Horror

Whats your favourite horror film Sup Forums? Not objective or anything, just a thread where we can get comfy and discuss our favourite horror films

Pic related for me (close to choosing the thing), not so much the pea soup as the more subtly disturbing content and a great protagonist

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bTHpw8tqVyI
outpost31.com/todd/stewart.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I cant judge Exorcist properly since its been ages since seeing the theatrical version, the version with meme spider walk is not that great.

Exorcist 3 is my favorite horror ever, also the best psychological film ever. Stellar directing and haunting atmosphere.

Doesnt 3 shit all over the character arcs in 1 though?

The Exorcist is literally horrorkino, it's one of the few horror films that took itself seriously, tried to be something more and succeeded. It's not as fun as Evil Dead tho

>it's one of the few horror films that took itself seriously, tried to be something more and succeeded

What are some others user?

may
I don't really watch horror

Not but Rosemary's Baby and Kuroneko come to mind.

Going the other direction, Polanski's Macbeth is horror Shakespeare.

The Exorcist is overrated to me. It didn't really scare me. Is it a religious thing? My Mum went to a convent and it terrifies her.

The Thing is probably my favourite. Nightmare on Elm Street is pretty fun.

I already know the ending to Rosemary baby, will that ruin the movie for me or does it still stand?

It's not so much that its scary as just has some disturbing implications and great character writing

Yeah, the spirit of the Gemini killer inhabiting Karas' body was pretty fucking stupid. Otherwise it's a pretty good movie and has THAT scare.

>Stanley Kubrick was offered the chance to direct The Exorcist

I wonder how that would have turned out

Friedkin was just as hardcore as Kubrick if not more so. He pulled some shit on the Exorcist set that no modern director would these days.

Oh I know, I think he was the perfect choice, That whole opening sequence in Iraq is 10/10

Creep, Housebound and What We Do in the Shadows are three horror/comedies I watched and enjoyed recently. Especially What We Do in the Shadows is very good, but mainly comedy.

Lately I've been into a bit of giallo as well, can really recommend Deep Red and Blood and Black Lace.

He probably would have changed alot of shit from the book

Its a tie. The Poughkeepsie Tapes and Megan is Missing.

In an alternate universe, there's a Stanley Kubrick directed Lord of the Rings starring The Beatles.

Really? The absolutely amateur acting in both of those just turned me off. Never finished them.

Lake Mungo was pretty disturbing.

Are there any more films with that strange Silent Hill type horror + feels + weird dreamy atmosphere mix?

When I was younger, this was banned, so I only saw Boorman's Exorcist II. Which is a beautiful mess, obvs. But I had a big crush on Linda Blair in it. For years.

Then they released the first one in cinemas on its 25th anniversary, and my penis got very confused by the younger version of the same character.

And that's how I ended up on Sup Forums

Shit son that's some awful taste there

the void, currently.

plebs need to get out. horror is unironically the best genre

Megan is Missing is unexpected kino. Really made me think. Literally, not memecally.

Jacob's Ladder is the most obvious if you haven't seen it.

>he doesn't understand the concept of taste

Meh. In another era it would have been a mediocre exploitation flick. Still is now really.

Psycho or Hausu

Seen it, loved it. Thanks tho user

I respectfully disagree. I think it does excellently with messing around with conventional plot structure, and the complete and utter hopelessness of the ending reminds me of some groundbreaking older films, and more recently, Irreversible, or Eden Lake.

I'd watch it/recommend over 90% of the low budget horrors on the streaming sites.

Pet sematary. Have a huge nostalgic attachment to it, saw it really young at 5 years old. It scarred me prob too lol. Only film to ever frighten me along with candyman, which I saw at 10 years old.

I don't think pet sematary is great or anything but I have a personal attachment to the film. I absolutely love the book too, even more than the film. Book is prob my favourite all time book.

It didn't succeed shut unless you're a Christian murfat that's worried about getting possessed. Movie is literally fucking hilarious. Last time I saw it I was literally loling my face off.

Fair enough. I couldn't look past the student film level production value. To each his own though.

>Christian

???

>great character writing

>YOUR MOTHER SUCKS COCKS IN HELL
Wow such writing, much patrician

Only good part of the movie was the beginning in the Arab country.

The one I enjoy the most would be Alien and Jacobs Ladder

But the straight up scariest film I have ever seen is Inland Empire

Highly recommend this if just for the gorgeous cinematography.

I watched The Thing a week ago and it was pretty cool.
I don't usually care much for horror though.

>succeed shut

mobile posters reliably awful as ever.

And what r u gonna do about it cupcake? Bitch more like u always do? Lmao

the arc of karras is one of the best I've seen in a horror movie

The Shining
Rosemary's Baby
The Tenant

basically movies that give you a pit in your stomach

The Babadook was pretty good aside from how hamfisted the metaphor was.

>The Babadook was pretty good
Stopped reading there

Top 8, in no order:

The Thing
Alien
Bride of Frankenstein
The Exorcist (theatrical)
The Exorcist III
Nosferatu (1979)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Rosemary's Baby

Gave me a headache desu

Glad to see a lot of people here like Exorcist III. I feel like it was pretty much overlooked and forgotten for a long time.

Reminder that neither Macready or Childs was the Thing

Wrong Turn
The Hills have Eyes
Bride of Chucky
TCM The Beginning
The Descent
Rosemary's Baby

>it's a "let's pretent women can be lonely to the point of driving them insane" movie
suspension of disbelief only goes so far

shut up /r9k/.

Good thing that was the last sentence then

>Megan is Missing

Reddit found the joke.

Jesus Christ just fuck off

I have a lot of favorites, but I'd have to say Return of the Living Dead. It has a great balance of humor and horror and I never get tired of watching it.

Really been getting back into Italian horror shit, Suspiria has probably taken the top slot for the time being but The Evil Dead will always be the best

Suspiria is such a great looking movie. I wish horror would start using color again.

Mac def was not, for Childs it's impossible to know other than resorting to fan-fiction. Inb4:

>muh Carpenturr twetes
>muh game cannun
>muh kerrozine
>muh ear-bling
>muh breath

It was a nice memorable scare...why did she hafta wear that goddamned sweater????????

Eyes Wide Shut is patrician horror desu

GOAT scene:
youtube.com/watch?v=bTHpw8tqVyI

But they could have been....
You forgot
>muh different coat
And Mac could totally have been a Thing too...not even he would know.........

delet this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Thing, which is also my favorite movie in general.
I've seen a lot of horror but The Thing is terrifying every time.

Way to go, asshole - you just ruined a really good scare for everyone itt - why don't you fuck off?

>The Poughkeepsie Tapes
>he could be in this theatre RIGHT NOW!!

We need more comfy snow horror kino

I always post this in Thing threads but this old site has some neat pictures from the set back in 2003. They found part of blade from the crashed helicopter.
outpost31.com/todd/stewart.htm

Will add Dagon as a close second.
The setting makes it age well, I recently rewatched in the mouth of madness, which used to be my favourite eldritch movie but found it to be worse than I remembered.

Not my favorite but Candyman still holds up pretty well. The inner city gothic Cabrini-Green setting really sets it apart.

The Thing is acclaimed for obvious reasons (isolation, paranoia, gore) but one truly underrated aspect of the film is sound-engineering. It's literally the creepiest film to LISTEN TO. That fucking score, those animalistic sounds of cry, despair and terror...

I remember hearing the dvd menu music and being creeped out as fuck. Could never find it. Was overjoyed when it was reused for hateful eight.

Regular horror: Pulse, REC
Sci-fi horror: Life, Soma (VG)
Psychological horror: The Orphanage

This TE3 is so insanely much better than all other horror movies I've ever seen.
Wish there was more like it.

1. Braindead.
2. Evil Dead 2.
3. REC.

>What We Do in the Shadows
>horror
What is wrong with you?
That's like calling Black Adder a costume drama

The Orphanage is great. Not sure I would call it psychological horror though. It's more of an old fashioned ghost movie.

Already mentioned here, but
>The Exorcist III
Don't bother with the first and second movie.

Alan Wake is good too, if you're into video games.

she wasn't crazy tho

But was there a ghost at all?

>Inland Empire
Literally the only completely shit movie he ever made

The Exorcist is absolutely worth watching. Legion is great but has its odd/cheesy moments(Fabio and Patrick Ewing cameos).

Yes, quite plainly. I never understood why so many people on this board seem to think the "it was all in his/her head" trope is better than taking the things presented in the movie at face value.

>number 1 horror movie is the Exorcist
>number 2 is the Thing

Hey, OP, I like you!

Any good horror from last 6~ months? I always see the redband trailers but never anything once the movies come out.

My favorites:

Ft13th II and IV
TCM II
Halloween
The Ninth Gate
The Thing

TCM 2 is such an oddball sequel but I've grown to appreciate it.

Suspiria desu senpai alam

It helps that Tobe still had a hand in making it.

It has its own flavor to it but remains true.

It also has my favorite opening sequence of any Horror movie.

Ginger Snaps. I can put it on anytime and enjoy it.

what the fuck was happening in that thread
also The Void is kino as fuck

Raw was great, check it out

>The Ninth Gate
Eh, really?
I think it sucked pretty hard, to be honest.

Yeah, I really like the atmosphere and how it builds up.

I'd like to see this but my local cinema isn't showing it at the moment and i'm not sure if they will at all.

Thats a bummer man, watching it in theaters is pretty tense

Alien. Not quite "scary" but a fucking intense movie.
TCM. Good slasher. Very rare.
Twin Peaks FWWM if you even count that.
Other than that, I agree with OP.

I always felt that you knew when you were a thing. The reason they shared personalities and memories was due to a perfect replication of the brain or whatever

This

Saw it last month and it's one of my faves, up there with the Thing

Noroi