Who are some good movie critics to get into? I want to understand better what makes a movie good or bad

Who are some good movie critics to get into? I want to understand better what makes a movie good or bad.
I run a blog for film reviews, but I feel like I don't know what I'm talking about most of the time.

Don't say Roger Ebert.

Other urls found in this thread:

fredcamper.com/Film/index.html
youtu.be/ehoiFl97WnY?t=103
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What do you have against Ebert? He was generally on point.

Fred Camper is the only movie critic worth a damn if you're interested in film aesthetics.

fredcamper.com/Film/index.html

Piero Scaruffi
Pauline Kael

>that pic
>hating on based Armande
redditors angry that not everyone praises their favourite capeshit or liberal propaganda movie

Armond White
Richard Brody
Richard Spencer, when he reviews movies
Bret Easton Ellis

Don't fall for it, OP.

"Video games will never be considered art"
-roger ebert

Dismissing him outright because of that is foolish. Your blog is about film, no?

Mark Kermode

Tells me he has a weird and personal definition of what art is. The objective of a critic should be to be as objective as possible and not have weirdly specific and subjective views.

Roger Ebert loved this movie.

>Fred Camper is the only movie critic worth a damn if you're interested in film aesthetics.
Writing > Visuals

Armond is unironically one of the best. The fact that he pisses plebbit off so much is just the icing on the cake.

He's fucking right though you faggot.
>hurr bioshock is art

Might as well read a novel, in that case.

Armond White is a contrarian piece of shit that called Wayans Bros. film masterpieces and thought Batman v. Superman was about gay angst.

Its debatable whether its art or not now but to say it will never be art is fucking retarded

That user wasn't me.

I still generally agree with his approach to movie reviews though.

>When you ask a friend if Hellboy is any good, you're not asking if it's any good compared to Mystic River, you're asking if it's any good compared to The Punisher. And my answer would be, on a scale of one to four, if Superman is four, then Hellboy is three and The Punisher is two. In the same way, if American Beauty gets four stars, then The United States of Leland clocks in at about two.

Why would you run a blog for film reviews if you don't even know what makes something good or bad?

This. Faggots who think the story is the only important element in film don't understand the fundamentals media

>I run a blog for film reviews, but I feel like I don't know what I'm talking about most of the time.

Then why do you have that shitty blog in the first place?

Maybe, but you can still see where he was coming from. No need to dismiss him as a film critic.

He probably is just looking for opinion validation

He's dead anyway dude what's the point?

I used to enjoy reading reviews until I discovered that he goes all intellectual for his National Review articles and then gays it up for his Out reviews. That's bullshit.

>Entire profession can be dismissed by forming your own opinion

>movie faggots trying to act superior when their genre is mostly trash and cheap garbage too

Lmao

Brody is a legitimate intellect and beautiful writer on film. No, you wont agree w/ everything he says, that's ok, and you don't know him from just the couple bowls of pasta that get posted here. I've been reading him for 12 years and he's turned me onto some of my favorite films and directors.

So is Pauline Kael but it doesn't mean her reviews aren't worth reading when you want to learn about film critique, you clueless idiot.

Video games aren't really an art. They're more of a service if anything.

Ebert - good
Siskel - shit (reminds me of Sup Forums users in that he hated everything that was good)

you can just ask me OP

Pauline Kael was an idiot and should be read with great skepticism. She was an inelegant writer who placed more value on gut-feelings than on thought, and stubbornly refused to re-evaluate anything. She was a middling writer and an idiot who appeals to people who admire strong personalities more than critical thinkers. You have to take her for what she is- a reviewer for the masses, not a critic for the cinephiles. She was bullheaded, close-minded, played favorites, and lost almost all relevance in the late seventies. And if she had a clue about a film's formal considerations, she never let you know about it. I respect that Kael's admired for her passion, but passion without intellect is worthless. She was a whirling dervish of irrationalism that contributed little to understanding cinema, as opposed to maniacally, sometimes entertainingly, misinterpreting it with unfocused zest.

I seen this pasta.

What are the "fundamentals"? CGI all over the place? A shitty 5 minute take of a man eating cereal? The story one of the most (if not the most) important aspect in a film, you can have a good director and a good cinematographer, but if you have a bad story, the whole movie or short will be bad (See the "Bad" complete music video [Michael Jackson], it was directed by Martin Scorsese, but still, it's crap)

In other words, Sup Forums would fucking love her.

I've liked the few Mick LaSalle reviews I've read

They aren't worth reading and he's dead so he can't redeem himself you knuckle dragging dipshit

How so?.

He usually writes about different subjects.

All critics are losers that take films way too seriously. They consume in huge quantities but they don't create. They're just hobbyists.

I'm not saying story isn't important but if you think story is the only thing thats important then there's no point in even having visuals. Everything a film utilizes is important for its outcome; sound design, visuals, framing, acting, all of it contributes to the look and feel of a movie you absolute faggot

>and he's dead so he can't redeem himself

What does that mean?

Can't be, because this is its debut.
trips confirm

Ignatiy Vishnevetsky

reddit pls go

He is good, pretty much the only good thing the AV Club has going for it these days. I know he wrote for a couple of other venues previously, a lot of these writers bounce around so much it's hard to even know their names.

He can't admit what a droopy faced fag boi he was and start producing comprehensive reviews instead of sucking charlie Kaufman's pretentious cock

I think I have some idea.

I will put the Scorsese example again, he did a good job as a director, but the "story" of the music video is bad. Black and white films are the perfect example that prove that visuals (stetic) are not the main thing, all the new dc shit movies have a lot of stetic (but not relevant) visuals to attract regular people, but the stories are crap, and no matter how "good" the costumes of a movie are, if the writing is bad, the movie is bad (see suicide squad and his undeserved Oscar for best makeup)

I didn't "story is the only important element in film".
First of all, story isn't the same as writing, and I didn't imply it was the only important part of a film.

Brody who, nigga?

ITT: Critic X is shit because he doesn't conform to my uneducated plebeian opinion.

People are brought up thinking their irrational, emotional gut reactions on shit they know nothing about actually matter.

Dude did you even fucking read my reply. Also black and white films do take advantage of what looks appealing and when they do the quality of the movie increases (see film noir). I'll say it again if you think the story is the only important thing in a film there's no point in watching the film.

Yeah the AV Club is mostly shit, it's a miracle IV has managed to stick around there as long as he has, especially after he just blatantly came out and said Scarlett Johansson was perfect casting for GitS.

Then why are you bashing someone who reviews other aspects of film?

>reminds me of Sup Forums users in that he hated everything that was good
What does Sup Forums hate that's good?

Didn't he retract himself though?

Chris Stuckmann
Eric Strifler

>hated everything that was good
Such as? What's the masterpiece he shat on?

Critics are just failed filmmakers.

Doesn't matter. This is manchild central and getting triggered the fuck out is the name of the game.

>good reviewer
>said Scarlett Johansson was perfect casting for GitS.

I didn't bash him at all, I just said that writing was more important than visuals.

Black and white films had a limit in photography, a limit that broke after color arrived; black and white movies (the best ones) had very full scenarios that could compensate the color absence, and that's what a lot of today's films (a good percentage of them) are missing. If the story, the writing, is not one of the most important aspects of a film, then there wouldn't be awards for the best original screenplay; regarding that, the whole film started out as a screenplay, a written work. So yeah, the story may be the most important aspect of a film

she did a fine job

>b-b-ut muh anime is different! w-why isn't some no name asian actor playing this role?!

dumb frogposter

>the story is the most important aspect of 21-87
>the story is the most important aspect of La region centrale
>the story is the most important aspect of Dog Star Man
You're only thinking of narrative films, which is very limiting.

youtu.be/ehoiFl97WnY?t=103

>AV Club is part of The Onion
>Isn't funny or satirical

I don't get it

>arrival
>the young pope
just recently

Narrative is not limited, novels can build a whole world just by putting words together, the same happens with a film (See the LOTR trilogy as an example, both novels and films)

Narrative films are the only films that matter.

Arrival is dogshit and Sup Forums loves The Young Pope.

I'm saying by only considering narrative films and excluding non-narrative, you are limiting your outlook.
For you.

Narrative in film can be made by the actors expressions, the whole environment and subtle dialogue, all of that starts with the writing, I don't see how that limits my vision

>Filmmaker: When you were studying, was there any critic who specifically inspired you?
>White: Oh sure. My very first inspiration was Pauline Kael.
>Filmmaker: Are you a “Paul-ette”?
>White: I’ve never called myself a Paul-ette, though she was my first inspiration. But I’m not a Paul-ette because we agree on a lot but we disagree on a lot too. So I’m not a follower, but I’m a big admirer of hers. And at Columbia, one of my professors was Andrew Sarris, and I’m also a big admirer of Sarris. I think they’re both important. I dismiss their differences with each other, because I see where they blend. And I got a lot from both of them.
>Filmmaker: What was it about them?
>White: With Pauline, it was her willingness to go against hype, even back in the ’60s. Hype always existed, now it’s just more pernicious than ever. But she was willing not to swallow it or follow it. And that impressed me. With Sarris, I loved his love of movies, which was a sophisticated love of cinema. He has a huge knowledge of film seemingly at his fingertips, and it’s not a buff’s knowledge, a geek’s knowledge, it’s a sophisticated artistic appreciation.

J. Hoberman is the GOAT.

Richard Brody.

I disagree with plenty of what Armond says but it's pretty pathetic how resentful normans get over him just because he has different opinions from them

>runs a blog for film reviews
>can't process films or afraid to have his own opinion on them so he asks for critics so he can just copypaste their opinion

What a spineless pathetic little turd you are

But he's right.

John Simon is pretty fun to read. The could be very harsh.

>can't process films or afraid to have his own opinion on them so he asks for critics so he can just copypaste their opinion

where the fuck did you get that idea from? what the fuck is wrong with you?

Jonathan Rosenbaum
I find his writing meh but his taste is very diverse

Friendly reminder that he retracted his statement on that.