"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy...

>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control."
- Simon Pegg

>"A sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times? I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities"
- Alec Guinness

>"I don't think they are making [comic book movies] an elevated art form, I think it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape.. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core. "
- David Cronenberg

>"I don't want to see or make films about super heroes that fly around in spandex and a cape solving the problems of the world. I think it's fine for children, children of all ages by the way, but it's not for me."
- William Friedkin

>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
- Alejandro Iñárritu

>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire... this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
- Alejandro Jodorowsky

>"To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence"
- Alan Moore

Did manchildren even exist before the late 70s?

>I shit on the United States
Every time

And yet all Sup Forums ever talks about is capeshit and starshit.
Really makes me think

Bookworms were the manchildren of the old. Lord of the Rings wasn't written in the 70s you know

>I am a pretentious cunt who feels that age must arbitrarily define what I can enjoy

>from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence

how i hate these dumb words coming from people trying to sound smart and knowledgeable.

Ever read about the background to WW1? Bismarck's alliances toppling down like a house of cards? THAT shit was complex, modern times offer nothing new aside from our stubborn ignorance when it comes to facing our problems.

Sure we like to watch the Avengers save the day from some robot, its way easier than questioning Islam's growing influence in Europe, but thats not a question of complexity, its a question of cowardice.

Pretentious leftist holywood cucks.

>- Simon Pegg

Appears in 3 Star Trek movies. Appears in a Star Wars movie under a costume. Voices Star Wars characters in several video games.

Replace "late capitalist" with "Jewish"

don't

>Pegg: only has a career because of nerd culture

>Guinness: Actually lied about that encounter. Bitter because no one cares about his other roles

>Cronenberg: Actually made a film featuring a bug with a talking anus. Tried to glorify a gay pedophile heroin junkie who enjoyed sodomizing boys while they hang from a rope by their necks

>Friedkin: Made lots of disappointing movies, one of which featured a gay anal fisting scene

>Iñárritu: Clearly had no ending for his movie and is a total hack and a fraud

>Jodirowsky: Literally wrote comic books that no one would read when no one would give him money to make his terrible films. Never made a successful movie

>Moore: Only has a career because of nerd culture. Wrote a series of increasingly disappointing comics until he was forced to drop out of the industry

>Op: So bad at shit posting he's got this posted saved to a text file on his computer. Literally a laughing stock of everyone who reads it

I don't know what to make of this. I agree about everything they said, capeshit and starshit is dumb. On the other hand I have a feeling they would say the same shit about Eva or Perfect Blue, because it's animated and Robots and stuff.

>Tried to glorify a gay pedophile heroin junkie who enjoyed sodomizing boys while they hang from a rope by their necks
what?

Naked Lunch.

Burroughs was into some very sick shit. He was a self admitted pedophile and he enjoyed sodomy / strangulation

And yet we don't see that in theatres or on television even

Fuck it all

No one knows because there was no Internet where you could encounter them.

Who cares? At the end of the day movies are just a distraction from your life, 2 hours in front of a screen instead of doing something else, its all mindless

try watching a good movie

ill accept your point if you tell me whens the last time you listened to an album of nursery rhymes

They were called nerds back then.

Wot, read about the Syria war, that shit is bewildering at times, tho it can be boiled down to a few key points.

It's getting pretty bad dude, don't blame him. Movies are no longer about making art. It's just about spewing some mindless drivel that appeases the masses.

It's been getting worse every year for a long time now, but it's nearly full circle at this point.

its just a third world civil war. We had those for decades now.

You the Friedkin movie you mentioned is pretty anti-gay and was controversial for depicting them as savage, occasionally violent hedonists?

Naked Lunch didn't glorify William Burroughs either.

Thisn is why all nerds you encounter are typically sketchy soft boys with timid nasally voices, with a constant forced politeness that belies a fucking creep who is already driven half mad because their silly little babby stories haven't been applying to real life the way they thought they would.

Definitely not as the overstimulated, burnt out mutants we have today

WW1 is modern existence you fucking failure of the education system. Americans actually think 100 years is a fucking millennium

Yeah but they were smart because of their secluded lifestyle (keeping their eyes between the pages), manchildren today are fucking retarded.

>Bookworms were the manchildren of the old

Wrong, "bookworms" for the most part grew up to be capable leaders and adults, since they actually come from a place of literary learning, unlike shitnerds of today.

If you're a 30/40 something fat fuck with a skullet and a collection of gut-stretched comic book t shirts, you deserve derision and your ass kicked.

this thread will get 300 replies

quotes mean nothing
in every sense of the phrase

>quotes mean nothing
>in every sense of the phrase

It's not a "civil war", neither in the sense that it is civil, or the result of the civil population of Syria rising up agains their government, it is the result of outside meddling. Foreign countries providing Millions in weapons, training, and military support have destroyed a previously stable and civil (relative to other Middle Eastern countries) society. The intrests of the parties involved, (US, UK, France, Israel, Gulf states, etc.) are not the "freedom" of the Syrian people. In fact the hypocrisy of being allied with oppresive states such as Saudi Arabia while condemning the supposed suppression of dissent in Syria is pathetic.

>complexities of modern existance
this was the Dark Kight's entire fucking theme though.

>Civil wars with high levels of factionalism and foreign intevention are complicated
Wow totally a new modern phenomenon. The 20th century definitely wasn't full of much more important ones (the Spanish Civil War, the Russian Civil War) and there definitely isn't a famous ancient text describing the tribulations of Greek Mercenaries who sign up to fight in a Persian Civil War and get themselves stuck in a massively complex situation.

LotR set the stage for the infantalization of modern man. It's the original escapist fantasy.

>not a question of complexity, its a question of cowardice.
Digits don't lie.
We don't want to go out in the heat and fight this shit off, we figure it'll adapt to us or blow itself up while we keep sitting in the air conditioned comfort, screwing and eating and masturbating in mirrors.

>itt autists who can only live in extremes and cant into well roundedness

these two might be the only quality posts for pointing out how to spot them irl

t. former man boy

the reason why things dont seem complicated or complex to you is because you are unconsciously (or subconsciously) simplifying them to the point of absurdity: another characteristic of neckbeard man children subculture of the internet. A characteristic inherently linked to their fascination with things like nostalgia, childhood, pre 20th century moral objectivity, and (ironically) the deferment of responsibility.

I want off this ride of endless movie franchises

Nerd culture is gay, even if their critics are retards too

>the reason why things dont seem complicated
No idiot, I didn't say things aren't complex. I'm saying the idea that the past was a simpler time compared to the complexities of today is wrong.

What's funny is that you accuse me of nostalgia when of course the idea of a simple past is classic nostalgic. Nor again is a new phenomenon, as can be seen for example in the Romans of the 1st century BC who in the grips of their own civil wars (which, gasp, were pretty complicated!) longed for an idealized and largely imagined simpler era of their forefathers.

>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control."
- Simon Pegg

This is the stupidest one on here. These things aren't related at all and it's no different than saying "X is a late capitalist conspiracy" where X is literally anything you can consume. Movies, music, games, cars, sports, whatever. Someone's interests are in no way a reflection of their political philosophy about capitalism of their susceptibility to market influence.

You know what's actually late-stage capitalism? Simon Pegg being worth 10+ million dollars

Jesus Christ, you people need to break out of the bubble you're in. Yes, if you visit nothing but certain websites it seems like everyone's obsessed with capeshit and starshit and everything else. But if you take a larger view, guess what? You see them as the last graps of a Hollywood that is dying in the United States as its ticket sales decline, and the easiest and most reliable export to the foreign markets that they must dominate and grow now or perish.

A far more interesting idea, one that is sadly only limited studies on, is the idea that there is now no real pop culture, that as least in North America, people's media habbits have become so disparate that there is nothing that can be called universal.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves.

To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow.

But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Obviously Lewis consumed more sophisticated things too, but most people really have never got over the fear of someone calling them a baby.

Is indieshit the only hope right now for cinema?

This is such a tired fucking meme. If you weren't so obviously around the age of 18 you would realise that cinema has always been wracked with this cash grab shit.

Are you GENUINELY trying to tell me its worse today than it was in the 80's?

Kino post.

Yes, but they got drafted and would be the first to die on the battlefield due to lack of athleticism and hand-eye coordination.

Yes.

In 1986 for example in the top grossing movies, you have utter trash like "Karate Kid 2" in the top 5, but you also had fucking Platoon as number 3. In 2016 meanwhile the only original movie in the top 5 is fucking "The Secret Life of Pets."

people were asking this same question ten and twenty years ago. look how things turned out

the scary thing is we're heading down both scenarios

blue pilled pleb normies who dont care about actual stuff

I love how this pasta never fails to make plebs butthurt.

>Simon Pegg
>appeared in both The Force Awakens and Star Trek

Wew lad

>calling people manchildren while posting on a Balinese numerology fansite

Wew lad

No. Closest thing would probably be people who read comic books and stuff like that.

>he thinks the political climate of today isn't complex
Wew lad. Let me guess, you're a trumpet who swallows all the alt-right crap that Facebook's machine learning algorithms spew on your newsfeed?

No, the theme was that a guy in a cape who's too morally superior to kill people saves the day from evil villains with no such thing as moral greyness, you fucking retard.

To me (and to Tolkien) there's a difference between an escapist from life and a deserter from life. The latter replaces reality with fantasy instead of confronting their problems (what you would typically call "escapism"), and may as well be psychotic since they neglect every other aspect of their real lives, like your typical nerd. The former doesn't neglect reality, but merely chooses to escape it temporarily to prevent insanity from the stress of their daily lives. Tolkien didn't write LotR for deserters, nor any of his fantasy for that matter. He'd be disgusted at the average nerd's neglect of reality.

Hopefully the escapist's life can eventually become something that isn't like a prison and address the root of the problem. Meanwhile, I don't think there's anything wrong with reading an uplifting fantasy/fairy-story along the way as long as you keep your real-life priorities in check. It may be what's needed to go on another day without being completely miserable.

>I shit on the United States

>he doesn't enjoy the old choke and stroke

sad

Why can't manchildren watch anything from beyond the seventies? I swear The Godfather is probably the oldest thing they've seen.

It's called jealousy. Audiences love comic book movies and find plenty of value in them. Meanwhile, none of those people has made anything anyone has wanted to watch or read in ages

>No, the theme was that a guy in a cape who's too morally superior to kill people saves the day from evil villains with no such thing as moral greyness, you fucking retard.

You're braindead. How do you expect to understand regular movies if you can't understand ""simple"" superhero movies? I'll explain it to your plebeian ass:

The point the Joker is trying to make, as is revealed by the end of the movie, is that society is shit, we're "all monsters on the inside" just like him etc. etc. How does he try to prove it? The chance arises when a ferry full of criminals and civilians are about to depart from Gotham. He gives each ship a bomb. "HEHEHE watch what happens, they'll blow each other up just like I KNOW THEY WILL because all people are animals like me etc. etc."

Literally nothing happens. neither ship activates the bomb. Gotham saved itself, why? Because unlike what the Joker said, the people are moral and good, and don't always serve their own interests. Batman saved nobody, all he did was capture the Joker in the end, and had faith in both the innocent civilians in Gotham and the criminals he had worked so hard to lock up.

Don't try to demean a movie that you're simply too stupid to understand, you just make yourself look like an idiot in the end. Thanks for proving OP wrong.

if the people of gotham are so good why the fuck does it even need a batman?

tl;dr Batman does almost nothing to "save the day", all he does is help the cops capture the Joker. It's Batman's faith in people (and violent haste) that stopped the Joker's master plan.

that's the whole point of the goddamn movie. lol you figured it out good job. you know Batman retires after that, right?

>Alejandro Jodorowsky

Foregin fag shits on the United States? The entire base of filmmaking? Sure dude, sure. Keep being delusional and arrogant. That'll get you even more famous in the states. Literally fucking nobody.

>a movie must be successful to be good

want to know how i know you are a base pleb?

then why is the last monolouge about how gotham needs a batman, silent protector watchful knight etc? and what about in dkr when crime increases after batman retires? I thought the people of gotham were good guys after all? what happened to all the good guys on the boat? where were they? im confused

ahaha did this cunt fuck mummy or something?

why are you so upset? my god are all americans like this when you insult the US?

you fucking americans truly are retarded

>you know Batman retires after that

Gotham remains a criminal shithole though and inevitably gets so bad that Batman eventually comes back in a much darker and violent form.

>Hopefully the escapist's life can eventually become something that isn't like a prison and address the root of the problem
Fat fucking chance.

In summary: Comic books and movies have no integrity, they exist purely to sell themselves.

Kino indeed.

I guess I can sort of see how Moore can get away with saying something this despite working in comic books, but I can't for the life of me imagine how Simon Pegg of all people could possibly make this statement nonironically. I mean, he's sort of right, but all his movies are nothing but pastiches of lowbrow genre films filled to to the brim with obnoxious nerd references in lieu of meaningful dialogue. His TV show did nothing but glorify and romanticize nerd culture. This is a guy who starred in the Star Trek remake, defended it, praises JJ Abrams, a money-grubbing capitalist if there ever was one. Simon Pegg is literally a multimillionaire because of this late capitalist conspiracy. What an unselfaware hypocrite.

>Simon Pegg
I can't take this man seriously when he has appeared in the remake films of Star Trek and Star Wars. Those two franchises are the definition of the faux Nerd culture he loathes so much. The only way I can see this quote being salvageable is if he agrees with Alan Moore and Guinness and admits the films he stars in are childish entertainment.