Hey there /b, does anybody know a thing or two about pellet guns/pellet gun ammo...

Hey there /b, does anybody know a thing or two about pellet guns/pellet gun ammo? Which type of ammunition creates the most damage against solid objects anywhere from ~ 10-70 yards out? My gun shoots 460 FPS.

Attached: CFD1955E-B773-4F66-8D44-61C0BF6A10C5.jpg (500x245, 36K)

460 FPS isn't gonna do shit against anything other than pop cans and small birds. Go to Walmart and get one that shoots in the 1,000+ FPS range. If there isn't any on there, Gamo is a decent website and has a wide range of guns. .22 is gonna be harder hitting than .177, but .177 is gonna go faster than .22

The only guns I’ve seen shooting upwards of 1000 FPS are pretty big and expensive rifles. All I’ve got is a pistol right now, shoots .177s. Are there any pistols/revolvers in the 1000 FPS range, or can only larger rifles achieve that velocity?

It's been a while since I shot pellet guns, probably 10 or so years, and at that time, I bought one from walmart for less than $120. It came with two barrels, one for .177 and one for .22. It was a good rifle. The .22 did just over 900fps and the .177 did just over 1,100. I also got a rifle from walmart a while ago for around $110 that was .177 and did 1,200fps. No pistol that I know of is gonna reach those speeds around all. What are you trying to do exactly?

Just target practice to get better at live shooting. I’m new to pellet guns and wanted to see if anyone knows the difference between ammunition since there’s a couple different kinds. Mainly wondering what kind is best for accuracy, velocity, stopping power, etc. I know each one has trade offs

Okay, if you're just doing target practice, the regular flat head ones will be just fine. They go a bit slower than the pointed ones, but they were cheaper back when I was buying them. Idk if they still are or not. Anything that looks stupid or overcomplicated, probably is. When I was younger, I used to glue steel BBs onto the tips of my pellets, like pic related, and it did make them penetrate a bit more, but other than that, just use cheap pellets for target practice and get some pointy ones for hunting, if you ever plan on doing so

Attached: _MG_5634.jpg (1650x1100, 72K)

Ok, thanks that’s helpful to know.

Do you know what kind of pellet packs the biggest punch? Those pointed ones look like they’re good for penetration, but don’t do much damage.

Oh, didn’t know that was a thing. Thanks user

depleted uranium core pellets

no prob. ill mail you the bill

The biggest punch would be a hollow point of some sort, although with them being so small, the effects of a tiny divot in the lead are small at best. Stick to flat heads or hollow points for hard hits and pointy for penetration

I’d be weary of buying hollow points. Pellet guns are not capable of delivering the velocities needed to provide proper biller expansion. .22lr’s have the same issue

Gotcha. Do you think 465 FPS is enough velocity to allow the hollow point to truly be effective?

What velocity is required for proper expansion on hollow points?

No

Depends on the caliber and composition of the round

Nah, has a really good point. Like I said, just stick to the flat heads and pointed ones

>round
its a pellet gun

.177 caliber and copper or lead

Lead pellets are shit. It is necessary to buy a smoothbore gun on CO2 shooting steel balls. Breaks even a bottle of champagne. A bird can be killed.

Attached: 300px-BB_gun_with_CO2_and_BBs.jpg (300x269, 18K)

Smoothbore is less accurate than rifled barrels

Neither will expand. The weight of the projectile is way too low to be effective. Stick to maximizing penetration and focus on proper shot placement.

smooth bore = shit accuracy

Attached: 1911.jpg (1200x1200, 382K)

I had a lead-shot air rifle. She couldn't punch a beer bottle.

And a CO2 gun with steel balls even punches a champagne bottle.

Yes it is. But you can punch any bottle. With ten meters easily. And quite accurately shoots. I have a diamond eye. Easily shot a very large bird in the woods.

if you don't have a lot of money I would suggest getting the parabellum style of pellet it's not exactly the Flathead wadcutter and it's not exactly plenty it's round you know like a normal non hollow-point 9 mm bullet but smaller that will give you the best of both worlds with only having to purchase one type of ammunition

Pointy not plenty. Just woke up

Attached: sample_dba2a6fb9f16ead84ae3370548fb99c4.jpg (850x1079, 321K)

a high end weirauch pistol or rifle hits like a mule, but at that price point you'd be better off with a real firearm, unless you have restrictive licenses in your country

Attached: hw77k-open-sights-900x800.jpg (900x800, 22K)

flat headed pellets are more flight stable and deliver more kinetic energy to the target. heavier pellets are less vulnerable to wind.. 177 is for getting good numbers on the range, but 22 will kill more prey. don't trust these keyboard warriors, buy as many types as you can and test. quality control pellets by weighing individually as most manufacturers have terrible qc. dieseling will makw your rifle deadly but is illegal and will fuck the seals and loading port

look into "dieseling".
it can damage your airgun though, so use it at your own risk.

Nah his gun has a clip and a scope, so it's probably full-scale assault pellet gun

Haha, you need an upgrade. Recently I invested in a ‘break-barrel nitro piston powered air rifle’. Shoots up to 1,400 FPS, it will go through 1/4” of wooden fence at 25 yards. Most of these rifles even come with a somewhat decent scope.

Attached: CE6BED64-533E-4AF8-B239-922835F880E3.png (900x600, 85K)

After you load a pellet put a little dab of Vaseline on the back of pellet, guarantee it’ll add 150 FPS or more

Try it when you have time and compare the difference you’ll be shocked how much stronger it gets