/lang/ - Language learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Learning resources
Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua (embed)"""; for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.
/lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#

Other urls found in this thread:

expath.de/expath-german-language-placement-test/
joerg-rhiemeier.de/Conlang/classification.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kủaq shẻo jí ka, pủ mỏaqshāi jí fía chỏadēoqgīu da, ru je bủ mỉu jí rîuchōadēoq sa póq da! Pó súq ga tẻoq bi, mả mỉu súq jî hi póq moq?

What language is that?

Toaq. It's an engineered language, like lojban, but it handles grammar via tones.

Actually checked out the language thread on /t/ today, and found a Akkadian language course. Reading through one of the pdf-files now, looks quite interesting. Probably the most useless thing I've ever devoted time on though, lol

>165 cards pending review
I hope I get good enough soon where I can do actual fun things

Most languages aren't all that practical to know in the end, except the most widely spoken ones. As long as you had fun, it wasn't useless.

Lẻmīu jí pû fỉeq súq sa fúaqlūa nǒ hóa mí Tỏkīpōnā da. Mả jẻo moq?

Gỉ shè tu rái tâo nĩqgūo tì ní sa rái sa pó báq fỉeqsētōaq da. Hỉo ka.

>how do you do fellow kids
Why do people recommend Memrise again?

normies love those kinds of things. they are friendly and inviting and make them feel good. we're too jaded and depressed to appreciate little ""clever"" things.

I'd like to study German
I'd like to live in Switzerland or Austria in the future
And that is to join KrautChan

Dủe súq shè râqkūq súq ní fủaq da. Mả tủa jí máq fóchāq rào sa rái moq?
Mão bi, sủq hi póq moq? Jỉqdūa sia póq jẽojūi mí Tỏaq da; jảq jủa gêq go súq tì ní da.

shut your mouth, I love Memrise-sama

I've been listening to German radio. A liberal German has said

> Ich möchte nicht mehr in Ur-Germania leben. Ich will in viele Kulturelen Deutschland leben.

which means

> I don't want to live in Ur-Germania anymore, I want to live in current Germany, which has many cultures.

I can't understand what he's saying though: "Ur-Germania." What is he saying?

"ur-" is like "proto-": a primitive version of something

Ni eskolara joaten naiz, eta oso ondo da.
Japonia oso ona da.

oh that makes sense. He was saying he doesn't want to live in Old Germany, which only had white Germans. He wants to live in New Germany, which is multicultural.

yeah, correct. note that "ur-" isn't always necessarily negative"

Anyone else here conlang? I used to, I'm thinking about starting one again.

> Conlanging is the creation of constructed languages or conlangs, such as Esperanto, Lojban, or Klingon.

oh god

Is there something like rikaichan for other languages?
Also, how many languages do you find it feasible to study at one time?

Everyone I know that conlangs has a self-important abrasive personality. So I would say get over yourself and get off your high horse.

Hahaha, snobs?

Pretty much. They don't even do it with the goal of creating a complete and viable language, they only work on it enough to be able to flaunt it in front of friends and strangers in order to get praise. Sad empty shells is what these people are, probably compensating for something or they got too coddled as a child, I don't know.

Lẻ sỉachīo chẻo dẻoq súqjī sĩachīo shìu ní da. Dãqsāo bi, sỉ jí pó mí Tỏkīpōnā ga ga dẻoqkūa na, ru kủq jí cu máq sia rái da.
Tỉo dảqsāo chôq súq mí Tỏaq moq? Dủ hải jảq jỏe da.

>Lẻ sỉachīo chẻo dẻoq súqjī sĩachīo shìu ní da
Chỉai da. Mỏ "Lẻ chêo dẻoq súqjī sĩachīo shìu ní da" teo ba.

I know a girl who learned Elvish, that language from Lord of the Rings.

> They don't even do it with the goal of creating a complete and viable language, they only work on it enough to be able to flaunt it in front of friends and strangers in order to get praise. Sad empty shells is what these people are, probably compensating for something or they got too coddled as a child, I don't know.
Would you say that guy who wrote Lord of the Rings calls under this category?

Tolkien spent his whole lifetime toiling away to make his universe coherent and make his languages as viable as possible. This is different from hipster nerd in their early 20s looking for attention.

Easiest way to learn Persian?

get a qt persian gf

I have started to learn Spanish through Duolingo since I need to know it if I wanna live in Panama. It's going pretty well actually. I also realized that I can still understand Esperanto decently after not having done anything with it for like 5 years at this point.

Why is a Maltese moving to Panama for?

Ever been to Malta? It's basically a dusty rock.

I'm not Maltese, I'm Swedish. I wish to acquire a second citizenship, and Panama seems nice.

>mfw there isn't an italian to spanish course on duolingo, so i just study spanish trough english

Through***

I see. What made you choose Panama?

someone redpill me on biblical greek

They have some kinda friendly nations visa I can apply for, look it up.

how do you guys stay motivated to keep learning? I haven't touched French in 2-3 months, fucking kill me

Vous parlez anglais?

Same, but the opposite way
Actually prefer it that way

Oui, je parle l'anglais, et l'espanol

im currently learning french with the michel thomas method
so far so good, im halfway through the foundation cds and have learned a lot, although i can't speak for the rest of the course

Parler le francais est tres facile pour toi, parce que il y a beaucoup des similarites linguistiques entre le francais et ton langue?

>I'd like to study German
>I'd like to live in Switzerland or Austria
ドイツ語勉強したいならオーストリアにしてな。スイス人はもうはやドイツ語じゃない弁を使っってる。なんかその弁を好きになってるけど習うのがガチめんどやで

>post yfw i don't know how to torrent in the year of Lord, 2017
Oui ! C'est tres facile notamment depuis je sais l'espanol, et j'aime francais haha. Apres j'apprendre le francais, je voudrais apprendre le russe

>espagnol... i have to say it sorry, i'm also learning the baguette language

>tfw i don't know how to pronounce Les-etats-uni

Just leave out a bunch of the letters and pronounce it with the same air as a "honh"

>Just leave out a bunch of the letters
This is really the pronunciation guide for all French words.

Is the Dutch Z like the English one or more close to a French J? I've been hearing both

noice
>pic related
Lez-etah-zuni

SOMEONE PLS HELP ME WITH MY GERMAN!
>I'M SERIOUSLY THINKING ABOUT ENROLLING IN A COURSE AND PAYING THE EXAGGERATED FUCKING FEE

It's somewhere in between. Closer to /z/ than /Z/ from what I've heard, though it might vary by dialect. is /Z/ though.

Massive bump!

I've never seen decimals for the language level thing. What does it mean? If this is the normal levels (a1-c2) then I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now. (although the 63/100 feels bad. But the entire last page was filled almost entirely with words I didn't know).

To make this more discussion worthy: what level are you for the language you're learning? Any particular things you're trying to work on?

Abomination.

Disgusting

Never seen decimals for that scale myself. I was assessed to level "B1/B2" in Arabic once, which I interpreted as being too smart for B1, but too dumb for B2. I guess it's the same in your case, though what difference there is between a pure B2 and a B2.1 I have no idea. Must be something very small

Don't the torrents have viruses/keyloggers and the like?

Mom get off Sup Forums

where did you take this test? Memrise?

expath.de/expath-german-language-placement-test/
Some nigga posted it on the last thread

Planning to start learning russia.

Sounds interesting. Is it logical like lojban as well?

I'd say your mostly right but the cutoff sounds a bit more like ''lay-zetah-zuni'' (since ''s'' always carries over to the start of the next word that starts with a vowel)

Do you guys use any custom word memory card software?

>It's an engineered language,
conlang, there's a term for it

I need albanian language learning resources. halp pls..

Do you mean flashcards? If so I think a lot of people use Anki

In the google drive posted in the OP
Indo-European -> Other
There's a few Albanian books there.

>getting the highest marx in my mandarin class
>secretly i still literally cannot hear the different tones

not even tone deaf fuck this language

ah, you're looking for an Asian gf I see

For his falcon

I speak enough French to read a Wiki article and understand 80-90% of it without a dictionary, enough Latin to read poems with a dictionary, and am beginning to learn Hebrew.

Hey I wanted to ask you, I heard that jews usually have hebrew class (when they go to the synagogue maybe?). Did you start learning it in that context or did you only recently start from scratch?

I started from scratch. Most Jews go to Hebrew school (my siblings did) but I didn't; my house was busy af already

pardon the phoneposting, but i guess german likes to dick around with decimals

is japanese easier than russian for a turk to learn?

Yea and it's said turk is the easiest langue for us to learn.

awoo ~~

bump with my results

bumpp

Bahasa Melayu, because if I fail it for SPM (Malaysian Certificate of Education, equivalent to GCSE), consider me fucked for life.

good luck

Chinky chink?

All varieties of Greek are the same language with some changes. Biblical Greek is basically modern.

How the fuck does one learn a language like this? (Serious question; tonal languages give me trouble)

El bumpo

Pủ cẻo chỉe jí rào túqsīe mỉochāq ra lỏachāq. Tỉ súq pó mí Tỏaq ga dẻoqkūa moq?
it is. have a look at toaq.org
joerg-rhiemeier.de/Conlang/classification.html
the tones are the hardest part for me as well.

Pỉe jí dúi da. Shảokūq mó "Je mả tỉ súq pó mí Tỏaq ga dẻoqkūa moq?" teo da.

wie gehts brudis

It's happening!

Other than spaced repetition and exercise are there any other good learning techniques?

>What language are you learning
Trying to get back into Latin and ancient Greek. Also doing some Chinese and Czech for fun

I want to focus on improving my German and French though, they're more useful atm (of course Chinese is very useful, but the effort/result ratio is a lot different from French and German

oh shit, very nice. what dialect are they teaching? MSA?
immersion. read/watch/listen things in your target language.

So anything interesting in you would recommend for a beginner? A podcast perhaps? (For French that is)

not too sure, never seriously studied French. their comic books are quite famous, maybe try that (Lucky Luke, Astérix, etc.)
they make enough films as well I'd wager, just have a look what people recommend.

Is memrise good for learning European Portuguese?

Duolingo only offers Brazilian Portuguese for some reason.