Why are movies nowadays no longer memorable...

Why are movies nowadays no longer memorable? Is it because I've grown older and more jaded or is it that movies are no longer treading new waters? The new Joker movie was different, but what movie before that was special, did something new, tried a new concept? Inception? Is that really the last one? Lord of the Rings was on TV last night and it made me think that no movie I've seen in the past decade was legitimately memorable.

What do you guys think?

Attached: 6FipZa0.gif (500x264, 980K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oj8JK6c5x3M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That’s because with so much new technology and cgi being so advanced the feeling of “wow that’s fucking cool” died down since you seen it a million times. Look at transformer when they turn into a car and back to a killing machine fucking epic but after a few movies it’s just meh.

What about, King Kong VS Godzilla, that... hhHHHAVE ! to be, epic, amazing, and entertaining, it comming 2020

There’s plenty of good memorable movies, you’re just watching the shitty ones

What are good ones to watch then? I'm not trying to be devil's advocate. I just want to have a movie that isn't stale

Happy Gilmore, Groundhog Day, Home Alone, Harry Potter

You have shit taste. You probably laugh at Benny hill

No, I'm saying those are oldies and goodies. I like those ones. Is there a movie that's good in the 10s?

Movies have always been just as bad as they are now. We just don't remember to bad ones and focus on the good ones.

You probably watch shit for the sake of fitting in

>Is it because I've grown older and more jaded or is it that movies are no longer treading new waters?
Probably some of both, but more the latter. There's a sense of wonder and novelty that aging sort of kills over time. There's also the fact that there are only so many ideas to be had, and only so many ways to execute them. But the fact that everything is a fucking reboot or rehash definitely doesn't help. I'm gonna check out The Neon Demon soon.

Drive, nightcrawler, the town, Oculus, the conjuring 1

I don't generally agree that we've run out of ideas. It's like how "everything that can be invented has been invented." I wonder if there's a way to stop people just "going" to movies to make 'em stop pumping out bland concepts.
my buddy just brought up that Pixar has good movies, and they have been! Up, Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur. So, I don't think they're out of ideas, we are just being content with bland shit.

>"Movies today are made for 16 year olds and China."
youtube.com/watch?v=oj8JK6c5x3M

Good clip. Wonder if there's a way to change it.

Missing the point, OP is talking about new movies being shit, not that he doesn't enjoy movies in general anymore.

Brit , old fag or late night cable? Benny Hill hasn't been on tv in 30 years. And have you seen SNL in the last 2 decades. I'll take carefree, misogynist grade school humor over bitter liberal grade school humor

But I agree that list is kinda sad

>the dark edge
everything today has to be dark and edgy, with massive amounts of violence, sex & sfx.

since those things are the min focus, things like characters, plot,settings and such has to step back to not get in the way of the movie.

>but what movie before that was special, did something new, tried a new concept?

The problem is probably the fact that you buy into hype instead of searching out for niche releases or releases that aren't hyped as much.

I went to see Annihilation last year and it was one of the best movies I've seen this decade and no one talked about it. The ending was a trope but the rest was pretty original feeling without being cliche. Then again I went into the movie literally knowing nothing about it on a whim, the movie was barely advertised so I expected it to be hot garbage.

Joker is the only movie in recent memory that lived up to the hype and did something different (inb4 "it's just taxi driver")

Going to get some argument here but I thought Bladerunner 2049 was good. Caveats: 1) you had to have watched, enjoyed and remember the original. 2) its a mood movie if you go in with action movie mindset you'll be disappointed. It was sold as such and I think they added I action scene pointlessly just to add more action but tat was a mistake, 3) being a mood movie you can't watch this in a movie house or with not like minded people assholes talking or the constant popcorn munching/wrapper crunching and soda slurping is going to detract. Some movies, like some painting, are dependent on environment. Another example is Das Boot. Awesome movie but you need to see it in original German and if you don't have a quite dark room you missed half the movie.

why make good movies if you can sell fast paced action without a story to the normies?

Yes and no. There are very few things that are truly original but there are plenty of ways the same idea can be presented in a somewhat original way. Problem is they're too lazy/timid/greedy to even do that in most cases. Since you like animation you should definitely go Aardman Chicken Run is a classic and the more prison escape movies you know the funnier it gets. Also Shawn the Sheep the movie. No dialogue entirely visual humor and a lot of jokes in the background.

You're not imagining it. Movies have been shit for almost two decades now. The rise of superhero cg effects, blockbuster fluff and lowest common denominator ideas are to blame, as well as general millenial outrage culture. Only safe ideas are put to film. Safe ideas papered together with cgi that has no grounding in reality. Will it print money is the only artistic concern.

I don't only like animated movies, i was just giving an example of good recent movies and animated films are generally pretty good (probably because they animate each frame). I'm not opposed to normal films if they have a good story and/or character development!

Either way, this thread seems to be telling me that mainstream movies are now lazy, so I guess I'm not TOO crazy

It's called being a cynical asshole

Have you ever watched one of those movies you loved as a kid but it absolutely fucking sucks, then you check out the reviews and they're absolutely abysmal? With age you lose your sense of wonder and become more picky.

The same way, I used to absolutely love the Lord of the Rings movies, but now they just don't seem as good and are full of flaws. Still enjoyable though.

Big problem with movies and novels is that as soon as it the first one hits big artistic integrity goes out the window and it becomes all about how long you can churn it out to bring in the most money. Add on top of that all the crappy remakes of good movies. Unless the movie was complete shit to begin with and they can actually redo it to make it good they shouldn't do remakes. You think actors would be more against this. So many movies were you have an actors iconic character and original movie just rehashed. At least they got backlash when they announced a remake of Princess Bride

I thought Bladerunner 2049 was good too. Bladerunner (The cut not the shitty narrated one with a forced "happy" ending) is one of my favorite movies.

Part of that is an unfair comparison though. An adult is never going to get the same sense of wonder as a child from something as mundane as a movie. Its like Christmas. You can still enjoy Christmas morning but there is no sense of "magical" to compare with when you were a kid

Because all the good authors write for series on streaming services now. Only the bay tards remained.

Nightcrawler was fucking intense. One of the best films released recently

Arrival was awesome.

I find this more with tv shows. Probably kids have different taste and with tv shows, until you backtrack, you're only comparison is what else is currently on. As a child my favorite was Hogan's Heroes.

Yes the forced happy ending or the ridiculous ending that leaves an "out" to make a sequel. [spoiler] Driver [/spoiler]

Crap sorry.

arrival would have been perfect if it weren't the fact that it explained everything at one point. killed the suspense

I think LOTR definitely, after that Interstellar, Inception, Joker. There's multiple movies. When was the last time before LOTR something really mindblowing happened in theatres?

Under the Skin, I think it's still on Netflix.

Its probably different if you have a physical copy of a movie. Then it becomes something you share among your circle.

There are too many of them and they are too much alike.
Compare the number of movies made in the 1970s, the 1990s, and todayu.
How can anything be memorable when there is a glut of it?

Matrix. Terminator Alien. Even some of the early capeshit movies. The problem is that they get something good and then beat it too death. Sometimes it just takes a sequel, sometimes it takes a couple movies, but they run it until the people who tolerate crap can't even stand it anymore as long as it profits. Lotr was decent but the mind blow part was with big CGI battle scenes which allowed you to forgive some of the crappy bits. Like most of the Gimli comic relief bits were pure cringe. But then that produced Hobbit which sucked balls. Pointlessly dragging it out to 3 movies when a longer single movie would have sufficed, altering the story so much it was practically a chick flick in parts (forbidden love triangle, really?), and it looked like they blew their cgi budget with the ridiculous (but granted somewhat neat if you never read the Hobbit) Smaug action scenes so the the expected grand CGi capper of the battle of 5 armies becomes nothing but a cgi infused "made for tv movie" action scene centered around the "star-crossed" lovers. How many young girls who may have loved the Hobbit are now forever turned off by Tolkien because the story is not the romance the movie led them to believe?

Most movies that have been made are not memorable.
Or can you name all those western that were made for decades?

We are (again) at a point the big movie companies will walk the better save than sorry way. But you will always find very good movies. You just won't find them with all those big movies.
Is it a movie trying to remade something very successfull other media does? It is trash most of the time (Joker was an exeption, but it wasn't that close to the usual comic stuff anyway). Anyone have seen the Cats trailer?
Do they come up with a "we got plans for the next 10 years with this"? Ignore it.

Simply don't go for US-movies all the time and ignore most stuff Hollywood will throw at you.

But there are enough other countrys.
I was blown away by Your Name.
You will always find interesting stuff from Japan, Scandinavia or France.

But most importand, good movies got one thing in common.
The director was able to do his thing and he or she is a good director.
I will always be interested by something new from Anderson, Shinkai or Jeunet.

On the other hand I can safly ignore everything Bay got his hands on or Abrams (in my opinion 2 of the worst directors / writers / producers right now).

This but also the memorable movies get made into unremarkable remakes. Charles Bronson's Death Wish and Mechanic. Day of the Jackal. Willie Wonka. Ghostbusters, Yul Brynner's Westworld and Magnificent Seven, just some off the top of my head

Forgot 2 things.

1, OP you might be interested in You Were Never Really Here. It is a Phoenix show too but in my opinion the better one.
Might be because of the director too.

2. All those Zimmer and Friends Soundtracks don't make movies better. It is more like they all sound the same. Just listen to something Remote Control Productions did the music for. You will have problems to tell for what movie that music was done most of the time.
And it doesn't get better with "lets use the best music from today, the 2ks, 90, 80, 70" and so on.

While a lot of 80 and 90 nostalgia is thrown at us today.

How the west was won or The good the bad and the ugly aren't memorable? I think you are mixing up memorable vs what each generation is exposed to. The fact that so few people voluntarily expose themselves to media that is over a decade old is one of the reasons they can get away with remakes of older films. They go in with the attitude it worked once it will work again, people familiar don't like it and people unfamiliar like it less than an OC movie because no effort is made to make anything more than a soulless rehash.

Personally I liked some of the epic Chinese movies that were coming out for awhile back in 90/00s Yes the King fu magic maneuvers are silly but some had the grand feel of Cecil B. DeMille pictures in that a scene with thousands of people actually contained thousands of people. Also some of the choreography of some of the fight scenes can only be described as gorgeous. Lack of obligatory happy ending was also refreshing

I know this is a slow thread with just a couple people but in case it drops off before I get back let me just say it was nice to be in a thread that didn't consist mainly of 1 line insults for a change.

Thanks man! Glad my thread is still alive too, especially after I had a busy part of work and went and still see it alive, got to read through a lot of good discussion too.

Sounds like an missunderstanding on your end.
We got some good western. Some very good ones.
But how many westerns have been made?

They made westerns for a longer time than the wild west did exist. (somehow like MASH) but today we only remember a few of them.

And beside a few US western most will remember some Spaghetti Western. My name is Nobody for example. Or all those Spencer/Hill stuff (later on not western anymore). But we do speak about several hundert westerns, that have been made.

You came up with 2?

In some decades people will remember only a few of all those superhero movies we are drowning into right now.

My bet would be at Logan (very good one), Joker and something funny like Deadpool. Simply because such things don't get old.
But none of them can be discribed as the usual comic super hero stuff.

Amazing film. Totally underrated too.

>forbidden love triangle
dafuq? glad i skipped those. the hobbit is barely long enough for one movie, three was a major red flag with blinking lights and a neon sign saying run mutherfucker.

I can come up a lot more than 2 but I see where you're coming from (My name is nobody is a good one btw). I think you're talking about genre overload where a certain type becomes the fad which creates a glut of similar, and its right to compare the western craze of the 40-60s with the superhero stuff of today. But I also think you can't a priori pick out what will be memorable for future generations based on how well a movie stands out from genre saturation today. A dozen Joker knockoffs delving into villain psychosis and trying to out edgy each other will quickly wipe the shine off the original.

Yes the Raplh Bakshi version, despite its dated animation, is still a far truer telling of the story. His Lotr attempt wasn't good but not because of story mangulation but because he just didn't have the tech & budget to really make the new technique of rotoscoping work well