Star wars

Why is the empire the bad guys and rebels the good guys or even vice versa in the prequel trilogy? Why what makes the empire evil?
Why can't we ever root for the empire?
Are the rebels just terrorists ousted from control of the galactic govt?

This is my problem with star wars because good vs evil kind of kills it for me especially since what if people actually want the empire to win and why does the empire always have to be evil, what if the empire was led by Jedi and went after with led rebels but was still similar to the empire seen in the film with no distinction made between good or evil.

The empire blew up a planet to give a fuck you to their captive even after she cooperated. That is pretty evil my dude. Also evil space wizard controls it.

>The empire blew up a planet

Self-defense.

>we have no weapons

>princess betrays the rebellion to save her planet
>blow up her planet away because muh fireworks show

Yeah but that planet had deep political and significance for the rebels. I mean c'mon, it's just one planet out of a whole Galaxy that the empire controls. The civilians were necessary losses like little ants. It's like killing one fraction of a person on Earth that has whatever interests of space terrorists.

A political problem requires a political solution. As the movie noted (and per Vader's opinions on the Death Star and planet-killer superweapons in general), it only conflated a small issue into a fuckhuge problem and mutated a certainty of military reality to an uncertain and catastrophic war.

why is that evil? the planet was harboring terrorists. the empire has no duty to protect anyone who is not part of their empire.

if the empire could save even one imperial citizens life by vaporizing a planet, then it was worth it.

Well that's just a tactical mishap but the whole "empire is evil" thing is pretty gay, my dude.

>Who is the bigger fool, the fool or the fool who follows him?

It's so hecking lame how we always have to root for the rebels of choose the rebels because rebels are "duh good guys" and the imperals are "zee bad guys". Why is it always so objective with distinctions?
What if what is "bad" is entirely necessary to rule a galactic hecking govt.

Exterminating an entire town because insurgents are active there is considered an atrocity in the civilized world. Even strategic bombing of enemy population centers isn't really tolerated anymore.

the Empire is evil because it's technological, militaristic, imperialistic (by definition), irreligious and anti-human.

exactly what the Democratic Party has become

Baby's first thread outside Sup Forums

Think proportionally, this isn't bombing some wedding in Yemen. We're looking at trillions upon trillions of planets and a GALACTIC govt that has to keep it's people in check otherwise imagine anarchy at a galactic scale

>Implying any of this is bad in a GALACTIC empire

>The empire blew up a planet
It was to make way for a hyperspace bypass

Luke Skywalker has alot more in common with al-qaeda and the Taliban than he does with "freedom fighters"

>Betrays her planet
>Names a defunct system as a tactic to allow her people to at least escape before the Death Star returns.

Also, she probably recognized that sacrificing Alderaan was still a lesser price to pay than suffering the Death Star to stick around any longer.

>The civilians were necessary losses like little ants.

"Collateral damage" in terms of civilian lives lost is the language of sociopaths and megalomaniacs.

If you were the administration within this absolutely colesul govt it would be proportionate to losing like a window from a single house on Earth.

Think of this way.

The Galactic Empire is the Union.

The Rebel Alliance is the Confederacy.

Of course the Rebels are the good guys!

An entire planet's population isn't that insignificant, even on a galactic civilization's scale.

>some wedding in yemen

No, it's much worse than that, it's like putting every soul in a small town to the firing squad just because insurgents tend to be active there. If you need to commit atrocities like that to stay in power you've lost legitimacy, and it's just a downward spiral of ever tightening authoritarianism. Assuming the old Republic would have broken up even without the subversive activities of Sheev, the (for lack of a better term) international system of diplomatic relations that would have resulted would almost certainly be better than the Empire.

If you're not rooting for the Empire on Star Wars, there's something wrong with you. The Empire has the only cool characters in the whole series.

We're supposed to not care about them because they're space fascists and they'll support killing of civilians to make a point (sound familiar?), BUT the Empire has way more style and that counts for something.

Vader is one of the most iconic cool villains to have ever existed. The Rebs are quite drab and boring by comparison

Who gosh hecking cares, the point of this post is why must we be reminded so much about the whole "good vs evil" bs because that's so lame to have objective good guys vs bad guys in anything.

The empire is so cool and we have bunch of loser space jihadis messing up the peace of the Galaxy anyways.
Oh wow look at how all the non model world's for the empire are these absolutely decadent or uninhabited world's that bred terrorists like bunnies. Really makes you think

The whole star wars concept of good vs bad is just so dumb desu, the empire is cool as cats.

>millennial people problems

SAD

You know nothing. War has its own rules. There are two ways to decisively defeat a guerilla army:

1) Relocate the local civilian population to concentration camps, denying the guerillas their resupply and recruitment base. The British learned this in the Boer War.

2) Kill the local civilian population, denying the guerillas their resupply and recruitment base. Often employed in combination with 1.

If either of these strategies upsets you, then you should never support the strategy of guerrilla warfare, which is what necessitates these defensive strategies in the first place.

When one side of a war hides behind civilians, civilians are going to die. War has its own rules. Deal with it.

I hear the new battlefront game is gonna have a campaign following the empire's side.

By the way they phrased it it's not even gonna have them turncoat or renounce anything. The protagonist seems to be really in to the empire n' stuff

Wow really? I remember people complaining because they thought it was just going to be more bad guy turns good nonsense. I hope you're right.

You don't need to deal with guerilla warfare if your government has legitimacy and the people themselves deny guerillas a support base. You gain legitimacy by earning the trust of the governed that you will deal with them fairly.

The people governed by the Empire care. It's not about good vs. evil, it's about whether the bulk of Imperial citizens trust that the Empire won't exploit them economically, interfere with their daily lives, or wipe out their home planet because the Empire finds it convenient.

She seemed pretty in to it.

There's a bit where she shouts "AVENGE OUR EMPEROR" and she looks really sad when she sees the death star blow up.

She also punches rebel scum in the face and looks all happy when she's being addressed by some kind of higher up.

One of the taglines is like "an untold story"

Absolutely based

Holy fuck, you just went full genocidal sociopath.

Hello Harry Lime.

>Martins: [on the ferris wheel] Have you ever seen any of your victims?
Harry: You know, I never feel comfortable on these sort of things. Victims? Don't be melodramatic. [gestures to people far below] Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax - the only way you can save money nowadays.

>the empire blew up a planet

US nuked a city. In doing that it probably saved hundreds of thousands of American lives. Some times the best thing to do isn't always the 'right' thing to do, and desperate times call for desperate measures.

>Saved hundreds of thousand american lives
How is that a good thing?

The [subject] [verb about killing] [object]. In doing that it probably saved hundreds of thousands of [nacionality] lives. Some times the best thing to do isn't always the 'right' thing to do, and desperate times call for desperate measures.

>You don't need to deal with guerilla warfare if your government has legitimacy and the people themselves deny guerillas a support base. You gain legitimacy by earning the trust of the governed that you will deal with them fairly.
Bullshit.

The Symbionese Liberation Army and the Weather Underground were operating in America in the 1970s with some Weathermen continuing into the 1980s. The Red Army Faction was operating in West Germany in the 1980s. Are all those states suddenly illegitimate?

Easy answer. No. The only time a state becomes illegitimate is when it stops defending itself, because that is when it will soon cease to exist. There's always going to be terrorists that need killing, and innocents are always going to get caught in the crossfire. Commies gonna Commie. Don't you have a helicopter to catch? Fuck off.

>cooperated

She lied and Tarkin immediately called her out on it.

>implying republicans are any better

We get it, you're contrarian.

They commit genocide within 20 minutes of the movie starting. They completely destroy a habitable planet, which is a crime we don't even have a name for. They are pretty Empire.

Don't worry Disney™ has added plenty of new progressive women of color you can root for.

The empire is dictatorship: free speech is forbidden, everyone has to worship the leader under threat of death. The rebels are like federation of different people who oppose above mentioned principles. It's more like constructive anarchy.