So I'm gonna rewatch all the Alien films, which I haven't seen in a long time...

So I'm gonna rewatch all the Alien films, which I haven't seen in a long time. Every one of them has a version other than the theatrical one, but which is better?

Other urls found in this thread:

schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=1384
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Alien's theatrical cut is the 'proper' one. The alternate cut is mostly a curiosity for the concepts featured in it.
Aliens' director's cut is Cameron's preferred one, choose whichever.
Alien3's alternate cut is more plot coherent but doesn't improve the pacing and alters the sync on some musical cues.
Alien:Resurrection's alternate cut is totally pointless.

Are you including Prometheus in this? I dunno if it has alternate cuts but if it does they most likely just add exposition.

I don't think Prometheus has a different version, apart from some deleted scenes. And I also heard that on the blu ray for Alien 3, the music was improved

Alien DC has 1 important cut scene
Aliens DC has several important cut scenes restored
Alien: Assembly Cut is an improvement over the theatrical cut

*Alien 3: Assembly Cut

Apparently Scott was forced by the studio to make a Director's Cut for Alien, so they could earn more money by selling it

It was made for the 4 movie box set.

Which important scene in Alien is that?

Ripley finding Dallas and learning where the eggs come from. I dunno why I spoilered that but there you go.

Alien DC is terrible, it totally ruins the feel of being cooped up in a spaceship with an Alien hunting you.

>that moment where they used the footage of the Xeno walking by but it looks like he's on a skateboard and just moving his arms.

So Alien TC, Aliens DC, Alien 3 unsure and Alien: Resurrection TC I suppose?

You really have to watch the Assembly Cut. Alien3 was a total mess during production, because the studio was way beyond ready to have it done by the time Fincher got the gig, and they overruled him every step of the way, because they figured he was some cheeky hack loser, and the theatrical was their attempt to take what he did and shove it into a tidy little package. Years later, they figured that Fincher might have actually had some good ideas and tried to make something closer to what he was trying to accomplish.

Basically, the Theatrical Cut is a quick and messy Alien movie, while the Assembly Cut still isn't great, but it at least feels like it's trying to do something.

aight, Assembly Cut it is then

I wouldn't even bother with Resurrection. There's no cut that makes that film watchable.

Stick to the theatrical releases of Alien and Aliens. Watch the assembly cut of A3.

I always wondered: Is there an english version of schnittberichte?
schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=1384

It's got some redeeming qualities.

My girlfriend and I just watched them this year

Power ranking is: 2>1>>>>

you forgot the best one

>girlfriend

We watched that too...

there was a reason I left it off my list

She's a qt3.14 too. Had to wait until I was 23 years old before I even had my first real kiss tho

worth it

I recently finished doing this, user.
Bought the anthology blu ray.
Alien looks incredible.
Alien theatrical
Aliens special edition
Alien 3 workprint
Alien resurrection dont matta. Nun dis mattas.

>tfw Resurrection was the one that always aired on tv here

Never once saw Alien on tv, saw Aliens maybe once, buy by lord did Alien Resurrection air. I've seen it more times than I've ever wanted.

I think that's partly why I have no problem with the good cut of Alien 3. It's so fucking good compared to Resurrection.

Except for the grenade toss that sends it circling its way into the escape-pod. That was fucking nice.

that's the first one I saw as well, on tv in Norway

>buy by lord did Alien Resurrection air. I've seen it more times than I've ever wanted.
It was probably cheap to syndicate.

Oh that's most definitely why.

Same reason we always got Jaws 2 and 3D but never once Jaws. They'd even advertise a Jaws marathon and then start with the second movie. I can only assume that the cost of Jaws is through the roof.

Thank god that rentals were a thing at least.