Is there a better swordfight than the climactic one in The Mark of Zorro...

Is there a better swordfight than the climactic one in The Mark of Zorro? Tyrone Power and Basil Rathbone were actual master fencers and it shows. It makes all the Errol Flynn swordfights look like two kids playing with sticks.

youtube.com/watch?v=nB8tiSMCwRE

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=-wStCRCVwFo
youtube.com/watch?v=YhCHw0Ovqf4&t=58s&ab_channel=MonkeyKing
youtube.com/watch?v=27M5KWI_q50
youtube.com/watch?v=NQ62frK74u0
youtube.com/watch?v=WDlZ_SXx5gA
youtube.com/watch?v=YOVaEMs0HL8
youtube.com/watch?v=0waVOnG-PEw
youtube.com/watch?v=Cn36Pb8z3yI
youtube.com/watch?v=4GoQlvc_H3s
youtube.com/watch?v=9yHQOYG8dfc
youtube.com/watch?v=hTFEq_DUZfs
youtube.com/watch?v=dDj5UPZNzsU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Checked, that one is pretty good, haven't seen this before

bumping with my fave from Fearless (2006)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=-wStCRCVwFo

>90% of the swings they just check each other's sword in the air
>best sword fight
are you serious?

>clearly is wearing a saber
>unsheathes a rapier

kek.

When did Tyrone become a stereotypical black guy's name?

Not only is the fighting great, but the build up before is fantastic too.
>are you serious?
name a better one

Mark of Zorro has the better sword duel but The Adventures of Robin Hood is the all-round better swashbuckling movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=YhCHw0Ovqf4&t=58s&ab_channel=MonkeyKing

The choreography is impressive, but I'm having a a hard time buying that a dude who basically got stabbed by a needle in the kidneys dies immediately.

It's a common thing in these types of movies. If someone gets stabbed anywhere in the torso or the belly, they keel over near instantly.

Kind of like how in 70's Kung Fu movies if the opponent starts bleeding a little bit from the mouth, he's just another blow or so from being done for.

I think the best swordfights on film were from the Musketeers films by Richard Lester.

Chinkwire need not apply to this thread.

I've been meaning to watch those but the whole goofy slapstick tone they seem to have kinda puts me off of it.

errol flynn robin hood had that classic swordfight with the shadows and shit

>wire fu

GTFO

Has Sup Forums forgot about Rob Roy already? God damn this was so satisfying. Tim Roth makes for a fantastic villain.

*tips spaniard fedora*

mi dama

The Sea Hawk has a pretty good duel that would've been better if the guy opposite of Flynn (Henry Daniell) wasn't utterly hopeless in even pulling off movie fencing. They used darker lighting and a stunt double (who was actually the fight choreographer of the movie) and only used Daniell in the closeups.

They redo the iconic shadow moment when the fight reaches it's climax in the very throneroom of Queen Elizabeth.

youtube.com/watch?v=27M5KWI_q50

forgot the vid like a dumb ass.

might as well post hector vs achilles as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=NQ62frK74u0

Most of the silliness comes from Constance being an airhead, and D'Artagnan being a young idealist always trying to please everyone. There is a little bit of slapstick but it isn't that prominent.

troy scene falls way short. too many edits, hardly any long scenes.

Came here to post this. This is unironically the best sword fight and probably one of the best fights to be ever put on film. It's so fucking good it hurts.

youtube.com/watch?v=WDlZ_SXx5gA

Rob Roy is a classic. Beautifully shot in a beautiful setting. Comfy feels sleeping in your own cloak on the highlands, waking up and killing some rustlers, going home to fuck the wife with a view over the loch. Fucking Tim Roth is beyond incredible. Quigon Jin being stoic as all hell. Brian Cox fingering chamber maids and then sticking his slimy finger in Roth's nose. This movie is amazing and only gets better as time goes on and we prove more and more incapable of making halfway decent movies anymore.

That's pretty good.

However, if you think the fighting in this is great you have no room to talk shit about the Star Wars prequel duels. Also

>I needed that scratch to awaken me

Kind of a gay line desu

youtube.com/watch?v=YOVaEMs0HL8

You know the sword fight is garbage when you only see both combatants on screen at the same time for only 3 seconds. Whoever shot that should be shot.

The whole movie itself builds up the final duel masterfully. The way Basil Rathbone is almost constantly fondling and swiping his sword at thin air in every scene he's in, it's like he's a caged beast just waiting for the slightest reason to put his sword through someone.

I wish we could've been a movie where Rathbone actually won a duel. He was a magnetically charismatic actor.

why can't there be movies like these anymore? they wouldn't even cost that much, you don't need any computer graphics other than photoshopping a few highways and stripmalls out of the scenery. all I ask for is a serious movie about some moody dudes fighting with swords and black powder. it doesn't need dragons or ghost pirates or time travelers or any kiddie shit like that. fuck!

its not the greatest swordfight, but its a top-tier film. plenty of other fun duels in the movie, all of them decent.

"lah!"

good taste

>Is there a better swordfight than the climactic one in The Mark of Zorro?

You haven't seen "The Duellists" or Lester's two Musketeer films from the 70s have you?

Do yourself a favor and rent them.

The third duel where we only see the last part of it with Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine being bloodied and exhausted is objectively the best.

Yeah, I've seen The Duellists and I intend on seeing Lester's Musketeers shortly.

youtube.com/watch?v=0waVOnG-PEw

I really like this scene

Great foley art, particularly in the armor movement.

that was a very exciting fight OP

I haven't seen this film, but I might give it a watch. This kind of thing is refreshing to watch with all the CGI Marvel nonsense that gets shit out in this day and age. You forget what a simple and well choreographed fight scene looks like

Because it's not flashy enough. Kids these days need bullet-time and wire-fu bullshit, thats why we get shit like that recent Three Musketeers with the steampunk machine gun bullet-time scenes and shit. Movie producers are fucking retarded.

Pretty much this. American kids are fucking stupid.

t. an American.

>movie producers are stupid

Not necessarily. They just want to make the most money possible. It's the audiences that are stupid.

>just flies away at the end

Gotta disagree with you man. Brad Pitt is a fucking machine in Troy, and his choreography alone elevates the material.

Not from a movie per-se, but modern movies need to incorporate historical fighting techniques now that we've rediscovered a good chunk of them.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cn36Pb8z3yI

And this one is cool too. Skip to 2:00

youtube.com/watch?v=4GoQlvc_H3s

>white guy named Tyrone

Well that's something you don't see often

>sword fight
>it lasts for LITERALLY minutes

This shit is so cringe. Read any historical accounting of actual sword fights and the vast majority are done in half a dozen tempo

Tsui Hark's The Blade, obviously not aiming to depict realistic fencing but quite the opposite, instead constantly using cinematic techniques to creative a sense of pure fury and chaos, as silly as some of it can be, this is the kind of climatic and iconic set piece that Hollywood is unable to produce.

youtube.com/watch?v=9yHQOYG8dfc

He's the movie star that inspired so many nigs to name their sons Tyrone.

>LARPer faggot bumping thread with faggotry
Good job.

That is excellent. well done OP for sharing!

It's one of the more believable ones. Here's another:
youtube.com/watch?v=hTFEq_DUZfs
Most fencing bouts, like most actual sword fights, are over in three seconds or less. Doesn't make for very good film, so they always have to jazz it up and drag it out in some way.

OP is a good show of a couple of guys who know the moves in fencing as a sport, but not believable as a fight. They're using fencing sabers, not swords, for instance.

Man Jet Li really makes the most kino Kung Fu movies.

youtube.com/watch?v=dDj5UPZNzsU

Not as cool, but breddy good.

The movie is Deluge (Potop) 1974

It's almost like it's a movie for entertaining people and not real life.

prisoner of zenda

>a movie for entertaining [retards]

Fixed that for you.

It looks as stupid as chick "badasses" beating up dudes.