Did literally everyone in the US see Gone With the Wind?

Did literally everyone in the US see Gone With the Wind?

The dollar went a lot further back then. And yes, it was a massively popular book first, so it makes sense that it would become a massively popular movie.

It's adjusted for inflation

So ticket prices have gotten cheaper?

>take 1929 grossing
>adjust it for 2014 dollars
That's all they did

damn the last airbender movie made that much?
based shamylan

But it sold more tickets granted it stayed in theaters for longer but still

It barely had competition and was in theaters for 7 years plus re-releases.

It's a bad comparison because home vidoe didn't exist so movies stayed in theaters fucking forever back then. Imagine what your typical modern movie would make if it sat in theaters for 3 years and you couldn't see it ANYWHERE else.

Movies were different back then. It was one of the sole means of entertainment. It was normal to go to the theater to see a movie multiple times.

It's more expensive nowadays and you also have a vast array of cheap, quality entertainment available through gaming, drugs, television, Netflix, the Internet in general and so on.

Fewer movies, less competition, massive massive big budget release. Probably damn near everyone did yeah.

based Avatar

>From December 1939 to July 1940, the film played only advance-ticket road show engagements at a limited number of theaters at prices upwards of $1—more than double the price of a regular first-run feature

Not to mention it literally got driven around as a road show to places that didn't have theaters meaning people who wouldn't have normally seen it got to see it

Exactly. This means that either 1929 tickets cost a LOT more than today's tickets comparatively or GWTW sold a ton more tickets than any other movie.

Have you seen other movies from 1939, Gone With the Wind was a technological marvel of it's day. If you watch it, it basically holds up with fairly modern production values. Other movies of it's day seem incredibly low budget and filmed with way more primitive equipment by comparison.

Not to mention, it was a very fantastic movie with a story that still compelling today. I'd venture to say you can't find anything that old that holds up as well.

>I'd venture to say you can't find anything that old that holds up as well

Double Indemnity?

According to boxoffice mojo the average movie ticket cost in 1929 was $0.35 which is $4.99 in today's dollars. You also have to remember that GWTW has been re-released in theaters plenty of times and that it's initially run was kept in theaters far longer than movies are today.

It was released from december 1939 to july 1940 then re-released in 1941, 42, 47, 54, 61, 67, 71, 77, 84, 89, 1998 and 2014.

This.

People forget that home video wasn't really a thing until the 80s (and even then, not really affordable to the average person until late 80s).

If you wanted to see a movie, you had to see it in a theater. There were whole movie theaters that just showed second run, years old movies because people wanted to see them again.

>People still don't understand why so many folks went to go see Gone With The Wind

ALRIGHT. HISTORY LESSON.

GWTW is nearly four hours long, and the cost of admittance was extremely low. People will quickly ask if folks constantly saw the movie because of the Depression, or because of limited entertainment venues, or because of whatever other meme they have heard when in fact this is all wrong.

Do you want to know why so many people went to go see Gone With the Wind? Well, I've already more or less told you, but I want you to think about your last movie going experience. Or really most of them. What's the one thing all women who go to the theaters will complain about? "It's so cold, I need to bring a sweater."

The first place that modern (semi-modern) air conditioning was employed was in movie theaters. Now imagine it's the Great Depression. You and your family are being crippled by the shitty weather that occurs practically round the clock in most major population centers.

Then a movie comes out. It isn't a bad movie by any means, but it is a long movie. Quite literally almost 4 hours long. Four hours of being able to relax in the cool theater air, to just hide from the shitty weather until the sun goes down and you and your shitty family can go home.

Yes, the real reason why GWTW did so well was because of the heat, the A/C, and the cheap price of entry to just relax for four hours.

A/C wasn't even an invention at that time, it came about shortly before WW2

The first theater to have Air Conditioning was in 1925, neck yourself.

do you even have reading comprehension? Is it a faculty you possess?

AC wasn't put in theaters until the 70s you fuck

Gone with the Wind came out in '39, the first A/C install at a theater was in '25. Yet you claim it wasn't even invented by '39. Again, I repeat, neck yourself.

Shortly before WW2, as I said.

Over 60% of Americans went to the movies WEEKLY during this time period. Yeah, everyone saw Gone With the Wind, and a lot saw it more than once.

Yes. I would wager that most people saw it more than once. For a movie that came out in 1939, Gone With the Wind is a marvel. It feels like someone time traveled from the 70's to make that movie. It still holds up today. I really can't stress enough just how amazing the movie is for something that came out in 1939.

Also it was marketed to hell.

>Shortly before WW2

14 years isn't shortly

Shows how naive and chronologically ignorant you are

No, as you said

>A/C wasn't even an invention at that time

It was an invention at that time and had been for over a decade.

>*1939

fify

This

>4 fucking hours

Just how?

A quick Google search tells you that AC was invented in 1902 and that it was put into theatres in 1925 go fuck yourselves you know-nothing memesters

It would be even worse if you adjusted for ticket prices too, and size of the worldwide population along with greater worldwide distribution.