Why aren't epics like Cleopatra or Spartacus a thing anymore?

Why aren't epics like Cleopatra or Spartacus a thing anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_period_drama_films_and_series
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

too boring

americans have no history so are confused and upset by historical works.

O B S E S S E D

they cant milk it anymore

this pretty much. cultureless historyless people don't care about historical epics

which explains the popularity of capeshit.

O B E S E

I don't know what planet you live on but they had a film about Egyptians like last year, and I remember a series about Spartacus like a couple of years ago.

They are. At least their remakes are still a thing. There's a few new ones too (Queen of the Desert, Michiel de Ruyter, etc.)

You should look into foreign movies to get your fix, there's a lot of good historical epics, new and old, that are not american made.

>film/tv show about history automagically makes it an epic

cause noone is a unimaginative christian that thinks media and entertainment have to be "wholesome" (whatever that means) anymore

Because no one knows history any more and it isn't capeshit to entertain the plebified masses.

Noone who?

>a film about Egyptians like last year
Do you mean the one based on the bible or the one with flying demon gods? Not sure how historic either one is famm

But, user, history IS capeshit. It's literally costumes, capes, intrigue and action.

He meant the King Tut mini-series, I think.

Because nobody can agree what color the actors should be

cgi

That's... actually a good point.

SJW and Sup Forums have ruined movies!

>TUT aka Ghandi VS That Fag From Victorious

movie producers, directors, writers, etc. also the demand isnt there. its only thing to continue spewing out the next iteration of capeshit but not many people are so retarded that you can just keep remaking the same shit over and over. theres only so many ways to show how much of a slutbag cleopatra was

There's only one Ridley Scott and he's quite busy. How many currently working directors can you name who can demand as much money and run as big of a production as him?

No, I'm asking for is full name.

everything is just a retarded CGI fest now

you don't get epics like you used to because its easier just to make some shitty CGI movie like the Ben Hur remake

not just that but Hollywood movies are starting to rely heavily on foreign markets like China, doubt they really care that much about Western historical movies

Ah yes, because historical accuracy mattered when they made Cleopatra, never mind anything related to Spartacus.

All the events where two giant lines of armies running at each other have already been done.

>egyptian queen
>white actor

wow hollywood was shit back then too!

it was just a general statement that there was a sharp decline of these types of movies after the 60s (right when liberalism started taking off)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_period_drama_films_and_series

Hannibal when?

>implying Cleopatra wasn't a Ptolemy and was instead one of the few nig egyptian rulers

WE

Capeshit movies are the epics of america

Sadly this is true, although there's a large population that enjoys the fuck out of history.

Why are no movies about old greek stories?
I mean there's no copyright there and the script is already done

not knowing that not all egyptians are nubians
not knowing that since alexander the great all the leaders from Egypt to India were greek

there was too much assfucking in ancient greece for it to be made into kino

like take Plato's Academia. These dudes would go there and have butt sex and then discuss 2deep4u shit

Sad but true

Yea this, batman is real you guys

elizabeth taylor is like reverse moanar, she never sees yopu anywhere in the room, all she sees is that scen from spicksodysea

Greek mythos truly has lots of of perverted and deranged sex yes but so does european cinema

there was a unneeded Ben Hur movie which bombed hard

Hopefully never. The man was a retard that only accomplished the fall of his entire people.

>tfw still no Odyssey movie with Sean Bean

Romans were much more degenerate than greeks.

They literally say in the movie she's from Macedonia and not a "true" Egyptian.

That's why I want to see it

A girl told me I looked like Richard Burton

I didnt know who that was

Shes kinda right

WHO IS THAT NOONE GUY THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO KNOW!!!

oh dear. i meant no one. sorry for the mishap

>Not knowing how to greentext

CONGRATS

YOU LOOK LIKE A FAGGOT

TDKR made all future attempts at epics redundant.

It was the biggest film since the silent era.

flicks are not epics.

Not the same user, but at least there weren't gods, monsters or crazy magic in those films. While they can't be called historical or accurate, they are still closer to reality than gods of egypt or some of the other shit hollywood shits out. I'm guessing that's what he meant with historical.

The kinda faggot young Elizabeth Taylor married and sucked and fucked...

who says it isnt , saw spartacus and ben hur couple days ago

too boring
too complex (history never has straight forward easy to understand narratives)
too difficult to adapt (needs to be "accurate" while still being entertaining while at the same time you have armchair history nerds who don't understand the idea of ideas and themes, composite characters and artistic liberties to convey an idea over irrelevant historical details despite never having read an actual peer reviewed journal on the subject)
if it's not ww2, civil war or vietnam americans dont care

Elizabeth Taylor is so meat and potatoes. Never found her interesting.

>Greeks
>white

No one ever asked us if we wanted to be. Only since white people wanted a buffer zone have we been counted as white. We weren't even allowed on whites only beaches where my family grew up. Fuck off,whitey.

cause you aren't greek, just a turk rapebaby

There was a epic revival after LoTR and Troy
But it died quickly

They don't get enough use out of the wardrobe and set departments to justify the expense, TV is more cost effective for period works.

Being cost effective is just another way of saying that tv shows look like cheap behind the scenes footage. I have never been able to watch tv because it looks so drab.

feminists wont allow this kind of film thats why

It's called a tv series. Like got or startrek.

why not

>ywn protect his smile

Don't worry OP. Denis Villeneuve's Dune will make Epikino great again.

look at ops picture you fucking jew, thats why

Shakespeare-kino needs to make a return too

That's not true. African Americans were kangz, they have a lot of history.

He had personality.

If it isn't sci-fi or capeshit it's "boring"

That explains all of the historical films coming out of the Middle East
Or all of those historical epics coming from Europe every year
Or all of those historical epics coming from Western Asia
Or all of those historical epics coming from Africa.

Aside from a few films that are made in China or Japan, there are no historically cultured civilizations that are producing historical epics, or at least making decent ones.

bump

>Why aren't epics like Cleopatra or Spartacus a thing anymore?

Too expensive and no merchandising value

>Or all of those historical epics coming from Europe every year
There's quite a lot of them.

Majority of them are so terrible that they're not even worth naming.

''epic'' is as objective as the word ''good'' which means, not at all. those old movies were dogshit, which is why they arent making any of them anymore. thats it

>americans have no history
No we have history, most of us just don't care about it, or understand it.

Naw, i like to read history not have it filtered through (((hollywoods))) fish eye lens.

literally all colossals are hollywood production dumbass

just set it in ancient greece, those fuckers range from sandniggers to blond and blue eyed

Epic casting and practical sets/effects have been replaced with overcrowded and unartistic cgi.
Having a "bankable" star with overwhelming persona who is over-used is more important than portraying the character.

Tropes. Everything is the same scenewriting gags in different settings. The directors who are currently doing all the epics are known to make wall-to-wall trope-fests. Hopefully Dune will change that pattern.

Attention spans/ADD

If you want to see a decent epic that is fairly recent, be sure to check out Mongol (2008)

A big reason those movies sold were how fucking crazy in scope they were.

They wouldn't be considered that crazy anymore. People have seen it.

>americans have no history
>greatest revolution of all time is not history
>becoming the bastion of freedom in the west is not history

It's like you all shit on America because you're just jealous of how awesome we are

>history
>greatest revolution of all time
>bastion of freedom

>implicating it's not

But Carthage would have fallen without his campaign too.

Try chinese wuxias.

>''epic'' is as objective as the word ''good'
If your talkin about memes maybe

I thought OP meant why don't we have these sort of grand people nowadays, and not just about movies.

>shit all over half the globe
>still no public healthcare
>entire political machine dysfunctional and in the pocket of corporations
>population almost as obese as mexico
>still think they are the best

Ameriburgers

i didn't know i wanted this.

hollywood is scared to touch anything big that doesnt already have a fan base (IE fast and furious, star wars, cape shit)
the industry is really up in the air right now and big cultural shifts are happening, theyre just trying to keep up enough to stabilize

wasnt the biggest flop in history was made in the 20s if im not mistaken ?

>>still no public healthcare
stopped reading there

The biggest flop in history is Cleopatra

Me too, these lazy europoors should just be banned from the internet.

You look hot

What was There will be blood if not an epic?