Who was the better host?

Who was the better host?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t8Qq_06zHX4
youtube.com/watch?v=aOTVEdjqxFg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well considering letterman basically ripped off carson, I would say carson

You're a fucking moron. Letterman idolized Carson but Late Night was the absolute opposite of the Tonight Show by design.

inb4 some hipster fag says conan

Letterman is Carson's spiritual successor. Fuck leno 2bh

Carson is THE late night host. Letterman was muh dog tho.

carson retired 25 years ago

how old do you have to be to remember?

I was born the same year Carson retired, so I've only watched him through a detached lens.

Obviously Carson was a pioneer of that television format, but Letterman was very much "my" Late Night host. So I would say I prefer Letterman but I was never around for Carson's heyday when literally everyone watched his show every night. Kinda wish I was.

Kino

Kilborn was great too.

Letterman was comfy, but you just know he fucked tranny hookers while on meth every friday night

youtube.com/watch?v=t8Qq_06zHX4

I'm in my 30s and remember him.

Carson's style was much more classical, where Letterman was more alternative, having Andy Kaufman on all the time and everything.

Carson seemed classically cool, whereas Letterman's whole thing was really showing active contempt for television and so he was cool in a different, ironic way.

I appreciate both for what they are, although I liked how weird Letterman could be.

motherfucker im not 60 i dont remember johnny

Conan's hijinks and interviews made him without a doubt /ourguy/.

I don't think I ever saw an awkward interview with him. Even now that he's fallen I still like him the best.

PIC RELATED

NO CONTEST

Kilborn wasn't even the best Late Late Show host named Craig.

>I love salsa, nachos are just the vehicle by which they enter my mouth

fuck off m8, that scottish cool guy is a close second but nobody is equal to kilborn's antics, he was a genuine treasure and should still be on air desu

people would lose their fucking minds if someone like him had a show these days, dude gave no fucks about fee fees whatsoever

there will never be another late night host as based as based craig kilborn, you stupid underage faggot, never reply to my posts again

I'm 33 and never seen a Carson interview, do you just watch them on Youtube?

Arsenio. There isn't enough divershitty in late night anymore.

The only thing I really laughed at was when he did the alternate name for shit.

Dunno why, by the rolling camera and him saying Meatmaster was great.

Not him but there were still reruns when I was a lad, only 31 here.

I watch youtube clips though, at the time I was just a kid watching things because they were on tv.

Man, talk about guys who just dipped the fuck out. I'm sure he made his money.

I'm 39 and he retired just before I was allowed to stay up to watch. I did like Leno, Letterman and Conan.

Didn't he try to make a comeback and fail a few years ago?

Nah dude. When i was little my mom worked late so my dad and i would stay up and watch carson and trashy age inapropriate movies.
I remember being sad when he left.

The only Craig Kilborn fan.

Carson was the god of the business

letterman is the best of those alive

leno, and everyone on now is an absolute hack

Maybe, but he must have failed quickly and gracefully. I never hear of him even doing meme appearances.

Do you wanna hear my impression of Johnny Carson's nine eleven call?

>Negrodamus, will Arsenio Hall ever have a television show again?
>Yes, it will be called "Good Morning Black America" and air daily at 12:00 noon
his pavarotti shit used to fuck me up, but i really liked almost everything he did once he took over, he really knew how to handle late night imo, only the other craig has come close to that sort of understanding, and he did pretty well with his own style too

need more loose hosts instead of this uptight tryhard generation who basically turned late night into daytime television except the sun isn't out anymore and they're busy pandering to a crowd that isn't really there

I'm older than you are and still most of my memories of Carson are of trying not to fall asleep watching him because I was waiting for Letterman to come on

Alright, Norm.

I remember craigers from the daily show, his lete night show never clicked for me becsuse of that i think.

i'm alright with this

>tfw patrician among the plebs

it's a good feel
his daily show stint was what made me follow him to late late, where he did much better imo

sucks he pretty much JUST'd himself afterwards

God a Norm Macdonald tonight show would be so fucking funny.

Just him bullying all his guests and mocking their plugs. He would be the final boss of the late show circuit.

My dad used to let me watch all the R movies in the 80s with him, when I was a kid. I remember watching Cheech and Chong's Next Movie, as a child. I thought Pee Wee was funny. All the drug and sex jokes went over my head, for the most part. It was just nice to be with my dad.
>I remember being sad when he left.
Really? Are you trying to make me sad?

He'd be the new Letterman if he did that.

Letterman used to be the king. It's too bad he mellowed out, or stopped giving a shit later on.

I don't think he ever mellowed out, he just stopped giving a shit after Leno started kicking his ass in the ratings.

Came here to post this man. Best talk show host bar none.

Am I the only one who never though Leno was funny? Like I started to ironically enjoy him after awhile and his interviews were ok I guess, but he was such a formulaic shitter.

I mean when carson left. My dad's still around. Its his birthday next week.

I don't know anyone that thought Leno was funny. He's a show stealing hack. You'll notice when he finally did retire for good no one gave a shit.

Oh. That's good.

The reason Leno is SO hated, is because apparently, he used to be a really funny and respected stand-up act. There's a really famous Bill Hicks bit where he absolutely trashes Jay, but it's because he used to like Jay, but he sold out hard.

youtube.com/watch?v=aOTVEdjqxFg

>but he sold out hard
D O R I T O S
O
R
I
T
O
S

Leno also wouldn't let Bill Hicks perform is abortion bit on The Tonight Show. That made Hicks angry, so he went on Letterman's show to do it, but Letterman didn't air it either.

Years later, Letterman had Hicks mother on and apologized to her for not airing her son's act, then finally did air it.

That's true, but the point is, at the time, no one would air it, and it was stupid of Hicks to be mad at Jay.

carson mentored letterman,then leno jewed letterman,just lik he jewed connan.

I stopped watching new late night shows last year when everybody stopped doing traditional monologues and started doing FUCK TRUMP LOL every night. I've been watching 80s late night shows on Youtube and they're still enjoyable.

Carson was the gold standard of traditional hosts but Letterman really revolutionized the genre. You can thank him for the wacky stunts that others, most notably Conan, adapted later on. Howard Stern often complained that Carson hosted the same show every night and he pretty much did. For my money Letterman is the best ever.

There was an hbo movie years ago about the late night wars. Leno's manager was a thundercunt of epic proportions.

She was but then she died and Leno was still a slimy little weasel.

david letterman was never funny, jay leno wasn't great either but he was better at telling jokes and was more present during the interviews, letterman was very often on autopilot. leno writers created better sketches/segments than letterman's.

craig ferguson had the best interviews by far but the rest of his show was too repetitive, if you watched him too many nights in a row you'd go crazy, he'd do the same god damn shit 10 shows in a row

conan has the best "remote" segments but he's very overrated and got way too much sympathy in the tonight show ordeal, the low ratings were ultimately his fault and NBC is a business, they can't be sentimental about it, also he walked away from it with over 30 million dollars, i'm not losing any sleep over how "unfairly" he was treated. conan relies too much on self-deprecation and his whole persona just kind of irks me, i wish he'd just calm down a little bit or something

jimmy fallon is really bad at telling jokes, his interviews are okay, he clearly got the job because he's a soulless ask-kisser company-man sell-out

colbert has good delivery and a sharp wit, i don't know if the late show is really the right format for him, i'm sure a lot of letterman's viewers got turned off by the show getting taken over by left-wing politicking, i heard he has shit ratings

james corden is a fat faggot

jimmy kimmel got btfo by kanye and i haven't been able to take him seriously ever since, there's so much lowbrow shit on his show, his man on the street segments are made for retards, this viral shit or whatever, i just imagine the most retarded people watching jimmy kimmel

trevor noah is a great standup, they should've ended the daily show when jon stewart left though

i've never watched that samantha bee shit but it seems like it's exactly what you'd expect, aka shit

johnny carson's ok