What will it take to make this a major sport in these United States?

What will it take to make this a major sport in these United States?

pro/rel league setup?
more extensive amateur programs?
local rivalries like in college football and basketball?
introducing ‘ultras’ fan culture?

Other urls found in this thread:

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campeonato_de_Primera_División_1891_(Argentina)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_Primera_División
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Heart. Which is never going to happen

probably like 50 million more Mexicans

Halftime shows

let them use their hands and make it more like football.

i.e., rugby

this
give it 25 years

pro/rel will have no discernible effect on fan interest
amateur programs are already extensive
local rivalries would help a lot
fake ultras already exist - its cringy, and real ones would only foster disgust.

it's literally just exposure and societal taste. at the moment, its sparsely covered by sports media and you can't watch first rate players in our country or our time zone.

>introducing ‘ultras’ fan culture
>wanting people to get shot over divegrass games

good leadership from the top of their national federation
given the outcome of their recent election, don't hold your breath

Unironically throw more money at it. Foreigners at the start or peak of their careers need to be attracted and local young talent need a reason to pick football as their sport of choice instead of american football, basketball or baseball.

We need old school aussie wogball. Instead of this mls shit give us mexican, salvadoran, italian, jewish, arab etc. lads who will run through walls for the local club and kick each other in the shins a lot

Imagine how much money we could throw at it...

>fake ultras already exist - its cringy, and real ones would only foster disgust.
ha ha, yeah there's some sports talk radio host here in Excremento who's always trying to talk up the EPL and wants to introduce soccer-style singing at Kings games.

it's like, WTF, dummy, you're in goddam sacramento. be thankful the kings didn't leave.

>What will it take to make this a major sport in these United States?
essentially drop the franchise system for a club system, also your media dedicating more time to it and years.

>pro/rel league setup?
with a franchise system?
I don't think so, make them clubs and this might work in a possitive way
>more extensive amateur programs?
that'd help in my opinion, yes.
I know that I'll repeat myself a lot but this would happen organically with clubs instead of franchises and a proper league system.
>local rivalries like in college football and basketball?
that should happen organically in my opinion, again another negative trait of the franchise system.
>introducing ‘ultras’ fan culture?
I don't think this would change anything 2bh

Why do you want to be like everyone else. Boring, dull, and unoriginal. It's a scary thought that people want to make the entire world a monoculture, the same way that religions try to spread to every country on Earth.

Literally just wait for the insane mexican/guatemalan birth rate to kick in and the affirmative action programs which will create a huge number of wealthy mestizo/indio americans to take effect. That's all. It's just a matter of time, nothing more.

>muh pormotion and relegation, muh local club system
Lol, that's the #1 way to kill the sport in this country. You're coming at it from the perspective of a country that has know nothing but soccer. It doesn't work that way in America, where there are already 4 sports bigger. A team gets relegated? The fans won't follow. The latinos already prefer a foreign club (Mexican or Spanish). The non-latinos prefer teams in other sports. If a club gets relegated in Chicago or Boston, that club dies. Nobody will care. Everyone will move on to the Bears/Hawks/Cubs or the Pats/Bruins/Sox.

The only way to make soccer work in the US is for billionaires to force it onto us for a loss on their own part. Any extra risk like relegation or the notion of fan-owned clubs or even independent clubs simply will not happen.

No one wants to watch that shitty sport here besides beaners.

>Pl
>Singing

the loss of basketball/football/baseball

>You're coming at it from the perspective of a country that has know nothing but soccer.
and you're comming from an exclusively non soccer audience perspective that only knows franchises.
proper clubs with members being the owners and a promotion-relegation system rewards effort instead of just buying your way into a league.
if you have a bunch of people that have sense of belonging (social club) and put together a team to compete and progress through the league system by sheer effort you're effectively making them and all the members of the club feel good about it, and that's how you get hooked.
that's how it happened in my country, and literally every other footballing nation.
we weren't football countries before it existed, it happened because of the club and league system.

Nothing. It isn't an American sport. We don't give a damn and never will. Even if the US wins the world cup.

shut the fuck up trapcode and fuck of back to Pleddit, no one gives a fuck for your boring spectcle wearing opinion.
No one gives a fuck for it in the states, they having their own sports (fucking gay padded one) culture and fucking good on them.

I guess it's better the way you have it now and let them massacre an entire room full of people just because the new batman movie is out.

I'm not a tripcode, it's just for this thread because I'm giving proper opinions instead of mindlessly insulting people like a 5 years old that didn't get to eat dessert, and some other Argentine might jump in and do just that, like you did.
it's so funny that just a nickname on an imageboard triggers you so much, I can't begging to imagine the issues you have.

the best american players need to play in the american league and on top of that the teams need to sign top level talent from abroad to play alongside the top american players.

MODS!!!
This is quite inappropriate considering recent month.
Ban this Dickhead.

Take it somewhere else you fucking boring faggot

>you're not allowed to talk about sports in a board for the discussion of sports because I say so
>insults
sure m8

Even something shitty like Riestra is like 100 years old though, that means if it's your club it's your dad's club, your granddad's club etc.

These MLS clubs (or whatever they are) are brand new, almost all of them are focus grouped stew made by an army of consultants and marketing majors, they have to compete so much for eyeballs here; it's only really the annoying kid in your college dorm's club. I think people tend to ignore how important it is that mls has no history

fix the diving problem and then we'll talk.
Americans don't like pussies.

it will literally never EVER happen because americans are accustomed to seeing the best in the world for everything else
NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL are the peak of their respective sports, but the best soccer players are all in europe and there hasn't been a real star in MLS since beckham
unless billions of dollars are spent bringing guys like messi and kane to the US, soccer will always be a tier below the rest of our sports

>that's how it happened in my country, and literally every other footballing nation.
Your country didn't have established nation-wide professional sports leagues before being introduced to soccer. This is exactly what I was saying in the other post. You're completely ignorant of the circumstances here. The first ever Argentine professional football league was founded in 1891. We have half a dozen baseball teams older than that. The National League, America's oldest professional baseball league, was founded in 1876. We already had a well-established nationwide sport with its own league long before England codified the rules of soccer and started spreading. Baseball was already well underway all the way back during the Civil War, in the early 1860s. That's the difference. We had a national sport. You didn't. So you adopted soccer. We didn't. That "sense of belonging" came with baseball, and later football, never with soccer.

Kaká was in Orlando as well.

Actual clubs or a club-franchise thing.
None of this forced "rivalry cup" shit, like seriously what the fuck is that.
Attract the high school players into the U teams and such. Not that NCAA shit.

Personal idea, have the country split into zones. Central/North, North East, South, and West. Add pro rel in the zones or dont. Top 2 teams from each zone after their season go into a playoff for the National Cup, make THAT the mls cup.

the crowds that would gather to watch football matches in the early 1900's in Argentina were as big as the amount of people that go to stadiums today.
history has nothing to do with popularity.

I’ve heard the MLS game described as being rougher compared with the European leagues.

>the crowds that would gather to watch football matches in the early 1900's in Argentina were as big as the amount of people that go to stadiums today.

Exactly. Argentine soccer attracted massive crowds 100+ years ago. American baseball attracts massive crowds today.

>history has nothing to do with popularity.
You couldn't possibly be more wrong. The history of a sport and its teams has a massive impact on its popularity.

>you're not allowed to talk about sports in a board for the discussion of sports because I say so
you are but it's a fucking troll thread and youre fucking boring to read
>insults
sorry about that Hose A not to sure what came over me
>sure m8
Cringe

>Exactly. Argentine soccer attracted massive crowds 100+ years ago. American baseball attracts massive crowds today.

I may have phrased this poorly. What I meant to say is that Argentine soccer and American baseball both brought in huge crowds 100 years ago, and continue to bring in huge crowds today because of the way sports tend to be passed down father to son and the way they become embedded in a national culture.

Also take away that salary cap and "designated player" shit, like what the fuck.

so the MLS could theoretically be kids grandfathers’ league in the future
although given the current state of US soccer fans, more like kids grandmothers’ husbands’ league

Trying too hard

It will be once Mexicans are the majority

>pro/rel league setup?
Won't work in the US, at least not right now. The current system is allowing for controlled expansion, I wouldn't expect it to change any time soon because there's no desire for it to.

>more extensive amateur programs?
Club and/or university academies aren't going to do it. A national programme would be one of the best ways to go forwards.

>local rivalries like in college football and basketball?
It will help with popularity but ultimately you need the quality players there to stimulate interest.

>introducing ‘ultras’ fan culture?
This would be the worst fucking thing. Please don't do this. That cringy faggot at Seattle should be shot.

>What will it take to make this a major sport in these United States?
It's growing all the time as it is. It's going to be hard to make it a major sport overnight, just let it carry on the way it is and see where it goes.

i'm not going to let that happen.

we've played pato for like 400 years and football still took over it m8
football took off because of the club thing, it's just that good for getting people hooked, you feel part of it.

Oh lad. It's too late

>American baseball attracts massive crowds today
because it's like TV for you mongs, sit around watching boring shit for hours on end whilst forcing to much food into your cakeholes,

The biggest challenge is getting the talented kid from the ghetto to play soccer. Now, it is not financially viable either as a career or even as a participant. Soccer is expensive. The good teams travel extensively and are based in the suburbs. The Olympic development program is a mess and most quality youth team coaches discourage their players from even pursuing it. The High School kid with any talent is recruited away to other sports and the college level is competitive but very white bread. The MLS is a cast off league and white Americans don't care after they graduate.

ah yes, Americans don't have TVs, so they watch baseball. what a stunning post

they're getting too comfortable, making themselves too visible. it's going to be a turkey shoot.

Only homosexual manlets play or watch soccer, so like another poster said more immigrating foreigners I guess.

>>American baseball attracts massive crowds today
ahahahah no what the fuck it doesnt, that guy is absolutely talking out his ass
for a sport thats almost boring as cricket it still gets too many viewers

what if im a homosexual that likes soccer, but im an absolute lanklet (6'4)

No on both counts. Most American soccer fans are chicanos who prefer Liga MX and the Mexican National Team. Out of the non-chicano fans, most prefer the Premier League in England. MLS is in an impossible situation. They obviously want to grow their fanbase. But they're faced with a few problems.

1. The ethnic group most likely to love soccer prefers Liga MX or Barca/Madrid
2. The other ethnic groups prefer other sports (whites like football/basetball/hockey, blacks like football/basketball, asians like basketball/baseball)
3. Their core fanbase are inherently hipsters who will choose their allegiance based on being special and underground

>football took off because of the club thing
No. It took off because you had no organized professional league with wealthy backers beforehand.

>because it's like TV for you mongs, sit around watching boring shit for hours on end whilst forcing to much food into your cakeholes
>because it's like TV

Do you think we don't have TVs? Also for what it's worth your Premier League is often very boring in its own right.

>ahahahah no what the fuck it doesnt
Yes it does. Feel free to look it up for yourself, only the NFL gets more people in attendance per game.

soccer can be cheap as fuck, literally just a ball and goal, that’s part of why it’s so popular with sudaca kids

>because it's like TV for you mongs
>because it's like TV
>it's like TV
>sit around watching boring shit for hours on end whilst forcing to much food into your cakeholes
Mong

practice your headers i guess

no one denies that the USMNT has heart though. progress on the big stage would be beneficial since us Americans love to be patriotic.

the right way about it would be to get european coaches and train the youth at all levels. with a 16 year program, success comes, then the masses and the money follow

>Out of the non-chicano fans, most prefer the Premier League in England.
this
As a non-spic brown American, I feel like i fit in with the Paki/African fanbase of teams like Arsenal and Man Utd far more than MLS shit

>sit around watching boring shit for hours on end whilst forcing to much food into your cakeholes
Are you describing Arsenal vs West Brom?

>no one denies that the USMNT has heart though.
Many people deny that and have been denying it for some time now. We know that our best players would happily play somewhere else, given the chance (Rossi and Subotic). We know that our best players took the easy payday against inferior competition in MLS.

baseball has fucking 81 home games a year and tickets are more expensive than mls, even minor league baseball does really well in some z-tier markets. it's a phenomenal success from a gate perspective

>No. It took off because you had no organized professional league with wealthy backers beforehand.
football didn't become professional in Argentina until the 1930's m8
we had a few well stablished sports here before football arrived.
the sense of belonging to a social club and a good league system that rewards effort is legitimately that good when it comes to spreading sports.

The MLB sells more tickets in a year than any other league on the planet by far. Even the MiLB sells more tickets in a year than the English Premier League.

Really, almost all of the discussion about the pro leagues misses the point.

Almost every kid under 10 or 12 plays soccer but they don’t stick with it and high school rules are too restrictive and the coaching is shitty.

Finding a way to get people from age 10 to senior is the problem here. USSF should do a massive outreach to high schools and help them.

who do white americans root for?

Chelsea
also >us >white

>football didn't become professional in Argentina until the 1930's m8
My spanish is very rusty, I'm only half-latino, but this article seems to imply that you had a professional league in 1891

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campeonato_de_Primera_División_1891_(Argentina)

who ever their Bull follows.

Every white guy i know who isnt a complete Xheattle Xhounders faggot (im from seattle) supports Chelsea or Man City
Chelsea is just really oddly white i never understood it. Tottenham makes a good case for whiteness too
As a 2nd gen pajeet im literally obligated to bandwagon Arsenal

The rest of the world doesn’t understand that we have 300m people so even if only 10% are interested in soccer that’s more than most countries.

And our it just so happens that that’s about our Latino population.

If we fix the problem for the teenage player development it doesn’t matter if they play in mls or wherever we’ll have plenty to spread around.

Apecrash causing literal retardation probably won’t hurt in that regard

>As a 2nd gen pajeet
You made me smell me hand for no reason

did you smell your right or left hand?

the west has been lost.

right

no, it says that our professional league was founded in 1891, because it's the same one that carried on to this day, but it wasn't professional until 1931.
here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_Primera_División
>The Primera División turned professional in 1931 when 18 clubs broke away from the amateur leagues to form a professional one.

MLS should become the Liga MX second division, maybe make it 3 pro-rel slots instead of 1 every year so it gets mixed up pretty fast

mexican D2 is a fucking disaster now and i honestly think this would be enough of a meme to get attention

smells like old semen i bet lol

Boring

did you smell poo? my left hand is my wiping / dingleberry picking hand

no, Liga MX should be second to MLS and MLS salary cap removed
that way American teams buy out all the good spic players as is fitting

semen doesn't smell and i'm not getting your point

>Apecrash causing literal retardation probably won’t hurt in that regard
Niggers and rednecks are retarded to begin with.

>semen doesn't smell
get a load of this guy

Interesting. Again I'm sorry my Spanish is garbage.

Liga MX brings in far more viewers than MLS and it's not even close. Liga MX's playoffs are so popular in America that they can genuinely compete with the NHL playoffs. The entire US Soccer Federation already bows down to the wishes of traitorous chicanos by constantly scheduling friendlies vs mexico in southwestern cities.

Let's drop the pretense. Any city that does not have at least 15% mexican population loses its team, full stop. Any city above this threshold becomes a feeder club to their nearest mexican team.

no.

MLS is the most successful venture in American soccer in god knows how long and these idiots want to """fix""" it with their yurpean """innovations."""

where in that fucking article does it even say the word "professional"?

whats it smell like then

Dude I don't know the spanish word for professional. I thought it was "primera". Like I said I'm only half latino.

fucking kek, i'm anglo and i know what primera means

81808888 get

im gay

why are you trying to acquire knowlege through a language that you clearly can't hande?

t. Doyle

I'm so fucking drunk

>I don't know the spanish word for professional. I thought it was "primera"

wasted get

>I'm not good at spanish
>because I'm only half latino
whay would your fucking ancestry have anything to do with it?
jesus christ these americans.

on cum i assume