Your Name

Has Studio Ghibli finally been surpassed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9P883TzxWuQ&vl=en
youtu.be/ErkW_c9VdXA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

KEK

Yes

BD when?

Anime always makes japan look borderline tropical

all anime is trash no exceptions

/thread

No but it's a better story than ghibli has produced for quite some time

someone post it

Ghibli isn't the final boss anyway.

I liked it a lot more than I anticipated. But if you want a true successor/competitor to Ghibli, check out the guy whose movie debut was the Digimon movie. He has four movies all of which are phenomenal.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Summer Wars
Wold Children
The Boy and the Beast

You're welcome.

This is reddit. This is memes.

The story was fucking garbage. Scenes looked gorgeous. The characters were kind of boring and devoid of personality. Some of the music was really good. I got a little choked up at the end.

5/10

It already has

>Wold Children
unapologetic typo kek

I like how it undermines the pushy and pretentious tone you tried to establish with your post and how you think most people who actually care about anime movies haven't heard of or seen most of/all those movies already

das rite

This girl looks like digimonAre you guys talking about the same guy i ponder

For me his pretentiousness didn't shine until "you're welcome". Then he just turned into a complete asswipe.

I found summer was to be a little average
girl who lept through time and wolf children were both great
haven't seen his new one but I heard it flopped pretty hard

did not think it would live up to all that hype.

fuck it's good.

>OP has never done the KON

Why not post the superior film?

>taki didnt fap while he was a girl
Immersion ruined

I guess I'm someone who doesn't "genuinely care about anime films." Sorry I guess. I still think his movies are great.

Flopped commercially or critically? I think Wolf Children was his best overall, but I still really enjoyed Boy and the Beast. He has a new one that's supposed to be out in 2018, but I haven't seen or heard anything about besides a vague release date.

I legitimately can't tell if you're joking but if you're not, no Lain is not from Digimon and no they are not talking about the same people.

commercially, I think it got decent reviews

He most likely did

Can satoshi kon films really be considered anime though?

What makes them not anime?

anime is just animation so yes they are
anime it'self is not a genre like you might want it to be

are you retarded?

it's japanimation

XD

It was more the fact of your holier than thou recommendation of movies that people are pretty familiar with already. Also no where did I say I don't like Hosodas movies

>w-what about this one guys?

is there a fucking hd version of this shit online and translated yet?

no, the best is like 540p upscaled to 720 that some retard encoded in 60fps
bluray is out in september because burgers cinemas are getting it so late

mah nigga
Unfortunately, anime has gone way downhill and there is a stigma to them now. It is all about fanservice and fucking tropes we seen a billion times. You don't see any complex characters anymore. Just go to Sup Forums and you can see the cancer first hand.

I just like to think the the 90s and some of the 2000s were the better days. That or I am just old as fuck.

nah it wasn't all that much better if you find the old currently airing charts you can see for yourself
films were more original though

"Holier than thou."

What the fuck? I said I liked his movies and figured they were a suitable successor to Ghibli. My bad if "you're welcome" causes your faggot thin skinned self to get ancy.

October.

>successor to ghibli
I like it but, no.
youtube.com/watch?v=9P883TzxWuQ&vl=en

Unironically yes, this one film has surpassed all of Ghibli's works.

I will say though it is actually a step forward for anime in general. It was a very well animated movie with little to no fanservice. More anime movies with the same level of quality would be welcome.

>It is all about fanservice and fucking tropes we seen a billion times.

Has this ever not been the case?
youtu.be/ErkW_c9VdXA

>It was a very well animated movie with little to no fanservice.

Fanservice isn't ruining anime. It's compensating for bad anime.

Literally 90% of people who whine endlessly about how old anime was better are just nostalgic and barely watched any of the shows at the time.

I can understand people who genuinely compare old and new shows and point out the flaws but when people just go "bawww fanservice bawww moe" it's redundant.

That's what I kinda meant, it had no fanservice because it didn't need to compensate for anything.

Is he ever gonna live up to the expectations he set for himself? Something like this is gonna be difficult to followup.

If you mean the creator of Your Name he hasn't got a fucking chance to make a successful follow up.

He himself was baffled how Your Name was popular

Sword of the Stranger is a must watch for all anime or action movie fans in general. The action is so well animated...

>dat final fight...
>dat fight detail
>dat music
>dat badass blonde white boy samurai
>dat dog
>dat music
>dat music

I challenge any of you fags to come with a better anime samurai flick than this... The usual suspects like Samurai X and that one old 90s movie with all the tits are no good. Well Sam X is alright but it desn't stack up to SotS...

srsly, I hope you do because I badly want to watch something else as good as that movie.

He might never produce something as successful. But he's definitely a brand name now. As long as what he doesn't isn't garbage, he should be able to float along off good will alone. An auteur, if you subscribe to that theory.

I actually watched sword of the stranger at an anime convention back when my buddy drags us to one in Seattle. I wasn't expecting much, but it had me hooked. Really great film.

Anime convention?

I go to one in Sydney every August, it baffles me how literally every second attendee at the ones in Aus are cute asian grills cosplaying.

>Anime always makes japan look borderline tropical

It IS borderline tropical. Most of Japan is around the same latitude as the southern US states and has similar weather. Hot summers and mild winters.

I wasn't, thank you

>the creator of Your Name
Wasn't it a novel first?

he's already working no another project but don't expect it to live up to your name i guess
he wrote the novel along side the movie and it's basically the screenplay with a little more exposition, it's not like it's adapted from the novel like you would expect

>"I love you"

I could feel everyone in the theater's heart break. I cried.