Tom Holland Says Shane Carruth’s ‘The Modern Ocean’ Is the Best Script He’s Ever Read

>Tom Holland is about to reach superstardom levels when Spider-Man: Homecoming hits theater this summer, but it’s a testament to the actor’s talent and character that he’s also still very interested in working with interesting filmmakers on much smaller-scale movies. One of these is filmmaker James Gray’s The Lost City of Z, which just hit select theaters, but he’s also attached to star in the next film from an incredibly fascinating director: Shane Carruth.

>Carruth first broke through with the head-spinning sci-fi pic Primer, then followed that up years later with the emotional yet intellectually complex Upstream Color. Holland was announced as joining the cast of The Modern Ocean, Carruth’s 200-page adventure epic involving disputes over shipping routes, back in 2015 when the film was being packaged, but we’ve since heard precious little about the project.

>So when Collider’s own Steve Weintraub spoke with Holland at the press day for The Lost City of Z, he asked the actor what happened to The Modern Ocean and if it still might happen:

>“Do you know what, I don’t know. I love Shane’s movies, I think he’s a great director; Primer and Upstream Color are awesome. That is I think the best script I’ve ever read. It’s the craziest idea for a movie ever; it’s so cool. I actually keep meaning to get my agents on the phone to talk about it, to try and see if we can kick it up again. But not I’m still attached to it I guess, but I hope we get to make it in the future.”

Another GOAT Shane script that might never get made. Being a Shane fan is suffering.

Other urls found in this thread:

oneroomwithaview.com/2014/03/07/best-films-never-made-12-shane-carruths-a-topiary/
indiewire.com/2015/08/shane-carruth-talks-his-next-movie-the-modern-ocean-says-it-erupts-into-a-big-action-film-260834/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He keeps trying to turn his art film scripts into these big budget blockbusters and it's just never going to happen. He needs to work on a lower level. This is ridiculous. At this rate he's only going to ever make a handful of films and that'd be a tragedy.

stfu carruth you're a hack

>predictions about the future

good luck with that bojack

>Tom Holland Says
Who the fuck gives a shit about what this manlet cuck 12yo says about anything.

I thought Modern Ocean was absolutely definitely being made. It isn't?

This. That little nigger has been in like 10 movies and half of them are capeshit.

Probably not. Development hell. 99% of the time, that means it's doomed.

Press F

Damn. That hurts. I really love Upstream Color.

F

Primer is literally the best science fiction film of this century. Prove me wrong

How was it possible to go from something as profoundly perfect as Primer to the pure shitshow that was Upstream Color?

Wow, as we all know Holland KNOWS screenplays, having read more than most anyone in the business in his vast show business career.

Tom Holland is 19 years old what the fuck does he know about good writing? When I was 19 I liked anime.

who the fuck is tom holland

Godamn it! Carruthfags, let's just kickstarter the fucking film

Carruth is a pretty good director but he needs to be paired with a screenwriter than can reign in the pretentiousness.

>a 12 year old reads the best script he's ever read

Who gives a fuck.

I'm sure people would if he wasn't opposed to having any kind of internet presence or interaction with his fans.

I think it's the other way around. His films are packed with interesting ideas, but they look cheap and amateurish, and the performances are pretty flat and neutral.

He's the same age as most of you ITT.

>“Do you know what, I don’t know. I love Shane’s movies, I think he’s a great director; Primer and Upstream Color are awesome. That is I think the best script I’ve ever read. It’s the craziest idea for a movie ever; it’s so cool. I actually keep meaning to get my agents on the phone to talk about it, to try and see if we can kick it up again. But not I’m still attached to it I guess, but I hope we get to make it in the future.”

God I hate the way actors talk

Yeah actually I agree. Like George Lucas, he's a great "idea guy" but probably shouldn't write, direct or act.

For what it's worth David Fincher, Steven Soderbergh, and Rian Johnson all claimed another one of Carruth's scripts, "A Topiary", was the best script they ever read. Is it really so hard to believe that Carruth wrote a great script?

Well this kid reads only marvelshit scripts so there's not much competition

Nah, his work is flawed, but at least he's trying to do something original. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy makes a real masterpiece someday. I'd say Primer was a 7/10 and Upstream Color was like a 5 or 6. But they've both stuck with me, and if he ever makes another film I'll definitely see it

It's worth pointing out that a great screenplay doesn't necessarily translate into something people would be willing to put money into producing. Carruth's movies appeal to a very niche audience.

I believe Carruth said The Modern Ocean was an attempt to be more commercial and it even has s big battle with ships at the end.

Maybe a mixture of both honestly. A more seasoned director would be able to get better performances and another writer could help to make his stories more comprehensible.

For me the problem isn't that his stories are incomprehensible. He just doesn't know how to "connect" with his characters, so it's difficult to care about the events of the plot. Upstream Color was a big "so what?" movie for me. I watched the movie twice, and I think I understood the plot just fine. I just didn't find anything relevant, relatable, or meaningful in any of it.

It was like half of a movie. He does a good job of slowly revealing the nature of this conspiracy/parasite. But in the end, it just felt like a meaningless string of fictional events with no emotional weight. It didn't connect with me at all.

A TOPIARY FUCKING WHEN
TELL US SHANE I KNOW YOU'RE IN THIS THREAD, HELL YOU'RE PROBABLY THE OP

>Nah, his work is flawed, but at least he's trying to do something original.
That's what that guy was saying though.
George is a very original filmmaker.

I just don't agree that "he shouldn't write, direct, or act."

>A Topiary will never be produced but instead we get some shit about boats

ah

Uneducated opinion: "A Topiary" is the worst title I've ever heard, and that's probably a big part of why the film was never produced

Have you ever read the script? It's fucking great. Agree that the title is terrible though.

It's about ur mum's bush m8

I haven't, but I have no trouble believing it's good. I liked his other 2 films. I'm just shitting on the title

He's not good at titling his projects but A Topiary is considered "unfilmable"

this sounds like shit though
oneroomwithaview.com/2014/03/07/best-films-never-made-12-shane-carruths-a-topiary/

Nice reverse psychology Shane

Primer and Upstream Color are fine titles. The Modern Ocean doesn't sound bad either.

"Topiary" wouldn't even be an awful title, but "A Topiary" just sounds bad

Upstream Color has lots of great looking scenes.

for you

GET IT FUCKING SORTED SHANE

Topiary is just meme like that Jodorowsky pretentious mess Dune, that everybody hype like second coming but in reality that'd be unwatchable shit

>tfw your galaxy is stomped into oblivion

The Modern Ocean will probably be great though.

Yes he said that. indiewire.com/2015/08/shane-carruth-talks-his-next-movie-the-modern-ocean-says-it-erupts-into-a-big-action-film-260834/
In the article above it says its in pre production and that was in 2015 so i doubt it will get made since now its in development.