If you have asthma, then tough luck

Chris Froome kept winning in cycling despite being an asthmatic. Training in harsh condition has hindered his lung capacity, which is why he had to keep taking asthma medication.
In Tour de Spain he was in such a poor condition that he had to take a double dose, which allowed him to win by a large margin. And here we come across a paradox where healthy competitors are unable to keep up with a sick man who himself said was in extremely poor condition before the race in Spain.

If training in harsh conditions causes your lungs to stop functioning at a desired level, then you are not fit for that sport and should either find a different discipline, go study or start working. When sick people dominate the sport, you should that something is definitely not right.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7OcldMG932o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump for discussion

You should try this early tomorrow.

>asthmaletes

For me, it's legalizing all PEDs.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous.
>make strict doping rules
>hand out TUEs to pretty much everone you feel like
Great job WADA.

OAN

Good post

Don't see the issue with doping desu, people watch the Olympics because they want to see peak human performance. How is doping any different to eating healthily or exercising regularly? You can argue that doping puts poorer countries at a disadvantage since they don't have the money to compete with countries that can spend more money on PEDs, but those poor countries are disadvantaged by having worse training facilities and worse equipment anyway.

not all PED's are safe
giving people free reign to abuse them is blatantly unethical, the athletes are too competetive to protect their own health so we must save them from themselves with rules and regulation

here comes the Asthma Golds Defense force.

I remember taking a physiology college course with a Icelandic professor who had once been a pro XC skier. I remember they presented a study on the percentage of asthmatics in XC skiing, which was like 90% or some astounding number compared to the general population. Essentially, everyone is an asthmatic because the broncodilators used to treat asthma improve lung function so well.

>If training in harsh conditions causes your lungs to stop functioning at a desired level, then you are not fit for that sport and should either find a different discipline, go study or start working.

That's still a bit extreme imo.

is this how it feels to be american? Everyone attacking you for always winning

youtube.com/watch?v=7OcldMG932o

Are you tired of winning yet?

>implying any of those athletes needed inhalers in the first place

I bet you think those long distance runners needed thyroid medication too

>trying to appeal to americans to back you up
not so fast lunglet

Is the premise that the legal asthma medication is doping? You know that is a meme for coping with Norway winning so much right and not actually true, right?

pretty sure the canadian xc skiers have asthma as well, m8

You do realise that "what is legal" changes on a regular basis?
From an ethical point of view it doesn't make sense for a sick competitor (by sick i don't not mean the competitor has just any sickness, but one that if treated can heal and further aid him), who suffers from a decreased lung capacity in prolonged harsh condition, to dominate over a non-sick competitor.

If asthma medication only eliminated the handicap, then I'd see noproblem. But science is decades if not centuries away from being able to give a specific person just the right dose to only rix the problem and not give him an advantage.
Until then the only viable solution tha makes sense is to prohibit asthma medication and thus weed out the athletes with genetics not intended for harsh conditions.

i'd love this. the problem is that places like china and russia will (continue to) run in house super athlete farms, juice their kids from childhood, regardless of the medical issues. you're essentially forcing every other athlete to take PEDs just to keep up

You're assuming they actually are asthmatic. How do we know it's not a bogus diagnosis just to get the medication? I honestly don't know how stringent the testing is, like if it's simply enough to say "doc, I'm having trouble breathing," or if they run some real tests.

>forced East German shotputterism