Zack Snyders only good movie is 300. His visual style is overreliant on CGI...

Zack Snyders only good movie is 300. His visual style is overreliant on CGI, a technology that only looks good in motion with a lot of blur.

Good action scenes need both fast action and slower moments to build tension, which Snyder achieves by the use of slow motion. In 300 this works because there aren't very many moving parts, it looks artful with the silhouettes and the shining red capes. Compare this to the slow motion in sucker punch, while it does slow down the action it turns it into a nauseating experience with clutter abound and seemingly nonsensical slow motion sequences.

I believe he should move away from superhero movies and more into action scenes where the terrain is more monotone, like in medieval movies or historic epics.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jSjI7gwuKtg
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh
twitter.com/AnonBabble

owls of rahoul was pretty good

>owls of rahoul

>I believe he should move away from superhero movies
Too bad.

All he's known for is ruining comic book shit.

Not a fan of the Snyder but his Dawn of the Dead remake is amazing. The first 10 minutes are perfect and the rest of the movie is really good. One of the best remakes I've seen.

This scene is a fucking masterpiece and relies on no slow-mo, and little, if any, CGI.

Checkmate, atheists.

Always thought that was directed by Romero, wtf

>this scene
>posts a sequence

Well it's no Sucker Punch that's for sure.

>referencing a sequence doesn't reference the scene by default

The original is by Romero, yes. Which is a great movie. But the remake, surprisingly, doesn't shit on it. It has the same premise but the approach is different. The biggest surprise is that the characters are well-acted and interesting. Again,no surprise since the script was written by James Gunn.

Both are my 2 favourite zombie movies.

he has elevated the genre, he's brought intelligence and complexity that capeshit has never seen before. (see BvS or man of steel) he's made superhero movies that are taken seriously in the most realistic portrayal of superheroes ever.

Snyder has raised the bar for superhero films and i applaud him for continuing despite the hate from people who cannot understand.

Well said, brother.

Dawn of the Dead > 300

Everything else is shit. Snyder doesn't get kudos for copying Watchmen frame for frame outside of the ending and the ludicrous fight sequences.

300 is not good though.

Watchmen is his best movie even though it's basically an abomination that misses the point of the comic.

His movies got progressively worse.

>Great
Dawn of the Dead

>Good

>Average
Watchmen

>CGI dogshit
The rest.

Strangely enough, BvS isn't even his worst movie, that "honor" belongs to the godawful Sucker Punch.

Sucker punch has redeeming qualities though if you catch my drift

Neither one of them is even within throwing distance of what he's doing with the DCEU. I know not everyone's going to "get it" until some character inevitably goes expository mouthpiece, but if you know comics history, what he's doing through metaphor is a beauty to behold.

BvS was a near-miss for me. I appreciate his intentions in a way I never have with a Snyder movie before at least, but I don't think he was successful with it. Man of Steel was tone-deaf garbage, though, and maybe his worst outside of the truly dreadful Sucker Punch. I expect with the studio interference that seems to be coming down on JL it's only downhill from here.

So has Dead or Alive but I would never call it anything but shit.

The script and dialogues alone are irredeemable.

LMFAO they made a DOA movie? Gonna watch it later today

It took BvS to make MoS click for me. Once you're "decode" it, it's amazing.

You'll probably gonna enjoy it because it's filled with "redeeming qualities".

MoS is literally the best cape movie since the dark knight

youtube.com/watch?v=jSjI7gwuKtg

Its time to fucking go Mr Snyder.

You know, its funny
I am watching Jurassic Park right now.
I just got to the scene where they are talking about the Raptors and say they should be safe as long as they don't learn to open doors. In the next scene a raptor opens a door and attacks the kids in the kitchen

Snyderis Alan Grant in this scene.
He is looking at Watchmen and saying
'we should be OK and beat Marvel as long as they don't learn to use funny quips and good writing against us'

In the next scene, post Thor era, the Marveloaptor uses strength against him

But unlike the kids in Jurassic Park Snyder didn't escape the kitchen. Nope. Instead the entire Raptor pack, the entire Marvel studio, came in and gutted him with their claws. Now instead of being saved by Jeff Goldblum he is having his carcass picked away by the most brutal predators of the time, quips.

Fuck you Snyder. You are extinct.

I'll never bw able articulate what it is, but that scene gets me every time.

we have a word for that.

It's called kino

>this entire post
I think you should kill yourself man. I dont think we have a cure for what you got

Dubs of truth.

Superman overcomes impossible odds. saves the planet and does it all on his first day on the job and still people judge every thing he does because he broke a couple buildings.

And we look at BvS which parallels real life perfectly.
Superman always does the right thing and still people judge his actions in the movie and in real life.
please continue to tell me Snyder doesn't know what he's doing.

>when the autism hits

same here, bro, watched it 4 days ago and i cried like a little bitch

>thinking that was good action scene.
Wait till you watch john wick then.
Or better yet headshot.

>Zack Snyders only good movie is 300

Stopped reading right there.

>rping snyder fanboys.
Kek

John Wick is fantastic, no lie. Doesn't subtract from this being *the* best Bat-fight in movie history,

Its only good because the other fight scenes in other batman movies were not that good. So i wouldnt call it good.

I hate Snyder but Watchmen isn't a movie that's completely reliant on CGI but still has a great visual style despite still being a pretty bland movie.

Greatest Superman moment in film. Marvel doesn't have one scene that has this much emotion and awe

That's a fair statement. I just like it because it showcases Bruce as an absolute beast, He's the first depiction that actually comes off as really intimidating.

Fittingly, one of the best Batman moments doesn't even have him in the shot.

To the credit of this scene his movements are with the character and its not an out of nowhere action scene. If that can be the jumping off poinr then when it cones to batman scenes then itll just get better.

I really think snyder needs a creative team. BvS dropped the ball. But also too when you watch a movie from dc/wb its almost in its own universe and almost feels like a remake rather than a mythos.

>almost feels like a remake rather than a mythos.

It's funny you phrase it like that, because I'm starting to believe that what they're doing is using Superman and the myth arc to show their world waking up from a mundane reality sort of like the Nolan setting back into a truly comic-book setting, complete with real gods and such.

Best fight scene in any capeshit
>inb4 daredevil old boy rip off
Get out

Snyder has a lot of good ideas and I like what he does with the DCU. But I won't claim all of it pays off. Nonetheless, Batman v Superman is a movie I'm very happy exists. It's probably the best movie a movie called Batman vs. Superman could be.

Dude, you're not even being subtle.

I unironically think that the "parallelism" between the Zod vs Sup final fight in MoS and the 9/11 Bruce Wayne's introduction in BvS is the most artistic and better executed thing in capeshit ever and it won't be surpassed in a long time.

If you want to bring company wars into this (so the thread gets some activity) I've seen fight scenes in Marvel movies that can't keep continuity and spatial coherence straight for 2 minutes and Zack kept continuity and coherence between two ultra big scenes in two different movies

to be fair, sucker punch got completely fucked over by the studio, like Suicide Squad fucked over

>Great
300, Dawn of the Dead

>Good
Man of Steel, Watchmen

>I don't even know, 3/10 movie with 8/10 parts or vice-versa
BvS

>Sucker Punch tier
Sucker Punch

>good movie
>300
fuck off to reddit pleb

>Its only good because the other fight scenes in other batman movies were not that good. So i wouldnt call it good.

This is what hanging out on plebbit does to you, trawling for upvotes, day-in, day-out...

No. For what you describe, watch Logan. That's a realistic portrayal.

Snyders hero-flicks are just one trailer-sequence after another. A completely disjointed and substance-less, self-masturbatory exercise in two-dimensional action sequences spanning hours. The most perfect example of this "style" is 300.

Ironically, he can actually make good movies if he has a very tight screenplay, where he doesn't have the creative freedom to fuck up the flow. See Dawn of the Dead 2004 for example.

>t. pic-related

What do Lex, Clark, and Bruce all do in their first real scenes?

Lie

Follow that thread through that "disjointed, substance-less . . . exercise in . . . action sequences."

Fucking pleb.

BvS is a gigantic fuck you to mainstream media. I wonder why Alex Jones hasn't fellated it. He loved MoS.

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

man i liked logan, but dumb fucks like you make it real hard to think positively on it

Logan wasn't anything special, it had nothing remotely game changing. It has already been forgotten

Snyder should deconstruct himself. His current direction does not work. He's trying to be deep and shlocky at the same time, which isn't wrong in itself, but he's not succeeding for now.

>triggered DCucks

everyone has forgotten BvS except for the rabid fans who keep trying to prove to everyone that the DC movies aren't complete shit

He should try to do a drama or something. No action, no green screen.

its sad as to how delusional you are

Skipping scripts, I don't think he is completely horrendous as a director. I do think he relies heavily on trying to make every scene a 'moment.' The problem is when you make every scene a moment, then we can't get a scene that resonates.
I hate man of Steel but man, I loved that he did things like put the sun behind superman while he was descending from above.
Of course I don't think a superman movie should ever include slo-mo. In fact I don't think action movies these days ought to have them at all, I'll take it over shaky cam bullshit, but just show me the shit in real time.

Sorry to burst your bubble friend, be a fan of better movies and you won't have this problem

>Zack Snyders only good movie is 300
haha you fucking kidding, 300 is so shit, not the kind of shit which is ironically shit, shit thats trying too hard to be shit and ends up being proper shit

State your own opinion, not just bullshit you saw on Youtube

300 is still better than the entire MCU. Watchmen too

His punches are so straight and jabby it makes me think Affleck is a bit of a gimp.

Batman is roundhouses and MMA, not little pokey poke punches.

I agree

Now tell about his excesive use in CGI in Dawn of the Dead aka one of the best action/horror kinos ever

>overreliant on CGI

CGI looks cool, why not use it?

>It's not my opinion because myself and someone else came to the same conclusion.
>it's also not an opinion if you happen to agree with someone else

If you're stylizing sure. I non-apparent places too, definitely. Smith and Neo punching each other in slo-mo though is garbage.

It's a nonsense criticism. It ignores a lot of normal scenes as well as the build up to those moments.

It also doesn't take into account that some things just are moments. When the Army is confronted with an invincible flying alien for the first time who is SURRENDERING to them, that's a moment in their lives.

It's stylish as hell, beautifully done, and carries the awe that those men would feel.

So I dislike that YouTube video and the parroting of that argument. It tries to put film making in a box and ignores a lot of predecessors to Snyder

Snyder is an indie director that gets handed big budgets and beloved pop culture icons. We don't know how good we have it right now

>Snyder is an indie director that gets handed big budgets and beloved pop culture icons. We don't know how good we have it right now

Shut the fuck up. Snyder uses blatant Christ metaphors in his Superman movies because he has nothing to work with character-wise.

Twenty years from now, Man of Steel will still be seen as shit. Batman v Superman will still be seen as worse than shit. David S. Goyer is a shitty writer, and Zack Snyder is a hack who lacks any subtlety.

Batman v Superman's plot makes zero sense. Not only that, but the main characters are boring and unlikable. Zack Snyder made a bad movie; he didn't challenge pre-conceived notions. It's funny how BvS apologists will claim that the movie is too deep for the average person to get, but when anybody uses basic critical thinking, the plot crumbles.

Its funny hitting a nerve like this. You're getting all pissed off discussing capeshit. I mean I like the movies. Enjoyed them. That's why I talk about them

But you're angry because I disagree with you.

Christ metaphor is surface level stuff. What about the birth metaphor in Man of Steel? You catch that one?

Basic critical thinking is kind of what you need to get the plot

Lol, you say that one Christ metaphor is superficial, and then you bring up another superficial Christ metaphor.

Superficial metaphor > no metaphor no meaning consumer filth from marvel.

Capeshit is trash, TDK is a 6.5/10

please don't insult the god of the 14 year olds

Who said anything about Christ? I am talking about birth. Regular birth. Not virgin birth.

saved

you know this implication, right?

it's heightened when the cops become aware of... activity upstairs....

and that scene plays on the same power thing that's through the whole movie, the guy had power over the women by trafficking them, batman had power over him and branded him, beforementioned subtext and all, complete with him being placed higher and even disappearing into the ceiling

the movie has a sort of thematic symmetry at small and large scales, with little scenes having actions that play into the bottleneck of the death and burial at the end

his 'style' relies more on combining images in ways that play on different associations,

from what i know about sucker punch, (haven't seen it) he has a tendency of using continuity of associations through objects in frame, setting something up in the first few moments of a scene, then playing around with it through character action
the thing that's so funny about some of the backlash towards bvs specifically is that it ignores so many details in the movie that would contradict the reading people have of it, which honestly is to be expected out of his obsession with playing with cultural/media signifiers

the best part of it all is the irony that the audience expects the character to be able to be perfect yet do not see how that is for all intents and purposes what god is, whatever the thing is that we project and reference ourselves against

You should see Sucker Punch. It's an indulgent movie, but it has some heavy shit in it.

this

he's seemingly also obsessed with trauma, obviously a thematic carryover

technique wise, i heard sucker punch is interested in.... sharp objects with obvious(or at least what should be obvious) subtext

this just clicked for me, which makes all the speculation on the not-directly-verbalized subtext of meaning in bvs justified

>historical epics

I really want to see like a ridiculously overdone full on snyder hyperbolic adaptation of the epic of gilgamesh

GIRUGAMESH?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh

I dont think anyones directly adapted it, at least not in any modern time. The closest i can think of is a character in fate/zero. But its got the lone/troubled hero angle that snyder loves

STYLISTIC CARRYOVER BETWEEN WATCHMEN AND BVS:

first scene/introduction of comedian - introduction of batman

Both of these scenes introduce their characters through symbols of personal significance to the characters and of thematic importance to the movie that both end their scenes and play into the rest of the movie
watchmen comedian scene:
>starts on the smile and pull back to reveal comedian and who he is, while riffing on perception of media and the nature of sex and violence within the movie
>ends on him being thrown out after saying "its all a joke", smile now has blood on it
batman scene
>starts on batarang, riffs on how he's perceived, even by the ahem, POWERLESS people he's helping, reveal of... interesting situation going on upstairs, riff on perception by cops as well
>bat symbol is now branded on the guy's shoulder
both of these scenes use some visual element, in this case literal symbols with multiple meanings, in the same way to provide structure while also playing into greater themes that play into the rest of the screentime
you can't disagree on whether or not this is what he's doing, you can only argue whether or not this can be used to argue for artistic merit

I'm laughing so hard at this