This might seem like bait, but is torrenting actually illegal...

This might seem like bait, but is torrenting actually illegal. I know its highly unlikely that the CIA are seriously concerned about me stealing Monty Python from The Pirate Bay, but is it possible that somehow they are on an active search but somehow everyone else has been lucky because their computers aren't as shitty.

IDK, maybe im just paranoid or something.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailystar.co.uk/tech/news/577501/Pirate-Bay-Kickass-Torrent-warning-UK-ISP-message
yify.info/
yesmovies.to/
goody.to/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Electronic_Theft_Act
justice.gov/archive/criminal/cybercrime/press-releases/2000/thorntonSent.htm
torrentfreak.com/after-half-a-decade-we-now-know-what-yify-stands-for-160319/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It really depends on what country you are in

UK

In my country its actually publishing shit thats illegal.

With torrents its a major pain in the ass to prove in court you actually spread a given intellectual property and its even more pain in the ass when an asshole attorney starts asking whether random packets of data your computer is sending out can really be thought to constitute anyones intellectual property if on their own they can hardly be reassembled as any given work.

So they just throw these cases into the shitter most of the time, but I've seen them convict megaupload etc. uploaders and god forbid if you actually try profitting from it.

Yes.
But you only get proper fucked if you're seeding lots.
They go after the people sharing them, rather than the people downloading them.
I've been downloading for like 17 years or so in the UK, never had a single letter, phone call... nothing.
I've downloaded at least 5TB in the past few years alone.

This
>ever seeding
lmao

Here's how the six strikes system in the US works:
1. Media companies hire other companies to write software that logs IP addresses found in lists of torrent seeds/peers
2. Logged IPs are sent with DMCA notifications to the ISPs using those IPs
3. The ISP looks at its logs to see who was using that IP at the time and sends the person an email notifying them of the DMCA
4. If they have to send more than 3, they start punishing the offender by throttling speeds for a time
5. If you get 6 or more, they terminate your service

Not all ISPs use it. Also, you shouldn't have to worry about law enforcement unless you are torrenting something that is illegal to even possess like CP.

Oh and one thing I really believe is relevant in ANY EU country is this - no government will actually commit ANY resources to actively try and honeypot people who download shit from piratebay. Its a massive waste of money and no one gives a shit anyway.

If someone keeps track of people torrenting its those intellectual property non government organizations that get funding from actual publishers - they are the ones submitting cases to court and if anyone ever sets up honeypot torrents its them.

Trust me the police is really too fucking busy trying to bust people committing real actual crimes like murder or pedophilia every day

t. works in law enforcement of an EU country

Cheers guys. Seen some stupid news article here about getting some email bullshit. The vote results show though kek.
dailystar.co.uk/tech/news/577501/Pirate-Bay-Kickass-Torrent-warning-UK-ISP-message

>CIA
FBI

sorry m8 ;)

In my country they're too greedy to even spend some money on bullet for military training, forcing military forces to LITERALLY shout ''bang bang!'' during training. I am pretty confident they're not going after at least half the country for downloading a shitty camrip

>They go after the people sharing them, rather than the people downloading them.

False. Copyright Trolls in Europe and US go after pepole who are in the swarms - this is the pack of IPs in any tracker/torrent/DHT system.

You do not need to seed, they just need to see your IP in the swarm and thus they will claim you were sending the file to 100,000+ people in the swarm.

The actual upload isn't relevant, you have bought the file to the audience without permission, that is a crime on itself (uploading, a different crime).

>have a vpn
>people tell me it's overkill
>don't care

I do buy lot of nas enclosures and hard drives, though

You seed while Torrenting. Seeding is uploading. Uploading copyright material is illegal.

Downloading/streaming a movie is 100% legal, as long as you don't share/upload it.

If you get caught by a copyright group they'll tell your isp, who'll then send you a letter.

If you're uploading a lot you could face court and fines.

Fuck torrents. Join a fileshare forum, use r/megalinks, or try these

yify.info/
yesmovies.to/
goody.to/

>Downloading/streaming a movie is 100% legal, as long as you don't share/upload it.

No.

You don't need to seed while torrenting. You can even block it from the 1. client 2. from your router.

>legal
Most countries don't think it's legal, it's illegal but not criminal (ie. to watch a youtube stream of a film that's clearly not supposed to be there)

The way copyright trolling works is they claim that you having the file out in the open - publicly is the crime itself. Not your uploading (different crime).

The actual ul does not matter in case of copyright trolls (that much)

In Denmark it is "practically legal" because courts have established that a screenshot of your IP seeding/downloading is not sufficient evidence in court that it was you who did it even if the IP is registrered to you.

They can only convict you if they have seized your computer and I doubt the police will spend time on that unless it's really massive sharing.

WWE is currently bringing charges against a group of friends who shared a WWE movie between them. The movie starred Wade Barrett. They are going to have to spend so much money defending themselves for a wade barrett movie

WWE has reportedly filed a lawsuit against a number of unknown bit torrent users on Thursday, April 6th in the United States District Court of Connecticut, according to worldipreview.com report.

The lawsuit alleges that the users “unlawfully acquire, reproduce, and distribute” the WWE Studios film Eliminators." “

"Eliminators" is a 2016 US action thriller film released by WWE Studios. WWE used forensic software to identify the IP addresses associated with the infringement; WWE is asking for actual damages, statutory damages of $150,000 per infringement, costs and jury trial.

kek

If you want to be safe, you'll have to spend a little money. Invest in something like a torrent proxy, VPN, or seedbox. Just make sure you do research and choose one that doesn't keep logs and is good for torrenting copyrighted material.

it's legal if you own the product.

It's quite ironic that here in Europe; law enforcement doesn't give a fuck about torrenting. You can torrent an entire library and still have no issues whatsoever. In the land of the brave and the land of the free however, they're pissing their blankets fearing the feds will show up at their front door first thing in the morning.

It's incredibly illegal. My uncle is serving 23 years for torrenting Game of Thrones.

The feds generally don't go after you unless you download or seed a ton of stuff. Copyright infringement is a civil crime by default, but the NET Act allows for criminal prosecution when the value of copyrighted materials exceeds $1000.

More info: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Electronic_Theft_Act

That said, I almost never hear of anyone being prosecuted for this unless they're running some kind of piracy site. Here's an example: justice.gov/archive/criminal/cybercrime/press-releases/2000/thorntonSent.htm

Honest question, how old are you?

He could be older than you think. I didn't figure out torrenting until my senior year of college because I am a procrastinating square

If someone like kanye west can post being seen using pirate bay why not you

Only seeding is really illegal. No ISP gives a fuck what you download or how you download it, as long as your pay your bill every month.

Seeding is for bitches and whores.

A/s/l?

Exactly. Torrents are bait.

How likely it is to get ransomware or other serious malware bullshit from popular torrents? I'm too paranoid to download anything.

oh shit, all those poor guys are stuck in there with him, wouldn't want to be the guy sharing his cell

Oh, that's cool. I got a letter in the mail that threatened legal action upon me for downloading Kanye West music.

git gud fuccpleb

>tfw living in second golden age of piracy

>grandpa tell me stories of when you downloaded Dirty.Back.Door.Sluts.BDRip.720p.x264-AVS

How do I do this

No, torrenting is not illegal you retard.

You can see what the fuck you're downloading.

Just get a VPN if you're worried faggot

My internet provider had a court order to block TPB but it seems to be working again...? Haven't used the site in years though

I met Stan Brakhage at one of his installations not long before he died. You get good fuccpleb. ;^)

I had to pay 900€ for torrenting Batman vs. Superman. I'm from Germistan. Just Use a VPN

Popular public torrents wont have viruses so dont worry about that
Also dont think of the pirate bay as distributing the illegal content but think of it more as a search engine to find torrents

Italy. We do the fuck we want here. Homeland of piracy bruh. Sorry for you having paranoia. Never bought a single movie or album (some vidyas, the online ones lol) in the last 15 years. Just finished my nth series directly by torrent. While seeding, too.

I never gave a single fuck about law, and never seen anyone pay this shit.

you're just a retard

pay for a yearly VPN, turn it on while ur torrents are active

GG

>Calls someone else a retard
>Pays and puts in effort

kek

we are not talking about whats on the paper. But on whats actually done

and they after people who share, thats it

The United States ensures the freedom of your goods not being stolen.

Been torrenting since 2004, not a single letter. In Ireland.

I was actually served a subpoena for torrenting. I was supposed to go to court and everything. One of my uncles is a lawyer, however, and his advice was to ignore it. The court date passed and nothing ever came of it. Supposedly even if they go through your history and see that you downloaded files, there is no way to prove you actually did it - unless you respond to the letter, which is effectively an admission of guily

how the fuck?

been plundering booty of all types since bearshare/kazaa lite days about 17 years or so ago starting on dial up and not a single fuck was ever given

private trackers, ratio cheaters that disable uploading entirely (and comcast incompetence) are your friend for torrents

Just download old shit that isn't currently popular and an active concern for the companies that made it

they really only police new shit

Gud bevare DK.

Tilgengæld ved jeg PET logger min trafik.

Realistically any letters/emails you get are scare tactics from the rights holders or your ISP being pressured into sending them to frighten you into admitting to it (which is almost impossible to prove because you can just say in court "whats a pirate bay? my kids use the computer sometimes maybe they did it" ect) and settle in a private court (since the government hasn't been bribed enough by movie studios ect to do it themselves) and if you just ignore it then nothing will happen (court fines wise at least, some cucked ISPs will fuck with your service).

Verizon tried throttling my bandwidth after I downloaded something from TPB, I can't even remember what. I immediately canceled my Verizon internet and signed up for faster internet with a rival company. Fuck Verizon.

Someone must have hacked my WiFi, your honor. I'll change the password s soon as I get home.

Downloading is legal, uploading is a felony (US).
Almost no one is prosecuted. When they are though its to make an example, though.

I just stream. It's technically legal. And I don't need to fill up my hard drive.

It's almost like the US is the one producing the goods and is trying to ensure they aren't stolen. While lazy Europoors just leach.

kek that's what they get for not using private trackers

Ive been pirating since 2000.

You people are absolutely retarded.

DC++, early bittorrent, usenet, latter bittorrent with private servers, using bittorrent magnets created from third world websites (Russian, etc) that don't interweave much on English sites, and fucking DDL websites (using zippyshare and shit).

Get on my level, retarded newfaggot plebs. I bet you all are nu/g/ posters as well since 2009.

most of us dont speak moon

Private is worse, the swarms are smaller. If they get into a private tracker they might aim to hit the site itself, rather than the small number of users. Obviously report the fact you got a DCMA to the tracker, tell them the torrent, when/where you were in the swarm and hopefully they can hunt down the individual.

I torrented for years with no consequences

then maybe 2 years ago I downloaded nacho libre and got my first letter

I downloaded all the newest shit, and these cunts got me for fucking nacho libre

It's literally $2 a month. The VPN program of most companies is >login >select server/protocol >turn on. Incredibly straight forward. If $2 is the issue then you'd have to hunt for sock5 proxies for your torrenting program, but many of those are not going to be free.

Wait a minute.
Piratebay still exists? I thought they wrapped it up after the gazillionth time getting busted.

I think Germany does take measures against those downloading content based on what a friend of mine that was living there told me.
But yeah, most EU countries give virtually no fucks about people downloading stuff.

you only get caught if your stupid
look at YIFY
torrentfreak.com/after-half-a-decade-we-now-know-what-yify-stands-for-160319/
>Yiftach Swery
>YTS
>using your initials as the name of your torrent group

do what
im jealous

Speaking of moon, are p2p networks like perfectdark, share etc still alive. I haven't used a internet p2p network since limewire. I've used DC++ for local file transfers at lans, but never bothered to really use and browse it when at home.

More inherently worried about security vulnerabilities with p2p and the high levels of fakes (not just in the movie.avi.exe way, but just straight up false labeling).

The FBI is too busy distributing cp to care about film piracy.

leave CIA to me

Hollywood only cares about recent releases since they only really make money during the first few weeks of release.

More like leave MOSSAD to me

Why not use Tor?

Do you know anything about the internet?

>just use torrenting for anime and JAV
>Japs don't care about gaijin downloading their shows online
>never have to worry about ISP sending a letter
>there are suckers out there dumb enough to actually pay for a crunchyroll sub