FMG/SWG

Filmmaking/videographer/kinographer/screenwriter/unemployed thread.

Post the stuff you are working on. In pre-production? in production? or are you in post already?

Want some feedback or just post some stills, its all good just post it up.

If you want some feedback try the skype: join.skype.com/IR718GCXNU4M

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/209642141
filmschoolrejects.com/watch-the-3-best-roman-polanski-short-films-from-the-1950s-685530e38c17
youtu.be/hlmmh-bRjB8
youtube.com/watch?v=0H3eeQJJEqo
youtube.com/watch?v=BQFJhir42a0
youtube.com/watch?v=Op1UeV29u9k
youtube.com/watch?v=zJzxk03NRmM
kickstarter.com/projects/2050134024/blood-machines-turbo-killer-2
cinecrowd.com/en/pomthegreat
kickstarter.com/projects/787309379/neon-a-heart-racing-motion-picture
kickstarter.com/projects/1950556050/nesting-dolls-a-feature-film
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Gonna do a re-edit of a short film. A friend of mine directed it but his editor is kinda fucking up. So im gonna step in to take it over.

READ MY SCRIPT NEON BLADES AND SHIT ON IT!
help

classic

Working on a new music video. Heres the work in progress of the teaser.

vimeo.com/209642141
pass: ND

I'm an NYU grad who is currently in between jobs (of my own volition!).

My skills are in writing and editing scripts, HMU if you have any questions.

Good teaser tom

Don't shit post house.

>I'm an NYU film school graduate, sucka!
>Who the fuck are you?

swg full of fuckin manlets

don't @ me

yeah i'm trending perilously close to that end at this rate

>NYU grad
Why are you posting with us suckas?

I have an idea for a movie called Kenya Kino

Tell us more

It's about a guy in Africa who collects pictures of a manlet director

Been a PA/AC for going on 4 years now. I hate this industry and I hate blue pilled leftists. The jews own everyone and gatekeepers fuck you into working on nothing but shitty soul crushing reality TV. Only way to get a good job is nepotism/already rich. Dont be like me Sup Forums. Go to school and get a degree in electrical engineering.

What was your graduation project? Or post it better yet.

How would you get started if you were already rich?

I really ike this.

I'm going to shoot a kino with my iPhone

Shooting on iPhone is the 8mm of our time. Best of luck, user.

Rip user.

I did my undergrad at NYU film (Kantar school of TV and film or wtv). There is no graduate requirement, I worked on a documentary on motorcycle racers and it was shit so I never edited it together.

The other big project I did was write a full script and treatment for a TV drama based on the back-office workings of a professional sports team.

Currently studying film at Auckland University in New Zealand. The only thing I'm gutted about is how anal they are about equipment. I want to shoot a documentary, and instead of shooting it on my DSLR with a shitty kit lens, I'd love to borow one of the many 4k Nikons they have and some radio mics, but you can't get gear out unless you have a project due.

Why the fuck am I paying for this? I could have gone to the university 2 minutes down the road and gained access to Blackmagics and other equipment whenever I want, according to a mate who went there.

It's because they probably dont want you to get obsessed with thinking that gear=quality.

They usually do that. Also because they know that alot of students think that their current project will be their magnum opus, instead of treating it like a learning progress.

Also sometimes students dish out all their savings for gear and it turns into shit because they just arent ready yet.

But mainly. Its to make sure the learning process isnt clouded by a more money/more gear. You are not paying for gear. You are paying for the experience and knowledge, its all there but you need to be willing to suck it in.

Got a demoreel or some past stuff to show?

It's not about equipment. You really have to get that into your head.

Focus on your project, especially pre-production and demonstrate your ability to produce something with minimal budget and gear.

filmschoolrejects.com/watch-the-3-best-roman-polanski-short-films-from-the-1950s-685530e38c17

Two men and a wardrobe is genius.

And he shot it all without sound, without colour, on boring lenses, on fkn reject film stock.

>Got a demoreel or some past stuff to show?
Not at all. Out side of academics and helping produce other projects, I wasted my time there and deeply regret it. I went on to do a masters in business and interned a LOT on different shows and companies, so that's nice. I guess.

I'm working to cut up some drone stuff today actually but I hate editing and have to really shake off the rust on that.

Well time to get your portfolio going then. Build it back up. What age are you?

Anyways, Post some work boiis or stills.

youtu.be/hlmmh-bRjB8

pls

youtube.com/watch?v=0H3eeQJJEqo

youtube.com/watch?v=BQFJhir42a0

Should clarify that I'm not a gear fag, but in the case of a short documentary, you're goddamn right I'll be concerned about sound and video equipment. Do it right, or don't do it at all. I've done a lot of videography work with my DSLR, and it's done well for the plebs who hire me, but yeah, I'll shoot a short on lesser equipment, but sound is so important, it makes or breaks your film/work

You can use a wired mic.

Yeah I agree, I just don't have anything bar the DSLR + Kit lens. I'm just lamenting the fact that the uni down the road lets their student use their gear, while the uni I'm at doesn't. I'm not expecting a free-for-all, but it would be nice to allow students access if they have something they are wanting to do. Even just getting a lappel (sp?) mic is a bitch.

Make a special case, be political, proactive. Hustle.

I'm taking documentary next semester so I'm just going to keep shooting my photography (I'm teetering on heading towards DP work), and writing. I'm motivated for once to finish some scripts.

When I started writing, I just grabbed a blank page and tried to write features. Now I've scaled back to short films, 10-30 pages, with smaller ideas that are in contained settings and mostly play with actors and dialogue. Something which I could produce for peanuts, with a shit camera and some good sound. I'm feeling a lot more optimistic because of this. I don't know why I'm saying this, perhaps to reassure myself lol

Fuck that, I'm in Hamilton at uni and I'm allowed to get equipment whenever I want. I filmed a promotional video for a strings quartet a couple weeks for the music & video department, and I was allowed to use my own DSLR and lenses to shoot however I wanted. Sounds like you made a mistake going to Auckland senpai, hope things get better for you.

The biggest issue is the gear guy at the school is the most miserable cunt. To the point where the lecturers and tutors dislike him. He's like r9k personified. We butted heads when he claimed I didn't return gear a few years ago, when I did.

Fuckin' up the Tron boiss cheee hooo. Played a gig there years ago and it got so messy. Some serious huas down there bro.

Obviously sound is important. But you mainly mentioned lenses and body. Anyways good sound comes with 30 euros a day when using budget renting. Anyways the key is that you are not paying tuition for gear and being limited allows to learn and grow better. Thats why they do it.

>
I like it alot. I even laughed through out. As always though, it's to long. The shorter you can make this the better. This would be perfect at like 3 mins.

I also feels a bit empty without sound. No words are needed your intentions are clear but a layer of sound could remove the vacuum I sometimes feel.

The acting is sometimes a bit grotesque. This might have been a deliberate directing choice that goes hand in hand with why there is no sound. Maybe you are emulating silent film (thats why the acting is almost ridiculous at times) I'm not sure what your intentions were.

Anyways a funny short story with a lot of layers about perception and desires. I like it alot. Try to get it at a sweet 3 mins and it would be great.

Come hang out at the skype some time.

I dont really care for this aesthetic. Retro shit with animal masks (why is everyone copying that videogame, you are like the 6th person that does animal masks).
Anyways ignore my rambling about the aesthetic because it clearly isnt meant for me. Anyways I feel like I'm missing some content in the teasers. Where might the stories go, what are the situations. What is the key dillema or conflict. They feel a bit empty now. You might wanna tease some of the central story in the next one. Nothing hooks people like seeing something at stake or the idea there is a story they just must see.

interesting and I'm inclined to agree. Perhaps I'll rent sound and just shoot on my DSLR. Maybe get a portfolio going finally

Jesus I say 'anyways' alot...

Anyways, tell a good story. You wont impress people with a slightly better lens or body. Its all going on a 5 bit compressed youtube channel.

I've had my camera man use 70.000 and even 200.000k lenses. None of it was very impressing. Tell a good story thats what counts.

But def do not skimp on sound. Get someone to do the sound. So you've got a clear head to focus on what is important.

I'm the nyufag. Thanks for your thoughts user.

Have some Ritalin and some scripts to write. Do i do it bros?

no

Im not sure who the nyufag was. The one from the post impressions?

Anyways im gonna lock the edit for this new music video in an hour. Then off to color grading.

does anyone here ever get on to kickstarter to support films ? is that a worthwhile avenue to exploit ?

Ive been there. I would say its something to exploit. More than likely it exploits you, because its like a fulltime job.

how do you mean ? im just looking on the website now and there looks like theres a lot of movies trying to get made. how many of them actually get made ? why do you say its a fulltime job ?

"Videographer" here.

The secret is to not rely on the classical film career track. I know only two or three people around my age (26-28) who have been able to get their way into it with some reliability, but the majority of working professionals I know are television editors, commercial directors, non-union DPs (commercial, corporate), corporate videgraphers, or any blend of those. Movies are thankless endeavors, and the pay is too unreliable for far too long. Do I occasionally try to AC on something? Sure, but my day job as an editor is far more stable, and still rewarding enough to stick with this overall field.

I keep trying to tell people, now is the best time to be in post production, as television, commercials, and especially web videos, are huge.

Well I used cinecrowd. Which is specific for film and crowdfunding. I do not know how many fail and how many succeed.

It's a fulltime job in the sense that you should expect to spend at least 4 full days a week on it. Write a campaigne program. Write out all the documents from directors vision to synopsis. Make promotional material like posters (you probably dont even have an actor at that point). Youve got do constantly put out new material to keep the hype up. So you are putting atleast a facebook post out a day. (introducing your crew is a nice 10 day plan. A crew member a day with a bio).

Worst of all it falls completely dead after like the first 4 days. The first 4 days is what they call the inner circle. Family, friends, etc. These will be most of your money. If you've got a nice goodwill factor.

But after those four days you'll need to go to the outer world. Companies, sponsors, strangers. People dont really sit on crowdfunding pages looking to throw money away. If you think crowdfunding sites are a platform to get moneyed people to donate, you are extremely mistaken. You need to bring people to the website with your project. You will need to talk to papers, blogs, anything to write a story about your crowdfunding.

The final sprint is last few days where its sink or swim. Thats usually where you get the random donations in. But only if its on like 70%. If the chance of it succeeding is low then people wont donate. But ive its an end sprint where people can be the difference between making it or not then thats the moment you will see donations from randoms.

You can't just make a page and then sit back and watch the money roll in. If you think its some easy scam, you might be mistaken. Ive seen alot of really great projects, with quality material hardly make it even with a lowsy 10k target.

yeah it helps.

post-impressions is the nyufag, who is me.

Are you still editting it down? I saw it was locked so I wasnt sure if this was still in post production.

currently in my final term of film school in Canada. Gotta lock down an internship soon or I have to do a capstone project all summer for marks. Here's a short film I did for my final project last year. Would love some feedback.

youtube.com/watch?v=Op1UeV29u9k

I make most of my money with editing work as well.

It feels like a music video. First off, because the music is so overpowering everything else and there is almost no diegetic sound. It also doesnt help that the shots are to smooth (this sounds like a weird one, but every shot moves and slides so smoothly it gives a distracting commercial like vibe that does not work with the tone)

These main elements come together in what my main issue is; It's not thrilling and there is no tension. The music is so overpowering it blocks me from entering the world. Since im not in the world I don't feel tense and nothing thrills.

The shots all move smoothly through space and it gives it a very nice cinematic/commercial like look. (Kudos on that, but making things pretty doesnt always work), The shots seem to be screaming for my attention. You don't want that because you want me to place myself in the world. Ultimately it fails to do what it should do; drag me in, thrill me and build tension. And its because of these two main elements.

There is my feedback. Altho this isnt real feedback since I assume you are not making changes to this. So its more like talking to a brickwall. Feedback is about making loops.

AAAAALRIIIIIGHT. I just shot a short movie where the crew was pretty much ALL GIRLS. I was the only guy ( I was script supervisor ).

Here's my advice if you want to work on a project full of girls :

Do. Not.
Don't.
Go away. As far as you can.

Useless drama everywhere, slowing down the production. One of the set designers/make-up department girl was TAKING SELFIES FOR INSTAGRAM when we needed her.
The fucking camera assistant felt "left out" because, I quote her : "I wanted to be involved in the creative process and rewrite some dialogues". We told her it's not her job and she wasn't hired for that. Se said that we didn't have to judge her and her creative ambitions, you know, stuff that only vajayjay's can talk about.

Never again.

What are some good scripts to read?

Neon Blades.

I really appreciate that. It's good advice for future projects. The film I'm making now has some dialogue (i try to write little dialogue cuz I think I'm rather bad at it) and it will have sound design through out. Hopefully to immerse people further. But I totally understand what you mean. Thank you for the advice, it's rare to actually get a good critique on Sup Forums. I'll definitely consider what you said about the camera work for future stuff too. I do love the floaty shots on a shoulder rig but I can defiantly see why it's not appropriate for all situations.
btw here's the trailer for my new film.
youtube.com/watch?v=zJzxk03NRmM

What's that? I can't find anything

Teaser looks nice. But then again your other stuff looked nice as well, just didnt get the right effect.

I looked at some of your other stuff aswell. And they all had the same issue. They feel like music videos, but their not so they get stuck in some weird hell hole where they feel like demoreels or commercials.

Keep it in mind for the next film. It's not just about having characters speak. But its about making the world feel real. And thats sadly the problem with non-diegetic music, they take you out. But they can also enhance a feeling. Make sure your next story doesnt get drowned in style, give it some substance.

Join the skype when you got a raw edit. I'll give you some feedback on that. I'm there most of the time.

i look to make a movie with my phone but not so for sure about how to record sound protper

>dream of making films
>tfw 27 and can't even motivate myself to write or teach myself filmmaking

Forever a dreamer, good luck bros!

Oh it's a great flick about these cool as fuck samurai who go about purging villages of the undead.

What's the Skype? I could show you the rough cut

I want to make a horror movie based on Sweden.

A white family (father, mother, 10 yo daughter) watch their neighbour change and get more dangerous as more aggressive refugees get in. There is harassment that slowly decends into violence. They soon realize they are locked inside their own house, the police does nothing for fear of being accused of racism and of course the media doesnt report it.

Movie ends with father in prison for killing a refugee that raped his daughter. The daughter gets raped days later again and killed. The mother commits suicide. There is a tv zapping scene, where none of the news shows cover the event, in fact everyone seems happy on tv and celebrating refugees.

The issue is

1. I dont have money to travel to sweden. In fact, I dont have money at all.
2. I dont know their language and I believe it will lose impact without it

Sounds fucking retarded. Can I get some actual screenplay recs?

Its in the OP.

I dont think phones are proper camera's. BUT as long as it will get you to start then fine.

Look at a local budget equipment rental. You can usually get a boom and zoom for under 30 a day. That will be all you need. But get someone to operate the boom properly.

The zoom does the recording and data and you line the boom in. Very amateur friendly way of doing it. Make sure to clap for syncing up the sound later.

Matrix is a hell of a script. especially with the visual descriptions

Thats a big wave.

I should read that one. Writting visuals can be very difficult.

This actually gave me idea to write something else than Neon Blades 2. Thanks!

What is this meme?

Secrit club for cool cats.

Password Timsahackfraud

Americans are waking up. Post some shit nigga's

Post your favorite scene from Neon Blades.

My favourite scene was when Daves dad died to a samurai zombie, who then turns into a zombie himself, dave then decapitates Dave Dad Zombie and splits him down the middle with his sword. Dave is then nearly overrun by samurai zombies but manages to escape by switching the lights on in his Neon Blade making it cut through anything like a lightsaber.

This sounds cool as fuck desu.

Can somebody just post the script?

Anyone making a living on this shit?

Depends how hard you try and whether you're able to chow down and work on what you love.

I'm getting payed on it. But it's not the free passion projects, I do those for free.

But corporate commercial stuff I can do enough for living. Usually 3 days a week.

Bump

Just make sure you have good sound. check

Come post some stuff.

bump

I actually find this quite interesting. I never had any idea that smaller film projects were being supported through online crowdfunding, I always thought it was for like low level celebrities to make personal shit that wouldn't otherwise be made like Zach Braff and Kristen Bell with her Veronica Mars movie.

It seems that there's quite a huge variety of much smaller projects that are getting funded though, so according to you that's essentially due to their friends and family or immediate social circle?

But then how do you explain projects like these ones..

>Blood Machines
>kickstarter.com/projects/2050134024/blood-machines-turbo-killer-2

>Pom the Great
>cinecrowd.com/en/pomthegreat

That have above average budgets and still get funded?

Is it a community thing ie you have to spend time donating to other projects in order to pay dividends to yourself in the future? Is there a good gauge to measure how a project is doing? Kickstarter seems to provide the most information on it, but still I feel like you would need months of research in order to successfully run a campaign through one of these platforms? It also doesn't really seem that viable an option for younger filmmakers (under the age of 30)... it is extremely intriguing to me though.

These ones are currently live and look like they're made by kind of younger crews.

>Neon
>kickstarter.com/projects/787309379/neon-a-heart-racing-motion-picture

>Nesting Dolls
>kickstarter.com/projects/1950556050/nesting-dolls-a-feature-film

Sorry to ramble so much. I just legitimately have never considered using this as a means to make money and then make movies.

>t. struggling pleb filmmaker

Well I got nothign out of my inner circle since I didnt have close family. And I made it through a large donation from a certain person I'm not gonna mention.

But all im saying is that crowdfunding isnt some lean back in your chair mechanic to get free money. I assume these projects did alot to woe people and spoke to some companies and got it through that.

Also I know of a project where a dude got 4k from an uncle. So theres always that.

Just remember that its a lot of work. And not free money.

also let me quickly add that 15k is not above average. Our government funded projects do a 80.000 minimum for a 10 min short.

Do you have to support other films on the same platform as you?

No. you just create your own community. But its alot of marketing. Every film has their own hook. And the own communities and companies you can adress.

All I'm saying is that its a lot of work. Get a crew together so the pool of the inner circle grows and more goodwill factor is created. Make sure there is a social theme in the film so you can address funds and companies for funding. Tell them how imporant your film is.

Most importantly have you and your crew make promotional material. Teasers, behind the scenes, Anything so you can keep spamming.

Anyways I gotta rush to bed. Hope the thread is still up this morning. If not try the skype in the OP. Ill be there and you can speak to me there. Peace

Yeah I will. Thanks and night.

bump