Is this an example of good contemporary cinema?

Is this an example of good contemporary cinema?

I liked it

It's good but nothing extraordinary. You don't see enough movies if this is your example of great contemporary art

That's not DCEU.
Yes, it is an example of good contemporary cinema.

No it's pretentious and reddit as fuck

t. Mr Gay Pride of the upper west side

can you give me some examples?

Sharknado 2

ok

>No it's pretentious
elaborate

I have no interest in the movie's (technical) theme, but I was pretty captivated by the story and characters. The final scene literally had me shaking and almost in tears.

I was kinda stoned at the time and that might've been a factor, but goddamn it's a 10/10 for me, easily in my top 5

>The final scene literally had me shaking and almost in tears
jesus christ

Nigger he's DESTROYING those drums and just assblasting his instructor. It was magical.

dishonest filmmaking

Expand on this

Dishonest Filmmaking
(Tarantino, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Wes Anderson, Christopher Nolan, Alex Garland, Paul Thomas Anderson, Nicholas Refn, Tom Hooper, Tyler Perry, Rian Johnson, Alfonso Cuaron, Noah Baumbach, Andrea Arnold, David Yates, Denis Vilenueve, James Franco, Steve McQueen) are intellectually bankrupt moral whores and charlatans; their films appeal to the modern phenomenon of the 'Pretend Epic' or Pseudo Cinema, often tied to the criticism that "It was a movie that thought it was a film" they have no ideas of their own and are filmed purely to have fancy essays made about them. They obfuscate their lack of insight under a smug impenetrable irony and often contain scenes with disingenuous attempts at depth with characters spouting platitudes that the director takes VERY seriously.
This directly panders to the IMDb reddit sensibility of quote circlejerking since these hacks are masters of the fools wit, "Quipping" (Not to be confused with the marvel co-opting of the word) , it sounds smart, cool and worldly but in reality there's nothing of substance, the Revenant's attempt at spiritualism was cheap and laughable and whilst someone like Malick has considered his philosophy, Inaurritu wears his introspection on his sleeve to give his film a false sense of depth with pathetic sermonising.

THIS is Dishonest Filmmaking.

They leech the greater works that preceded them; like The Enemy being a rip off Eraserhead, but they have nothing else to say.
They act under the guise of deconstruction with surface layer obvious 'social commentary' and a quirky forgettable score praised as 'innovative'. They are all inauthentic sycophants that rely on oscar buzz and post 9/11 detachment for relevance.

These directors are hacks and will be forgotten to time.

Some notably earnest filmmakers include, but are not limited to

>Mike Leigh
>The Coen Brothers
>Werner Herzog
>James Cameron
>Mel Gibson
>Terrence Malick
>Gaspar Noe
>Clint Eastwood

>stop liking what i dont like

I don't know how seirous you are but this seriously sums up my problems with Inherent Vice, so I'll start paying attention.
Also helps that your earnest filmmaker list is good (Mel Gibson might be earnest but he's still shit though)

>this seriously sums up my problems with Inherent Vice, so I'll start paying attention.
explain

>guys i called it reddit do i fit in yet

>earnest filmmakers

>Clint Eastwood

nope

Pretentious how?
>I like drumming
>I want to be a great drummer
>I'll go to extremes to reach my goal
>you're gonna have to practice like hell
>drumming is my gf now wait no I want my gf back

I think Whiplash honestly asked if the ends justify the means. And true it's an age old question but we need to ask us this question every once in a while as a society. The answer might even change. I just think the question was presented in an easy to understand way and the movie in itself was very tense and enjoyable. But you do yours.

its message is fundamentally wrong
pretends to know things about music/jazz

movie would've made more sense if he disowned the bald teaching guy rather than continue to be his bitch boy

>its message is fundamentally wrong

What message did you get out of the film?

>pretends to know things about music/jazz

Are you an expert on jazz? I'm asking because i don't know much about it so im interested in hearing your opinion on this one. Is there something the movie got wrong in that area?
>movie would've made more sense if he disowned the bald teaching guy rather than continue to be his bitch boy

Being the best was his dream, and he knew, deep inside, that the only way to achieve that dream was throught Fletcher.