequels, which i enjoyed. TFA had about 2 fucking settings

however it was a very safe movie which means i cant really dislike it nor like it. the characters were utterly forgetful, that main girl was bland enough to not evoke any emotion from me, so yet again i cant dislike her, only because her and every other character on this was just like a 'template' where they forgot to actually give them character

what i noticed is that the makeup, hairstyles and the overall "colour" of the movie is very 80s. If you took certain scenes and told me they were made in 1985 I would have believed you

its very nicely done

Some of the interior shots of the rebel pilots during the space battle is footage that was cut from the original trilogy, and somewhat touched up with CGI.

It's pretty noticable when you know about it, espically that all the pilots look old as fuck, they all look 40+, which seems to be a thing in the older movies.

kys, millenialscum

It's really a tradition to have R2 and C3PO to show up in every single Star Wars film.
C3PO and R2's cameo was only for like 3 seconds and it made sense as it explained why they were on the ship in ANH and considering their owner was there.
But C3PO's cameo in TFA was just straight in your face.
>pops up unexpectedly and ruins a heartwarming scene between Leia and Han
>LOOK, LOOK AT MY NEW RED ARM!
Jesus, they weren't being subtle about it. R2 was fine, though.

Why does the guy on the left look NOTHING like the guy from ANH?

>RO literally had all the Star War-isms needed to give it an OT feel without being gratuitous. I think the only scene that went into TFA territory was C3PO and R2, giving them an awkward close-up out of nowhere.
Completely wrong. Those two being in it makes sense, as it takes place directly before they go on their adventure caused by RO's events.

The real gratuitous appearance was the two bar guys in Jedha.

>starwars movie
>no jedi in it

into the bin it goes

>Why was the nostalgia factor so tasteful compared to TFA?

Because it wasn't a nostalgia factor. The film was set at the same time as the OT. So naturally things from the OT would also be seen in RO.

Probably bait but that was the best part, pleb.

>Why was the nostalgia factor so tasteful compared to TFA?
You fucking serious? It was so much worse in Rogue One. Man, that totally needless cutaway shot to the droid guy using the same rotating-cog hacking mechanism that R2D2 used to shut off the trash compactor really fucking pissed me off. Felt totally amateurish and out of place, but they did it anyway to scream HEYYYYYY LOOK AT THIS THING FROM THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY!!!!!! ARE YOU CUMMING IN YOUR PANTS YET YOU PATHETIC FUCKING NERD?

May want to check out Darth Vader's resume.

I felt that R1 was superior to TFA myself, but TFA didn't rip sound and video clips straight out of ANH.

Even if that was the case then what is wrong with it? Isn't it just making a film for people who WANT to see said film?

You got it backwards OP

TFA used star wars conventions to tell a story about the legacy of the star wars franchise itself, all the fanservice in RO was useless pandering that wasn't in service to the plot or themes of the narrative at all

overly gratuitous. it was shit.

>Even if that was the case then what is wrong with it?
Well the film was shit, so that's a start.

R1 only used unused sounds and clips that has never been seen before.
TFA copied the exact same quotes and scenes from the OT.

I think I know why, OP. It's because TFA had a number in the title, meaning it's part of the "main" trilogy. That means anyone should expect the quality to be higher. This is more like a spin off so the expectations are lower.

R2-D2 must be in all the movies. No exceptions.

C3PO too, right?