Valerian Is the Most Expensive Film in French History

>The comic follows spatio-temporal agents Valerian and Laureline as they travel the universe through time and space. Titled Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, the movie is visually stunning (as seen in the trailers) and features over 200 different alien species, so it’s no surprise that Valerian has become France’s most expensive film to date.

>Cineuropa shares that Besson’s new sci-fi adventure was made on a €197.47 million budget, according to a report published by CNC in 2016, making it the most expensive production in French film history. The number one spot was previously held by Asterix at the Olympic Games (2008) with a €78 million budget – an adventure-fantasy film which, by the way, received the “Gérard du cinéma” for “Worst French film made in 2007”.

Why do the french want one of the biggest blunders of all time?

youtube.com/watch?v=cPeqNTqZNN0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LYNnHZ_oxjk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Looks like shit, luc besson fucking biggest fraud since Roland emmerich

wot

Can't wait to watch this in theaters

It looks incredible, but I guess it better for $250 million. I don't think it will do well sadly.

I take Valerian when I have to go to sleep.

If this was made by James Cameron it would make a billion at least. There'd probably also be a new tripfag that's obsessed over it

I wonder if Dane still posts here.

>french

Holy fuck this is gonna flop so hard.

who approved of this in the first place

i love the incestual vibes between the two siblings

>Cara Delevigne

disgusting, I probably would've given it a chance too if I didn't have to watch that ugly talentless whore on screen

Would you rather have these 2 in the lead, or Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence?
Or Sam Worthington and Zoe Zaldana?

this has got Bogdanoff written all over it.

im guessing it's just a creative accounting project

>$250 million
>for 2 B-listers and a green screen

The leads aren't very interesting. Looks neat though.

>who approved of this in the first place

not enough quips

isn't that the question of the day actor is fine

them forcing Cara as a real actress now is lame as fuck though

Absolutely savage

Will it save space opera genre? I want to believe.

WHO THE FUCK LET THESE KIDS ON THE SET?

Holy shit is there some kind of fucking Kids Next Door right inside Hollywood? Is there some Animaniacs secret agency right inside the Warner Brothers tower? How the FUCK do these talentless parentless kids keep getting on the movie set? Are they homeless or what? They look like they haven't slept or ate properly in over in a year.

It's going to bomb so fucking hard besson will commite suicide

Feels bad, it looks like cool sci-fi

Yeah, but just like Jupiter Ascended it's going to be a mess of talentless actors and horrible script writing and directors who can't direct worth a shit.

The choice of lead actors is down right laughable.
Too bad it seems like it could have been great.

>Jupiter Ascended
Not that guy but the movie had great ideas,suffered from incompetence and poor choice of lead.

>wolf genes or some shit
>grows wings
what the fuck, man

>"destiny is within your hands"
>two leads acting like self absorbed nitwits
at a certain point, a story has to make some sort of connection with plausible reality.
>from a graphic "novel"
ummmm......yeah.....

It looks like Jupiter Ascending and that's a good thing.

Nah he's pretty cool, just hit and miss.

>time flies when you're having fun

But it really wasn't half-bad. In fact, if you just eliminated Kalique (the female Abrasax) and combined Titus and and Balem Abrasax, this would be a very concise and well-put together "chosen one" story.

I did think some of the humor from Jupiter's awe of being "thrust into royalty" got really trite, and the chemistry between her and Caine wasn't exactly given enough time to become believable, but the movie was visually beautiful to look at and all of the actors performed competently given what character types they were supposed to be.

Particularly, I found Eddie Redmayne's maniacal totalitarian with mommy issues to be very well-done, a superior attempt at Javier Bardem's similar character in Skyfall. And the space battles were fucking glorious to witness in theaters. But you could actually see what was going on throughout them unlike similar movies which have trouble keeping the objects of importance in the frame for longer than a second.

I give it 6/10, maybe a 6.5. Not as good as Cloud Atlas, but the Wachowskis have proven themselves capable of making an entertaining, immersive fantasy movie yet again.

>great ideas
Perhaps, but after most of them were already used in Matrix and Cloud Atlas they were already kinda stale. Wachowski seem to be really struggling with not ending up as one trick ponies.

Great palette of colours and interesting organic environments, but the designs of the cities aren't that great. If they wanted Avatar numbers, they should have shown more naturalistic areas.

>Valérian was created by Mézières and Christin as a reaction to the fearless boy-scout (e.g. The Adventures of Tintin) and American superhero characters that were prevalent in comics available in France at the time. Instead they sought to devise a "banal character" with "no extraordinary means of action".[7] Eventually, with Christin feeling that they had gone too far with this angle and that the Valérian character had become too stupid...
this would have been a perfect role for Seth Rogen.

Visually and from the design point of view it was astounding. Now, if only there was a less cliche plot to go with it. I haven't read Valerian. But I hope Yuropoor capeshit is less formulaic than Murrican.

Just part of the shoehorned teen love story.

Oh I agree completely even though I cant comment on cloud atlas since I haven't seen it yet.
The whole immortality as a currency was really well played in my book.

Are you working on something new?
They kind of went under the radar after their sex change or whatever.

Can I have, dare I say it, a quick rundown on these two?

>Are they working*
Sorry about that

how about a run back to pleddit with your shitty forced meme

What?

Calm down autismo

Same old action adventure sci-fi with great visuals and effects but that's pretty much it.

I will not be silenced again. There is no artistic value, we are letting this generation of degenerates ruin any standards, morality and value we ever had for this world.

Don't you want it to end? Aren't you tired of it all?

Who is this for exactly?

It looks like Jupiter Ascending 2

>Cara Delevingne
>Dane DeHaan
>Rihanna
No, just no.

Try reading the metabarons for euro comics, its one of the best comics I have read.

im hyped

Are they siblings? Do they fugg?

I'm pretty sure they're just sticking with Sense8, which is a really well-made show despite some obvious politics at play.

Cara actually does have tits though

Delete this

weird choice of leads in a big action blockbuster

>space opera
>boring leads
>no eddie redmayne-esque performance to save it

dead on arrival

Why do normies hate Dane Dehaan? He's a legit good actor.

her lips are lewd

>AMS 2
>Cure for Wellness
>This

Ohh man, i hate that cliche chorus showing at the introduction of the movie.

So is this another stupid movie about "mah diversity" in the space, and how a pair of annoying assholes save the universe saving some weird ancestral shit...or something?

>So is this another stupid movie about "mah diversity" in the space

What was the first

The budget has got to be some tax evasion horseshit, there's no way they could have blown that much on it.
I'll watch it when it's out on BD, seems kinda fun.

This looks great. I am hype but not sure about the leads.

This.
>MMXVII
>giving Besson any sort of a budget to make films
He is like the French version of the Wachowski freaks.

Needs a higher res

Abator

>Don't you want it to end? Aren't you tired of it all?
Hi Jack.

Looks like it will be a great movie. No idea if I am going to watch it in cinemas though.

I wish I knew more about the source material to get hyped but apparently this is what inspired Star Wars and many other sci fi stuff

Maybe if they budget went to advertising the movie then more would be interested in seeing it ay?

When does this come out? This year? And if it wasn't for Sup Forums I would have never known this movie exists...

>Rihanna
One of the hottest humans ever born is going to be in this?

YESS

Dane DeHaan is one of my fav actors no joke. Why do people hate him?

He seems like one of those actors that actually tries to be serious and not just a quip character in what he does

Thread theme
youtube.com/watch?v=LYNnHZ_oxjk

>he doesn't consider Rihanna a Goddess

Whatever you say man.

>serious

yes because green goblin is such a serious role

>yes because green goblin is such a serious role
But it was?

>Slowly dying
>wants his friend to help him find a cure

kys

you cry because of Lucy? more specifically because of the "10% usage of the brain" gimmick?

>Carlos Delevigne

cant wait for the belly dance scene. kino.

Cameron probably had a stroke and lost his mind. When did he made something godd last time? Jurassic Park. Yeah.
Avatar? no.. that sold itself only bc the 3D
and now he want a franchise with that crap! he clearly lost it.

>He doesn't believe in the 10% usage of the brain theory
SAD

>Cameron
>Jurassic Park
What?

>I found Eddie Redmayne's maniacal totalitarian with mommy issues to be very well-done, a superior attempt at Javier Bardem's similar character in Skyfall.
> a superior attempt at Javier Bardem's similar character in Skyfall.

Am I faceblind or do they look like siblings?

Are they not in the movie?

IIRC they kiss and talk about boning in the trailer, so I don't think so. If it's wincest this is a must watch.

>High budget
>Definitive flop
>Imaginative direction
>Fun cast and action
>Quirky uniqueness

Future cult classic in the making.
Damn shame it's going to flop.

I will never understand Sup Forums's hateboner for Cara

Also what the fuck is wrong with captcha???

You have to fill out like 10 images now

Ah the eyebrow that can poke you in the eye if you look at it wrong.

How do I meat a girl like Cara Delevingne?

>features over 200 different alien species

This is a kind of dumb thing to say. What they mean is "you see 200 different costumes in the flick because we let our designers go nuts and didn't call for any consistency between designs".

200 alien species might as well be 0 alien species because if you never elaborate on what makes them different from us, they might as well be humans in fancy hats.

Skyfall sucked.

Nope. Their whole schtick is that Valerian is a womanizer and Laureline is a cocktease. They flirt endlessly but she never puts out.

Full cast, by the way.

>Dane Dehaan as Valerian, a corageous, womanizing and cocksure agent protecting the space-time continuum.

>Cara Delevigne as Laureline, a virginial and resourceful agent protecting the space-time continuum. Valerian's longtime partner and object of affection.

>Clive Owen as Commander Arün Filitt, Valerian & Laureline's superior officer.

>Sam Spruell as General Okto Bar, the military leader of of Alpha, the "City of One Thousand Planets".

>Rihanna as Bubble, a mysterious and seductive shapeshifting nightclub singer from Alpha.

>Ethan Hawke as Jolly, a cyborg pimp who sponsors Bubble.

>John Goodman.
>Rutger Hauer.
>Mathieu Kassovitz.
>Kris Wu.
>Alain Chabat.
>Herbie Hancock.

besson is good though

Idk. She's cute in a unique way, she's not a fat bitch, and her acting is no worse than any other British actress.

Isn't that the question of the day?

>Rihanna
>No, just no.

You gay, son?

whats with the quips?