Rogue One

Why did everyone hate on this when it came out? I just saw it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were few things didn't work, like Tarkin's CGI and the shoe-inned callbacks to the Original Trilogy, but those were few and far between. Everyone complained about the quips but there weren't even that many compared to what Marvel is putting out. Overall I enjoyed the tone of the movie, the action sequences, and way the relationship between the girl and the french dude developed over time, and the movies overall message that even a shitty life full of pain can be turned into something worthwhile through love and fighting for something bigger than yourself.

What does Sup Forums think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3HRiRy-gooo
youtube.com/watch?v=8OpMRRgTseI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuck off turblopleb

It was shit. Worst than Suicide Squad.

Extremely boring

Shitty characters, bad dialogue. Vader scene was the best part. Luckily I woke up for that.

NO ONE HATED IT

Jealous reyfags

The only two characters I cared about were Galen and Krennic. Jyn was ok though.

People are already fatigued by Disney Wars. I remember the spam and excitement here on Sup Forums after the first TFA trailer was released. This new trailer didn't even begin to compare. Their use of voice overs, nostalgia pandering and manipulation of the soundtrack already feels played out. Their schtick is up.

Too dark.

I brought my family to see this and my son ended up crying. This wasn't the Star Wars that I knew and grew up with. I don't understand how you can go from the best Star Wars and family fun that The Force Awakens brought to this.

so just like the original OT

why people hate this again?

Most people on here liked it when it came out. It was only after Red Letter media made a review that people started shitting on it

I literally don't know any of the character's names besides Jyn. Did they ever refer to "The Imperial Pilot" by name?

>main 2 characters die in melencholia esque planet destruction scene
>imperial fleet destroys much of the rebels
>cut to Vader slaughtering the rebels
>cut to shitty cgi Leia
>"what did they give us?"
>"hope"
>abrupt wipe transition to the credits accompanied by the cheerful starwars fanfare
Are you fucking kidding me? The editing and pacing were atrocious in this movie. The end is so awful I burst out laughing, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Also
>this bitch couldn't cry for her life
>she cris more sing his hologram then his dead body
>Forest sounded like a chain smoking Abraham Lincoln
>built up to be an important character and dies like 45 minutes in after having like 3 scenes
>her dad could have just put in that hologram "shoot a torpedo into the exhaust port" instead of his cryptic I designed a weakness bullshit
>all the characters die offscreen

youtube.com/watch?v=3HRiRy-gooo
how can anyone hate this cast?
I loved them all to be honest with you

>that look
>you JUST KNOW

I don't think it's bad, but it's certainly not great. It's the very definition of a 6/10 movie.

Better than the Force Awakens in every way, but that isn't saying much

too many quips
too many characters

I fell aspleep midway. Never happened before. Any how it is still better than TFA. Despite the cringe bunny lead and the quips.

Anyone defending TFA should be skinned alive

Besides, the way Rogue ends is a great thing because it means we wont see those shitty actors ever again. This alone made it 10 times better

Jesus fuck, is she actually the result of a genetic experiment involving rabbits?

>the relationship between the girl and the french dude developed over tim
Come on now.
He was the worst thing of the movie. Other than him it was goay.

It was too bleak and none of the characters were interesting or cool, besides maybe the blind Jedi guy. The action at the end was pretty neat and some of the best out of all the movies, but beyond that there's nothing memorable about the movie, there's nothing that would keep you coming back to it.

I don't really remember the names, but at least he had characterization and an arc - the scared timid guy who was out of his depth who finds courage at the end

Yeah, I agree the ending was jarring. I don't think much would been added by seeing all the characters limbs blow off though.

>the shoe-inned callbacks to the Original Trilogy

are you fucking kidding me its ends literally 5 seconds before ANH

He's a good looking guy.

for a mexican

I don't mean the overall plot of the movie, I mean the cameos that don't really fit in to the tone of the rest of the movie. Like during off the massive D-Day battle sequence when it cuts to R2D2 and C3PO for no reason going "Oh myyyyyyy". I feel like the director didn't want to put that him but the higher ups forced him too. Same with the whole Jimmy Schmidts things.

I feel like a lot of you went in expecting a certain type of movie and a lot of the emotional stuff went over your heads.

They're both British.

>Why did everyone hate on this when it came out?
It was a minuscule group of RLM cultists. Everyone else loved it.

Is it worth the rental fee on my PVR?

even with heaps of fanservice bait and 'safe' plays for disney to hedge their bets (no idea why, this movie would make 500 mil even with horrible press), it was still 10x better than TFA

jewjew is a fucking hack

TFA fanatics seemed to hate it for being too dark, but everyone who had a problem with the work of Jar Jar Abrams at least seemed to agree that even if it wasn't a great movie Rogue One was definitely the better of the two

Diego is a mexican

The jr high contrarians on Sup Forums who hate everything aren't "everyone". They just have no lives, have one track minds and spend all day every day being obsessively butthurt making them seem like they are bigger in numbers than they are.

I think it had the best action of any SW film and the battle on the beach up until the Vader scene was truly glorious. Everything else though was pretty shitty. I'd still rank it as fourth best in the series though.

I don't get the meme about the characters not having personality.
Jyn and Cassian did and their motivations was clear, the others had way less but still had enough.

>I'm dumb

what did he mean by this?

Reminder that the Star Wars aesthetic is to appropriate classic forms.

This is your classic WW2 espionage em up. Even starts off with Danny Mays getting betrayed in Switzerland. Everything else runs as expected with the expected characters.

I guess you either like the genre conventions or you don't. Bit surprised Sup Forums doesnt know where to place this though.

Disney movies are suppose to be family movies, not dark, death and despair movies.

Best action in any Star Wars ever. I hope they make a million more "standalone" Star Wars...with lots of pew pew pew. Disney saves the day again. Give me a mickey mouse hat and a slutty disney princess to jerk off too anyday. Fuck Lucas.

the leia part at the end almost ruined the entire move for me.
>"Hope"

F U C K O F F

Could explain why I liked the movie as I'm a big fan of those WW2 espionage movies like Where Eagles Dare

youtube.com/watch?v=8OpMRRgTseI

>everyone

Sup Forums doesn't work like this

>F U C K O F F
It's literally a prequel to the first stars wars movie...called...

A..New...HOPE

Sammy literally asked for a purple grape drink lightsabre. What did he mean by this?

(You)
>Things That Went Over Generation Autismo's Heads for 5000... Alex

You must have high estrogen and I bet your wanker of a son would end up gay in future. Toughen up lad ya cheeky bastard

i dont care. it was hamfisted trash for nostalgia nerds. i am glad carrie is dead.

he has patrician taste in saber color

i watched this back to back with The Force Awakens last night and it just put into context how depressing the entire series is. Filmmaking quality set aside, the entire saga is a series of horrifying, tragic, demoralizing defeats and massacres, with small punctuations of fleeting joy and naiveté, followed by decades of more destruction and defeat.

this all started with ESB, i guess. the need to make sequels and prequels and continue the drama just makes the scale of the victories in any of the film so insignificant.

SW universe is a fucking waste.

>galaxy of trillions of sentient creatures
>they run into two of the same random pieces of shit that Luke runs into in a backwater cantina like 3 days later
What was the point of this?

Rated PG-13. Like Revenge of the Sith. The OT are PG, which also have heads and arms being chopped off!

The relationships in Rogue One are sadder. I think they wanted to play up how evil the Empire was....but then they added Vader kicking ass and it was silly. The visuals and side characters kind of save this one, and I do think it was better than TFA.

You're obviously a total loser and completely irrelevant.

>hamfisted trash for nostalgia nerds
Almost like its a prequel...a movie whose entire purpose is to feed nostaliga...a movie you chose to watch for that very purpose. Don't be mad at carry fisher's cgi chost and try to project your embarrassment from having such a painfully obvious line and reference in the movie go over your head.

At least it's still better than the Starkiller death ray being visible across the galaxy

A million times better than TFA. It actually felt like a Star Wars movie, No Mary Sue main character. Loved the idea of a guy who would basically be a Jedi if the Jedi were around. The very limited use of a lightsaber made the one scene amazing. Not ESB or ANH level but maybe ROTJ level. Though I'm possibly being to generous by comparing it to the pos that was TFA.

TFA is fucking trash, and I wasn't implying otherwise. As soon as I heard their nonsensical excuse for why the Republic was somehow still the rebellion against an empire they had defeat decades before I just checked out. Movie was fucking terrible.

This still doesn't excuse Rogue One's unneeded pandering with these two bit characters showing up when it doesn't make any sense.

The point is for normal well adjusted people who are fans of the original movies to have a momentary homage as speckled throughout such movies and for people with social disorders like yourself to get triggered into displays such as your post wherein you try to act above it all thinking it will impress people but really just reaffirms you belong as a social outcast.

>the idea of a guy who would basically be a Jedi if the Jedi were around
I didn't get the implication that he was force sensitive. He was more than old enough to have been trained by the Jedi when they were still around. He just wasn't force sensitive. He just believed in the force.

>Vader scene was the best part.

The worst part of the entire franchise.

Because they turns Star Wars into a war movie

People liked it, Sup Forums just gets off on being contrarian

>ad hominems instead of actual arguments
kys

It's shoo-in, not shoe in. You're thinking of shoehorning anyway. A shoo-in means a dead cert.

t. Assblasted Trekkie

Honestly i liked it better than The Force Awakens

Characters were better in Rogue One despite all the complaints about them being shallow. Not saying they arent shallow, but its fucking ridiculous to claim that the characters in The Force Awakens arent either. Kylo Ren being the only exception. Kylo is better than any Rogue One character but other than him Rogue One cast stomps TFA. Even Han Solo was shit in TFA.

Action scenes were way better in Rogue One and its not even fucking close. The lightsaber fight between Kylo and Rey was alright and the TRAITOR scene was cool too, but the whole Scarif battle was just amazing.

Rogue One wasnt exactly original, but at least it wasnt a bland reskinned version of another star wars movie. MUH BEACH PLANET isnt that original either but again it beats a shitty rehash of other planets. Jedda was a more interesting location than anywhere visited in TFA.
CGI Tarkin was a weird choice and the quips were fucking annoying (especially Vaders) but overall much better than TFA

5>4>6=3>RO>TFA>1>2>

Just putting things into perspective, having every person in the cantina scene in A New Hope infiltrating every story was what the EU did wrong as well, it's nostalgia bait, but it's so short you can ignore it

In TFA Jar Jar Abrams basically shatters the suspension of disbelief so hard it makes you feel uneasy in your stomach

>autism splerg
>why how come random old movie reference in new movie how come things happen, how come stuff this that wa
That was an actual "argument", as if someone needs to 'argue' or explain to you as if you're a mentally handicapped child the concept or point of a easter egg reference of an old movie in a new movie. Baby's first time at the movies.

I also enjoyed it

I liked the cameo of kyle katarn and jan ors

>it's dark only when the rebels die
>it's dark only when the music is

Fucking fag genetics

Didn't Sup Forums like this when it first came out?

kylo ren is trash. finn is good.

you think a bunch of underdogs dying for something larger than themselves and overall inspiring hope for desperate cause is darker than a son murdering his own father while he coldly stares into his eyes and throws his body into a chasm?

>Same with the whole Jimmy Schmidts things.
At least that made sense to the character, he was a supporter of the rebellion. And at least it wasnt CGI Jimmy Smits.
Leia being on the ship inside the other ship was kind of stupid. Also wonder how the fuck she tries to sell the "diplomatic mission from alderaan" if they were chased from a rebel assault in ANH.

It felt like a story from the old EU. If they would have changed the setting and a few minor details it would have been a better episode 7 than TFA.

I didn't like it. The trailer made me way too hype for it and the movie disappointed. The CGI was noticeable, the plot was all over the place, and there were a lot of pointless scenes. It wasn't a bad movie and it did some good things like explaining why the Death Star would have such an obvious weakness, but all of that could have just been done in a book.

I expected more or less the Empire fucking shit up and that didn't happen.

>sperg
>baby
>continuing the ad hominem
Also, the MC interacting with someone isn't an easter egg.

>bred from birth to be a stormtrooper and fight for the first order
>is somehow completely unaffected by this brainwashing and is pure hearted and noble
>literally no conflict in him as he kills people he likely grew up and trained with all his life
>even though at the start of the movie he hated killing and left the First Order because he didnt want to kill
>cries out in anger when Han Solo dies even though he knew him for like two days max
>almost for the entire movie he is just shouting about Rey

Great "character" youve got there

>Kylo
>good character

it's one dimensional as fuck and totally out of place

Why did you have to remind my autism of that sequence?

All it makes me want to do is kidnap JJ Abrams, lock him up in my basement, and force him to watch, A Clockwork Orange-style, the worst, least-consistent parts of TFA over and over again while I cut off his fingers and toes knuckle by knuckle.

>He just wasn't force sensitive.
Blind nigger samurai wasn't force sensitive? Please son. He even talks about sensing the force flowing darkly in cassian, and one shots a TIE with his bo-staff caster.
The implication was that he was a jedi that survived the purge because he played the part of a blind beggar. Just like zaitoichi.
A cross between the more sagelike obi wan and yoda in the OT and the backflipping ninja jedi in the prequels.

>a son murdering his own father while he coldly stares into his eyes and throws his body into a chasm?
Wut

Did you just not fucking watch The Force Awakens?

>The trailer made me way too hype for it
This is why you ignore stupid marketing blitzes. All you're doing is setting yourself up for unrealistic expectations.
t. Grandpa who was a teenager when the prequels came out

Hey im not saying he is a masterpiece of character writing but he stands up better than all the other nu star wars characters.

>The trailer made me way too hype for it

Thats because that first trailer is for a completely different movie. It was cut before the kikesecutives from Disney demanded reshoots because it was "too dark" AKA couldn't sell toys.

I was super hype off that initial trailer as well. Its a damn shame it got meddled with. Might have ended up quite good and proved you can do something dark with the property.

Rogue One as released is completely forgettable.

Bad taste. Rebel soldiers acted well and the camera shots were great. Brainlet.

Totaly wiped it from my memory desu. I thought you were talking retarded about RotJ.
I guess I'm the asshole.

nah lad
But the Han Solo death scene and now that i think of it, the entire republic system being incinerated, is way darker than anything in Rogue One
TFA was such a goddamn mess

When did Jedi ever need to do mantras and shit to do Force things? He was just a monk in some kind of Force inspired religion.

How does Sup Forums let people get away with saying these things? That's extremely offensive to myself and my family. We wanted to enjoy a nice night out seeing Star Wars and what we got in return was heartbreak.

We deserve better than this Disney.

It was good, but anything that says "Star Wars" will be hated from now on. The same people who cry about muh female lead didn't have a problem with Princess Leia strangling a 2000lb mob boss with her skinny little arms.

The original trilogy was pretty good.

The prequels were also pretty good.

JewJew Abrams' films will all be shit

I wanted to hate Rogue One but it was excellent.

>the prequels were also pretty good
you mean Revenge of the Sith was pretty good

I just assumed he was more force sensitive than a normal person but not enough to be a jedi so instead he was a guard on that temple in the city

The whole first hour of the movie mainly the Saw Gerrera plotline was pointless and should have been cut.

Objectively the best Star Wars movie ever made.

>the entire republic system being incinerated, is way darker than anything in Rogue One
The problem is that I don't know what planet got blowed up, so I dont know if I should care.
I dont need to know much. All ANH let us know was that Aldaraan is Leia's homeworld, and that its a pacifist world. Got it. You've established that the empire are unambiguously bad guys, and that they didn't deserve it.
In TFA we get an awful babby hitler speech and then some planet thats coruscant, or not coruscant, or some other dumb shit gets blown up by a SUPER death star the size of a planet that eats suns, which is a more destructive weapon than blowing up 5 planets.
JJ is just a shitty director than cant establish anything in his movies properly and doesn't know how scale works.

Or give him some kind of payoff. PTSD Ghost dog deserves better.

>JJ is just a shitty director
why the fuck does nobody else realize this