Arrival

Realistically, do you think we'd be able to work together if something similar happened in real life?

I thought it was so funny how they portrayed Chinese as these reactionist who will use nukes the moment something uncomfortable occurs

Between snackbars, dindus, polfags and (((them))) we're fucked.

Obama, sure, best case scenario, he's essentially Spock.

Trump, we're fucked.

Only if the aliens were hot.

the human race will never "work together"

How is Obama similar to Spock, aside from the short hair and pointy ears?

what? learn to speak squidbillies time-travel language to prevent the military from attacking a spaceship before it would just disappear into thin air anyway?

no, probably not.

Logical and extremely well tempered. Say what you will about whatever else, but those things are true, he's a remarkably bright, measured guy.

The hacker Sup Forums would hack them with a virus on a windows 3.0 system and they would all explode.

But what about the problem with those mobile suits?

This fucking movie must be the only movie about first contact with aliens where nothing interesting happens

never understood why the fuck could you see in the future if you can read idiotic 2d circles?

So logical he destabilized peaceful countries in an unstable region into complete civil wars.

Depends on the countries they land in desu.

If they dropped these things in like US, UK, Canada, France, Australia, New Zealand and shit we'd all be super heptapod speaking immortals in a week.

There's no way the Americans would be the good guys in a real first contact. They're one of the most jingoist countries in the world and would probably shoot nukes at the aliens ASAP.

Plebs who didn't get it.

The thing is they dropped them in 12 specific places with the intention of forcing the entire world to work together. Pretty sure it's an all or nothing deal.

>the psued who thinks arrival is actually a good movie

>the guy who tries to act smart but can't even spell pseud

>Being able to translate a language with no human equivalent or concept.
We don't even know what dogs say when they bark or birds say when they sing. How the fuck would you be able to reverse engineer alium cheerio time-speak?

We sure as hell wouldn't attack an alien species with highly advanced technology showing no aggression whatsoever because they said "weapon"

>We sure as hell wouldn't attack
according to CNN the shadow that was cast could classify as a weapon of mass destruction

aylmao magix

Yeah I think we would be fine in the end.
There is be a lot of civil unrest but I believe in the good of humanity.

I think the thing about the soldiers c4ing Abbot & Costello was a bit unrealistic. I feel like security would be way higher than what they had.

By giving us the gift of the non linear language they literally made us get our shit together.

If you would know your whole life from start to finish you would find beauty and joy from the smallest bits of moments in a day which you may take now for granted.
There is no fear of "omg world war three is coming" because all of humanity knows and experiences their whole life at once from start to finish.

>inb4 but what if someone tries to change the future
It's a deterministic universe and once you grasp the language you experience the past, present and the future at the same time, that's why it's non linear, there is no "time".

And because it's nonlinear, all their decisions are interconnected and happen at the same "time"(just like that chinese general phone call) so it's not like they view a youtube video of their past/future and then continue on with their life.

Because they have a written language. If you can figure out their words for certain things you can find common threads in their alphabet.

Dogs and birds don't have a written language, that we know of.

but if time is non-linear, what do they do? does the humanity turn catathonic?

What?

Understanding the language changes your perception and understanding of time. They explain this quite clearly. If you're asking for the hard science behind it, don't. It's a fucking sci-fi movie. Might as well complain that their antigrav/interstellar trvael tech isn't meticulously explained either.

Because they are highly intelligent beings with an actualy written and spoken language who are cooperating in the effort to translate. A bit different than a fucking dog, bird, or other lower life form.

no of course fucking not haven't you ever read the bible?

nah they'd just throw 50 tomahawks at it

What kind of idiot just fires a bunch of missiles at a problem?

Not having a written language doesn't make you a lower lifeform. Dolphins are a lot smarter than us, for example.

an american

wouldnt be such a bad solution if you actually hit your target

No because USA will fucking nuke them. Sheriff of the Galaxy

>an idiot
Yeah, that's what I just said.

I really liked the part where she told that kangaroo story and then afterwards was like "By the way it's not true, but it proved my point." Sometimes making shit up is effective if it is logical.

>Dolphins are a lot smarter than us

Haha no, They are very intelligent creatures compared to most other mammals, but they are not smarter than human beings. Dogs are relatively smart too, they are still lower life forms. This is all irrelevant to the question I answered though.

Then explain how they knew to get out of Earth before it got blown up?

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Is this a Jojo reference?

Seriously? *sigh*

I actually have always thought that it would take alien life, maybe even specifically alien life threatening the human species for the world to put aside its differences of race, religion, culture and borders to finally work together for the greater good.
Social cohesion, uniting on the basis of what we have in common, an enemy.

how does it allow understanding exactly? its just shapes, if it was some sort of complex mathematical equation it would be much better

I feel the same thing would happen if we started to evolve into telepathy, we would eventually be a hive mind civilization.
Slowly low intellect, aggression etc would be a thing of the past.
At first their would be unrest.

language is mathematical, in certain ways, and maths is a universal language.

so why bother with another language? they could just show us in our language, they are timeless they should know our numbers

I think all large objects like this would be nuked before they could even get close to our atmosphere. Then the largest international powers would scramble to get control over the crash sites/landing sites as soon as possible.

Language is far more similar to math than many might guess.

You can derive most math from a Indo-European language as you can derive most languages from a simple math equation.

Science will unite all.