How did your country's capital city become the capital?

How did your country's capital city become the capital?

To prevent a rivalry between Philadelphia and NYC.

Jews

Built after winning against the Ottoman Empire and simply replaced the old capital as the new capital.

I honestly don't know why it's not another city

the mongols destroyed the previous royal seat of the kingdom of hungary in 1241 so the king decided to build a new one a few kilometers to the south, on top of a steep hill, overlooking the river and the surrounding flat lands

isn't your capital basically two cities merge into one?

we got tired of sw*Doids and moved to Helsinki instead of *bo

Napoleon made it the capital.

Before Napoleon The Hague was the capital. And that's still where our King, government, Parliament, Supreme Court and international institutions are located.

People wanted to choose something that'd be balanced between Northern and Southern states. Otherwise NYC was destined to be the capital.

Ottawa is capital because it is located directly on the border of English and French Canada. There would have been too much butthurt from one side or the other had our capital been put in Toronto or Montreal.

It was one of the biggest cities in the world at the time of the conquest. And it was the place of the dominant culture in Mesoamerica at the time it was "discovered". New Spain was very centralized, and so is Mexico even today, so the city remained big and influential the most influential part of the country for centuries.

The country took the name of the capital as well, not the other way around. Named "Mexico City" during New Spain after "Mexico-Tenochtitlan", the Aztec's capital full name.

balanced between NYC and Philly*

Isn't the Hague only the seat of all those because Brussels and Amsterdam were fighting for the role of capital?

yes, it's comprised of hilly Buda on the west bank of the Danube and flat Pest to the east
the two towns (plus Óbuda, the old royal seat to the north) were merged in 1873

Your capital should be named Tenochtitlan de Mexico because having a capital that's just [name of country] City is boring and lame. It was apparently renamed since it's hard to pronounce but you still kept Mazatlán, Tuxtla, Nezahualcoyotl, etc

No. The Hague has been the capital since 1584, which was during our 80 year independence war.

Yeah, looked it up. Was capital since the county of Holland. Interesting.

So what was the status of Amsterdam before 1808? Was it an important city?

Brussel was the capital of the Habsburg Netherlands within the Holy Roman Empire, which was before The Netherlands was founded.

But in the Dutch perspective our history tends to start when we declared independence. So anything before it tends to get forgotten.

Historically Utrecht has been one of our oldest and most important cities.
Amsterdam is a fairly young city, but it rose to power due to it's harbors.
During our golden age Amsterdam became the center of European trade together with Paris and London.
That's when they became relevant.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think we brought back the native names after independence. The places were most likely named differently during the colony (New Galicia, New Vizcaya, etc.) the Spaniards couldn't pronounce lots of words.

Tenochtitlan was destroyed either way, tho, unlike other Mesoamerican cities in here, so Mexico City is ok if Tenochtitlan technically no longer exists aside from a few ruins and canals.

Tšars move in mysterious ways

Until trading over seas became a thing Amsterdam was irrelevant.

>yfw it still looks the same after several centuries

Captured from Papacy in 1871

Well it was the first city founded by the Spanish conquerors...

Philadelphia would've been the capital, and should've been the capital. Never liked D.C. that much

Its the only city worth a shit

jews

Because someone tought it was nice to change the capital from Rio de Janeiro to a artificial city in the middle of the country

It was the capital of Wallachia for about 400 years. When Wallachia united with Moldova, the capital was supposed to be a city at the border between them but Bucharest was bigger and richer.

I've always heard this online, but anytime I've mentioned this to a BR in real life they act like I'm a weirdo saying something completely outlandish. I mean that Brasilia is a completely artificially settled city

Also I should note that Vlad the Impaler made it the capital of Wallachia in the first place, as it was his residence. It started out as a citadel close to the border with the Ottomans then it became a commercial center.

I once asked a Venezuelan girls about favelas. And she said they didn't exist.

By being a complete shithole. Swedes are attracted to shit.

>tfw your capital used to be a capital of Russia

>Russian Emperor Alexander I of Russia moved the Finnish capital from Turku to Helsinki in 1812 to reduce Swedish influence in Finland, and to bring the capital closer to St. Petersburg. Following the Great Fire of Turku in 1827, The Royal Academy of Turku, at the time the country's only university, was also relocated to Helsinki, and eventually became the modern University of Helsinki. The move consolidated the city's new role and helped set it on a path of continuous growth. This transformation is highly apparent in the downtown core, which was rebuilt in neoclassical style to resemble St. Petersburg, mostly to a plan by the German-born architect C. L. Engel.
Alexander 1 was pretty cool guy in general, gave finns autonomy n' sheit

When?

What is that dusky fella doing there?

Foreign traders on the far left (they look a bit Asian or Russian or something)..
Foreign Islamic traders on the right.
Dutch people in black robes and black hats.
Militia on the far right.

>all the people are brown or black today
>full of faggots, whores, tourists and dumb students
You are Russia made out of stolen land.
Our capital is shit, desu.

I thought Amsterdam was the capital untill the Bonapartes moved everything to the Hauge

>Stockholm
>not ebin
r u insane

Because Americans were doing colonial shit although the spiritual capital city is NYC.

It lies in the centre of the French and German speaking part

Nah, we kept almost everything Napoleon did here.

Before Napoleon The Hague was the capital, we were a republic and had quite different laws.
But we kept everything he changed. He also made us a monarchy.

some spanish dude said "this place is nice, lets make a new military stronghold and name it LA MUY NOBLE Y LEAL CIUDAD DE NUESTRA SEÑORA SANTA MARIA DE LA ASUNCIÓN"

Compromise to keep one state from ruling over the country

Ottawa should amalgamate Hull or Gatineau or whatever it's called now and truly become half English half French. You already share most of a bus system

Worst place in Sweden desu.

Looks shit

*teleports behind you*

Last names is also something we picked up from napoleon.

In the war between Moscow and Tver first one won

>ffw Ukraine's capital was named after a Hungarian chieftain

lenin decided so dunno why, probably to destroy all signs of m*narchy including ex-capital

WHY CAN'T I LIVE IN A CITY ON A RIVER?

>3
Russia promoted its capitalization
Old capital of Finland was called Turku and it was Finnish capital even before Swedes conquered Finland, this means Turku was capital even in the year 1000 and Swedes came here at earliest in the year 1300.

Swedes also made Wasa city (completely Swedish city) into Finnish capital some time in 16-17th century but it didn't last many decades.

wow it really does