I don't get the negativity. I thought it was fine

I don't get the negativity. I thought it was fine.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Vkhj8Zv6Whk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's fucking boring.

It's Sesame Street for adult social retards.

Yeah. It's totally fine.

If you pull the thread on half the criticisms, it's people who think Will Wheaton is an actual cast member or they're triggered by all the time Patton spends interrupting the movies to read his anti-Trump tweets on a loudspeaker. Which is to say, it's just fussy people with full diapers who haven't even watched it.

As far as remake/reboots on Netflix go, the whole thing is lightyears better than shit like the Arrested Development return, but not as good as the Wet Hot American Summer series.

I'll never know. I'm not watching it, ever. This is a fact. Many others agree with my position.

It's not bad, it's just not particularly good. Two of the three riffers have no personality to them. The pacing of the jokes is way off.

There was a charm to it the first time that we'll never have back. It didn't help that I saw Rifftrax Live the night before, so I was reminded about how good the old hosts are.

Why? You don't like having fun?
Watched the show since I was a kid growing up in the midwest. It's not the same, but it's close enough

>I don't get the negativity.
Look around you.

It's a really fuckin' good comeback. Not perfect, but really good. Just like the old seasons, to anyone who hasn't glued their rose colored glasses to their faces.

It might have been the latest Star Wars films, but I think Thimbleweed Park was the straw that broke the Felicia's back. I'm just sick and tired of things I liked being re-interpreted through modern lenses. I don't want anymore. I don't find it fun

The pacing thing is very true In the span of ten seconds you get barraged with four jokes, and there's no room for any of them to breathe. The riffing used to be more about precision bombs.

Everyone complaining about too many jokes really needs to go back and watch episodes from like season 7 onwards.

They were just as frequent back then.

I agree. Not once have I felt like there were too many jokes, nor that their quality was suffering because of the pace. If the riffing had instead returned to the style of the Joel era, everyone would be (rightly) complaining that the jokes were too slow and too obscure to be funny.

I've seen people both argue there are too many jokes and that there's too much dead air.

You can't please everybody.

Almost like the issue is pacing

By biggest issue right now is Gypsy not being voice by a man badly trying to sound like a woman.

Episode 4 just had a Zelda reference.

That's what mst3k always was.

I think the biggest issue is this weird hodgepodge of "too much budget" and "not enough budget". Half of the fun of the original MST3k was that it HAD no budget because public access. Now you've got this weird situation where they're trying to appear low budget, but it's obvious they've got a ton of money and they're not really fooling anyone, and it just doesn't have the charm of the originals.

Even when the original moved to Comedy Central, they were still ridiculously low budget, and it showed.

This feels like the sort of chimeric production that most reboots are nowadays: Too much money, too much pandering, and too little heart.

shut up fag

Would it have been better if its was shot on shitty 90s video?

Sci fi era had a lot of budget though and it was still good

>it's just fussy people with full diapers who haven't even watched it.

Friendly reminder that original mst3k is autistic shit and if you genuinely like it you should kill yourself for being such an unfunny pleb.

A couple million dollars is still low budget for 14 episodes of a scripted TV show. And frankly, it shows, because the show looks as cheap and thrown-together as it always has, albeit with better tech.

Joel has talked about how since the beginning he wanted MST to be an ever-evolving thing like Dr. Who or SNL, with regular turnover of cast and staff. Had the show not gotten canned, we would've had a whole 'nother decade of seeing it change over time, and this season wouldn't seem as jarring to some people as it does.

Is he posing for a Youtube thumbnail?

NO IT IS NOT, PLEASE FUCK OFF WITH YOUR FAKE NEWS

Is the comedy closer to Mike or Joel's MST3k?

I need to know.

It's closer to Joel's comedy but with Mike's pacing.

Why are you this mad about something you're wrong about

Haven't seen it. The original mst3k wasn't funny either so this has no chance.

Feels like more MST3K to me.

Jonah's a better host than I expected and servo and crow are not bad once you get used to recast.
The movie picks have been great from what I've seen, no modern or generic bad movies like The Room.
Patton and Felica Day are probably the weakest parts but still fit with tone

Why are you being paid to shill this fucking garbage here?

Anyone else surprised by how decent a movie The Time Travelers actually was? Plot was better than it had any right to be, and the actors were actually pretty good. Just had poor effects really.

What did everyone think of the movie selection? The first half was pretty solid, good mix of monster movies, wtf and cheap sci-fi, but I had pretty rough time sitting through couple of the last ones.

I think limiting themselves to only movies available in widescreen (compared to old MST3K anyways) limited what they could do a bit more than I'd have liked.

Jonah dying in the last scene seemed off tone.

Except for older tv movies, most movies are shot on widescreen. Original MST3K was made for SD, 4:9 television so they would use the cropped versions.
Granted it still seems like they used movies that have gotten HD transfers

do you think there will be another season

with some beautiful grain and inconsistent quality control between shots

It's fine and like the old series. Considering it seemed like it was gonna be shit, that's a massive achievement.

I wonder how well it's doing because I can imagine the average netflix user that binge watches all their original stuff would be totally baffled by the concept

I was hoping to find someone else saying this. Like, it's not good, but I found myself genuinely invested in its development and outcome.

if the numbers are good. I'm keeping the season on constant repeat as background noise

>the awkwardness of the Day and Oswalt closing scenes where they push the button

My one major concern with this was that the trove of truly bizarre and awful old movies had been fully mined. That was already starting to be clear by the time they were on Sci-Fix. And mostly, I think that concern has been deserved.

That said, Cry Wilderness was about as insane and unreal as you could hope for.

Even to someone who has watched old episodes it's a bit of a chore to got through fourteen episodes. This shit is hard to binge without alcohol.

I watched the first three episodes back to back on Friday and enjoyed them but that was four and half hours so I'm not exactly dying to jump back in immediately.

On that note, how do people watch MST3K here? I only ever have it on the background, can't imagine sitting down to fully devote myself to it, new or old series

How did I fucking know Sup Forums wasn't going to like it.

In the credits you can see a man in a red spacesuit doing a space walk. So..

It's background noise and thrown on my third monitor.

Most of the movies just aren't worth your time.

I treat it like watching a movie. Usually just choose random episodes. Guess I should go through the entire series but shit is daunting.

Usually background noise or as I'm going to sleep. When I do focus my full attention on it, it's usually funny

B-but muh trump, i bet they made fun of daddy, right? They mocked daddy? On their show?
Those SCOUNDRELS!

Yeah, Sesame Street is some fine children's television. You sound disgruntled.

To be fair, Arrested Development was always pure shit.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting

Initially I just watched randomly, choosing what to watch based on the synopsis. Now I'm slowly going through the series in chronological order, I'm probably going to finish come 2024 at this rate.

Usually I just take pauses whenever an episode gets too exhausting. Some of these movies are quite fun and go through like a breeze thanks to how good the riffing is, but the real stinkers tend to be so challenging that it might take an entire evening to get through just one episode.

Stop saying wicked things about daddy, you filthy man.

Daddy? Did someone mention daddy?

>Watched the show since I was a kid growing up

tell that to Zod's snapped neck

But Sesame Street was childhood kino. What other show still gets away with racist Transylvanian accents?

My only real complaint is that Jonah & the bots all sound too similar, so it's hard to tell them apart as they riff. Otherwise it's a fine return to form.

>tfw no qt space nazi gf

Felicia was the biggest positive surprise about the whole thing. I'm in love.

Patton is easily the worst character on this show

its a fact that literally everyone on earth has already watched it

it's intentional?

>Patton is easily the worst human being alive

ftfy

the new voices take me out of it

I'd like it better if they didn't machine gun jokes. Like it's common to have like 10 seconds of silence and then 6 jokes in the span of 20 seconds. It's distracting and lacks tact.

it's still a lot better than when the dead air was filled with endless loops of

>hm
>hmmm?
>aaaah
>hmm

reactions to whatever was happening on the screen. so glad they didn't carry it over. really distracting when you notice it, especially in the Joel era.

well teevee is all about extreme negativity and ruining everything. it's all a big frowny, dry circle jerk

Horse shit. It's painfully bad. For comparison I went back and watched episodes at random and they just immediately started making me laugh. Not because I remembered it- I didn't- but because it was just that good. Perhaps the new eps suffer by being forcibly compared to something so good, but they're legitimately hard to watch

I find MST3k hard to watch not because of the jokes but because I actually do want to watch the movie.

that's true of a handful of moments in a handful of episodes, and classic MST3K also did that. quantity over quality has always been the fallback when they can't come up with good stuff

I just watched The Land that Time Forgot and it was basically never an issue

>For comparison I went back and watched episodes at random

what's funny is you were probably watching the Netflix "best of" collection

That's actually the appeal of mst3k for me. I like watching old b movies and schlock but it's only really fun with friends. So mst3k is a nice middle ground if you want that experience when no friends or chat is around

>what's funny is you were probably watching the Netflix "best of" collection
It was Hamlet one of the ones from the Mike years

Even when I first "binged" the series I never did more than an episode a day, and usually a bigger gap in between. The weekly airing was good for the kind of commitment an episode takes.

I do have the series on loop pretty constantly for white noise, too, though.

So far

>4/5 stars
The Time Travelers
The Beast of Hollow Mountain (even the host segments made me laugh)

>3/5 stars
Cry Wilderness (the movie itself was a 5/5 for riffing, the execution was a little underwhelming. )

>2/5 stars
Reptilicus

>1/5 stars
Avalanche (after about 20 mintues this was a chore to get through. painfully boring movie + riffs that there way too heavy on lazy reference humor)

>that's true of a handful of moments in a handful of episodes, and classic MST3K also did that. quantity over quality has always been the fallback when they can't come up with good stuff

it was an issue sometimes with particularly bad movies they couldn't do much with in the old series, both Mike and Joel episodes

I notice this though in every new episode. And for the record, I like the new episodes, I just think if they can get the pacing better it'd be golden. Some of the jokes are good but have no time to breathe.

the jokes are kinda flat

Felicia Day sucks

Wifekiller sucks

But I don't hate it.

I don't think you know what racist means.

I like it for the most part
My main problem is that it sounds like they all have the same voice
I can't tell who's saying what

It was fine.
Not as bad as I feared but no episode came close to the 'classics'

personally not a fan of the new voices

>The "Ok, We Get It" font during the Avalanche invention exchange is the Star Wars font

First actual laugh that an MST3K host segment has gotten out of me in ages.

i've found the host segments not so much laugh out loud funny as consistently entertaining. so long as felicia day isn't singing

>mfw Danny from The Time Travelers popped up in Avalanche

its just different now......

I don't like it when things are different.

So is that Joel returning triumphantly next season, or are you saying Jonah put the suit on and is trying to return to the station?

More likely the latter since Jonah spends the season building a space suit and he talks about how he always wanted to go on a space walk.

What was with all the Carvel ice cream product placement?

I downloaded a webrip of the new series and I got comfy, like when I used to watch the original on scifi. I had a huge bag of weed, a case of beer, and I ordered 4 pizzas - I ate some hot pizza, then saved the rest for later since I distinctly remember eating cold pizza while watching scifi MST3k. I had the couch just how I liked it, with pillows to my left and a thick blanket on my lap. I would lay on my side after eating pizza. And most importantly, I watched the new series with an open mind. I didn't listen to the shitposting naysayers.

After I watched the entire series I had to think for a moment, and count how many times I had laughed. 4. 4 times in the entire new series. Every other "joke" and gag was so forced. I got emotional after that thought. I didn't cry, but I got torn up inside realizing that the shitposting naysayers were right all along.

Probably some dumb inside joke among the writers. Even the older MST3K's had them, like Hamdingers.

There was a lot of Carvel riffs in the early seasons that I remember

Patton was an MST3K fan in his youth, he probably developed that part of his act after Joel's occasional "Fudgie...the whale!" references. I don't know why but I associate them with early season 2.

That absolutely never fucking happened you spastic shit.

it happened, but it was usually reacting to things that were funny/weird on their own. see: youtube.com/watch?v=Vkhj8Zv6Whk

the line is so bizarre there's nothing you could say right after it that would make it funnier than just reacting. is a tard

>>all voices sound the same
>>too fucking fast PICTURE RELATED
>>they have poor pacing because they refuse to allow any space between riffs. They sound like the micro-machines guy
>>why is A professional cosplayer trying to act? She can't act and has no personality.

It felt like a clip show. Search YouTube for a rifftrax or most clip dhow video- feels just like numst

Precisely

Credits list 3 puppeteers controlling each bot. Does this mean voice talent wasn't controlling puppets in theater/during host segments?

Might explain why they seemed so dead and lacking personality.

Monster song from episode 1 was spot on.

Disappointed overall

think they're remote controlled this time