>A NIGHTMARE TO OTHERS

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_4I_zbi3Sak
youtube.com/watch?v=1YOL-Cm5RmQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DaDo9PyCeLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Mt8Dt9rXl3I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My favorite scene in that kino.

I just watched this last night actually. I was left thinking that it would be cool if they remade it faithfully. It seems like all the modern adaptations skimp out on the brutality and philosophy that made the story compelling.

But there is no modern equivalent of Williamson nowadays to pull it off.

say it

It needs no remake. It's perfect as it is.

nah
>your lust will hold you up
My favorite scene youtube.com/watch?v=_4I_zbi3Sak

DEMONS TO SOME
ANGELS TO OTHERS

Excalibur fucking rules.

Excalibur is really a special movie

really good one, watch it if you haven't already

>Remake
>implying it wouldn't become shoehorned SJW propaganda

LOOK INTO THE EYES OF THE DRAGON AND DESPAIR.

There will never again be a Merlin this fucking great.

The idea of the dragon being the world itself was so good it's hard to believe they came up with it just because the budget was too low to depict a dragon.

Sometimes limitations are the greatest gift to creativity. Something we'll never see in filmmaking again, unfortunately.

Uther must have really wanted to tap that ass something fierce to go through all that trouble.

>dragon being the world itself
>they came up with it
what is jörmungandr?

>You will never see better Knight Kino than this

What a masterpiece for its time

I like how the director cast Mirren and Williamson KNOWING that they had a failed affair and despised one another, just to get that reaction.

No, neither knew at the time.

If this was remade it would look very very bad. Why would you suggest such a thing? Nothing remade is faithful. It would be shot all in green screen and be PG-13.

well yea
youtube.com/watch?v=1YOL-Cm5RmQ

>Kino movie
>Parsifal (Prelude) starts playing

There is literally no way, no way at all, whatsoever that a remake made in this day and age wouldn't utterly and completely ruin the story with quips, memes and sjw propaganda.

I loved that so much, and that Merlin was less a "wizard" as much as he was just the conduit of the Dragon's power and will. Or at least that's the impression I was left with.

I bought the soundtrack to this film.

He seemed human enough, in some ways, fallible. Falling into the creek trying to catch a fish. "And its forked tongue strikes ... like lightning! Yes, that's it!"

And when Arthur has Uryens knight him: "What's this? I never saw that!"

I think Merlin is a great magician because he understand the Dragon and tries not to defy it.

They will remake it if you are ready for Arthur to be a female.

Not him
but no wtf is jormangader?

True. I liked him getting slowly more exasperated during this scene.

youtube.com/watch?v=DaDo9PyCeLQ

This speech right here will be with me till the day I die.

Jormungandr is the world serpent from Norse mythology. It is what kills Thor in the prophecy.

For it is the doom of men that they forget ...

Just so damn powerful.

the world serpent, prob what they based ther dragon on in this the spell of making is mostly celtic though, its like they took from various druidic philosophy's and incorporated it all into merlin, including being humble and an arrogant prick at the same time, its pretty great

Is this the one where the girl goes "You said you'd make me bootiful. You twicked me!"

That was an in-family meme for a long time in my house.

Wait no. "That's not magic. That's a twick!"

That was the meme. The bootiful thing is different.

Nope, you're thinking of one with Helena Bonham Carter.

My favorite fantasy film, bar none. One of the most aesthetic films ever made. I'd love to see directors from across the world do a take on it and make it just as triumphant and, let's face it, insane.

>chink excalibur done by Wong Kar Wai
>kimchi excalibur done by Kim Jee Woon
>nip excalibur done by Takashi Miike
>nigger excalibur done by Steve McQueen
>vatnik excalibur done by Kusturica
>wymyn ecalibur done by Julie Taymor

no thats 'merlin' also good, martin short is great as is richardson as mab, sam neill as merlin isn't bad himself, but its shit compared to Excalibur, well worth a watch tho

Sam Neill is the best Merlin tebehe. Rutger Hauer was great in it too.

The music in this movie so damn amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=Mt8Dt9rXl3I

>indonesian martial arts Excalibur with the entire Raid crew

What a fucking way to go

no willimson is the best merlin, Sams pretty great too though so is rutger in everything
>tat beach scene when merlins railing at mab
kino

Maybe it's just me liking Neill as an actor. He's been putting 10/10 stuff for almost 4 decades now, the magnificent kiwi bastard

yea hes pretty excellent, doesn't get enough love, no matter what he's in he makes it better, and it was a great Merlin

*36 years to be precise. Saw Jurassic Park on TV on a slow night at work. Forgot just how good his performance is, he really elevates the film.

>dead calm
>the invisble man
>mouth of madness
he's comfy af

>hunt for the red october
>event horizon
>the hunter
>tudors
>peaky blinders

He's great

>hunt for the red october

His death there really hit me. Poor guy.

>tfw ywn see Montana

What sucks is when it first came out, there was no soundtrack.
I remember looking and looking and never finding it, then finding out one was never released.
So I hunted down all the pieces separately, and made my own.

Then years later they finally released one. Along with some of the incidental music.

>Not watching Fate/Zero
Pleb

but did you make a master tape using a double stacked tape player? or were you the kind of asshole that had to constantly change the tape?

Ran lines into my reel to reel from the turntable/amp and made a master copy, then periodically make new cassettes from that as they wore out.

Between that and Pic related I had Arthurian music to keep me company for years.

nice, I just stacked up cassettes, but then I'm probably younger then you

Does anyone else feel like Excalibur is the best Wagnerian epic ever put to film?

There's this. There's Conan. And there's Dragonslayer. When it comes to fantasy, accept no substitutes.

Strictly speaking though, Jörmungandr isn't the world in itself (that being Miðgarðr). Rather, it resides in the great ocean surrounding the world, and, indeed, is sufficiently large to completely encircle Miðgarðr (such that it could bite its own tail).

Totally. Has anyone anywhere ever attempted to adapt the Ring Cycle to film?

Very true. I've always thought it would be cool to have Jormungandr be an ocean current or even the jetstream in a film.

Agreed, though it isn't a specific adaptation of any of Wagner's works it perfectly captures the melodrama and sweeping emotion of his epics. Doesn't hurt that they use his music as well.

>I have often thought that in the hereafter of our lives, when I owe no more to the future and can be just a man, that we may meet, and you will come to me and claim me as yours, and know that I am your husband. It is a dream I have...

>I'm probably younger then you
Yup

>then
If I could reach you, I'd hurt you.

come on man, they took the idea from jörm e.g. norse legend, celtic legend and Le Morte d'Arthur of course nothing wrong with that its great, but the legend of the world serpent is clearly where they got the idea of the dragon from in Excalibur

That's beautiful.

come at me 50yr old fgt, 35 here i will fuck u up my bro

Not him, but I agree. The concept is there. It's also reminiscent of ley lines and geomancy,

A few here and there.
Most famous was 2 films by Fritz Lang in 1924

I took this as actually being a parting rebuke of his toward her with the sentiments being disjointed. He goes to her and forgives her because the kingdom needs its queen to be fully restored, then he describes what he desires in the after life. The way he delivers the last line though seems like he's saying "but I know that could never happen" because they were always enamored by one another, never truly entwined by mutual priorities or love. "It is a dream I have" seems like him saying "I know you'll never understand me, so loving you is a pipe dream" which is why he goes off to die recklessly without worrying about living with her.

If I had any criticisms of this movie aside from the fact that some of it is a little dated, it's that they didn't have enough time or didn't care to explore Morgan and Mordred a bit further. In particular I think that Mordred is a really great but tragic character that could have been expanded on.

Thanks! I'd like to see a modern adaptation, maybe prose with the opera as the soundtrack.

You mean "The music in Wagner's 'Siegfried' is so damn amazing."
Oh I just love it when other pieces of fiction steal some material from an already existing source, because they couldn't bother coming up with their own, such as the music.

Well Gotterdämmerung in this case but that's the sequel Opera to Siegfried you get my point.

>2017 remake
>Arthur is actually Arteria a woman pretending to be a man to succeed in the patriarchy
>Lancelot a black man played by Idris Elba
>One knight a a Muslim woman played by Tessa Thompson
>Film mostly focuses on the evils of Christianity against women, muslims and minorities who bravely resist
>All the good characters are Muslims being assaulted by drunk jeering knights as Arteria looks on in disgust
>She tries to reform the knights of the round table with the help of Merlinia played by Amy Schumer

>Modern retelling of Arthurian legend
>Lancelot is black
I wonder who could be behind this.

I liked Dark Souls because it reminded me of Excalibur.

Nobody shall wield Excalibur...

BUT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Using the prelude to Parsifal is cheating. Without Wagner's music the film would've been an unwatchable mess.

Great film, great thread.

People forget based Patrick Stewart was a knight in this movie.

>I will build a...
>ROUND TABLE
roll credits