Live action GITS this year

>live action GITS this year
>Blade Runner sequel this year
>live action Akira in the works

So we cyberpunk now huh

cyberpunk general?

Its just another niche aesthetic that Hollywood will bastardize, monetize, and eventually dump the corpse in a dumpster.

Who knows, maybe we could get some kino out of this. 99% of westerns are really dumb but we still have The Dollars Trilogy, Once Upon A Time in the West, No Country for Old Men, etc

Hasn't Akira been in development hell for over a decade?

>Fresh off his mega-successful directorial debut, “Get Out,” Jordan Peele is now been courted by Warner Bros. to helm the live-action adaptation of the iconic cyberpunk manga “Akira,” as reported by The Tracking Board. According to the site, the studio is moving “aggressively” to seal the deal with the comedian-turned-filmmaker, and the talks seem “encouraging.”

>massive cyberpunk fan
Not like this, though
Not like this

Akira seems so specific to Japan that I think they'll only be able to adapt it on a surface level.

The only way we get kino out of these movies is if we get actual artists creating them who don't let marketing boardrooms make decisions for them.

I have hope for BR2, but to be complete honest it isn't something I ever wanted and retroactively ruins the biggest mystery of the original film. I hate to be such a downer because I'm a fan of cyberpunk, but I have no confidence in modern big budgets.

>corporations encroaching more and more on your private life
>possibly under surveillance by government 24/7
>literally every where you go has internet access
>endless wars fought solely in order to fuel economic interests
>electing a reality TV star as president
>automation slowly but surely taking jobs
>counter culture figures are hacker collectives and wikileaks

Why go to the movies when real life is cyberpunk enough?

Probably, since that's exactly what happened to GITS

I'm not ready

Probably right though I think Tetsuo's anger and powerlessness (and eventual self destruction though his gaining power) could serve as a great metaphor for young black american men...if it's handled well.

Which it probably won't be.

Shut up and eat your nutrient paste

>tfw Cyberpunk is retro
We're post-cyberpunk now...

Wasn't Leo attached at one point?

This seems like Neuromancer or Wheel of Time, something that studios keep getting the rights to but never get made

>Laser pointer -hassle people in dark places

we may live in the future but it's boring. people want an escape.

yaaaas

haha yeah like airline pilots

>GITS
>Blade Runner
>Akira
>cyberpunk
wew

Mute too

this is a long spoilers sentence to just tell you that here is your (you)

You mean like what they already did in the 90s

forgot about alita, user

>still no affordable cyber-implants

that's like the only positive of a cyberpunk setting

Hypothetical rhetorical question: would you rather carry a man-purse, or look like a cutter with a bunch of prone-to-infection huge lumps under your scars?

...And that's why we live in the future but don't have implants.

>>automation slowly but surely taking jobs
But this will only create jobs user.

What do you mean? "Biohackers" and the like put implants in themselves from time to time. It's just that these implants aren't terribly useful and have better alternatives.

Duncan Jone's Mute is cyberpunk too....this really is the year of cyberpunkino huh

shitty system shock 2 movie when?

Guillermo del Toro on psychic death monkeys

>still no Deus Ex movie
>instead we got another Hitman movie and another Tomb Raider movie

Fucking Square, I would be fine with a tv show too or anime

yes and it's great

but i bet normies will ruin the genre