Why didn't they fly the eagles to Mount Doom?

Why didn't they fly the eagles to Mount Doom?

Sauron can shoot laser beams from his eye that could stop the eagles

I dont know search for the last 3 million times this question has been answered. I don't have the energy today.

But, they could on landed just outside the perimeter and took months off the trip.

because movies must end with ex-machina airforce coming to save the day

lol

can you tell me why they didnt fly the eagles like 90% of the way there and then walked the rest to stay undetected

Literally the same answer.

Why didn't Galadriel just riverdance to mordor with the ring

Eye of sauron would have fucked the eagles up.

Also, the ring would have corrupted the will of the eagles

Bullshit

>used to love olgaf
>haven't read it in years
>check it out again
>it's not funny at all

damn...

i think they just don't give a shit about middle earthers
no offense but the eagles hang out with guys like manwe

Because she was too busy protecting her people with her Ring. Literally the only reason the Elves weren't all dead was cause they created realms where they didn't die with the ring. Apart from Ring of Fire cause fuck describing a third place for elves, just give it to Gandalf. The only reasons the elves fucked off to the West was because being stuck in a specific place, regardless how big, was crushing their spirits. They hated seeing the world get more fucked up and they hated not having the power to deal with it. So one by one they got emo and left until there was basically none left.

Because in the books they literally don't answer to anybody. The only reason they answer to Gandalf is because he has sway with the eagles. The eagles were a science experiment by the Valar. Create intelligent creatures. Originally they had Fear but then Tolkien retconned them to not have Fear. So they're intelligent beasts rather than Fear(ful).

Wrong. The Eagles were one of the few things that would have been incorruptible, they weren't immune to being killed by Felbeasts or various other weapons. Only creatures with Fear could be corrupted, that was the point.

Eye of Sauron would see them and the nazgul would kill them. The long trip was about stealth, not about moving from point A to B. All convenience must be shirked if it provides even a 1% chance of the Ring returning to Sauron.

Why didn't they just throw it really far away lol. Flawed writing

>be seen from miles away
>get shot down

Because of Eye of Sauron would have seen them obviously, I have no idea why this is considered some kind of plothole.

Because it's babbys first plothole. As in, there isn't one. Tolkien was autistic as fuck and every single plothole or 'solution' is brought up numerous times by Tolkien and explained why it won't work.

>HUR DUR JUST FLY TO MOUNT DOOM ON EAGLES
Eagles only answered to Gandalf cause he was a friend. Radaghast was the only other one they'd do favours for. They were favours. The Eagles were not invincible or without number. They would have died before they passed the Black Gate.

>HUR DUR THROW IN THE OCEAN
This is literally the solution Glorfindel suggests and Gandalf schools him, a fucking God imbued Elf from the Second Age brought back from the dead, that it would find it's way back to Sauron. A fish would eat it, which would then purposefully get itself caught by a Easterling or a bird and so on and so forth all the way to Mordor.

>HUR DUR GIVE IT TO BOMDADIL HE'S GOD LOL
Bombadil is Tolkien's self insert, Goldberry is his waifu. Gandalf also schools the Council on this suggestion saying that Sauron will still get it. Either Bombadil would lose it or not. End is the same. World is destroyed, Bombadil also goes with it.

>LOCK IT IN A MAGICAL BOX THAT DOESN'T EXIST AND HIDE IT IN BOMBADIL IN THE OCEAN AND AND AND AND USE THE THREE RINGS TO SEAL IT AWAY
And Gandalf also explains that even if they found a hiding place that Sauron could not find (he would find it) and could not reach (he would make it reach him) that Sauron will, with or without the ring, destroy Middle Earth.

tl;dr The Ring had to be destroyed as Sauron's soul was in it and hiding it would just allow Sauron to gain his strength and bleed the Free People dry until everybody was dead. The Ring had to be destroyed. That was the whole point of going to the Council.

Actually they would be super easily corrupted because of their pride and arrogance

Again, they didn't have Fear. They couldn't be corrupted. That was the point. The Ring corrupted your Fear. That is what turned you evil. It used your wants, desires and shit against you to do that. The Eagles did not have Fears, so they did not have anything to corrupt.

If they were corruptible they'd have been corrupted long ago, like when they fought Ancalagon the Black.

>give eagles the ring
>now you have evil eagles dominating Middle Earth

come on OP, think about it for a second

Why didn't Tolkien just not write Lord of the Rings?

Source on it corrupting only your fear? Because IIRC it corrupts everything. Hell The Hobbits are very fearful and they are the slowest to corrupt.

>If they were corruptible they'd have been corrupted long ago, like when they fought Ancalagon the Black.

and this is just ridiculously wrong.

serious question: why didn't sauron just tell some of his army to guard mount doom?

Because he thought Aragorn had the ring.
That was the whole point of the march on the black gate.

Uhh he did? The hobbitses snuck around them.

Even better question; Why didn't Sauron just seal the entrance to Mt. Doom?

Why would he need access to the volcano if he was done forging rings?

>The Ring corrupted your Fear.
>The Eagles did not have Fears
>If they were corruptible they'd have been corrupted long ago, like when they fought Ancalagon the Black.

Why are LOTR threads filled with people making up complete and total bullshit?

Cos he was a faglord that liked his holes open lol

Sauron BTFO

Because it's his forge.

Again, the only reason he would seal it up is he for one second thought anyone would want to sneak into Mordor and destroy the Ring, which he never ever thought. In fact he literally does the opposite. The path kept getting fucked up by the eruptions of Mt. Doom, and Sauron actively kept it clear with orcs clearing it.

>A fish would eat it, which would then purposefully get itself caught by

so just tie it to a giant rock first then drop it in the ocean. checkmate you dumb bitch

arrogance

The rope would rot

Krakens nigga

they can lift rocks

put the ring inside a big rock
seal the rock
drop the rock in the sea
problem solved

Nope.

Erosion bruh

but by that time the ring would already be far under the ocean floor
checkmate tolkienfags

And there it would be picked up by evil creatures

>explained MULTIPLE TIMES that Sauron's armies are unbeatable and he will win even without the ring
>hurr durr why don't they just hide it or throw it in the ocean hurr

>>explained MULTIPLE TIMES that Sauron's armies are unbeatable
>they get beaten every important time
is tolkien a hack?

those were "tactical retreats" not losses

>completely fail to achieve objective of battle
>t-they didn't lose

Hey, it worked for America why not Sauron?

No but seriously, yeah he lost every battle he was in but he had something none of the other races had: numbers

He was winning the war through attrition

Why didn't they get Tom bombadill to take the ring to mordor?

why didnt aragorn forge his own ring of power?

Tom doesn't give a shit

Exactly give him the ring, and make sure he handrolls his way down the mountain lava.

Tom literally gives no shits and would lose it or give it away

because he can't do magic like the elves of old

that's the thing, you can't make Tom do anything. He's the ultimate independent man.

why didn't frodo just use the invisibility powers of the ring to sneak into the volcano?

>Sealing up the entrance to a still-active volcano so the pressure gradually builds up.

Yeah that sounds super fucking safe

when he puts it on it's corrupting influence becomes stronger, as does it's proximity to the volcano/sauron.

So him putting it on right by the volcano would insta-corrupt him.

You do know Fear = Soul, right? It's called Fear by Tolkien iirc. Or Féar or something daft. I remembered it thinking it was a reference to fearing your eternal soul or some shit. That's what I meant. The Eagles were changed to not having a soul, so they couldn't be corrupted.

They didn't have souls. Fuck off.

>Fëa and Hröa, fëar and hröar in plural forms, are Quenya words for "soul" (or "spirit") and "body".

Suck my dick. Practice what you preach.

This. I have yet to see a single supposed plot hole in these threads that isn't very firmly rebuked. Tolkien knew his shit.

Hey man, he could've drilled vents or some shit.

Also it's not like he gives a fuck about the land or the orcs around the volcano.

What happened to Tom at the end?

When he puts it on, he becomes extremely visible to Sauron and the Nine.

There were giant krakens capable of crushing rock and sinking islands, bitch. And as I said, even if they managed to do it and hide it away forever. Sauron would STILL win. The Elves would eventually fuck off to the West, the Men would be ground down by Saurons armies or enslaved to him. That's it. Gone. Killing the Ring kills Sauron. That then meant that Men would rule forever more. Elves over the next 100 years or some shit fucked off to the West and left the humans. Sure the humans killed each other and Orcs and shit from then on but there was no force capable of destroying the world.

Nobody knows.

Depending on what theory you subscribed to he either; Died peacefully, lived until the end of time, or dissipated with nature.

He's still there. Gandalf goes to visit him and parts ways with the hobbits on their way back to the Shire.

I'm no expert on the lore, but just look at the clusterfuck it was for a company made of two numenorean superwariors, an elf who is literally perfect, a meme dwarf who still can fuck shit up, a wizzard with godly powers and loyal to the end hobbits to take the ring. The point of frodo being the one to take the ring was that he was pretty unnoticeable.

They had to DESTROY the ring. It was the only way to stop Sauron from zerg rushing all of Middle Earth. His army in Return of the King at the Black Gate was literally the army to just walk over everyone. He had thousands upon thousands of orcs and kept making them like it was nothing.

plus all the easterner/southerner/sea niggers at his disposal

The ring made him invisible to normal people, but became a giant blinking alarm to Sauron and the ringwraiths. The longer he wears it, the better sense they have of his exact location.

It's why you see Sauron shit his fucking pants when Frodo slips the ring on in Mount Doom. The last time he knew of its presence was when Boromir sperged out on Frodo, then all of a sudden it turns out the ring was in THE ONE PLACE where it could be destroyed.

Tolkien didn't cover literally everything and wrap it all up. Like he didn't explain who the Dorwinnion people were. He didn't explain why the Haradim Royal Lines died out. He didn't explain in detail who the Maulids or however they're spelled were. He didn't even talk about what Mordor was like before Sauron arrived in the start of the 2nd Age. It was just a place. He didn't explain what the Iron Hills was like (though in universe he hand waved it as they didn't tell anybody much) or all the names of the other Dwarf Holds were called.

Technically not Numenoreans. The more generations you have, the weaker you get. Elendil is more powerful than Aragorn for example.

Frodo took the ring because hindsight gave Gandalf the belief he was the right for the choice. The Ring twists your desires. Want to be rich? It'll make you rich; or at least try to be rich. Want an Empire? It'll make you powerful but it'll do it just so it can get back to daddy, it'll make you get killed. Hobbits? Hobbits just want food, drink, a warm home and friends and family. Bilbo survived because when he got home he had everything he wanted. The Ring couldn't trick him into getting anything else or trying to. Same for Frodo, though obviously it was harder cause Sauron was more potent at this point.

Also I'm pretty sure Hobbits had some innate resistance to magic.

>It's why you see Sauron shit his fucking pants when Frodo slips the ring on in Mount Doom. The last time he knew of its presence was when Boromir sperged out on Frodo, then all of a sudden it turns out the ring was in THE ONE PLACE where it could be destroyed.

Man I would have loved to see the look on Saurons face...

Are there actually any legit plotholes in this series?

Not really. Tolkien was super anal about that stuff. These threads keep getting made but I've never seen anyone come even close to making a truly good argument.

whats that

I've theorised you're more likely to get a thread going if you post a bait worthy intro than if you try and actually talk about it. Why do you think Rick and Morty or LOL AT MARVELKEKS threads get made constantly? Easy replies. It's sad.

What was this thing?

>Hobbits? Hobbits just want food, drink, a warm home and friends and family. Bilbo survived because when he got home he had everything he wanted. The Ring couldn't trick him into getting anything else or trying to. Same for Frodo, though obviously it was harder cause Sauron was more potent at this point.
>Also I'm pretty sure Hobbits had some innate resistance to magic.

I think Tolkien was trying to convey the willpower of ordinary folk. Hobbits themselves weren't so resistant to the ring on the fact that they were Hobbits, but rather the mindset they had as Hobbit folk.

Bilbo just wanted to prove himself in front of some dwarves, and Frodo wanted to help Gandalf and his friends.
They have a simple goal that is never bogged down in social games to appear virtuous, they are to the point, open and honest about their intentions.

Sam is the best example because when he had the ring he was tempted by it to put it on and become Samwise the Strong and turn all of Middle Earth into a beautiful garden. Then he had a thought ring out in his head, and he realized that wasn't what he wanted. All he wanted to do was help Frodo.

>And far away, as Frodo put on the Ring and claimed it for his own, even in Sammath Naur the very heart of his realm, the Power in Barad-dûr was shaken, and the Tower trembled from its foundations to its proud and bitter crown. The Dark Lord was suddenly aware of him, and his Eye piercing all shadows looked across the plain to the door that he had made; and the magnitude of his own folly was revealed to him in a blinding flash, and all the devices of his enemies were at last laid bare. Then his wrath blazed in consuming flame, but his fear rose like a vast black smoke to choke him. For he knew his deadly peril and the thread upon which his doom now hung.

>From all his policies and webs of fear and treachery, from all his stratagems and wars his mind shook free; and throughout his realm a tremor ran, his slaves quailed, and his armies halted, and his captains suddenly steerless, bereft of will, wavered and despaired. For they were forgotten. The whole mind and purpose of the Power that wielded them was now bent with overwhelming force upon the Mountain. At his summons, wheeling with a rending cry, in a last desperate race there flew, faster than the winds, the Nazgûl the Ringwraiths, and with a storm of wings they hurtled southwards to Mount Doom.

why didn't they just give the ring to it?

they didn't want/dare to
sauron would've spotted them
they would've been killed
sauron would've gotten the ring and won

At Helm's Deep Gimli since he hasn't cut anything with his axe but wood since Moria, even though they had fought Orcs at Amon Hen.

Why didn't they just use a catapult to get the ring to Mt. Doom?

HP Lovecraft's cameo

an ancient being

because it wouldn't be able to hold on to it for long

>don't throw it in the ocean cos a fidh would eat it xdddd

retarded

Did he actually kill any orcs there though?

How many ancient beings are there in the Lord of the Rings universe?

I think the idea of a Orc raping a blonde, wholesome Rohan women is very hot

>WTF I THOUGHT ARAGORN HAD IT
>THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING I'M IN CHARGE HERE

yeah but he's just throwing an ever growing number of orcbodies at everyone. He's just outpopulating no matter how many losses. It's like an unending and overwhelming hoarde. The ring goes boom and then you have the drain plugged, yadda yadda, things go the way of the hobbit men elves.

A LOT

It's an ancient universe filled with long lived creatures

The point was that Gandalf wanted to come up with a plan that would be a final solution rather than just delaying Sauron from reclaiming the Ring.

>'Alas!' said Legolas, coming to Aragorn's side. 'We have hunted and slain many Orcs in the woods, but we should have been of more use here. We came when we heard the horn-but too late, it seems. I fear you have taken deadly hurt.'

Unless Legolas was being humble by saying "we."

> The whole mind and purpose of the Power that wielded them

Wait, so Sauron is mind controlling everyone or is like Palpatine with his "battle meditation"?

I don't think he's mind controlling everyone in the sense that he's playing an RTS, but rather he's influencing them like a whisper in their head or a force that guides them to do his will. Almost like when you feel a NEED to browse Sup Forums everyday. You don't need to, but you do it anyway because some part of you wants to keep coming back.

But it probably turns into full mimd control if you're smart enough to figure out what's going on and get mind raped like Professor X is fucking your brain.

Because unless you're full blown retarded you'd understand that Sauron would see them coming a mile away and shoot them down from the sky

He didn't say that. Gandalf said it would find it's way back to land and then to Sauron. People ask 'how' and an example would be a fish eats it which is then caught and then cut open and then a man puts the ring on and gets corrupted and so on and so forth until it's back with Sauron. That's ignoring the minor mentioned monsters of the deep which answer to Sauron.

Yeah I couldn't remember if it was stated Hobbits had resistance to magic somewhere.

No. Sauron would destroy Middle-Earth with or without the Ring. Not only are the Orcs numberless (they were all rape babies descended from the original corrupted Elves), but Orcs were getting strongest the more they bred, not weaker. For example, Orcs were pretty pathetic but they ordered Goblins around. Orcs were bossed around by leader Orcs. Pretty sure there were Mannoran Orcs or something like that were stronger, smarter and tougher than normal Orcs and were bred in Mordor. Uruk-Hai were strongest than Orcs and even they were stronger in Mordor.

I can't remember the reason for this if it was the amount of ancestors they had or if it was because they were next to Mordor. Uruk-Hai were specific bred and I can't remember how. Pretty sure it was just magic + rape babies but I can't remember.

So while a human might kill 10 Orcs before dying, 20 Orcs were coming out of Mordor and the dark places and were getting stronger every time. Not only that but several races of man were supporting Sauron.

End of the day, Gondor and Rohan would die. Eventually the Elves would get emo enough to leave or would get killed. I don't think their havens could be penetrated even if Sauron had the ring. Who knows. I can't remember.

tl;dr Sauron would win even without the ring. Orcs could never run out of troops.

>descended from the original corrupted Elves

*Men

>For example, Orcs were pretty pathetic but they ordered Goblins around.
Again, why do people pretend they've read Lord of the Rings? Orcs=goblins.

One of the biggest areas Tolkien fucked up was in describing Goblins, Orcs, and Uruks

Nobody knows wtf they are

Uruks at least were fairly well described as the largest and most elite warriors. Goblins and orcs are pretty much interchangeable.