HOW THE FUCK DOES THE SCORING WORK?

HOW THE FUCK DOES THE SCORING WORK?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/why-curlers-sweep-the-ice-2014-2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The rock closest to the middle gets the teams as many points as they have rocks in the circles as long as those rocks are closer to the middle than the enemy team.

does the white circle count?

Cutest team wins....my heart

The winning team gets a point for every rock that is closer to the bullseye than the losing teams best rock. Points are tallied, they wipe the board, and they do it again. Most points at the end wins.

so only one team can score in each session (or whatever it's called)?

what *exactly* do the swiffers do?

Yes, only one team gets points per end, the team that doesn't get points gets the hammer (throw the last rock) in the next end.

>so stupid you don't understand curling scoring
>announcing this stupidity to the world

they hurry hard

seriously though I think sweeping the ice makes the rock go faster

They clean/melt the ice, giving an ever so slight direction for it to go.

Adjust the curl post-throw.

In south Brazil we have a similar sport, but without the broomsticks and with balls instead of the "rocks", it's called *bocha*

this

maybe this image helps

when will yellow get their shit together?

yellow is finland

Yes sweetie, literally everybody everywhere plays bocce. It's a lawn game staple.

Sorry bro, just making conversation, I'm going to enjoy my carnaval party now, go back to your cold cold iglu, alone

This image was a massive help. Thanks based user

Also what purpose does sweeping the ice have? To speed it up?

youll notice the ice is textured. the brooms smooth out the bumps allowing for control of the rock post-throw.

also curling is the most satisfying olympic sport to watch imo

why don't they just make the ice smooth instead of textured?

because then you lose that element of control, making the game less dynamic

Think of it like a rocket launcher where you can manually control the direction of it after it's fired. Except less drastic, of course.

Im pretty sure the brooms heat up the ice and make it more slick and the rock follows the path of least resistance. Not that its textured or anything like that. Im pretty sure thats bullshit.

businessinsider.com/why-curlers-sweep-the-ice-2014-2

"A roughly 42-pound curling rock, or stone, is pushed then slides down a sheet of ice, while two players furiously sweep the surface in front of the stone. The sweeping motion heats up the ice, causing it to become slick, which reduces friction between the stone and the ice. The stone travels farther and straighter as a result"

>me
>not reading the whole article

"Curling is not played on smooth ice used for sports like bobsledding or skating. Instead the surface has little bumps, called "pebbled" ice, made by spraying tiny droplets of water on the ice that freeze. "It's like a whole bunch of mounds and a lot of valleys in between," Shegelski said. The curl is too much on smooth ice, making it hard to herd the stone toward the target. Pebbled ice is used because it makes the spin controllable, according to Shegelski."

What the fuck, Finland? I thought you were cool, then you go and do us like that...

Just rephrasing

The main principle is very simple:
>A stone scores 1 point if it has no opponent stone closer to the center of the house/button (the house is the scoring part with all the circles)

The effect of this is that points only can be awarded to one team in each given end (and there's 8 ends in a game.)

Here's some more good things to know to get a good feel for the ebb and flow of the game:

Having the last stone in an end is a big advantage (called "hammer"), and it alternates every end, i.e. the teams takes turns going first each end.

If a team without the hammer scores points in an end, they have "stolen" that end from the other team (who was expected to score).

The Mixed Doubles has some special rules, mainly:

>Each team only has two members (instead of the usual 4), but they are more free to switch between positions instead.

>At the start of each end, each team gets a pre-placed stone: The team with the hammer gets one placed at the back of the 4-foot (inner) circle, and the other team gets one placed in front of the house (a "guard stone") along the center line.
The intent of a guard stone is to protect your other stone(s) behind it.

>The Mixed Doubles also has a Power Play rule, that allows each team (when they have the hammer) to, once every game, move both pre-placed stones to either side.

kys. its called pebbled ice and its specific to curling.

so it's basically ice bocce ball

It's just closest to the center. The concentric circles are just there for decoration pretty much.

Have you ever played lawn bowling/bocce before? It's exactly the same except this is on ice.

>Goal is to get as many of your stones closest to the middle
>Points are awarded based on how many of your stones are closest to the center within an opponents closest stone

or skeet, but yeah

Do you have bowls clubs in Canada?

That's how the hammer is determined?

I was always under the impression that it just alternated back and forth.

youre clearly a bandwagoner to curling. i bet this is your first olympics watching it, isnt it? maybe next time you should think before you speak

How many qt's you think he's banging with all those condoms?

Motherfucker back in 2010 on this board I helped set up a java curling league. Fuck off.

>it alternates every end

Um no. The team that did not score gets the hammer. If no team scores then the team with the hammer in the scoreless end keeps it in the next end.

just his sister, and they go through a dozen condoms a night

You are right.
I stand corrected.

>claims to have set up a curling league
>still didnt know about the pebbled ice
>actually had the gall to tell me pebbled ice was bullshit

i maintain that you should indeed kys

Yeah. That's where clearing the house to intentionally blank an end to keep the hammer comes into play. A lot of the strategy gamesmanship of curling comes from the hammer rule.

Bruh 2010 Sup Forums was the golden years. Fuck off with your newfaggotry.

>claims to be an oldfag
>still didnt know about pebbled ice

ok, bandwagoner

Just rephrasing

The main principle is very simple:
>A stone scores 1 point if it has no opponent stone closer to the center of the house/button (the house is the scoring part with all the circles)

The effect of this is that points only can be awarded to one team in each given end (and there's 8 ends in a game.)

Here's some more good things to know to get a good feel for the ebb and flow of the game:

Having the last stone in an end is a big advantage (called "hammer")
The team that did not score gets the hammer. If no team scores then the team with the hammer in the scoreless end keeps it in the next end.

If a team without the hammer scores points in an end, they have "stolen" that end from the other team (who was expected to score).

The Mixed Doubles has some special rules, mainly:

>Each team only has two members (instead of the usual 4), but they are more free to switch between positions instead.

>At the start of each end, each team gets a pre-placed stone: The team with the hammer gets one placed at the back of the 4-foot (inner) circle, and the other team gets one placed in front of the house (a "guard stone") along the center line.
The intent of a guard stone is to protect your other stone(s) behind it.

>The Mixed Doubles also has a Power Play rule, that allows each team (when they have the hammer) to, once every game, move both pre-placed stones to either side.

The fact that you dont immediately recognize my trip tells me you havent been on Sup Forums for very long

It took me about 5 minutes of watching curling to understand it.
You cannot be this retarded.

I just want to install that floor in my house so I can glide to the bathroom

fuck that i don't want my feet freezing when i wake up to piss

You may not like it, but this is the male body at it's most refined. This is peak performance.

To me, that stache, body type, and the cap, is the epitome of white american male aesthetics.
Prime examples include Ron Swanson and Randy.

Well, he is american after all.

>not having house slipper sliders

so do they have to resurface the pebbled ice after each turn? Won't the old brush marks leave grooves?

You are a game Lex trip. Real Lex is still locked up. I just visited him

Not too sure on the ice mechanics here, but I'm pretty sure the sweeping only melts the top of the pebbles long enough for the stone to pass over. It probably freezes back a short time after.