Why didn't they just fire him? He was literally paid to be a butler...

Why didn't they just fire him? He was literally paid to be a butler, yet was seemingly unable to do even the smallest tasks without showing open disdain for his employers, and when he finally got around to his JOB he was literally paid for he would make sure to blatantly disrespect them with some sassy quip.

You can't fire blacks.

The butler on the nanny did the same thing too

Niles was a generational manservant, his ancestors had always been valets to the Sheffield family since the 1300s

Same with the maid on the Jeffersons.

I guess wealthy blacks are willing to tolerate sass-talk from their hired help.

You never saw the Brady Bunch maid Alice giving any sass-talk, she was just interested in Sam's meat.

>implying I wouldn't enjoy a sassy butler

Why would they care if he's sassy? He is literally a servant to a wealthy family. Nothing he says will change that.

It's a TV show. He wasn't really employed by a rich family in Bel-Air. He was reading from a script and playing a comedy role

He saved uncle Phil's life, that's how he got the job in the first place. He was homeless back then.

>make me a sandwich
>"noh"

Why is he getting paid 100k a year to NOT work?

He swindled me!

Maybe he's actually hired to provide sassy quips.

That's honestly disturbing.

>He was homeless back then.

I can't imagine a black britishman going hobo in Bel Air. Better go back to Bongistan.

I feel like there was supposed to be some sort of social commentary on how he's a wage slave working underneath people that are the descendents of slaves and how they can't really be too angry at him for resenting them because they realize this.

What's a woman?

He was about to return to bongistan when a criminal tried to run over Uncle Phil cuz he was the judge preciding his case and he pushed Phil outta the way saving his life.
this was before Uncle Phil became obese.

pillowy mounds of mashed potatoes

At face value the concept kind of irritates me too but objectively life and work are shit for 99.995% of everybody who's ever lived so whatever

I like how he was a low key sexual deviant

Geoffrey was only human but yes he was chicken and waffles.

Don`t know, but a man is a pile of secrets

Mr. Belvedere too.

The assumption is always that they're so competent at their jobs that they're indispensable. So what if you have to deal with a few (arguably true) insulting observations so long as your shirts are ironed, your toilet is always sparkling clean and you can be 90% sure he isn't stealing from you? Those qualities are pretty hard to find.

>won't even make his boss' son a sandwich
What can you say about Geoffrey?

He was Geoffrey.

Now you get off your horny little butts and you find Geoffrey and you find Geoffrey and you find Geoffrey

Ree-ee-ee-e-e

It's because Niles was as much a family member to them at that point. This is the same for a lot of rich families as they often have servants staying with them for generations. It's not uncommon for children of rich parents to feel a greater connection with their nannies and butlers than their parents themselves. So in Niles' case he'd just been with the family for a long time and they were willing to put up with his sass because he was basically family at that point.

crackheads and debutantes

It's no different from cop-families or plumber-families really, except valet-families have better job security.

men are supposed to be self sufficient.
the big man probably gives near zero fucks if he helps will or carlton past the early teens.

Niles?

at least the nigga works and wears an uniform

This bitch didnt even pick up after charlie or even made him breakfast.

This. As long as you knew you still held the power it'd be fun to have a sassy butler.

Same thing with having an underling speaking his mind to call you on your shit and keep you grounded in your job. As long as you know you're still running the show it's all good. If he starts giving you advice when you don't want it, or think he can run the show, then it's time to cut him loose.

I forget about that show

Wasn't she just a maid hired to do laundry, though? Like, exclusively. Maybe a bit of dusting.

You swindled me!
I was planning to spend that money on POT

CHICKEN SIR

She's basically just hired to shout at Charlie's family

Kings would hire jesters and these people were the only ones who were allowed to make fun of the king.
Being able to laugh at your failures makes you grow.

Now who's being naive?

>he doesn't appreciate geoffrey's god-tier banter

When you have the same butler for years the relationship goes beyond that of a employer-employee. and becomes more like friendship.