Original or redux for first time viewing?

original or redux for first time viewing?

Original for the first time. Redux for rewatches.

I try to find merit in films even when I'm bored out of my fucking mind but Redux is legitimately one of those unbearably, irredeemably boring films.

This

Just watch Full Metal Jacket instead

This is 100% true. The original is much, much better paced. Redux goes on for fucking ever and lingers on the most inane, uninteresting shit.

the original is literally impossible to find online. I keep finding 3 hour 16 minute versions of it.

hi plebbit

Hang yourself.

Is there any point in watching the second half? I've already seen most of the bootcamp scenes with Hartman and it seems like that's the main appeal of the film.

Second half is pure kino, you can't get the point of the film without watching the second half. It's not fun, but it's pretty poignant.

Kys, when people on this board think that Apocalypse Now is boring, is just another indication of how fucking stupid we've become

The french part could have been shorter but everything else was great in the redux.

The redux is objectively worse than the original, you fucking retard.

second half > first half

Redux is boring, Apocalypse Now is great. I can't remember a single decent scene from Redux, it was all pointless filler that was rightfully cut.

fuck off, the plantation part is the most important

I agree that it was important. That's why I said to shorten it rather than scrap it altogether. I liked what it added to the film. Sorry if my post somehow angered you.

>this whole post
Kill yourself

Sorry, in this kinda of threads there's always a bunch of kids shiting on this scene

It's okay. I understand your passion for kino.

Yep pretty much

Theater version
>IT AIN'T ME
>wow man Vietnam was pretty crazy
>Haha yeah dude flight of the valkyries!
Redux
>Jesus Christ what is war
>humans are nothing more than animals
>Colonel Kurtz did nothing wrong
I also highly recommend the book, it's a pretty short read and definitely worth it

soooo redux > theater?

Plantation is objectively the most bizarre misplaced scene in the movie, it clearly does not belong with the rest of the film

Now the abandoned aid station, THERE'S a missing scene that's pure kino

>tfw you've only seen redux

i enjoyed it but agree it was a bit overlong and needed trimming

It just depends on what kind of movie you want to watch, the original is a decent Vietnam movie with some deeper elements, but redux is an open window to the human soul, you can feel yourself start to go a little insane towards the end

Good description right here.

I see. Does Brando have more dialogue in Redux or something?

I don't really remember if he has more lines but the tone that redux sets up gives them a whole new meaning

The original just makes it seem like
>DUDE I'M THE ANTAGONIST LMAO
but redux makes you understand exactly what he means and why

>original or redux for first time viewing?

There is no reason to watch the theatrical cut when an extended cut exists, especially when the extended cut has almost an hour of additional material.

Redux is the only answer.

Redux for you. Theatrical for the family.

i love every single minute of the redux except for the plantation scene. apocalypse is a film that can be interpreted in multiple different ways, and that scene pretty much makes all but one invalid.

I don't Redux improves it personally.

The plantation scene seems to be a holdover from Conrad, its the Tom Bombadil's house of Apocalypse Now.

The crashed helicopter scene is ugly, which wouldn't be a sin in itself but its also completely improbable.

The 5-hour workprint

the colour is so amazing in redux, the mangos scene in particular is a masterpiece