What makes an 'art film' worthwhile...

What makes an 'art film' worthwhile? What does it have to contain in order for you to feel you have gained something from watching it?

Name a 1-3 of your favorite titles and give a brief explanation on why you liked each one.

art is fart

Come on. Answer me.

hi

hey what's up

im gay

This is probably too big of a question to be answered fully.

Generally I like movies that are centered around ideas and themes. Usually this means the film has a strong character who undergoes some sort of change or makes some sort of complex choice, and this development serves as an answer to some sort of question that the film has raised. A film will feel worthwhile if it answers its question in an honest way.

I think if you take almost any classic art film and look at it this way, you'll find that it follows that kind of structure. But this doesn't even touch on the whole aesthetic side of things which might be just as important. There are a lot of acclaimed films which are more concerned with aesthetics than answering any sort of question or dealing with any ideas, so maybe I'm being too reductive.

fuck you, what do you think makes art worthwhile?

spilled milk

Art is always best when it can potentially improve your life. Does the way a character act inspire you to be bold, does the question raised by the plot ring true in your own life, or in the life of someone you hadn't even considered and are now considering? Can this art make you behave differently down the road, or even now?

Art is most powerful when it is being used as an engine to move society.

I'll bite
Art films work by the same rules as Hollywood popcorn stuff, I usually just give them more time to impress me, because a lot of them start out slow. La dolce vita is one of my favorites because of how I can relate to Marcello, he feels like he doesn't belong and that all good in the world is fleeting.
The story of Adele h by truffaut is great because, despite the fact that I have nothing in common with Adele hugo, I could relate to her story because I was in love once, and I understand why she goes to the lengths th a she does.
The tree of life is great because it takes emotional,relatable experiences and compared them to a grand scale, the creation and end of the universe. One of the few great films that could be summedup with a quote, from the bible and the opening of the movie: where were you when I laid the foundation for the heavens and the earth?
Those are just a couple of art films, I picked the ones I th the most emotional impact for me.

STALKER was great because of the banter between the characters
also it had pretty visuals and a nice soundtrack

>I could relate to her story because I was in love once, and I understand why she goes to the lengths th a she does.
She also had legit mental illness, maybe you related to that as well?

>gained something
Art is not obliged to 'give' you shit, faggot.

Qtpi

You sound like a fag, does you even has any clue what the arts is if not to give you something enlightening?

When it really makes me think and/or has a lasting impression on me, it is worthwhile.
So, entirely subjective

Why didn't Pinson marry her? I mean I too would be disturbed by someone sailing across the Atlantic to stalk me but she was such a cutie.

Chill out. We're talking about personal subjective experiences here.

It's subjective. And he was a chad soldier, he didn't need some weird girl hanging around.

she just wanted her husbando ;_;

>refused marriage when proposed
>regrets it and tries to go back
>goes insane

Does this story work as an allegory for spinsters?

no, feminists

Same thing

Art films are worthwhile because good movies distract and entertain, but art has us look not just at its surface beauty but inside ourselves too, enriching our souls.

Koyaanisqatsi (1982, Reggio)

A film with no actors, no dialogue, no plot at all, but nonetheless a work of art with a central idea which every sound and visual expresses. It is pure cinema, combining cinematography and editing to create an emotional response in the viewer. It captures an entire world, an entire time, and warns us of the growing decay in our society.

The Tree of Life (2011, Malick)

It's a film that is clearly personal to its director because of its setting and plot points (a Christian boy growing up in 1950s Texas) but it's really about this: the split path between nature and grace. Malick frames this story on different scales, creating a work of art that is epic and intimate all at once. The story of one boy is also the story of all mankind. A predatory dinosaur once spared the life of a weakened prey, and today a boy chooses whether to display strength or mercy.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition (2016, Snyder)

A masterful, post-modern deconstruction of the dominant form of entertainment in today's society: the superhero blockbuster. As manchildren in our world argue over what Superman is "supposed" to be, the Superman of BvS must struggle with the images that people in his world project onto him. Superman literally dies at the end, but the myth, the idea of Superman, is killed much earlier in the film by a media that panders to people's fear. If there are gods of the sun and the sea, Batman and Superman might be the gods of right/left wing politics, with Bruce being a hardened punisher protecting what good is left, and Clark an idealistic, living-safety-net trying to nurture a better future. BvS is not a movie about good vs bad, it is about being alive in the 21st century, reading the headlines, and desperately trying to make sense of it all.

That is almost as good as it tries to be.

>deconstruction

you don't know what that means now do you?

Pretty good analysis user. Although Superman and Batman aren't simplistic left/right wing politics, but much more complex characterizations of society, where Superman represents an idealism of goodness in man and Batman is a man convinced of man's corruption, whose beliefs are reinforced by the media around him.

I WOULD PREFER TO CALL YOU MRS. S.C.U.M.

I like the experiences that art films can offer but that's it for me, I'm not that deep into film analysis, I was almost there when I was studying and reading to get into film school but I failed and right now I'm not reading anything but I should get back to it

you didn't show me your penis though

Definitely. I said might be because it's not a clean analogy, and like you pointed out on a broader scale, Superman is just idealistic/naive and Batman is realistic/cynical. That goes beyond politics.

great taste, my man