Red Letter Media

What sets them apart from all their contemporaries?

Why does everyone try to emulate them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fo4LOs8cQsk
youtu.be/-rfPpwEg4CQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because they fear Mike after he brainwashed the world into hating the Prequels. Mike is the only reason they get any criticism.

I'm still astonished that he time traveled back to 1999 and showed everyone his video and spread the hate.

Relentless logic, authenticity and fairly witty.

Why do people try to emulate them? It's a fairly simple premise on paper which fools shallow husks in to thinking they can copy their style.

better memes

Because it's undemanding, bottom-of-the-barrel work.

RLM are the living embodiment of the smug, detached Gen-X ethos.

I'd venture to guess none of them has felt a single sincere conviction about anything since childhood. They exist as polyps upon the colon of culture, satiating themselves on the perceived failures of others (i.e. "The Man") while adding nothing new to the discourse aside from ironic complaint.

They're a group of insecure, lost, rapidly aging burnouts who silently believe they could do a better job of making films than the professionals in the industry. Yet they lack the ambition and ability to actually enter the very industry they're obsessed with. They choose instead to fuck around and make student film piss-takes well into middle age.

They are awful, awful people. I've met thousands just like them, and the last thing we need is for these people to gain any attention for their navel gazing.

Please, Sup Forums, do not aspire to become anything like these people. Theirs is a lonely road leading to depression and a life devoid of real purpose.

I hope they disappear and their disaffected followers stop subsidizing their lifestyle. Perhaps that would force them to do something productive with themselves.

lol i paste text

Is he the worst offender?

who is it

The ability to film their content in a way that doesn't look like shit. Almost everyone else, especially back when RLM were just starting, was just one dude staring directly into a shitty webcam in a poorly lit room.

>he didn't get Stuckmannized

The Plinkett videos launched their popularity, and they were able to capitalize on it with a pretty amusing review show with some half decent production values that kept people around. If they only did Half in the Bag from the start it probably would have ended by now from no one watching, but they were able to ride the wave of resentment for the Star Wars prequels to what they have now. They did the work when the timing was good.

Anything Mike says is actually funny even when he's depressed and messes up his words. You often see how other staff genuinely try to hold their laugher.

>staff
You mean "friends" user. You know, those things that you don't have.

OOHHHH MYYYYY
GAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWDDDDD

What was so disturbing about Octopuff that they couldn't even show it on BoTW?

Are they basically the only major e celebs who aren't 20 somethings?

Jay literally says in the episode that it was boring and they have nothing to say about it.

I have freinds. They work with me on my shift at Taco Belle.

Mike, jay and rich weren't the first to do snarky reviews, but they have been feeding for their format to be a signature, which is key.
That style has also hindered them I think, they're about to break 550k subs where other dumb fanboy movie channels have 1 mil + with sponsor deals, so they actually are doing their own thing while consciously aware they could sell out and don't, which makes me like them.
Or if all the "Internet personalities" red letter media appears to be the most genuine (and best on a technical level, they know their shit and have nice gear)

I fuckin love me some fuckin youtoob n shit, fuckin friend simulators n shit ey

>1 mil
convince me that these channels are not botted

8 tentacles, user

>Almost everyone else, especially back when RLM were just starting, was just one dude staring directly into a shitty webcam in a poorly lit room.
No they did more than that, but it just wasn't funny.
Plinkett had a storyline that made sense and was funny, the interruptions to the view were well shot.

The only correct answer is AIDS AND 9/11.

Because they're actually funny

jay is a pretty hot girl if you completely replace him with someone else

more boring than an insurance company ice dam removal video?

Has anyone ever refuted this?

>Monty Python
>George Carlin

Never. It's air-tight.

Air. Fucking. Tight.

77's of truth

What happened with Jessi? Did Jay actually fuck her or was that a Sup Forums maymay?

jay can't maintain an erection unless a mike shaped BEAST is behind him

>Mike walks into a Film 101 class that he was invited to talk at
>Starts taking questions
>White guy with a RLM shirt asks which Italian neorealist director Mike likes best, "I personally like the films of Roberto Rossellini and his influence in the subsequent French New Wave art form."
>Mike gets visibly angry
>"Listen as a white male sometimes you need to shut the fuck up and let minorities speak"
>"You back there" He points to the pitch black man on his Iphone not paying attention
>"I would love to here an opinion from a proud Nubian man like yourself."
>Black guy wipes his lips and shrugs
>"Well I dunno, I mean you think them DC movies can get good an shit?"
>Mike smiles and starts clapping
>"What a wonderful mundane but interesting question."
>He turns to the white guy from before
>"You see that question is real you pale limp dicked fuck, take you college phony film degree and fuck off with your bullshit philosophies."
>White guy starts crying and runs out
>"Finally" mike says "Maybe the rest of you fucking white males should leave as well"
>The white guys look at their teacher
>She shrugs and says "Well you are evil white men"
>They quickly leave with their heads down
>"Now that thats over with lets get down to the real fun!"
>Mike instructs the white women to take off their pants and bend over the front of their desks
>They do so happily
>"Now will all the WELL HUNG BLACK DINGUSES please show these white ladies what real men can do!"
>The Black guys start fucking the white women like theres no tomorrow
>Mike starts jerking off in one hand and filming in the other
>"We aren't stopping until every young white girl in this school is BLACK BRED"
>Mike and the BBCs rove from hall to hall seducing and impregnating white women

people tend to admire the spirituality of depressed alcoholics

It helps that they don't shove in references to Minecraft or other "nerdy" shit.

>minecraft

very cool

very cool

Whether it's true or not, they at least seem more genuine than other Youtube kinomeisters. Even their scripted shit feels more akin to the skits in MST3K where they're having fun making cheese.

Let's not talk about Space Cop though.

the constant Sup Forums shilling

>Let's not talk about Space Cop though.
Is it kino?

This, their success is more a result of timing and/or luck, and has little to do with any incredible creative spark. Essentially they're really good at deadpan nitpicking and delivering one-liners and gimmicks in a way that seems natural. At best, that's what separates them. Also, their work is fairly good at avoiding the very sanitized, slick produced look that de-legitimized most of their early competitors.

>very sanitized, slick produced look that de-legitimized most of their early competitors.
at the same time, they look more professional than everyone on Channel Awesome. they're really good at riding the line

Why did you suck
the colour out?

I like the cynicism, by and large modern films flat out suck.

There's catharsis, and delight in seeing all the soulless schlock they pick apart have its comeuppance.

>catharsis
what does this mean

They act like normal humans in front of camera.

They have a set and many cameras, and do discussion type videos instead of vlog-like videos

>Let's not talk about Space Cop though.
I'd honestly be really interested in seeing what they would put out if they made a sincere attempt to make genuine movie, instead of the half-hearted "it sucks on purpose," type stuff they put out when they're not doing comedy bits
i havent seen space cop

Pretty sure it was down to being only 9min long or something. Not much to talk about.

They aren't even funny though. They try to affect this low budget, shitty quality vibe but it just comes across as lazy and half-assed, like they couldn't be bothered to put real effort into their comedy. And it just seems like low hanging fruit to me. A way they can excuse how shitty everything in their productions looks, because "they're not really trying" and "it's supposed to be like that".

I can't even figure out the appeal of these videos. I'm only 27 but I feel like this fad is for people half my age.

Can RLM get 4K cameras so that I can count the pores on their faces?

>They try to affect this low budget, shitty quality vibe but it just comes across as lazy and half-assed, like they couldn't be bothered to put real effort into their comedy.

It's just three guys with Jack and Josh as guests running maybe two sets in a warehouse. What the fuck do you want?

>what they would put out if they made a sincere attempt to make genuine movie

The same level of garbage

The editing. They both like to edit, and it shows.

I think it's more about being cheaper to make combined with their obvious interest in corny B movies than avoiding criticism.

Fuck off grandpa, nobody cares about your decrepit old ass

They've joked about it, but they should make a Blumhouse-style low budget horror movie. They love that shit. Think of a somewhat original premise, practical effects like fake blood and gore, add some humor. I bet they would make something at least watchable, probably even good. Find a distributor, If Len Kabasinski get get his movies distributed then RLM must be able to. They might even get their money back.

I was just thinking this episode about how perfect the editing is. Everytime they edited the clown clips I cracked up

You tell me:

youtube.com/watch?v=fo4LOs8cQsk

tl;dw: They are not full of shit.

I'm pretty sure that's whatever the fuck Feeding Frenzy was, but I don't really plan to watch it any time soon

Personally I like them as friend simulation. I have no friends and things like botw really make me feel good for about an hour every 4-6 weeks.

Even though I disagree with mike, jay and especially rich pretty often they still feel sincere.

>by and large modern films flat out suck.

maybe your precious little popcorny capeshit movies you fucking embryo

Friend simulator. And they're plebs who constantly review trash films while trying to look superior/above these shitty movies. Accessible/massmarket.

Nothing sets them apart.

>I have no friends and things like botw really make me feel good for about an hour every 4-6 weeks.

very cool

very cool

youtu.be/-rfPpwEg4CQ

Yeah, you're right. Maybe a low budget horror movie isn't the best option. Too jokey and referential.

>Nothing sets them apart.

Their cynicism appeals to internet highbrows and Mike is an exceptionally likable guy.

Rich's laugh, and the fact that every week I get to as an autist pretend I have friends for three quarters of an hour.

Is the commentary track for space cop any good? I can't find a copy on the internet and was thinking of just buying the movie and shit to get it.

I just like mike's sense of humor

What is that episode of HitB where Mike and Jay stare at the camera silently for 10 minutes?

They are more mature, they started doing it when they we're older than most youtubers and also they aren't obsessed with fan culture manbaby shit.

Couple that with good production and a wicked sense of humor and you have an unstoppable youtube behemoth.

that was jack and rich in previously recorded

Disney paid Mike to say he loved Star wars 4

So is the Red Letter Media YouTube channel their day job or do they still have to work regular job

I'm pretty sure they do it full time and they are largely supported by their patron

the youtube channel? Probably not enough to pay everyone involved.

RedLetterMedia as a collective company? Enough to keep the core members afloat comfortably

I imagine the more peripheral members probably have a day job or do some other kind of stuff.

you sound like a fag

Is the only they can do is "it is meant to bad/cheap" stuff?

Don't get me wrong, I like shit like that, especially in movies, but I legitimately want to see them try their best at something.

Because they know the basics of set design and camera work. In terms of production values they're a step above the guys who film themselves in front of their bedroom wall or a pair of curtains.

I think they're scared of genuine failure after talking so much mad shit about other stuff for so long.

I think this is one of the big problems with transitioning from reviewing to making your own stuff, if you've previously made a living talking about how boring or badly directed or badly acted or w.e something is then when you make your own boring or badly directed or badly acted movie it looks foolish.

RLM would have to be absolutely sure that their "real" film was a nasterpiece before they even mentioned it existed.

Space Cop at the end of the day is an elaborate joke/satire on the state of action movies so they can hide behind that to shield themselves from more lasting criticism.

Nerd Crew sums it up really
So many people who make critic videos are mindless fan boys who don't understand what makes something bad or good. They just look for the most obvious thing, and in many cases miss the point.
It takes a cynical person with a little more life experience (i.e not under the age of 25 and not autistic) to actually make entertaining review content.

way better in black and whit elel

can someone do an edit of Space Cop where everything wrong with it is followed by a RLM member talking about the same thing

e.g. when the poor acting happens follow that with mike talking about poor acting, etc.

this

yeah a lot of humor is created in their editing, and its great, they got a real love for it

Now post that to your Facebook wall for your friends and family to see.

I bet they would be so proud of you.

It means a purging of your emotions. Having the buildup of feelings inside all hang loose.

Like when you cry after realizing you're a fat loser virgin, it makes you feel better since you were able to "let it all out". That's catharsis.

They used to film weddings.

>Review bad things on purpose and complain about it

They're just a poor mans AVGN

They don't try too hard to be funny

Hehe I thought of a funny but I'm too lazy to make it myself can someone else make a funny for me?

I'm not only lazy I'm also unskilled and lack the tools

Any one got a link to or copy of space cop with all the extras?

>RLM are
>I'd venture to guess
>none of them has felt
>They exist as polyps upon the colon of culture
>satiating themselves
>perceived failures of others
>adding nothing new to the discourse
>they could do a better job
>navel gazing
>aspire
>disaffected followers stop subsidizing
>Perhaps

top cringe

Red Letter Media is a group of nerds interested in movies. They make videos on Youtube because it's fun and they're trying raise standards of nerd culture. Their cynicism, material, and commentary work for lonely 20 year olds with a basic understanding of cultural criticism. The result is content that's better than most youtube commentators and a quality friend simulator.

Mike is an extremely likable guy, while Jay and Rich compliment him well. Watching Half in the Bag with a bowl of cereal was the highlight of my day for several months in 2015. They were there for me, shitting on the direction of entertainment with a sense of humor that suited me at the time. I love them for it.

Then there's you, the living embodiment of the smug, detached internet critic ethos

He'd be more attractive if he lost weight and acted less nerdy + more confident.

is this the future

what is real

Production value.

They're good at what they do and it shows.