Figured I'd give skiing a go after watching these Winter Olympics. My closest ski slope is a dendix dry slope...

Figured I'd give skiing a go after watching these Winter Olympics. My closest ski slope is a dendix dry slope. The second-closest is an indoor real snow slope. If I was to take a skiing course to get up to a recreational standard, the course on the snow slope would end up costing about £25 more than the dry slope after discounts and travel costs are taken into account. Is it worth paying the extra money to ski on real snow? I've heard that dendix can cause quite a few injuries and isn't as good to ski on.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviemore#Climate
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why the fuck would you want to ski on a stupid pretend slope like that. it's like wanting to go swimming but choosing to swim in sand

real snow is easier to ski on, it's not worth frustrating yourself on a dry slope then giving up over a 25 quid difference, plus you'll spend less time getting used to the conditions when you go to a proper resort for the first time

As far as I'm aware, indoor snow slopes are a relatively recent thing so most slopes in the UK are still artificial dry slopes.

How different is skiing on an indoor snow slope to skiing on a proper mountain slope?

that looks so bleak

Thats depressing

that's the most british parkscape I've ever seen

i've never heard of such a thing
what is that ground made of? egg crate foam???

Come here bro. We'll spit in your coffee and answer you in French but at least you'll get real snow.

this is the ski slope Bruno should have killed himself at in Stroszek

The surface is like a brush. Dendix is one of the older materials used on dry slopes though.

I honestly feel kinda bad for you britbong anons for living on such a shitty territory

>fall down

At least you guys have universal health care. Enjoy being disabled i guess?

This is the most picturesque place small heath.

I'm just surprised that we don't bid for the Winter Olympics:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviemore#Climate

Aviemore is the only part of Britain that's guaranteed to have snow in winter. Bid for, say, 2030, and build facilities there.

2012 London Summer was perfect. And we couldn't have had a better Commonwealth Games in Glasgow two years later, so it's not as if we couldn't have such a snow/ice-based event.

Then we'd have our own Skeleton/Bobsleigh track forever. And Scotland is one of only two places on the planet where the only type of granite for Curling stones is found; the other being Wales.

If developers get behind it, it can happen. I don't know about the required rapid transportation standards.

It looks like in the USA now, the only markets that can realistically ever host the Winter Games again are Denver and Salt Lake.

Perhaps Seattle.

In the Northeast, small towns like Lake Placid could never dream of it again.

Theoretically, Boston could be a host city, and events could be spread out around New England region.

>brits can’t afford snow so ski on old toilet brushes

Haha

>Denver
Can't fool the IOC twice.

>The selection process for the 1976 Winter Olympics consisted of four bids, and saw Denver, United States, selected ahead of Sion, Switzerland; Tampere, Finland; and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The selection was made at the 70th IOC Session in Amsterdam on 12 May 1970.[1] In a 1972 referendum, voters in Colorado rejected funding for the games, and for the only time a city awarded the Games rejected them.[2] Denver officially withdrew on 15 November, and the IOC then offered the games to Whistler, British Columbia, Canada, but they too declined owing to a change of government following elections. Whistler would go on to be associated with neighbouring Vancouver's successful bid for the 2010 games. Salt Lake City offered to host the games, but the IOC, still reeling from the Denver rejection, declined and selected Innsbruck to host the 1976 Winter Olympics.

Guess what? Now the people of colorado have extra money to spare.....

and they have a populace that would love to host a month long party.

You'd need some kind of mass transit system from Edinburgh and that's not going to happen

>Putting it now in a city were weed is legal
Hahaha no

Is there a distance limit for how far the venues can be from each other? You could probably have the alpine events up in one of the mountains and have the ice hockey/curling/figure skating/speed skating in one of the large cities like Edinburgh or Glasgow.

why would they NOT do that? the olympic village and venues are segregated from the public areas.

>Smuggle weed back into the village
>Have a blunt session the night before your big event
>Show up to event venue high
>Crash and die in event
>Find out you were high as a kite through autopsy and blood samples

the travel from denver to the alpine center would be a fucking shitshow, they'd probably have to build a rail line and/or expand the highway at least. Massive task but one that's probably needed anyway, traffic is already hell.

Well, Beijing's got the next winter games, how far is it from there to the slopes?

Just hit me real hard finding out that people would even consider skiing on anything that isn't snow, let alone have it be their only option. I don't even like skiing on fucking iced out slopes, imagine doing it on fucking plastic bath mats from a public pool. Fucking depressing, you should move to a real country.

no we don't want that

we already have the x games in colorado

we don't really need "the x games only less interesting and more corrupt"

>outside, but on bristle brushes
>on real snow, but inside
that's would be a genuine conundrum for me

I definitely want it

Goddamn that's depressing :(

Where do all the Australians visiting Whistler come from?

>snow indoors
what will they think of next?

And you all bullied us for not having any medals in the snow Olympics. I hope you feel shame for what you did.