The US is manufacturing at an all-time high

The US is manufacturing at an all-time high.
Why does Trump pretend it's not?

Many of our trade pacts are to the benefit of our exports.
If we were to dissolve them, it would not only hurt our exports directly, but also provide an opportunity for other countries to absorb that market, creating pacts to further weaken our exports.

Why does Trump constantly blast trade partnerships that are to the advantage of companies in the US?

Other urls found in this thread:

marketwatch.com/story/us-manufacturing-dead-output-has-doubled-in-three-decades-2016-03-28
fred.stlouisfed.org/series/OUTMS)
youtube.com/watch?v=3NqG2lAojNQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

kys, all production is done overseas, we are a primitive economy.

>The US is manufacturing at an all-time high.
>no source
Stopped reading here.

our economy is nearly identical to one of the 1500's.

Is that what Trump told you?

I really shouldn't spoon feed you but here's a source

marketwatch.com/story/us-manufacturing-dead-output-has-doubled-in-three-decades-2016-03-28

So then why do we have a trade deficit?

It doesn't matter if we are producing more stuff, which I am still unsure because they measure output by "volume", which can probably mean literally anything.
We aren't producing enough, that's the point.

because 99% of voters are too goddamn stupid to sort out the bullshit when it comes to trade deals

why do you think Trump gives a fuck about anything besides publicity?

i provided a source. i could provide more (fred.stlouisfed.org/series/OUTMS)

The US has a trade deficit because we, as Americans, consume a lot. There are many things that we won't start manufacturing (like toys or clothes...or hats). The fact that we don't export as much as we import doesn't mean we aren't manufacturing and exporting at record highs.

I agree we should increase manufacturing, but as you can see that's already happening. It won't save jobs in manufacturing because the future is in automation. And terminating trade pacts will only hurt our ability to compete.

Even if he believed it, it would still be wrong. He's successfully duping a lot of people with stupid made-in-america hats as if the future of manufacturing for a first world country is in clothing.

Shitty example since Boeing has mostly moved offshore.

I mostly chose it because it's a cool picture but it's actually a good example because they are the largest per dollar exporter in the USA and still do most of their manufacturing in the US, though not all.

Ultimately, my point wasn't about boeing or oversees manufacturing. Growth in US manufacturing has been really solid. Trump's rhetoric about bringing manufacturing back to the US is misleading.

>China became the leading manufacturing economy in the world in 2010
All I had to read t b h
Make America Great Again

All of politics is built on untrue memes which are repeated again and again
That's all the democrats have been running on for like 70+ years now

OP is a fucking shill using misleading arguments. Output may have increased but the number of actual JOBS has dropped considerably.

>l-look guys manufacturing is almost back to 2005 levels!

Are you fucking serious?

>Making a plane with 6 wings
they need better quality control at Boeing

The U.S. is already projected to retake its spot as the biggest manufacturer because it has preferable conditions to China in every category but labor costs and the combination of rising wages in China and increasingly cheap automation have eroded the advantage that China had. Right now we are just dealing with supply chain inertia but China is quite frankly fucked and the U.S. is looking good (although it could lose out to Mexico if it makes a wrong move)

Manufacturing jobs on the other hand will continue to decrease anyway as productivity increases.

Bringing back manufacturing could create more high end jobs though because lots of innovation happens at the plant level now.

t. I work in automation

Blah blah blah.

Race baiting Obama
And white privilege blm pandering shillary are fucked. gg

It's a new version.

Yes, exactly. Manufacturing output has increased and this is good for large enterprises and financial institutions (aka military industrial complex). There is an inherent relationship between this trend and the increase in wealth disparity in the US.

At the same time, the manufacturing jobs have decreased rapidly over the past 20 years, hence the shrinking of the American middle class.

Sure,the US has shifted from a manufacturing to a service-based economy. However, the collective growth of the subcategories in the service industry have not offset the losses in manufacturing.

To put this childish argument to rest, just look at the appalling trend of the labor participation rate over the same 20 years that we shifted from mfg to svc. The one-two punch of the dot-com bust and loosing so many mfg jobs just fucking killed the American middle class.

Poke holes, fucktard.

This is actually largely due to a skills gap. There are lots of unfilled jobs in the U.S. that those men could be doing if they were willing to go where the opportunity is but instead they went and studied history or some dumb shit expecting to have a six figure management position waiting for them.

Not entirely accurate. There is a skills gap, but there are not as many unfulfilled jobs as the US Secretary of Labor would have you believe, once he has a break from wiping Obama jizz from his chin.

The tactic used by the current administration is to conflate government (federal and state) jobs with free market. No other administration has done this before. It is a way to plump up the job growth figures to make things look rosier.

But who pays for those jobs? Is that really economic growth?

Same here. OP doesn't know what the fuck he/she is talking about. The US already gave away the jewels on China ebay. Now we have to live with it. The British aren't far behind though... laughing out loud today when I saw that China bought ARM. I didn't laugh too loud though, because my company just invested everything in ARM products.

>all time high
>boeing

fuck you shill
manufacturing jobs are all gone now
only special snowflakes work at boeing and other defense contractors
>shilling for the tpp

good fucking goddamn you are one sleazy piece of shit
why shill for that shit here? did you think Sup Forums is in charge of anything and needs you to lobby here with your bullshit your transparent bullshit

Huh? Softbank bought ARM

I agree america is still great like always . Our economy has grew alot and our gdp is now fucking higher than all of eu countries and uk . God bless america , we will always be the best . It doesnt matter if its democrats or republicans.

or snakes in the grass. We will ALWAYS be great!

Internal consumption. The US is producing more stuff, but it is consuming fuckloads more than it produces. The only countries without trade deficits are countries that don't have strong domestic economies.

Want to solve the trade deficit? Make everyone live like Vietnamese workers.

>manufacturing at an all time high
>country has recently recorded the highest ever trade deficit

Pick one and only one you autistic libtard.

They are competition. If we dissolve current trade pacts, they have an advantage and are able to form one's that currently we're protected against.

I'm not debating that. jobs will continue to drop. The future is in automation. We need less workers. And the the value per worker has risen dramatically. We aren't competing for the ability to manufacture hats. If people want to make high wages, then the types of manufacturing we do will reflect that: medicine, technology, vehicles, etc. Complicated tasks, all of which require either expensive people or expensive robots. Inevitably there will be less workers. This is the same in Germany, which all politics aside, is pretty impressive from a manufacturing standpoint. Jobs will drop, but our manufacturing capability will continue to grow.

source

give me a real response if you're capable.

Job growth just won't be in the manufacturing sector. maybe occasionally, but that doesn't mean there won't be continued job growth in other sectors.

I gave sources. If you think I don't know what I'm talking about feel free to provide some sources showing that it hasn't increased...

im actually not for the tpp, but I do think many of our current trade pacts benefit us tremendously (ei: ever wonder why all our pickup trucks are american?)

I guess its asking to much that now you have been proven wrong to shut the fuck up and stop shilling on Sup Forums

God dam i want a civil war across the western world so bad.

no need to be a dick.

the reason why that's happening is because we import more than we export. We're still exporting more than we ever have.

Look at a graph, imports and exports have both risen. Very consistently.

>civil war across the western world so bad.
Who would bomb who in your fantasy just out of curiosity?

Ever god dam person with dyed hair or darker than a paper bag.

Could you be more obvious?

sshhh, he is trying to win. He doesn't give a fuck about the details. He is in it to WIN.

hillary eats babies

>BLM are shooting up police
>ISIS are inspiring attackers in western nation
>Hillary is a passionless cunt.
>Globalization is raping nations.
>mass immigration and open boarders being pushed by the left.

Yeah lets talk about how manufacturing is at an all time high. Its just happening in china is all. No biggy whatever. Evert hings fine and dandy

Interesting read. It's good to see some halfway serious discussion on Sup Forums for once.

The really good stuff that America consumes insatiably is in Taiwan. We should be making that distinction since Taiwan is actually a free country right now even though China has different plans for it.

Also, I was wrong on earlier post. Japan company is buying ARM. Sorry.

Oh for once because you have been here for ever right.

Fuck off Cunt.

I'm using your source retard.

Why is this thread still up?

Wouldn't steady inflation account for the rise in monetary volume of import/export?

do you recken liberals will be pissed when they start to see what a monster she really is?
or will they just ignore it and tow the party line like business as usual?

>SoftBank
Jerry beans! Hai Hai

So.... why not decrease importation of manufactured goods through protective tariffs and increase domestic manufacturing to create a steady job market and decrease trade deficit? How is Trump wrong that we need more domestic industry?

She has a D next to her name so she's automatically better than anyone with an R to them

it's increasing in both countries. My point is that Trump's talk about bringing it back has no factual basis and dissolving trade pacts would only damage our ability to export. There are many products we can't/won't manufacture here and those will still be imported. It'll increase trade deficit because any company manufacturing in the US will be worse off when exporting.

At least one burger isn't ignorant of economics
Keep educating the others.

Trump's entire clothing line is manufactured in Mexico, he's a complete hypocrite.

Enjoy your sheep pussy.

Take the cock out of your mouth and read the thread fuck face.

Why the fuck is unemployment so high then? And why do they push this "service based economy" to replace manufacturing

m-muh all-time high

Could you provide data to support your claim

Didnt Obama start counting macdonalds burger flippers as being a part of the manufacturing jobs sector at some point during his presidency.

>Boeing

Boeing is a more of a systems integrator now

They outsourced so much of their production of the 787 that they had serious problems and had to re-learn their lesson regarding China.

Yeah but manufacturing of what? Cheap shit that can be easily automated

All manufacturing jobs requiring skill and that would pay well are overseas being done substandardly by people who are basically slaves

youtube.com/watch?v=3NqG2lAojNQ

I already did, aussieanon

US/China looks really similar to the acceptance of weed in the US graph no? I think we gave up and are heading toward free-love. Not a bad thing, but will require adjustment to the new overlords.

>the future is automation

That may be true but what do you suggest all those people do who depend on that work?

We can't just all be intellectuals because there would be too many

What do we do when because of automation there is a shortage of jobs that pay more than barely minimum?

>Believing that you can actually build the wall.
Burger, please.

So when trade Deficit = largest on record then manufacturing is not keeping pace with economy.

True or False

its a good point.

my feeling is that similar counter-tariffs will be placed against us by other countries and furthermore it opens up opportunities for countries to create new pacts with our adversaries.

we'd be giving up a pretty big advantage.

I'd like more domestic industry as well but I think the domestic industry that would result from his policies is not one that anyone would want.

They need to learn new skills. Innovation doesn't wait for anyone and benefits society as a whole.
No need to be a luddite.

If we're lucky, we won't have to see it.
Libcucks would probably just continue to see the world through their rose colored glasses & smartphone AR camera lenses though.

The only reason it is high is because of the petrochemical industry and only because of cheap natural gas due to fracking. Since our great leaders got rid of the oil export ban, it'll be tougher for domestic manufacturers to compete.

Also why must one compete? Produce what a country needs within the country. It's entirely possible with current technology. We don't need to be dependent on other countries for things we should be making for ourselves

The "global economy" is a ticking time bomb that benefits only the most wealthy. Aside from natural resources and some food I think that economic borders need to close

Not the ones *you* want

[citation needed]

because of automation and shifting industry.

there are less jobs. Republicans or Democrats can't fix that. Robots are becoming less expensive and workers are becoming more expensive. The rate of return for switching to automation will be better as years go on. There's a lot of money to be made in manufacturing, but admittedly less jobs.

>Not understanding comparative advantages.
>Not understanding the benefits that free trade brings.
Leaf, please. Of course corruption should be punished.

We need to focus on securing domestic prosuction of consumer technology. Could you imagine Apple products that say "Designed AND MANUFACTURED in California" instead of "Designed in California, manufactured in China"? If we produced popular consumer technology and protected the competitivness of Silicon Valley, the US would stay a technological powerhouse

>need less workers
>jobs will drop

So what do we do with those "excess" people? Send them to China? Give them free food and housing off the back of those who are working? Just kill them?

it's kind of the other way around as I see it.

Jobs that require skill are expensive, which makes robotic replacement viable.

Jobs that require very little skill are cheap, but even cheaper in other countries, making them no longer an option in the US.

Manufacturing in a first world country is a huge opportunity for engineering and science. We can pave the way for a future where America is ahead of the game.

The loss of cheap labor jobs like sewing to third world countries isn't something we can avoid, even by increasing tariffs.

Indeed. Although you enjoy cheaper and more efficiently produced products.
The invisible hand is amoral, the market (Individuals) makes the decisions. And they seem to prefer cheaper manufactures.

Your industries will adapt and your labour force will learn new skills, it has always been like this.

I know your sad but, don't worry. It'll have an open gate for you to come in legally.

If you have a closed loop economy you can use surplus human resources to develop mega infrastructure projects or increase the size of your military / public sector services.

Which is good for you in Mexico but not good for Joe Blogs in America. That's the point of Trump and why he is so popular.

I don't wish to live in the USA, thanks for the offer.
That wall would be an enormous white elephant

Who do you care about more globalist? The well being of the people or the well being of the corporations (and those that run them)?

You know what the best thing is economically? Repeal the 13th amendment and use literal slave labour to beat China. Would net a lot of profits but the people wouldn't see a hell of a lot

It's a race to the bottom. The best way to win is to take the high road and boycott places like China that pay shit. Of course globalists are never about the high road unless it's the most profitable... For them

It is good for everyone on the long run. Why is it so difficult for people to think about the future?

There is no guarantee that consumption of goods will stay the same though. As wages stagnate and the cost of living rises, people will be forced to finance luxary goods more, and what happens when millions of people start defaulting on their loans/mortgage/credit bills?

Or, or, crazy idea, but, what if, we let individuals (Like you and me) modify market trends?

We were the first country to remove tariff on everything complete free trade. We are just a giant dairy farm now and social mobility has ceased.

Why?

Because no one can compete with third world labour to produce what we need and extract a higher wage from top end consumers.

If people could flow like capital from one part of the planet to the other without suicide bombings, snack bars and kill whitey then i would probably be less hostile to the concept.

>Trump's entire clothing line is manufactured in Mexico, he's a complete hypocrite.
Wouldn't that help actually prove his point, as a real businessman who has to go overseas to make his product?

Advantages and benifits for who?

Sure as hell not the people as a whole if you compare what my parents and grandparents could do versus my life

There are a lot more important things than the greed fuelled race to the bottom. Because of open economic borders we no longer have full control of our own nations

You need to increase your productivity, that's how wages rise. Poor countries can increase it with it ease (Easy to go from 0 to something).
Crises are natural of capitalism, we just try to make them smaller and be prepared for them.

You need to invest in high tech, your country should actually have the capital for that.

>If people could flow like capital from one part of the planet to the other without suicide bombings, snack bars and kill whitey then i would probably be less hostile to the concept.
I agree with your sentiments.

>'Le old the past was always better.
Don't confuse economic policies with political policies and other social problems. You should reduce your welfare state

Closed loop I kind of like and would push towards.

Much infrastructure and building I can see won't be easily automated. It would be nice to go to the moon and colonize it just because we can

Military if we make our people patriotic again would be a good one. Would give us an upper hand in space too if we were the first to bring guns along

Public sector I'm iffy on. Many of those jobs are just service based and service based government jobs aren't useful or economically driving in the long run and are exactly what the government does now to make unemployment seem "not so bad"

How do you increase productivity with unchecked low skill immigration, an increased automation and outsourcing of manufacturing, and a reliance on the service industry for employment?

>Many of our trade pacts are to the benefit of our exports.
Nice try. You think Mexicans buy our planes? They're fucking destitute, both financially and morally.

We do and it is successful but the problem is always that half the population is going to be more stupid than the other half.
High Tech is good but it doesn't provide jobs for your country it just outsources production to another.

>I agree with your sentiments.
Unfortunately the geniuses in charge of our nations decided to import millions of shitskinned savages who can only work menial jobs in an effort to undercut wages and now we have to deal with them shitting up the place.

I would be opposed to that

If people could flow like capital that would destroy the sovereignty of nations just like free flow of capital did

Congratulations you just put the 1% in charge of the world

Multiculturalism and free people movement is already proving to be damaging

>economic policies don't cause social problems

Ok so we erase our borders and governments and it's all unicorn and rainbow global land

Because the trade position of the US matters. Unfortunately, the trade position of the US cannot be solely shifted by American policies.

China, Japan, and Germany need to shift their own policies to accommodate increased American exports without causing a massive economic downturn. In the case of China and Japan, they really can't shift their own policies because of domestic political problems. Germany, on the other hand, simply won't change their policies basically solely on the mulishness of their elites.

Above all, we need someone to make a deal with these countries such that they can create a domestic consumer economy, to allow the US to reverse its declining trade position. This is why I vote Trump, because Trump knows when to bargain and when to walk away.

Make no mistake, the US has the most valuable commodity in the global economy these days: Consumption. There can be no GDP growth without consumption, and the next *six* largest economies don't have anywhere near enough domestic consumption to absorb their exports. This puts the US in a place of considerable leverage over these countries.

Most components that are for american products are not made in america anymore. This counts for almost 85% of all imports now. In the 1950 to until 1980s, america made about 75% of all its goods. All that business, all those jobs are gone now. They aren't coming back because those businesses which once were once under the rules of capitalism are now controlling the governments policies.

The USA no longer makes the minerals needed for modern high tech electronics due to the insane policy of labeling Thorium as source material for nuclear weapons. Rare earth extraction is uneconomical because the mining company has the liability of dealing with 'source material' for nuclear weapons, and the government won't allow them to just put it back in the ground where they found it.

That bit of stupidity costs the USA trillions each year.