TWIN PEAKS

I'm in the middle of season two of Twin Peaks right now and I really want to hear your thoughts. What's your opinion on Twin Peaks, what did you like/why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B62P6Gm9jpE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Liked:
>Cryptic symbolism
>Manichaean spirituality
>Demonic possession
>Prostitution
>Peoples' pain being used as demon food
>Drug smuggling Canadians
>Everything about Major Briggs and his weird job with the aliens and secret messages
>Death by doorknob
>Heaven and Hell symbolism in the movie sequel/prequel

Didn't like:
>Nadine
>Dick
>Little Nicky
>The Civil War arc
>Most of the second season

How far is "in the middle?" Did they solve Laura's murder yet?

Yeah, definitely. Chess with Windom Earle.

All I really didn't like were the James and Nadine filler plotlines. All the rest were at least fun, and outside of that period the rest of the show is pure kino.

>he didn't like based Dick

Why do people like Dick?

He's a piece of shit.

I also started to rewatch it now after a couple of years, I gotta say I love it a lot more now I'm currently in the first few episodes of season 2 before the reveal

Every scene involving Ben and Jerry is pure kino I tell you that

He's likable because he's a charming, despite being a piece of shit.

He's also in an episode of Columbo and might as well be Dick Tremayne

The random flashback of the dancing silhouette in their room was a truly cinematic experience

My favorite part was the whole supernatural/spiritual aspect, that's what makes it great. In the end it kind of reminded me of Greek mythology, where the "gods" have their own conflicts/disagreements going on, and people get caught up as pawns. Except this show dealt with a set of higher powers that were locally specific to the Pacific Northwest. I haven't seen many other movies/shows that attempt anything like this.

Besides that, I loved the setting and the way it was photographed, I loved most of the characters, I loved the obsession with food/coffee. I liked the fact that Lynch and Frost seemed to be writing this with a very clear morality, a sense of right & wrong, good & evil, but could still sympathetically portray characters at all points of that spectrum.

It does get shitty in the second season for a while, while they're figuring out how to keep the show going after solving the central mystery. But it's worth sticking it out through the filler scenes for all the Black Lodge/White Lodge stuff towards the end.

Disregard that "a" before "charming".

There's a fine line between intentionally making a tongue in cheek show that's full of cliches and just making a bad show. Season 2 not only crossed that line, they sprinted as fast as they could away from it.

Anyone that likes season two and acts like "dude it's so weird!" is a complete and utter moron that should be chemically castrated. The show stopped being weird and quirky and just became bland and boring. We went from having a guy in the background moonwalking to a beauty contest played straight.

The movie was the best thing to happen to the show. It was a great pallet cleanser for that abortive time wasting second half of the second season. Fuck. You.

You people are just memers that think you have to like twin peaks because it's currently a popular nerdy cult show that is getting another season. You aren't in on it, you're an outsider scratching at the window wishing someone would let you in. No.

Were the spiritual aspects Manichaean or Gnostic? Starts out like the first, like "there is an eternal war between spiritual good and spiritual evil". But then we never see a real difference between the Black and White Lodge, which is all about that Gnostic "good and evil spiritual forces are the same and we got to get used to it" shit.

and the co-creator Mark Frost is a hardcore nerd for mystical Christian offshoot theologies and Masonic lore which influenced a lot of the series.

Don't worry, it'll be cool to hate it after season 3 gets popular.

Dude, no one likes season 2 past Leland's death.
You are complaining about a group of people that don't exist

OP here. I can confirm I hate everything after Laura's Murderer is discovered. I'm still gonna watch it, though.

any good torrents?

>this scenes comes in

youtube.com/watch?v=B62P6Gm9jpE

through the darkness of future's past
the magician longs to see
one chants out between two worlds
"FIRE WALK WITH ME"

I wouldn't say either, really. Definitely not Manichean. The characters seem to experience and categorize their interactions with higher powers in terms of "good" and "evil," but they never fully understand what they're dealing with, and neither does the audience.

From what we see of the "gods" of this area, they seem to be individuals with their own personalities & motivations. Some of them are more malicious than others, but they're not really forces of good or evil, they're just characters that operate on a different plane of existence.

The Secret History of Twin Peaks really plays up the good/light vs. evil/darkness thing though

Tremayne wasn't charming, he made viewers want to punch him

Haven't read it. You could be right, I'm just giving my own take on what I saw on the show. I think they leave enough mystery & unanswered questions on the topic to allow multiple interpretations.

I think the show draws very clear lines on human morality, but it seems to get a little more complicated when the "gods" get involved. It's hard to say whether Leland Palmer is good or evil, because he got caught up in something bigger & more complicated than himself.

Season 1 is both comfy af and spooky as hell
Season 2 is ok until about episode 11, then gets shit until the finale (which is kino)
FWWM is cool, I liked it a lot and appreciate Lynchs fuck you to people who wanted closure.

You can tell who the casuals are by those who have never heard of, much less seen, FWWM

excited for season 3

Everything after they solve her murder was complete fucking garbage