Zack Snyders only good movie is 300. His visual style is overreliant on CGI...

Zack Snyders only good movie is 300. His visual style is overreliant on CGI, a technology that only looks good in motion with a lot of blur.

Good action scenes need both fast action and slower moments to build tension, which Snyder achieves by the use of slow motion. In 300 this works because there aren't very many moving parts, it looks artful with the silhouettes and the shining red capes. Compare this to the slow motion in sucker punch, while it does slow down the action it turns it into a nauseating experience with clutter abound and seemingly nonsensical slow motion sequences.

I believe he should move away from superhero movies and more into action scenes where the terrain is more monotone, like in medieval movies or historic epics.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TBYNOxLVj5Y
m.youtube.com/watch?v=h24D87SqaLQ
archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/text/Zack Snyders only good movie is 300. His visual style is overreliant on CGI, a technology that only looks good in motion with a lot of blur. /
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yeah I agree he's shit

>Zack Snyders only good movie is 300.
And Dawn of the Dead.

That's a Michael Bay flick

>And Dawn of the Dead.
And Watchmen

mfw I unironically think Sucker Punch was perfect (director's cut especially)

mfw I think Watchmen is probably best capeshit movie I've ever seen (I don't think Unbreakable qualifies and only TDK and Batman Returns came close imho)

what is wrong with me am I pleb as fuck or what

I don't care for his other films, not even 300 but I like his visuals

>And Watchmen
And Man Of Steel

>what is wrong with me am I pleb as fuck or what

you are a gamer

no

youtube.com/watch?v=TBYNOxLVj5Y

K I N O
I
N
O

>And Man Of Steel
And Batman V Superman

Your face's a Michael Bay flick

Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchmen.
Case closed, faggots only after this.

>And Batman V Superman
And Sucker Punch

>His visual style is overreliant on CGI
There's nothing wrong with that.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=h24D87SqaLQ
I don't understand how he could make this and still managed to fuck up the rest of the movie.

>His best movie was written by his now competitor

Rendering CGI is expensive, so it is objectively a bad thing to be overreliant on it.
Disregarding budgetary concerns, CGI has visual limitations before it starts looking bad, certain amounts of physics and detail just can't be rendered with modern technology.
There is nothing wrong with CGI, look at mad max fury road for an example of a director who understands how and when to use it, it's seamless and knows its limits. Compare this to the cartoony superheroes against blurred backgrounds slamming into eachother, and you'll realize Zack Snyders overreliance on CGI is a significant flaw on his behalf.

I liked watchmen too

IMO watchmen and 300 are his only two good movies

Man of Steel fight and art direction is top tier.

There is only a single scene where CGI looks bad, the classic Zod spinning gif, the rest is perfectly done. Its fast, apocalyptic and highly explosive but never gives you motion sickness or get confusing like Bayformer movies.

Sucker Punch is really held back by the shitty cgi, but it has some really cool ideas, like the shooting inside the ship.

I hope JL raises the bar again. Other action movies look like ps3 games compared to Zack Snyder's high end pc.

Civil war really looks like a high budget tv show.

>Zack Snyders only good movie is 300.

300 has zero rewatchability. Dawn of the Dead is Zack Snyder's only good movie.

Watchmen isn't that good, either. It doesn't deserve praise for being a film adaptation that is worse in almost every way. The only thing that I would give the movie props for is removing the giant squid and replacing it with Dr. Manhattan bombs. I don't hate the giant squid, but the movie version makes more sense.

He's never made a good anything though
even dawn of the dead is Sup Forumseddit sensibility hotpocket meme trash made with upvote groupthink ideals and tv show aesthetic

>Man of Steel fight and art direction is top tier.

Nigga, no. Those fight scenes looked like a damn PS2 video game.

But he didnt. He just added one or two fighting scenes to appease the executives who would never have approved a 4 hours high budget Watchmen movie if any other guy than Zack Snyder asked for it.

Its incredible the leverage Snyder has in the industry. Imagine if any other guy than Snyder wanted to do Watchmen. The kind of compromises and changes the movie would had. Hell, just read the previous scripts to see how shit would have ended.

The end result we got it is as faithful as a Watchmen Hollywood adaptation could ever be. In fact, more than what it would be normally allowed to be.

You might say that Watchmen is impossible to film as a Hollywood movie. But certainly that wouldnt stop the executives from doing it eventually. Id say the result we got considering all the context is highly satisfactory. Anyone who cant see that is either autistic or retarded. Its the best adaptation we will ever get. And trust me, when a reboot happens you will learn to love ZackĀ“s version.

>Rendering CGI is expensive, so it is objectively a bad thing to be overreliant on it.
hiring actors is expensive, so it is objectively a bad thing to be overreliant on it

Nothing that is good about watchmen is attributable to zack snyder.

changing the ending makes the entire movie a plot hole

>It's a Watchmen was shit thread

Nice to see Sup Forums is still a contrarian cesspit.

Nothing that is bad either. But I disagree on the good parts.

>The death of original niteowl was great
>95% of the casting was great. Often cited in best casts threads
>The colors and cinematography of the movie are great
>the pacing for a 3 and a half hours movie is good

was it autism?

archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/text/Zack Snyders only good movie is 300. His visual style is overreliant on CGI, a technology that only looks good in motion with a lot of blur. /

Sup Forums said watchmen was shit when it was originally released.

several years later, people who were 12 when watchmen was released started posting on Sup Forums trying to say how great watchmen was. This is the standard process for just about everything.

>plothole
Reddit/youtube tier film criticism

Also
>Screenplay by David Hayter and Alex Tse
I dont see Zack Snyder name there.

too bad he couldn't recreate that magic for BvS

shit casting, shit pacing, shit dialog, shit storyline

It was shit Sup Forums

I didn't realize zack snyder wasn't responsible for turning all the characters into supermen who can shatter femurs with their fists.

That's not a contrarian opinion at all. I wouldn't say that Watchmen was "shit," but it wasn't some magnum opus of the comicbook movie genre like so many on here make it out to be.

Watchmen gets so much praise for being faithful to the source material. But if the movie is going to copy the comic frame-for-frame, I'm going to compare it to the comic. And, compared to the comic, the movie isn't nearly as good.

I actually agree with your second statement, many filmmakers rely on big name actors and it cuts deep into their budgets.

If Zack Snyder was producing lower budget action movies he'd be screwed since he can't afford CGI. Just think how much money they could save by using actual pyrotechnics for explosions, and it would look more real too.

you're an idiot who's never seen shit acting
budget problems are problems for people who don't have the money to solve them

they're not a problem if you have the money
There Will Be Blood is a fantastic film, and a considerable part of that is due to DDL's performance. It doesn't make the film bad that such a significant part of its quality is due to the masterclass acting he brought

>people use plothole incorrectly so its never valid

nice counter.

The fact is, without the squid, there is no reason for the comedian to break, thus no reason to kill him. So the entire movie is a plot hole.

Your an idiot.

>bloated budgets aren't a concern for directors

Keep living in la la land, in the real world you have tight budgets and every unnecessary penny spent on CGI is one less for something else.

Your lack of counter argument is noted.

I'm not holding your hand. If you can't see it, tough shit.

>His visual style is overreliant on CGI, a technology that only looks good in motion with a lot of blur.
I honestly don't understand why Sup Forums doesn't seem to get this. His movies look dated the day they come out. They were made for HAHAHAHAHAHA threads, yet kino memes dominate all discussion.

Look at this shit.

>There is only a single scene where CGI looks bad, the classic Zod spinning gif, the rest is perfectly done.
Wut.

Also I thought Sup Forums hated shakycam? MoS is all over that shit.

Handheld shots =/= shakycam

>Handheld shots =/= shakycam
Theres literally shakycam when he's hanging out in Smallville. Shit, the first time he flies, Snyder uses whip zooms. Why does he get a pass on this?

whip zoom =/= shakycam

>look at this

what's wrong with it?

Oh right, I forgot its, tv/, where we pretend Snyder isn't a music video cinematographer that conned his way into 250 million dollar features.

who did he con user?
millions of people enjoy his films and batman v superman made a very healthy profit?

>it's enough if I'm right in my own head

Then why post in the first place? kys

Look at all that blur, it's piss

He worked with real talented actors and their lines were flat, their faces devoid of any believable emotion. He might be visually good (occasionally really good) but damn he can't direct actors.
Also he shouldn't decide any part of the stories he directs.

Well, you didnt realize he wasnt responsible because you are fucking retard who believes Zack Snyder wrote the movie.

Have a (you)

I won't lie, I enjoy getting shitfaced and waching man of steel while pretending it's live acton dbz (which of course is just anime superman)

>still less cuts than this
Fucking done

it's like i'm watching buzzfeed or ladbible, christ.

His best fight scene involves little to no cgi at all. Your point is irrelevant.

Im going to enter meme territory here, but the same criticism could be said about many Kubrick pictures. He is obviously not even remotely talented as Kubrick, but he shares some of the same direction traits. For good or for worse.

He subordinates the actors to his own vision/cinematography/highly stylised imagery. The actors are nothing but decorate, puppets in his visual orchestra. Both have (sometimes) a really detached style, a cold way of showing emotions and characters. Like if it was the cinematography first and the acting second or third place.

Their almost mathematical approach to the Mise en Scene (there, I said it) overshadows everything in the movie.

Many people have the same criticisms about Kubrick too. Barry Lyndon was released to mixed response and he even won a Razzie award for worst director with The Shining (Shelly Duvall also won one for worst acting) with some of the same arguments that were used to shit on BvS.

When a trailer starts with "from the visionary director Zack Snyder" they really mean it.

>Sup Forumseddit sensibility hotpocket meme trash made with upvote groupthink ideals and tv show aesthetic

What did he mean by this?

>haha we're still best friends right haha? :)

I haven't seen Civil War but I just fucking know that's the exact fucking quip that happens here

I cannot grasp if Sucker Punch is ironic or not.
If ironic is genius, if not Snyder is retarded.

Watchmen, regardless what the spergs say, is good. Dawn is enough good so i 300.

The rest, meh.

That scene looks good once you compare it with the competition. Fox and Disney

The book is better but the god/Manhattan comparison gives an interesting shadow to the movie.
You are literally Simpson-comic book guy tier.

>81740243

Fox > DCEU >>Marvel >>>>> Sony

So ass.

We have a cape connoisseur here.

Too bad Fox tasted some of the reddit dollars with Deadpool and will soon join the ranks of the MCU quipshit.

You are the reason I keep coming here.

>his only good movie where he copied the original shot for shot

Snyder is only as good as the one he is stealing from now

Distinction CGI vs Compositing. You can't composite well your "CGI" will falter.

Smyder is a competent director who just need a good script and a good editor. Thats all

Are you really saying Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is a shot-by-shot remake of the original Dawn of the Dead, you clueless fucking retard?

>hating on this

>impacts are actual impacts
>movement appears weighted
>despite being unimpressive CGI the acceleration and deceleration actually follow the laws of physics

Compare it to any other movie that has super powered fights, there is not one that comes close to how good this is, for better or worse.

I don't think he was talking about Dawn.
Fuck, I seriously hope that.

You never know in this place.

ofc its ironic how do you even consider the other option

WAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

This specific director only makes specific types of movies.

I think this specific director sucks and should stop making movies that fit their own directing style.

WAAAAAAHHHH!!!

If yes, is a splendid commentary on current culture and his masterpiece.

Of course people that were supposed to praise it destroyed it.

Yeah, it's not like this plan which consists of killing billions for world peace (squid or otherwise) would break him.

This is 10/10 for Zack Snyder

You're not wrong about Watchmen

Wtf? How did you get him in instagram?

Nice trips

Also, you hit the nail on the head. The Watchmen comic is much better then Zach's movie version. The things that are good about Watchmen are things that Alan Moore is responsible for, not what Snyder is responsible for.

this skellington is playing wonder woman, but why?

The comedian's appearance being based after stalin (except buff) is not accidental.

The death toll is not what broke him in the comic, he had been fully prepared for nuclear war for decades.

In the movie, there is zero outward indication that veidt is doing anything but building free energy generators.

because the DCEU is the bizzaro universe to nolan's batman universe.

>pa kent is a shitty dad
>ma kent is a shitty mom
>batman is a moron
>aquaman and wonder woman are useful
>wonder woman is a stick
>superman is a mopey asshole
>lex luthor is a moronic twink

and probably so much more

ANOTHER INNACCURATE PASTA BAIT THREAD THAT GOES UNCHECKED

If you read the post you'd see I argue that his style doesn't fit superhero movies.