KILGRAVE in Jessica Jones: The Ultimate Female Power Fantasy

Jessica Jones got a lot of praise from critics for deconstructing the male power fantasy with the character Kilgrave, a creepy wormy guy who gets whatever he wants from unwilling women through mind control. By putting this character on the screen, critics say, the show's creators triumphantly destroyed popular male fantasies, depicting a man driven by his own desire, without empathy or concern for consent.

But what the writers really accomplished, unwittingly, was to show their own female power fantasy, to splash their hypocritical doublethink all over the screen. Kilgrave, more than anything, embodies the Martin Shkreli type, whose power and influence get this creepy nerd figure all the sexual satisfaction he could never hope for otherwise. But how does this character Kilgrave really embody "rape culture"?

The fact is, a majority of women are not raped, assaulted or taken advantage of by some sociopathic creepy stranger. Look at the real faces of sexual violence: The frat bro who flirts with a sorority chick at the party, then finds her unconscious later. The tinder date who she's attracted to, but gets impatient with her refusal to put out and roofies her. The ex boyfriend who posts her nudes online out of spite. Always someone she trusted, liked or led on. How much easier it would be if some random freak or outcast just attacked her and freed her from any complicity, but sadly that's never how it happens.

Enter Kilgrave: A figure based on the qualities that truly repulse women, now given the ability and motivation to harm them. Jessica Jones gets to walk away without ever being forced to contend with accountability for the situation she put herself in, because like all of Kilgrave's victims, accountability is removed from the equation. What is this, if not the perfect fantasy for a woman? She gets a true villain, a combination of the outcast figure she despises for simply existing, and the men in her life she despises for their actions.

>decades of male power fantasy trope
>one show turns the tables
>"waaaaaaaa I'm being oppressed"

Fuck off, it's embarrassing. Feminism is retarded but so is breaking down capeshit into some pseudo political propaganda

It really is.
>I have the power to control anyone and make them do anything!
>All I want to do is creep on ladies and make them do sex acts.
Worse villain ever.

This is Sup Forums bait, but it's also wrong.

Kilgrave is not repulsive or unattractive, nor is he meant to be. He's not a sleazy Martin Shkreli type, he's a kid who was never told no. His obsession with Jessica, when he could have any woman in the world, is reflective of this. He only wants her because she's the only person capable of telling him no.

Just go to any tumblr page about Kilgrave, he's seen as a tragic, sexy figure.

The fundamental dilemma women face is that they have no use for the losers and outcasts in life who may have some strange personal habits and characteristics but will do them no harm, while they have plenty of use for the high-testosterone, aggressive males who are more likely to rape, assault and beat them. The public narrative, therefore, is gradually being rewritten to project the latter's undesirable qualities onto the former, and while Jessica Jones may be fiction, the praise for "tackling real-life issues" through Kilgrave cannot be ignored.

>Just go to any tumblr page about Kilgrave, he's seen as a tragic, sexy figure.
Like Kylo Ren, its hilarious how much the two side project on eachother

If Kilgrave was capable of larger schemes of world domination, then he would be an Avengers-level threat. His small ambitions and shallow interests are emblematic of his regressed maturity. He's a child.

Female perspectives vastly dominate the mainstream media narrative, from productions to reviews. And much like Kilgrave, they are abusing their power egregiously.

yeah, its almost like if Sup Forums never watched jessica jones

no one watched it

the poster has a point, the people who rape are not the people who look like kilgrave. the writers simultaneously assign the type of actions they don't like onto the type of guys they don't like, therefore obfuscating the truth: the men they do like do the raping, and they just internalize it and project it back on to the men they don't.

Fuck off

Ugh, I hate loser guys like Kilgrave. Luke Cage gets what he wants be being sexy. Kilgrave has to trick girls because he's an ugly weirdo creep. Gross!

You know who develop entitlement complexes because they were never told "no" in real life? Not mutants who grow up with mind control powers, but instead desirable people, like the top 1% of men likely coveted by the writers of Jessica Jones, as well as a disproportionately larger number of women.

I watched it and it was legit the best of the netflixEU, and OP is wrong as fuck

OP here and you honestly worded it way better than me.

you guys are projecting this loser appearance onto kilgrave because he resembles you

0/10

>You know who develop entitlement complexes because they were never told "no" in real life? Not mutants who grow up with mind control powers

You know a lot of mutants who grow up with mind control powers?

>implying this board is not filled with conservative SJWs

Literally me

>conservative SJWs

lol, that's the core of the female fantasy at play here. Kilgrave is a figure whose super powers give him the entitlement complex condemned by feminists, without having to have any of the qualities that actually spawn that entitlement, qualities women find desirable.

Please fuck off back to Sup Forums. You're a different side to the same shitty, obnoxious, overly sensitive coin.

One day you will learn that everyone hates a centrist.

It's true.

What are SJWs? People who whine endlessly about the media, about representation of their ethnic groups, and about what constitutes appropriate language.

Sup Forums used to just laugh at liberals. Now you act like them. All the anime reaction images in the world is going to change that.

Woah this really made me think. Upvoted.

>(((Hollywood))) ruined muh childhood is ruined because they made the feather duster in Beauty and the Beast black
>(((Critics))) only hate Iron Fist because they kept the character white. The fact that the show is unwatchable doesn't matter

You're deluded if you think Sup Forums is anything but conservative SJWs

Is this a relativey serious discussion? On Sup Forums? This timeline is weird.

Except for the user equating SJWs with conservatives. Back to pol

>Sup Forums is just the same as SJWs!

One of these perspectives is filtered into 99% of every piece of media you consume on a day to day basis. The other is publicly condemned and, in most densely populated areas, downright dangerous to speak about in real life.

That dismissive attempt at humor with nothing substantive behind it? SJW behavior.

>Except for the user equating SJWs with conservatives

No, equating Sup Forums with SJWs.

Both are extremes and both are better off if ignored. What's your point?

>Things I don't like = SJW

The irony is quite palpable.

>One of these perspectives is filtered into 99% of every piece of media you consume on a day to day basis. The other is publicly condemned and, in most densely populated areas, downright dangerous to speak about in real life.

Right-wing politics aren't condemned, they are sweeping elections.

And since Sup Forums is an overwhelming conservative website, you are the overbearing perspective. You are the one sucking up to power. Liberalism publicly condemned on this site.

You literally fall into hysterics if someone so much as questions the President.

>One of these perspectives is filtered into 99% of every piece of media you consume on a day to day basis.

Wait, are you talking about heteronormative white male privilege and the patriarchy? Because that's exactly what SJWs say about heteronormative white male privilege and the patriarchy. Either way, I don't really see it.

>Things that SJW typically engage in = SJW

It's not very complicated.

So since you also need to sleep, eat, and breathe I guess that means you're exactly the same as a SJW as well.

What a purposefully obtuse and completely unsubstantial non-argument.

David Tennant is obviously not an ugly guy in real life, but remember he's put into a TV show where the standard for sexual desirability set by the woman he covets is Mike Colter. People don't like seeing legitimately ugly people on TV so they can't cast Kilgrave as a truly greasy or deformed man, but he's just physically small and nerdy-looking enough that in TV-world, he can believably play an undesirable creep.

I suspect you may be reverse-projecting, but full disclosure: I am a man, Kilgrave appeared creepy to me, not particularly 'attractive', and I am a chubby man with curly hair, I don't really look like him.

That said, you could say I'm projecting a mental image of myself, but I'm also not a hard-for-love-making type, that is, I get laid often enough to not carry this sort of resentment towards women.

So I'm just going to say you're wrong.

I don't see what taking a reasonable argument to the point of absurdity is supposed to proof. Can you honestly not think of a genuine difference between hardline conservatives and SJWs?

Just like equating Sup Forums to SJWs on the basis of "complaining about things they don't like".

>Kilgrave, more than anything, embodies the Martin Shkreli type, whose power and influence get this creepy nerd figure all the sexual satisfaction he could never hope for otherwise.

Yeah, you're overthinking this a lot. Kilgrave was made to look like an archetypal villain. He looks like Martin Shkreli because Martin Shkreli looks like the kind of guy you want to punch in the face. It's Marvel we're talking about here. It's not deep.

>a villain whose main weakness is earplugs

The whole series is crap

JJ is a repugnant, hypocritical cunt

That's not the argument I made though, I explicitly explained the similarities between the two groups.

No, I am equating Sup Forums to SJWs on the basis of "catastrophizing innocuous non-issues as if they were the downfall of civilization."

Let's look at Jessica Jones as an example

Jessica Jones is...

>To a normal person
A neat little Marvel show that is trying to cater more toward a female demographic. Oh look, they cast the guy from 'Doctor Who' as the villain because he's popular with the intended audience.

>To an SJW
WHY AREN'T THERE MORE FEMALE WRITERS? PATRIARCHY REEEEEEEEEEEE

>To a conservative SJW
WHY IS THERE A FEMALE LEAD? THEY'RE TURNING THE FROGS GAY! THE VILLAIN SHOULD BE A CHAD OR ELSE THIS IS PROPAGANDA REEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Thread devolves into redditors arguing about buzzwords
>Still nobody who can rebut the point of the OP

Why are you pretending to be another person, OP?

I'm not really, but both the original point and still stands. But please, feel free to ignore arguments that make you uncomfortable but hard to deny, and continue your universally derailing reddit argument about buzzwords.

Let's do Stranger Things next

Stranger Things is...

>To a normal person
A neat little throwback show that, while derivative as all hell, works better at creating a sense of nostalgia than a straight remake of something like 'Stand By Me' or 'ET'.

>To an SJW
A racist piece of shit because there's not enough POCs in this small Indiana town in the early 1980s. It's also homophobic because they use the word 'fag' a lot. Kind of like people did in the early 1980s.

>To a conservative SJW
Female propaganda because there is a le stronk female character. It also normalizes trans-faggotry because the little girl has a buzzcut and the little boy is kind of girly (not even memeing, this is an argument that gets brought up on Sup Forums regularly).

>THEY'RE TURNING THE FROGGOS GAY!

>>Thread devolves into redditors arguing about buzzwords
>>Still nobody who can rebut the point of the OP

see
The problem is that your point was not nearly as strong as you thought it was.

>: A figure based on the qualities that truly repulse women
Wtf really

I would love to respond to your post OP, but first I'm going to need for you to admit to being the OP.

I can't argue in bad faith, after all.

>Fuck off, it's embarrassing. Feminism is retarded but so is breaking down capeshit into some pseudo political propaganda

It wasn't the poltards who started it though desu

>triumphantly destroyed popular male fantasies, depicting a man driven by his own desire, without empathy or concern for consent.

How is this original? It's a dime a dozen story.

>Jessica Jones gets to walk away without ever being forced to contend with accountability for the situation she put herself in

So just like in real life then.

zzzzzzzz

There's nothing to break down. All corporate media is corporate propaganda

Kilgrave is the male version of western women. Today's women are the most spoiled people in human history. Like Kilgrave, all women have to do is open their bitch mouths and everybody rushes to do their bidding. Beta males, corporations, politicians, judges. Now even science is bending to their will. Gender doesn't even exist anymore, because women declared it hurts their stupid feelings.

Western women have it all, but like Kilgrave, they have never been more miserable. Deep in their black hearts, women know that they have done absolutely nothing to deserve their lofty pedestal.