For a long time, I've held the belief that human Will can affect the world around them...

For a long time, I've held the belief that human Will can affect the world around them. Some evidence lies in the Placebo effect and the fact that a person's very life depends on their will. Surely you've heard the stories where an old married couple both coincidentally die on the same day while in each other's company?
Another example would be hysterical strength, where a parent, for example, suddenly gains supernatural strength to save their child.
Now, with the first two examples, and maybe the third, that may be the human will only altering the human. But I believe that the others around them affect them. For instance, in a placebo test, they normally have large groups of people taking the placebos. Mayhaps they are all affecting each other, they all think "this pill will do this" and so logically they think "this pill will do this to the others who have taken it".
With the hysterical strength, the subject and the "victim" of whatever unfortunate circumstances are both hoping they can rescue or be rescued, and that may affect the circumstances in itself. I don't think the average person can cause an earthquake or bring back the dead, but I believe at least our will can affect the world in a minor way, and maybe it can be trained like a muscle to be more powerful.

Does anyone else feel this way or know of anyone who does?

This is my first time talking about it because I know that I'm probably insane and don't really want to face that fact yet

Attached: smartmag-featured-image-self-control-tips.jpg (702x336, 30K)

you are stronger than you think, your brain doesn't go full force so you won't hurt yourself, when you panic and have adrenaline the limit is removed and suddenly you're stronger, that's why deranged people are stronger than they look

No.

What would it matter?

>How does the ability to change the world around you matter

Attached: flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u7.jpg (750x1000, 30K)

You can do that now too though.

Let me ask it like this then; What would you do with the information?

Nothing you've said is new. Please read some more philosophy books and listen to lectures/watch some youtube content. You're on the verge of realizing the world is simultaneously larger and smaller than you think it is.

Good luck, traveler.

Don't go around making people retarded...

Record it just to start. I'm all about learning. Practical things mostly. It's what I believe and I would like to learn more about it, at least. No harm, no foul

And after you know everything?

Good question. I am really just after the pursuit of knowledge t b h, haven't thought about it. I believe I'm a genuinely good person, if I did use it for practical purposes it wouldn't be anything that harmed others. No robbing banks or have some guy forget his briefcase full of money on the park bench as I'm walking by.
I would use it to help people, honestly. Even if that does make me sound like the moralfag that everyone hates. My father is addicted to nicotine, if I had the ability I would like to make his cravings less intense or make the withdrawals less severe so he stood a better chance of dropping it. The key to ending an addiction is willpower, after all. I would certainly use it to improve myself if I had amazing willpower. Help me lose weight and stay dedicated to my objectives, though I dont think you need to tap into esoteric knowledge to do that. It's hard to do anything else, now that I think about it, because many things would be screwing over someone else. If I wanted a promotion, I wouldn't use any "abilities" to force my boss to want to choose me, I'd rely on my merits.

But yeah, I just wanted to learn, really.

I already read some works by Crowley since he talks about will so much but he started talking about the Egyptians ushering a new age and maybe I just wasn't in the right mind set for it but that set me off

Just don't want anything, really. Not even ideas concepts, knowledge etc.

Dont set up likes vs dislikes, never let yourself get dependant on anything.

You should respect people's free will though

Everyone can decide on their own what they do

That's what I was trying to say when I gave the example on how I wouldn't alter my boss's thinking if I had control. I try and stick to the Golden Rule mostly, and I'd be pretty upset if I found out I was being brainwashed or something similar

> My father is addicted to nicotine, if I had the ability I would like to make his cravings less intense or make the withdrawals less severe so he stood a better chance of dropping it.

Try harder

You gave zero example of persons' will affecting "the world around", only said will affecting the person in question.
Wait, my mind can affect me?
Well shit thank you Captain Obvious

Well I wouldn't be doing it behind his back, lad. I wouldn't make a secret of it, or be conniving. If I was 100% confident, then I would talk to him and tell him what's what. And... you know, hope he doesn't think I'm a loony. And if I thought he would, I probably just wouldn't do anything. I was just on my phone and I've got fat fingers is all, didn't wanna type that much.

Nah I wasn't on my phone I was just lazy and didn't wanna type that much. I don't know why I'm lying on an anonymous image board

Have you ever asked him if he wants to quit? (Yes, with you measly powerless words)

Well, he's been trying already. Whenever he does I make sure to be extra polite, since he could get agitated quickly while trying to quit. He never shows it, he's very stoic, but I've been a little shit in the past, you know, the little shit years kids go through, and he leaves after a minute and I go to the garage later that night and smell the smoke and feel bad. Even when I accommodate him to the best of my abilities he goes back, just because of the cravings.

Why?

Because your desire for knowledge is actually blocking it.

Smoking isn't bad.

Let me repeat that, just to be clear.

Smoking is not bad.

I feel like you may be being unnecessarily cryptic.

But... HE wants to quit. He made the decision himself. I don't know if you maybe still think I am attempting to impede his free will, but he made the decision entirely on his own. To the best of my memory, I have never told him to try to stop smoking. I just accommodate him when he tries to stop smoking.

I cant be more accurate.

The moment you want something, you set it apart from you and make it inaccesible. It works like this; The moment you say/think/believe you need/want somethjng, is the same moment you are saying you don't have it. In other words not wanting is having.

Doubt youll believe it though, but consider "beginner's luck" for example.

Yeah, because "not smoking" is better right?

It's better on his wallet. And better for the smell of his clothes. I've never asked why he tries to quit honestly. He used to bike, maybe he wants to quit smoking so he can take in more air while biking. I've just googled it, and your lungs do get a better after you quit smoking for a while. I have nothing against drug use. I do have something against being subject to useless desires, like addiction. That's a big part of how I started losing weight, is realizing I'm addicted to food. All I'm saying there is that maybe he is the same way.
I personally don't care that he smokes, but I care that he cares. He wants to quit smoking? I try to help him. He smokes? Fine by me. Nothing wrong with drug use, there is something wrong with addiction.

Believe your shit tastes like ice cream and then eat it, it works man.

No, there isn't

Fix the cause, not the effect

What does he smoke for? Why did he start? Just have a conversation with him about it.

People usually dont want to face their causes though, hence the "respect their free will"

>No, there isn't
Oh well, I suppose that's where we differ.
In my mind, feeding an addiction makes you a slave to your desires, and slavery and freedom are polar opposites. The story he always told me was that he just started smoking because it was "cool when [he] was younger". That seems like a dead end to me. But it's not my place to try and be his therapist anyhow, not when he doesn't ask for help.

You are correct. It is not a belief, but reality.

I'm living proof. My life is weirdly good. I sit around and laugh about it everyday, no joke. I thinks it's because I'm so giving and helpful. I have a very positive attitude, even when times are tough.

For example, my last gf was hot af and literally knocked on my door and wanted to my sex slave. Completely out the blue.

Another, I totalled my car while upset about losing my sex slave, and I decided I needed to sit still and not do anything, stay carless, work on myself and focus on my job. Then I received a fucking huge bonus at work that literally completely paid for a new car.

Recently, I had been thinking of going skiing and then boom someone invites me to go skiing for their birthday.

I meditate a lot, not on the things I want to receive, but on not thinking or desiring anything. I try to want nothing and give unconditionally, but accept that I'm an imperfect piece of shit doing my best.

Works for me.

Attached: 78265376_10156419800461292_5713199818222862336_n.jpg (695x960, 41K)

Right, so he's not using his own power to change his life and you want to do it for him.

If he wants to be enslaved to his desires, let him. He's free to choose for that.

You can disagree with his approach to life, but his problems aren't yours.

Meditation is crap

You dont need it.

I feel like one of us is not making any sense. I've already said that he does want to quit, he initiates it himself, and all I do is accommodate him. By that I mean I am extra polite, no bitching if he tells me to do something, let a rude comment slide, that's pretty much it. The comment I initially made about wanting to help him via Will would only happen with his consent in the first place. Honestly, if I thought that point would be so... controversial, I would have used a different example.

Correct. But there are benefits.

One great example for the older guys. Deep breathing is *great* for erections. When you slowly exhale and try to push your belly button through your back by flexing your upper abdominal muscles (and relax to inhale via suction), I found I would flex the muscle over my bladder and it tugs on the base of my dick a little, making it go up a bit. After a while that shit is orgasmic. But then!! I was at work and boy oh boy I got a fucking huge erection like I used to do in high school. After 40 your dick doesn't point to your head anymore, but my hard on was damn near 45 degrees.

It was kind of like dick exercises, but exercising the muscles to pull your dick higher up.

So, yeah you don't need it, but the oxygen high and orgasmic dick tugs make it great for me lol.

Plus it's great replacement for naps. You don't get all sweaty and oversleep.

If he really wants to quit, what holds him back?

I'm saying your dad isn't being genuine.

Sweaty? Are you on drugs?

How is engaging with erection practice not wanting anything?

Lol one last thing, it's great for taking shits, too! Instead of straining and pushing and you clench up your butthole and it gets all messy, just deep breath and it all slides right the fuck out.

Slowly flex your abdominal muscles to push all the all air out, then relax to inhale. It's the best way to shit. No straining.

Yeah, cigs, booze and weed. Maybe I just drink too much.

I wasn't practicing erections. Just deep breathing

Do you not believe cravings are a valid reason to relapse? He's gone on before about how he never stops wanting nicotine, even when he's managed nearly a year without any, in a spiel to make sure I don't start smoking.

Maybe he isn't being genuine, but he has stopped smoking for a fairly long time before.

I think cravings can only control you when you let them.

I think part of him still thinks it will make him cool and accepted

How are cigs, booze and weed adding to not wanting?

Isn't that like the complete opposite of it?

Maybe. But none of his family smokes, and he doesn't really have any work buddies. No offense but you seem to be assuming a lot.

Doesnt matter.

Its the belief that matters.

Placebo in full effect, he thinks it makes him cool and accepted, so he makes it somewhat true and feels more comfortable with it.

Never seen a person smoke because they actually liked it.

Feel free to check my assumptions...

As I have already discussed earlier, it's none of any of our businesses in the first place.

But, since this thread is so derailed there's no hope of it coming back to what I expected when creating it, I'm gonna abandon it. I'll keep the tab open in case the conversation I expected suddenly starts but don't expect me to participate anymore otherwise.

Sure op, just will yourself into not being a massive faggot.
Go ahead, I’ll wait.

>imma take muh toys and go home
Fucken baby

It's none of your buisiness you say, but you wont mind altering him to get him to succeed

Very contradictory

So, in any case, you aren't ready for what you are asking for.

Okay, then, let's keep going on. How many times is he gonna say "He wants to smoke" and I say "Maybe, I dunno"? We gonna hit the reply cap? After that, do we start another thread?

And you give it a break already, There is a difference between helping someone and psychoanalyzing them.

There really isnt

How are you going to help someone if you dont know what the fuck you are doing?

You're one arrogant little shit you know that? How did your "helping" help then?

Fucking faggot

Alan Watts says hello.

Alan watts can eat a dick

if you don’t know how to help someone and just fuck around you end up doing more harm then good. I have the feeling you only want to help him to make yourself feel good and mighty. Check you own reasons, become humble in the majesty of the universe and maybe you will expand your mind.
You are a small dirty mind at the moment

Alan watts is too busy fucking your mom

Hi.
Wanna touch dickskins?

As an immoral degenerate does.

Damn, your dad is an immoral degenerate?

Yeah, he too

You're not the brightest around, huh?

Well then nature and nurture are both against you so you're an immoral degenerate too

if that's what you took from that, perhaps you should value praise less

Everything I praise I keep safe in my cum jar.

Can always count on a retard for retarded responses.

Logical fallacy

Didn't say I was wrong tho

Google the global consciousness project. Also, you might be insane. Not a bad thing but it may hinder your ability of having a good life. Go see a dr and find out.

I used to be, but not because of my parents.

I know I definitely have some things wrong with me. Autism, which is obvious because I post here. Arithmomania, I always count letters non stop. It's why the "meditation, don't focus on anything" post seemed weird to me. I also always get the feeling that there's people casing my house or stalking me, though I've realized through the lack of being attacked that it's definitely all in my head, I still can't help but start to panic when I'm followed for one too many turns or see someone parked outside my house.

Tobacco is the hardest addiction to quit. Harder than alcohol or even hard drugs. The ONLY way to do it is cold turkey. I tried all the patches, gums, drugs, etc and they are all just bands aids. To quit you have to stop cold turkey and not touch it for two weeks. During that two weeks you will want to kill yourself every minute of every day. You may even feel that you are dying. But you just have to get through two weeks. From there you just have to maintain and not slip up and use again because then you’ll be back at square one. Also- you will suck at life from then on. Tobacco is a stimulant that greatly enhances your abilities in every area of life, and you’ll never perform at the same level without it. So you just have to accept that.

Do you hate yourself?

Just giving you the facts in hopes they help someone else who is struggling!

>Tobacco is a stimulant that greatly enhances your abilities in every area of life, and you’ll never perform at the same level without it.

This isn't a fact though.

Has OP played Assassin's Creed? This very situation has been covered in a cut scene from AC3.

I suggest OP hits jewtube (or better still, play the games for real context).

Search for "Assassin's Creed 3 cutscenes".

In my experience it is. Basically it’s the same reason they give fighter jet pilots amphetamine - their performance is greatly enhanced. Just like steroids enhance athletic performance. But the long term health effects of heavy tobacco use are very destructive.

>human Will can affect the world around them. >Some evidence lies in the Placebo effect
Eh? How is my belief in the effect of something ineffective a proof for my affect on the world around me?

Oh, yeah. All the smart boys and girls and all the professional athletes swear by cigarettes...

C'mon dude...

Well if you want to test this out for yourself go buy a can of wintergreen chew and then do some sudoku puzzles or other mentally challenging a roving and see if you don’t experience a dramatic increase in your cognitive abilities.

As if the dramatic increase isn't available without synthetics.

It's not the tobacco, it never is.

Its all you, bby

If you aren't on it initially you wouldn't have that cognitive increase. It's called addiction, when you're off it it takes away cognitive function, you're just experiencing your true abilities at that point. Normal people trying it would just feel like they had a cup of coffee in the morning

Yeahh..Elon Musky..you was all time..

Attached: 5481574960436388.jpg (1362x1133, 123K)

Read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" but remember when it was written.
If you believe what the author is saying, then you believe that your actions can have lasting long term effects on those around you.

It's clear that what you're saying is true just maybe not in a supernatural sense.

Anecdote:
I believe that it is disrespectful to yourself to not stay in shape and that you should gain as much strength and size as you can without affecting your ability to provide for yourself.
I lift 4-7 days a week depending on how busy my schedule is and because of this, all of my friends and my siblings exercise to stay fit and active and will outlive every other family simply because I firmly hold these values.

What isn't shown here is that I talk positively and reasonably about my beliefs to them on occasion and ask them what they like to do to stay active simply to make sure they aren't squandering their bodies with bullshit.
The influence comes from the talking but would not be achieved without my firm beliefs

That's just meme magic