DUDE THE BAD GUY GETS AWAY EVERYTIME LMAO

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wLf4C1UIpws
watchseries.cr/series/miami-vice/season/2/episode/1
youtube.com/watch?v=6_NeqMAAsBk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

is the show good?

the movie is my fave Mann movie, been thinking about watching the show

The movie is dark and has a nu-metal soundtrack.

The series has a chill preppy beach bum vibe with cheesy ass 80s pop music and a party atmosphere. It also has some really weird and stupid episodes like one with George Takei as a yakuza sushi afficianado and something involving James Brown and being abducted by aliens. Not even kidding. But watch it for Castillo, that dude is the ultimate badass character.

I have heard the two are very, very different but I am a big fan of Mann so I was thinking of watching the show.

Sounds like it's worth watching though, yeah?

Don't forget Ben Stiller as Fast Freddie

First two seasons are fucking amazing and are a must watch. Season 3 it starts to weaken but still has some gems. Going through season 4 now and what I've seen so far is what made me make the thread(though I'm still liking what I'm watching).

Niiice. Thanks for the hype man. I don't watch that much tv so I usually need a push to start a series. The Mann involvement is obviously a big incentive though.

Have you seen his other show, Crime Story?

The show is goofy and for all its machismo looks kind of stereotypically "gay". But it's also a great series of adventure stories with eccentric plots. Would recommend.

What? Like half the episodes end with Crockett being forced to shoot the bad guy, then end on a freeze-frame of Crockett feeling bad about it.

Miami Vice has a lot of lighter and softer Mann. The story only gets really grim and gritty when Dick Wolf of Law and Order takes over the show, also marked by Crockett's hair getting weirder and making him look like more of an asshole.

First two seasons are great. After that, Michael Mann moved on and they gave it to the guy who later made Law & Order and it loses all its charm.

I CAN FEEL IT
COMING IN THE AIR TONIGHT

Or those slow motion death scenes where they take down a tragic villain, don't forget those

Or Castillo's time in Asia having transformed him into the closest thing human to Master Splinter

Does it have that Mann style though? Does it have moments of music coming in on the soundtrack and transforming the scene into something beautiful?

youtube "Miami Vice In the Air Tonight", "Miami Vice Girl With Guns", "Miami Vice Fly on the Windscreen...."

the OST by Jan Hammer also has magical character themes. Makes secondary characters like Candy, Stone, and Evan more than just story of the week plot elements.

>DUDE THE BAD GUY GETS AWAY EVERYTIME LMAO
But they do(if they bribe hard enough)

>I need to know some Caroline. When we used to be together, I don't mean lately but before, it was real wasn't it?

I'm talking season 4, which so far I've seen;
Contempt Of Court
>Bad guy gets a mistrial, doesn't get shot by the kid, gets away
Amen… Send Money
>rich preacher was behind it all along to get donations, gets away
Death And The Lady
>director is guilty as fuck, but there's no evidence so Crockett slaps him a couple times, gets away
There was also several episodes in season 3 where I started noticing it.

when did network tv stop being good?

Who cares, Izzy is fucking funny. "You're defecating the first amendment!"

When LOST started airing

>Liam Neeson (fucking young as hell too) season 3 episode one
>Bruce Willis (season 1 episode 7 i think)
>Ron Perlman is in an episode aswell
>Phil Collins is the main character for an entire episode where he is a con-man
Does it have moments of music coming in on the soundtrack and transforming the scene into something beautiful?
Holy shit yes.
ALOT
some episodes just go from soundtrack to straight up music video
one of my favorate episodes (season 1 episode 7 i think) opens with a remix of the main Jan Hammer sound but playing "I dont care anymore" by Phil Collins, and that soundtrack plays thoughout the episode before the last scene of the episode where it plays the proper song as shits going down
I tried to find you a clip of when Sonny is walking the streets and for 4 minutes while playing "you belong in the city" but its impossible to find, but i am still trying to find it

Phil Collins is a con man in real life which is how he tricked so many stupid tone deaf people into buying his albums

>that episode that starts with them busting some guys for buying artificial sweetener from Izzy

Im in charge here

>I take my music taste from South Park: the post

South Park was free advertising for The Cure so Parker and Stone have taste for actual music, not Patrick Bateman's yuppie conformist music shelf

Thanks for the recs bro! I don't actually want to see clips because I like getting hit by those moments when they occur but I appreciate you guys searching them! Just started a download of a blu ray of Season 1 so I will be hitting that shit very soon. Thanks for the push! Very excited!

>But watch it for Castillo, that dude is the ultimate badass character.
>that episode where hes protecting that kid and mother
>he pulls out the katana

>mogwai is nu-metal

I saved this pic like a month ago figuring I'd find some use for it.

Not that guy but you'd be silly if you were to suggest that nu-metal is not the main soundtrack of that movie. Audioslave is all over that movie.

The Mogwai parts are amazing too but they're not as prominent as Mann's deep love for fucking Audioslave.

DUDE PHIL COLLINS IS A CRIMINAL LMAO
DUDE CASTILLO IS A WEEB LMAO
DUDE GEORGE TAKEI AND EXPLODING KOI FISH
DUDE BEAM ME UP JAMES BROWN

Just watch it. Once you get past some of the bad clothes and hairstyles its a fantastic cop drama.

Don't expect anything cutting edge or too many mindfuck surprises in the plots but every single shot is beautiful and Mann painstakingly made it that way according to other people who worked on the show.

There are the zany episodes where shit gets odd with Willie Nelson and Phil Collins but I personally even like the last season which many say is where the quality tanks. Visually I enjoy the time period, its a nice looking show that really shaped modern cop shows. Its shiny and well produced and the soundtrack always fits well with the action.
youtube.com/watch?v=wLf4C1UIpws

My favorite episode is Definitley Miami which I think is season 2.

Around the turn of the millenium.

It's turbo comfy and more 80s than the 80s.

it's never been "good" you just only remember the good shows

YES
Also what are some essential Castillo
kino

>the scene where sonny has to talk to that dudes wife

Definitely Miami is p. much the episode that tells you not to expect anything too deep from the show.

"Look the main character referenced Waiting for Godo- oh wait you don't care because you voted for Reagan just for the novelty of having an actor as president, let's cut the bullshit and get to the action"

The scene with the phone sex hotline was gr8

Other than Bushido and Golden Triangle, they didn't use Castillo enough. Walk-Alone has some good shit at the end with him, but other than that I can't really think of anything.

They don't every time, but I like that they do sometimes. Makes it more realistic

I'll literally watch anything with Jimmy Smits in it.

He would have been a weaker character if they gave him more story arcs. He had just enough to be mysterious, and most of the other Jason Bourne style drama relegated to G. Gordon Liddy as himself by another name in the most perfect TV casting choice in history

tell me about crockett why does he wear the pastel colours?

Because that was what you got if you opened up a Vogue or Vanity Fair spread in 1983-4

yung paulie walnuts appears

The show is great for the first 2-3 seasons. Definitely worth a watch.

Can I get a quick rundown on the guy with the revolver?

Why doesn't UF make a running joke about Crockett having played for their football team? Like a gag fictional "alumni" with credits at the university?

Recomend me some good movies.
I dont think ive seen anything with him other than Miami Vice and Star Wers

Womanizing bad boy street smart cop from New York who gets the first story arc as a revenge mission to get the bastard that killed his brother

The movie was a pile of shit though

Literally unironically true original 80s kino

>a clip of when Sonny is walking the streets and for 4 minutes while playing "you belong in the city"

That sounds like the greatest thing ever, I have to see this.

>was NY cop with an attatude
>family member killed by bad guy
>he chased bad guy to miami to slaughter the fucker
>went undercover to get close to bad guy
>crossed paths with Sonny (another undercover agent)
>perfect team of wildcards white guy and nignog

>thinking Miami Vice a pile of shit

You just outed yourself buddy.

Does Dick Wolf really mess up the show like some people have said? Just started season 2.

>brother is killed by drug lord
>fucks drug lord's daughter, then kills drug lord
>drug lord's daughter has his son, but is killed by her brother, the drug lord's son
>kills the drug lord's son, but hasn't found his son as far as I've seen in the series

He's mostly in TV like NYPD Blue and L.A. Law, West Wing, Sons of Anarchy. Most of the films he's been in are small or just TV movies and I haven't seen most of them...but if I would cus he's in them is my point.

Dexter season 3, right before the show went to shit

watchseries.cr/series/miami-vice/season/2/episode/1
about 34 minutes in

He doesn't mess it up, he just gives it a different tone. Michael Mann's first two seasons are playful and cheery even in the dark revenge stories and character deaths right up until some of the insanity carries over from the time he was working on that one Hannibal Lecter movie that actually came out before Silence of the Lambs and didn't have Anthony Hopkins.

The movie is Mann's masterpiece and one of the best films of the 21st century thus far. It is an emotionally devastating, visually complex work of art that feels like a late period Malick movie, in the best possible way.

He got rid a lot of what made the show what it was(switch from bright pastels to dark neon, picked more somber dark music) and brought in his "ripped from the headlines" bullshit you see on Law & Order. Doesn't make the show unwatchable, but was one of the reasons the show's ratings dipped and eventually got cancelled.

Personally I like the last season. It feels different, there's not as much Mann in it visually and the soundtrack composer changed from that signature Jan Hammer synth sound to some schmaltzy guitar stuff by Tim Truman.

YES! Thank you.

Honestly I kind of live for this shit.

D E L E T E
T H I S

It's actually hard to tell because crime news in Florida is so wacky. The episode with the Everglades rednecks was closest to what it's actually like in Florida.

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

I really like the pastels. They're very accurate to coastal tourist trap type locales. A little more on point than "dark" movies that act like everyone wears a dark grey hoodie and slim jeans from wal mart

>that one Hannibal Lecter movie
It's called Manhunter, and it's amazing.

This is true.

FUUUUCK YESSSSS

I love shit like this so much.

I was just watching Phil Collins Going Back live in New York and let me tell you. It was amazing. Two of my favorite things. Phil Collins and 60's Motown hits. Phil Collins also has a massive collection of Alamo artifacts. Basically he's a really cool dude and a talented musician.

This was the most aesthetic show ever, wasn't it?

Next to Twin Peaks I guess.

You guys are getting my hyped as fuck. The main reason I don't watch much tv is because the aesthetics generally suck.

Have you seen The Knick though? It's stunning visually.

I was just going to ignore this because I knew it was bait but since everyone's showing their appreciation to Phil Collins i thought i would join in.
Hes Great.

>The main reason I don't watch much tv is because the aesthetics generally suck.

Same. Aesthetics really matter to me. Personally, I'd rather watch an atmospheric tone poem of essentially just some guy walking around to cool music than something with a "social relevant" plot or whatever.

>Have you seen The Knick though? It's stunning visually.

Haven't. I'm intrigued.

youtube.com/watch?v=6_NeqMAAsBk

>Same. Aesthetics really matter to me. Personally, I'd rather watch an atmospheric tone poem of essentially just some guy walking around to cool music than something with a "social relevant" plot or whatever.

Entirely this. I feel a bit conflicted though because I love The Wire deeply even though it is basically as simple as they come aesthetically, though I do think its almost complete lack of style works for its very narrative style. In general though yeah, tv is so much about plot, character, and story arcs which are basically all rather unimportant to me when I watch a film.

Definitely do The Knick man. It's by Soderbergh, I think he's a fairly strong visual director in general, and he definitely brings it with The Knick. Abides by the necessities of tv drama in terms of crafting elaborate characters and narrative but it is really gorgeous on an aesthetic level.

>plot, character, and story arcs which are basically all rather unimportant to me when I watch a film

So you don't care about story and would rather watch something with shiny objects and colors. Congratulations, you just outed yourself as a retard

Yeah, The Wire was an exception for me too. It was just so good for what it was, and all the characters were so compelling to follow.

But it's definitely something like that scene of Sonny walking to an 80s song posted above that really inspires strong feelings in me. Some people talk about 'social realism' in films but actually more aesthetic stuff much more accurately and philosophically reflects the way I see reality, which isn't something you can so cleanly dissect and diagnose like in something like The Wire or Marxist theory, but is strange and beautiful and swelling and bittersweet.

And I will check out your recommendation, thanks man.

>muh aesthetics

Neck yourselves

Story and plot is literally for plebs. The fact that you think photography, aka the literal language of film, can be reduced to "shiny objects and colors" is a pretty clear indication that you almost definitely have garbage taste in film.

This is bait, right?

Mate, get back to your Marvel thread.

Do you also get upset when people talk about how any great work of literature is completely the result of the prose?

plebs are so sad

>i like the smell of my own farts : the post

>I am a pleb: the post

How do I get a body like this?

Drumming

You want aesthetics?
I have wallpapers

neck YOURself.

you have the most boring type of taste, and are probably a rationalist, literalist autist.

Nice

The first two seasons are great, season 3 still has some good episodes but has some really shakey ones, then things start to get dark through season 4 and 5 but sometimes they sneak a fun episode in there.

The show is heavily underrated and it's a shame it's just remembered as "dude pastels and 80s music" when it actually had some pretty intense episodes with writing that could hold up if it was on TV today.