What is the greatest action movie you've ever seen? Your favourite of all time?

What is the greatest action movie you've ever seen? Your favourite of all time?

Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aEt1ePZGHTY
youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

possibly T2 or TDK

Con Air pretty badass

well well well, if it is Reddit!

terminator 2

My favorite action movie is Die Hard.

Predator and Master & Commander

First Blood

/THREAD

You posted it but I also really like Face/off
Such a fun movie that doesn't take itself seriously and goes completely balls to the walls like MMFR

Its good but after seeing it twice I never felt like watching it again

It's a cliche, but I just love the structure of the Matrix. If I catch it while scrolling channels I'm watching the whole thing. Shame they never made any sequels

The Raid 2 is the best martial arts movie I've ever seen. Any martial arts flicks that have better action and/or are more entertaining than the Raid movies?

Black Hawk Downey jr

starship troopers

>starship troopers

Terminator 2

I agree, but a bluray just to see it in the highest quality again.

Crank 2: High Voltage

Starship Troopers has some great action set-pieces.

not the greatest but pic related is up there for me as an unexpected gem.

KEK this fucking picture.

probably the worst ott shit, the score is all that makes the landing at klendathu interesting

>TDK
>Great Action

Unironically The Rock. Back before Michael Bay dived headfirst into the realm of self-parody, his action sequences were pure kino.

youtube.com/watch?v=aEt1ePZGHTY

Predator will always hold a special place in my heart.

It's still quotable as fuck even now and people still parody it.

Batman Begins, IP Man

>they literally flip a real 18 wheeler in the middle of a street.
Yes, TDK actually was innovative in some action scenes.

>enough about my hand guys i just want to talk about this movie

A man after my own strawberry tart.

Pure action? Raid 2

Has action? Seven Samurai

Batman abducts a guy and gets picked up by a plane, without the plane ever landing.

The Raid, or the Raid 2.

Speaking of which, recently bought them and have yet to watch.

Fury Road was so mediocre. I don't know why so many people love it.

fultons are real things, user. They don't work exactly like they did in the film but they do exist.

either
1. you have extremely high standards
2. you don't watch a lot of action films

There are far too few other good action scenes in TDK, but that is definitely the best one.

The Batman introduction scene wasn't that great, we literally have Batman nearly losing because he can't turn his head. Every other fight scene with Batman is all rapid jump cuts (where bad guys spontaneously move closer to Batman) and that lame ass elbow fighting he does, like a goth t-rex trying to box.

Heath Ledger did earn that award though, he was great in it.

Your post is MEDIOCRE

I know. Don't care. Still a great action movie.

>TDK

the action is sloppy, ugly, laughable

>the action is sloppy, ugly, laughable
The action is your mother?

Fury Road is, to date, the only movie I've fallen asleep during. It is so, so bad. Unlikable characters with zero development or reasonable growth (lmao why does an indoctrinated warboy betray his family and god because his fee-fee's get hurt?). The movie is literally run into the desert, realize that's retarded, turn around and somehow slip past the convoy of fuck you that's been dogging them all movie, and then lock them out of the house they just escaped from (and obviously no one loyal to Immortan or interested in seizing power for themself is left, nope, like 5 sex slaves and a stranger are heralded as the leaders now). A one armed woman literally lifts and slams Mad Max in a maneuver that wins the fight (because a warboy and survivalist can obviously be overpowered by a cripple and 4 summer children). It's just the definition of "turn off your brain" to enjoy. Fucking plebian shit through and through. Go on, try and defend this garbage

I'm going through my mental list of action movies that really stuck with me and a lot of good shit pops up. John Wick, The Raid movies, Dredd, Big Trouble In Little China, the Crank movies, all of them are outstanding pieces of action filmmaking and should rightly be studied.

In my book though, nothing is gonna beat the charm and purity of John Woo's The Killer. Despite it showing its age a little, I can't think of any movie that matches it in terms of sheer gun-fu rage (and if you mention Equilibrium I'll fucking kill you). The story's simple as fuck, but with just enough depth for you to care about the characters and feel when shit happens to them. It's got enough substance to justify the style, and this movie has style coming out the ass.

I've yet to see Hard Boiled though. That could very well top it.

well, I think with TDK it's a case of "brevity is the soul of wit", or "less is more". I remember scenes in TDK more than I do TDKR because of how isolated the action was. In a good way though, it felt like the action had more weight to it.

I can't stand all this ADHD bullshit with late 2000s action films or remakes where there is no room to breathe, or the action doesn't mean anything.

rekt

Is this a pasta? I feel like this is a pasta.

That's why I liked Batman Begins a lot, the earlier parts where you don't even see Batman fighting and it's almost a horror movie where the hero is the monster picking people off from the shadows.

I haven't seen Begins in a while, so I can't remember if the fight scenes later in the movie were any good or not.

And I've always wondered if the Batman-cancer-voice was Bale's idea for characterization or was it Nolan's vision that he sound like that?

Just made it steaming hot, enjoy
Also you haven't done anything to imply this but
I've literally never heard an argument to my points, just some cut and paste shit about colors and witness me, please someone try and convince me this is a movie with good characters, a reasonable plot, and good finale

>obviously

faggot
starship troopers is pure kino

How is this an action film?

I won't defend the plot, it makes no fucking sense if you think about it. Even putting it in the context of the Hero's Journey having them literally go back the way they came with the antagonists in hot pursuit is a little fucking stupid.

The characters, however, I thought those were fairly well thought out. Nux's loss of religion in particular worked really well.

You see him in the first act, he's gung-ho, he wants to prove himself, the Immortan Joe is his personal Jesus and an honorable death will lead him into Valhalla.
Second act, he gets his chance to prove himself multiple times. Every time, though, he gets stopped by some outside force, and his faith is shaken to the point where he realizes that his beliefs aren't necessarily true and that the people he's been stuck with haven't been the bad guys.
Third act, with his faith now broken, he wants to redeem himself in any way he can, even going so far as to turn against his brothers. He's changed, and with it he's become a better person. It makes it that much more powerful when he sacrifices himself for the ones that turned him to the light.

Funny thing is, you can see this EXACT arc happening in Samurai Jack Season 5, with Ashi.

Because GREAT ASS

>please someone try and convince me this is a movie with good characters
movie was never really about anyone other than Imperator Furiosa

>tfw saw Fury Road and was disappointed
>tfw everyone here loves it for some reason

As for favorite action movie, either Face/Off or First Blood.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc

All of this is well and good, but a lot of it is you fluffing up what isn't there. Its what, 2 days total? 2 days he loses a lifetime of religion and camaraderie. The moment he betrays them is when Immortan watches him fail and says something along the lines of "pathetic". You can see it in his face, how that act of disgust from his god causes both despair and anger to truly rise up in Nux. But he isn't portrayed as the petulent traitor he is, they make him out as a hero who is seeing the error of his ways, when in reality the only logical reason he is acting the way he does is not because of a conscious but as a bratty child whose mad at dad. Again, the timeline reaaaaaly fucks this, within a day, hour even, he wrestles with existential crises and a loss of faith (and never once relapses, which would have gone a long way toward creating a believable character).

The only right answer

Are you asking how Heat is an action film? Are you retarded?

Don't know about best, but Hard Boiled has some pretty great action.

Greatest: Fury Road
Favourite: Equilibrium

The Raid 1 & 2

And she is a terrible character.The right hand of Immortan who not given a single moment to flesh out what that meant, the relationship they had, and what she did under him. Furthermore, the movie portrays the brides and Furiosa as being dichotomous to Immortan'a society, which they were raised in. Why does Furiosa, who was so vital to Immortan's reign, not share any of his values? She doesn't even have any of her own, she just saves the brides because of some weird guilt or something, while people die and are indoctrinated daily at the command of Immortan. Why does Mad Max give a single fuck that some privileged whores are upset with their husband when he's slaved in a world of suffering and hard choices his entire life? These people aren't even characters, and the moment I knew the writers didn't care about even pretending they were is when Furiosa walks off a bit in desert after finding the the old women, and lifelessly screams at the sky. Lmao.

>Again, the timeline reaaaaaly fucks this, within a day, hour even, he wrestles with existential crises and a loss of faith (and never once relapses, which would have gone a long way toward creating a believable character).

I can understand that I guess, him relapsing would have been seriously interesting. That's just kinda how I saw it though, but you're correct in saying that the timeline on this movie is a little fucky.

Honestly, one of the reasons it was hailed as one of the best action movies in years is that it simply WASN'T like anything on the market at the time. I think around that point we were kinda getting sick of movies that were too scared to take risks or just tell a story without shitting down the audience's throat with exposition. For its faults, Fury Road never once felt like someone said during production: "Y'know, I feel like audiences might not like this, it might be too out there". It gives you a basic hero's journey fired out of a fucking cannon through a flaming hoop.

I know this is diverging from my original point but I felt like it might provide some context.

>And she is a terrible character.
you must be trying to meme pretty hard here.

She's barely a character, faggot

Just because of all the mayhem these two cause in Miami. Underrated film especially that freeway scene

This is objectively wrong you overly-angry spaz.

Not me but thanks. Like I FUCKING SAID
They can never actually bring any points just some gay copy paste response, thanks for proving me right

The problem with Fury Road is all the stunt work in the world doesn't save the garbage plot.

Aliens, Die Hard, and T2 are still the greatest action movies ever made.

Buddy, do you really think nobody is capable of objectively defending this film? Do you just not talk to a lot of people or something?

It continues.
>Do you really think?1
I really think you can't, Buddy.

Then you just sound sheltered.

Also the people I talk to don't talk about pleb turbo furiosa road lmao

>Equilibrium

Please tell me this is bait.

Thanks for playing, anyone else wanna bat up and try and defend this movie? Or just keep sprouting memes to protect yourself?

But user that's a Power Ranger.

>IMMORTAN JOE A DINDU NUFFIN SLAVERY IS OKAY!

Mad Max:
>terrible cinematography
>no character development
>"main character" says literally 3 lines
>only interesting character gets killed
>unnecessary abortion scene
>filters - the movie
>utterly unbelievable post-apocalypse, especially compared to the previous installments
>cannot hear a word Immortan is saying
>reddit-tier antics like "WITNESS ME"
>Valhalla is spelled with a W in the movie
>pointless sandstorm that looked terrible
>obvious scenes that were meant to "pop out" for 3D viewers

wat there are sequels

You sound like a cringy 14 year old, holy shit.

I don't know if its the greatest I've ever seen but my favorite action movie is Saving Private Ryan

People defend the action set pieces the most, kiddo. Which are pretty stunning when put up next to other films. A lot of practical effects went into much of the chase sequence, which is most of the film. The plot has holes in it but nobody has ever said the plot was perfect you autistic faggot. Furiosa has enough motivation to underpin the larger action sequences happening around her. It's serviceable.

At the end of the day, you are going to have to learn to cope with the fact that people like a film that you don't.

Furiosa is a character in my opinion, but as with my defense of Nux a lot of it might just be me reading into it.

She's a trusted ally of the Immortan, who got that way by biding her time and gaining his trust after being taken from the Green Place. We can kinda see this when she says with pretty clear certainty how long she's been away from home (plus the days she doesn't remember). In that, we get the sense that this plan was a long time in the making. The arm loss might have been the result of a previous escape attempt. I don't think it's ever really explained why she chose those 5 particular wives to free, but imo it might have been her ultimate "Fuck You" to Joe.

Her motivation is pretty simple, but it doesn't make sense if you think about it. Her entire plan is fueled by fury (see what I did there) so she didn't fully consider all the variables involved.

Could also be that she assumed the Green Place was gonna be a lot more heavily fortified than it was, so they could fend off the whole army with an army of their own bitches.

PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS YOU FUCKING FAGGOT. This is "You're a fucking white male"-tier arguments.

I'm a pleb of the highest caliber but I'm at least making a fucking attempt here son

Furiosa muh stronk womanz iz gud charcter

>terrible cinematography
you are straight up memeing here.
>no character development
literally untrue, there is enough to service the story.
>"main character" says literally 3 lines
Mad Max films have never been about Max.
>only interesting character gets killed
subjective.
>unnecessary abortion scene
I guess you missed how that played into the concept of "legacy" that Joe was obsessed with, moralfag.
>filters - the movie
There is one filter.
>utterly unbelievable post-apocalypse, especially compared to the previous installments
What in the fuck does this mean?
>cannot hear a word Immortan is saying
I'll give you this one, the sound mixing for him is awful.
>reddit-tier antics like "WITNESS ME"
Are you new to Mad Max?
>Valhalla is spelled with a W in the movie
This is just you being autistic.
>pointless sandstorm that looked terrible
How was it pointless? It literally had a point in the story.
>obvious scenes that were meant to "pop out" for 3D viewers
Explain which scene you are specifically complaining about and why it didn't.

>This is "You're a fucking white male"-tier arguments.
lol fucking what?

watch some jackie chan hong kong kino

All of this movie

Look if you want the really real opinion you'll get it, I just wanted everyone to know 1. I think it sucks. 2. No one has ever given me coherent reasoning for why it sucks. This is still true. 2 people have defended Fury Road so far and it boiled down to "I like it".
Immortan created the highest form of working society we see. He is the head of said societies religion. He only cares about pureblood children/brides, so he isn't subjugating and raping women on a mass basis (considering Furiosa helda leadership position). He gives water to his people. I'm sure Immortan is a baby eating psychopath; but they never show or tell us this in the movie. In the movie Immortan is humanities best chance for a future, and is the only man holding multiple border towns under 1 banner (you think Immortan's village and the fucking gun village or whatever are still gonna be peaceful in a week?) The movie barely touches any of the logistical or social aspects of the original world they live in. Maybe if we saw some of the things right and wrong with Immortan and his way, than we would care about a group of whiny bitches who have lived like relative princesses. There is a scene where a fucking bride stands in front of Furiosa, Nux, and Max and unironically says she'll kill herself before suffering at the hands of Immortan again. How fucking arrogant can you be? The movie has a childish grasp on right and wrong, and how they two can be intertwined. Immortan grieves the loss of a child during the events of the movie, and Furiosa screams at the sky because her retarded childhood make believe land isn't real. To go on, if the "action" makes it so great, why is the majority of it warboys jumping in front of their vehicles for no reason? Logically, there is absolutely no reason why they aren't all killed without a single casualty to Immortan's superior numbers and arsenal, except for retarded writing. Every human being in the movie doesn't act like one.

>2 people have defended Fury Road so far and it boiled down to "I like it".
That's art, kiddo...it's the only way it works.

Repetitive arguments that don't actually refute anything that is being said, rather simply discrediting your opponent for who they are.

Remember? This faggot and the whole "You're a fucking white male!" thing? Was it really that long ago?

Not everyone wants to speak in three to four year old memes.

>He only cares about pureblood children/brides
lol what?
not once was anything like this alluded to in the flick
he had a harem of the best looking women because he was the baddest dude in the group

I'm not going to repeat the dozen classics that have already been said, but i'll add Bloodsport and Desperado.

A lot of apologetics for Joe here.

Whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels. Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the “loser,” and I eat the inferior one immediately. The winner gets to go another round. I have found that, in general, the brown and red M&Ms are tougher, and the newer blue ones are genetically inferior. I have hypothesized that the blue M&Ms as a race cannot survive long in the intense theater of competition that is the modern candy and snack-food world. Occasionally I will get a mutation, a candy that is misshapen, or pointier, or flatter than the rest. Almost invariably this proves to be a weakness, but on very rare occasions it gives the candy extra strength. In this way, the species continues to adapt to its environment. When I reach the end of the pack, I am left with one M&M, the strongest of the herd. Since it would make no sense to eat this one as well, I pack it neatly in an envelope and send it to M&M Mars, A Division of Mars, Inc., Hackettstown, NJ 17840-1503 U.S.A., along with a 3×5 card reading, “Please use this M&M for breeding purposes.” This week they wrote back to thank me, and sent me a coupon for a free 1/2 pound bag of plain M&Ms. I consider this “grant money.” I have set aside the weekend for a grand tournament. From a field of hundreds, we will discover the True Champion. There can be only one.

>Maybe if we saw some of the things right and wrong with Immortan and his way, than we would care about a group of whiny bitches who have lived like relative princesses.
Y'know I watched through a couple of the deleted scenes and they would have actually fleshed out how fucked up this society was. A baby is getting hoisted to the platform that the vehicles go up on because one of the peasants wants her legacy to live on in a Warboy, and that old bitch that tried to shoot at Joe gets tossed to the crows. They look shitty without CG (probably why they were cut) but they would have helped flesh it out a little more.

I know it doesn't help since they're deleted scenes but they had a plan for it at least.

...what is this?

>T2
mah nigga
>TDK
you have to go back