Giant coconut crab sneaks up on a sleeping bird and kills it and then eats it

The coconut crabs were actually opportunistic predators.

A giant coconut crab has been filmed stalking, killing and devouring a seabird. It is the first time these whopping crustaceans have been seen actively hunting large, back-boned animals, and suggests they might dominate their island ecosystems.

Coconut crabs (Birgus latro), also known as robber crabs, are an imposing sight. They can weigh up to 4 kilograms, as much as a house cat, and sport legs that span almost a metre. This makes them the largest invertebrates – animals without backbones – on land. The crabs live on coral atolls in the tropical Indian and Pacific oceans.

They are renowned for their tree-climbing abilities and taste for coconuts, which they crack open with their powerful claws. They do sometimes eat meat, but until now it was thought that they only obtained it by opportunistic scavenging.

Between January and March 2016, Mark Laidre of Dartmouth College in New Hampshire visited the Chagos Archipelago, a remote series of atolls in the Indian Ocean. Chagos is ideal for studying coconut crabs: it is in pristine condition, is surrounded by one of the largest marine reserves on Earth and has lots of coconut crabs, making them easier to find and observe.

Attack of the killer crab
One night, Laidre saw a coconut crab slowly climb a tree and so he began filming. The crab inched towards a common seabird called a red-footed booby, which was sleeping in a nest near the ground. It then lunged with a claw, pinching and breaking the bone in one of the bird’s wings and causing it to tumble out of the tree.

Other urls found in this thread:

newscientist.com/article/giant-coconut-crab-sneaks-sleeping-bird-kills/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

source: new scientist
newscientist.com/article/giant-coconut-crab-sneaks-sleeping-bird-kills/

looks like a yummy crab full of meat.

I like this thread.

We... need to weaponize this.

ARTHROPOD TAKE OVER WHEN?

RIP birb.

I read they are poisonous

VERY informative thread

wtf that's not a coconut

Don't know about poison but they are pretty strong.

Fuck that
I don't want that nigga sneaking up on me while I'm sleeping

yabby innit

only in mexico

>tfw snibbity snabed to death in my sleep

why are crabs becoming so based? are they sick of polluted waters and being eaten? for real crabs are pulling blades on people and shit.

Gtfo newscientist

>live in isolated, pitch black heat vents at the deepest trenches of the ocean
>live all along the sea floor
>live in shallow water among coral
>live in sand on beaches
>live in fucking trees

B A S E D crabs.

I'd serve those crab legs.

>mfw kill another h*man in a knife fight

Fun fact: some crabs eat tubeworms, which have blood that contains 300 times the surrounding level of toxic nitrate.

>live in my pubes
Very based

Not so fast, crabbo...

How would you effectively kill that thing without a gun...

>few yuros don't have crab guns
Enjoy your crustacean enrichment.

Destroy their habitat.

*teleports behind you*
Have you forgotten crabs aren't...kosher

It's actually a cancer, not a crab.

Forgot pic

ummm... back the fuck off!?

Smash it? I'm not sure how strong you'd have to be, but probably not body builder levels.

Yeah but look at those niggas
you think they'd let you off if you tried to smash them?

what, did anyone actually doubt something that looks like pic related was capable of brutal murder?

Christ, it looked way smaller in OPs pic. Lure one at a time, smash, then move to another country t.bh.

Hunting*, the big boy was just hungry (and i think they are also edible for us)

Better to back off. We have been sparring with our lobster brethren for millenia

Pick it up by its back legs and drop it in a pot of boiling water. Don't forget the butter sauce.

They're family would follow you and murder you in your sleep like that bird desu

kek
wonder how it will taste though....

How intelligent are crabs and similar crustaceans?

I don’t expect them to pass mirror test, but I wouldn’t be suprised if they were on par with mice and such.

>czech education

This has to be bait

If cards are played right then we might have a nice sledgehammer sales boost with them.

why arent they farmed? looks like they could become an economic success

>jewish ancestor.jpg

that's a big crab

I trully did not learn about how smart crabs are because in my country there arfe no crabs, so can you please enlighten me?

hmm, sledgehammers would do the job pretty good I think
You only need the power and effectiveness of swinging it and you'd probably kill it in one go