/capital/

This thread is for discussing capital life, culture, infrastructure, architecture and economy. Backwaters and flyovers are looked down here. All capitals welcome.

What if my city is technically not a capital, but is the metropolis and pretty much the only relevant city as far as economy goes?

What is the social status of your capital? Is it irrelevant and for gotten like our St. Petersburg?

It's a tiny irrelevant shithole with no culture, history or economy (literally their entire economy is just the government).

It was just chosen in order to not offend anybody.

Madrid here, my city 20 years ago used to be dodgy and tourist-less, It was beautiful and everything, but everyone preferred Barcelona (Tbh I agree) But nowadays is safer (full of cops 24/7) and It has improved a lot. More tourists now. But housing prices are getting higher so fml

people just hate on berlin because they are jealous

Not dissimilar to here in some ways, though DC has a lot of culture. It was placed in the South as part of a compromise between the North and South. Other than being the capital, it was pretty quiet until the 20th century. That's when the swamps were drained, people settled in, roads were built, and the city got many of its famous tourist attractions like the Smithsonian and the cherry trees.

he said capital, leafbitch

I live in DC, it's ok. The public transit is apparently really bad, I moved here from a backwoods town in Florida so I dunno.

nice meme

Berlin is ugly compared to other German cities

What if your capital is smaller that then your average Russian backwater?

I sat in a chair that Obama sat in once, that was kinda neat.

Forgot the fucking pic.

Took my girl on a dinner cruise up the Potomac and got this shot, its shitty because it was raining. Can't remember which monument that is.

May have a shitton of problems, but it's still the most iconic Italian city and it is quintessentially Italian, neither northern, nor southern, but simply Italian.

Our country is named after the capital, it's basically all hinterland for it.

pls nuke this "square"

holy shit, haha

Is there any city in the world that can beat Rome if you are a tourist? The only downside there are the tourists, prices and climate.

I honestly am a big fan of Paris, but I most also say that I think Rome has a lot more variety. Trastevere, Coppedé and EUR all offer a different experience from the archeological city center, while Paris is a lot more homogenuous with its Hausmannian architecture that is only absent around Rue Mouffetard and the modern areas in the limits of Paris, and may be more boring in the long run. But this homogeneity is also the strength of Paris, it is the reason why Paris looks so elegant after all.

Apart from Paris I don't think so, at least if we compare Rome with other big cities. Even Vienna doesn't offer as much as Paris and Rome.

"Only Paris is worthy of Rome, only Rome is worthy of Paris"

there is much more to a city than its fucking gdp

Prague is great too, especially on christmas

Does the rest of your country hate your city for stealing their money?

Dude your greatest sight is a currywurst stand

Prague is a second-tier city honestly.
It has literally nothing that I would define as "monumental", you can easily notice that it wasn't a capital like Vienna and Budapest.

>Inb4 it was the capital of the HRE
Not the same thing.

>southernmost capital of a sovereign state in the world
>most distant from any other capital
>world's windiest city

Why is Wellington so much more aesthetic than my shithole of a city.....
I swear to god the government spends all their money on the north island

Honestly, I'd love to travel to Ljubliana, it looks like a beautiful city.

NYC here. The city that ruins other cities for anyone because no city will ever be as abundant or efficient. I'm considering moving to a suburb nearby because the city can be too much sometimes. Rent really doesn't help either.

I didn't care for Rome. Ironically, it's other bumbling tourists that ruin it, and most of all the scammers on the street. I prefer Florence.